Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346815 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #600 on: September 26, 2015, 01:10:51 am »

Just watched Snowpiercer (finally).  I liked it quite a bit.   People have talked about the political thing, but I don't think that matters for the enjoyment of the film.  It's more, like, just a cool, original experience. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 04, 2015, 09:24:23 pm »

I kind of want to write a thesis about how The Princess Bride is one of the worst love stories ever.
A man has no signature

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 07, 2015, 12:37:43 am »

I kind of want to write a thesis about how The Princess Bride is one of the worst love stories ever.
will you mention that it's a good movie?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 07, 2015, 08:02:42 am »

I feel like it's such a good movie that it shouldn't need that caveat, but I imagine some might assume that criticizing the love story as a criticism of the movie itself.

And one could argue that the movie is about a storybook and that the outrageousness of the romance is satire. I'm not all that familiar with those types of storybooks, so I don't know if such an abusive relationship is the standard. If so, then the movie is all the more brilliant for showcasing that. Still, holding this up as a great love story is like holding up Phantom of the Opera as romantic.
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 07, 2015, 08:19:56 am »

Will you mention that it is the most overrated movie ever?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 07, 2015, 08:57:33 am »

I feel like it's such a good movie that it shouldn't need that caveat, but I imagine some might assume that criticizing the love story as a criticism of the movie itself.

And one could argue that the movie is about a storybook and that the outrageousness of the romance is satire. I'm not all that familiar with those types of storybooks, so I don't know if such an abusive relationship is the standard. If so, then the movie is all the more brilliant for showcasing that. Still, holding this up as a great love story is like holding up Phantom of the Opera as romantic.

Labyrinth depicts a more abusive relationship.  I mean, he stopped time for her!  That ungrateful girl.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:32:05 am by Witherweaver »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 07, 2015, 10:30:08 am »

Ah yes, there's a couple that's fit for the Springer show. He's a manipulative control freak, and she's a spoiled brat. Match made in Hell.

Labyrinth depicts a more abuse relationship.  I mean, he stopped time for her!  That ungrateful girl.
A man has no signature

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 19, 2015, 08:35:46 am »

No mention of "Inside Out"? You have to watch it, it's another Pixar masterpiece.

Also, I have recently watched "Les diaboliques", wow I was amazed how tense it was, definitely another masterpiece.

Other movies I recently watched and enjoyed quite a bit:
- Carnage: I think you either love it or hate it. I laughed very often even though it's not funny. I just disliked the abrupt ending.
- Mr. Nobody: Another movie you'll either love or hate. It's a philosophical movie of a man who lives all the possible lives of a decision. I was especially impressed how well the woman with depression was portrayed in only a couple of scenes.
- Micmacs à tire-larigot: Movie by Jean Pierre Jeunet that I liked more than Amelie.
- Birdman
- La vita è bella
- Tall Man: It's not a great movie by itself, but if you like movies with twists, it might be perfect for you.
- 21 Jump Street: Finally a good comedy
- A History of Violence
- Safe House: I generally am not a fan of Action movies, but this one I enjoyed quite a lot

And I'm looking forward to see "The Martian", probably next week. Anyone seen it yet?

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 19, 2015, 09:20:20 am »

I like Micmacs à tire-larigot a lot, but better than Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain ? Now that's crazy talk.

I'm very intrigued by Mr. Nobody after likin Le tout nouveau testament (also by Jaco van Dormael) a lot; I'd recommend that one, probably.

I'm seeing The Martian tomorrow night, very excited for it.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 19, 2015, 09:25:28 am »

No mention of "Inside Out"? You have to watch it, it's another Pixar masterpiece.

Also, I have recently watched "Les diaboliques", wow I was amazed how tense it was, definitely another masterpiece.

Other movies I recently watched and enjoyed quite a bit:
- Carnage: I think you either love it or hate it. I laughed very often even though it's not funny. I just disliked the abrupt ending.
- Mr. Nobody: Another movie you'll either love or hate. It's a philosophical movie of a man who lives all the possible lives of a decision. I was especially impressed how well the woman with depression was portrayed in only a couple of scenes.
- Micmacs à tire-larigot: Movie by Jean Pierre Jeunet that I liked more than Amelie.
- Birdman
- La vita è bella
- Tall Man: It's not a great movie by itself, but if you like movies with twists, it might be perfect for you.
- 21 Jump Street: Finally a good comedy
- A History of Violence
- Safe House: I generally am not a fan of Action movies, but this one I enjoyed quite a lot

And I'm looking forward to see "The Martian", probably next week. Anyone seen it yet?

The Martian was great.  Science was even not terrible.  Actually, pretty good.  Only a couple of stretches/inconsistencies.  Overall it was well made and well acted.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 19, 2015, 09:28:57 am »

Oh, and A History of Violence.  I really liked that.  It was one of the more... tame, and seemingly straightforward, Cronenberg movies. 

Have you seen Cosmopolis?  It got pretty poor reviews, but I thought it was great. 

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 19, 2015, 09:32:22 am »

Have you seen Cosmopolis?  It got pretty poor reviews, but I thought it was great.

No, but it's already on my watchlist.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 19, 2015, 12:25:09 pm »

I saw the Martian too. It was ok, but I didn't like how American it was, as if the entire world would be on the edge of their seats for the American astronaut to make it home.

EDIT: sicario was a much better film. I recommend that more than the martian.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 19, 2015, 12:51:03 pm »
+1

I haven't seen the Martian, so I can't say if the response would be overblown. But if this was the first manned expedition to Mars, would the world not be entranced by it regardless of nationality?

Though that still wouldn't justify the pretty Ameri-centric stance of our movies.
A man has no signature

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 19, 2015, 02:57:41 pm »

I haven't seen the Martian, so I can't say if the response would be overblown. But if this was the first manned expedition to Mars, would the world not be entranced by it regardless of nationality?

Though that still wouldn't justify the pretty Ameri-centric stance of our movies.

It was the 3rd or 4th mission to mars.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: October 19, 2015, 03:02:31 pm »

I kind of got the impression that it wasn't a huge world-wide issue until later on.  The issue about the lone person being alive and stranded on Mars is kind of a big one; doesn't really matter that he was American. 

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 19, 2015, 06:22:56 pm »

I kind of got the impression that it wasn't a huge world-wide issue until later on.  The issue about the lone person being alive and stranded on Mars is kind of a big one; doesn't really matter that he was American.

But they showed London and people out in the streets waving american flags and stuff. Even if they were out on the streets watching him on big screens, waving american flags? Really? And in China too? I know they helped get him back, but why wave american flags? No Chinese flags? But this is a long running thing with me that I very much don't like hollywood films that act like the US is the king of all countries.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 20, 2015, 03:36:25 pm »

Is Fight Club worth watching when you've already got the twist spoiled?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 20, 2015, 03:52:11 pm »

Yes, it's a great movie. 

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 20, 2015, 03:54:13 pm »
+2

Yes, it's a great movie.

Ugh will you guys quit talking about fight club!  Don't you know the rules?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 20, 2015, 03:55:28 pm »

Considering I rewatch it several times, I suppose so.

It's a gritty, visceral, nihilistic story, and I think it's told pretty well. Even though you know the ending, try to watch it with the mindset of not knowing what's happening, but even knowing the story, that shouldn't change things.

The beginning is pretty much a narration of consumerism gone wild. It has a very jaded point of view, and it's interesting to see how the story evolves from insomnia to domestic terrorism, though it does seem like a pretty outrageous jump. 

And Brad Pitt and Ed Norton do great jobs. I'm not a Brad Pitt fanboy, but I do admire how he's so good-looking, but he's more than willing to take on ugly roles, such as Seven Years in Tibet, Snatch, 12 Monkeys, and of course Fight Club. This was also my first exposure to Helen Bonham Carter, before she became a Tim Burton regular. Her portrayal was good but also creepy because I once dated a girl like her. Not quite as bad but pretty close. That was exhausting (in the good and bad ways).

It makes me wonder about the character who got the fight clubs started. It's one thing when some stranger sees two guys punching each other, and he says he wants to be next, but it's something entirely different when he sees one guy punching himself repeatedly and says he wants to be next. Who the fuck thinks that's a good idea to make eye contact with a whacko like that?
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 21, 2015, 09:22:34 pm »

I finally found out where this meme came from:

I've been wanting to watch Spirited Away for a long time, but finally got around to it last night.  I didn't know this was from it; when I saw the scene I cracked up.

PS: Great movie; everyone watch it.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 22, 2015, 03:22:32 am »
+1

I've been wanting to watch Spirited Away for a long time, but finally got around to it last night.  I didn't know this was from it; when I saw the scene I cracked up.

PS: Great movie; everyone watch it.

And then watch it again.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 24, 2015, 07:59:17 pm »

- Mr. Nobody: Another movie you'll either love or hate.
I didn't love or hate it, just thought it was sort of decent-ish

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 29, 2015, 09:28:33 am »

So I watched Steve Jobs.  I really recommend it, for writing, acting, directing, general movieness.  It is, of course, fictional in the sense of plot, though the major events are true.* In terms of "accuracy", it's kind of like The Social Network; it's meant to be enjoyed as a movie and not a historical piece.

*I should say, I know basically nothing about Steve Jobs, so I'm saying this based on a little bit I looked up. 
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.