Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 347025 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #550 on: August 31, 2015, 09:34:18 pm »

The only good part of the film was the one with the publisher and the nursing home. And that one was great. Everything else wanted to be a 25 min movie, and failed. Sometimes resoundingly.

Did you read the book?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 31, 2015, 11:49:30 pm »

No. You think my opinion would change if I had?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 01, 2015, 11:43:48 am »

Watched Nightcrawler last night. It was very watchable, besides the ending that felt rushed. Jake Gyllenhall did a pretty job I thought.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 01, 2015, 12:01:34 pm »

Grave of the Fireflies/Hotaru no Haka is incredible. Also, very sad. But also very beautiful. You should watch it.

I'm intrigued by Cloud Atlas having watched and mostly liked Sense8. Am I correct in assuming it's pretty similar to that show in spirit ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 01, 2015, 12:04:23 pm »

Grave of the Fireflies/Hotaru no Haka is incredible. Also, very sad. But also very beautiful. You should watch it.

I was just thinking of this movie the other day. I watched it when I was 7. I was never the same again.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: September 01, 2015, 12:06:24 pm »

I really liked Cloud Atlas.  I haven't read the book, but I thought the movie was very well done, especially in terms of storytelling. 

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 01, 2015, 12:16:16 pm »

Watched Nightcrawler last night. It was very watchable, besides the ending that felt rushed. Jake Gyllenhall did a pretty job I thought.

I liked Jake in it, but the story itself felt a bit disjointed, like it didn't really know where it wanted to go. Just show the depths to which his character is willing to stoop (i.e., any and all)? Ok, I guess...

Dunno, I watched it not so long ago, and I felt like it was trying too hard. Plus, the kid was kind of an arse, so I never got emotionally involved in the story, which doesn't help any.

...Man, I am giving so many negative reviews lately.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 01, 2015, 12:24:31 pm »

No. You think my opinion would change if I had?

Maybe.  Or you might enjoy the book a lot and still find the film lacklustre.

@Teproc, you could give it a look.  It's got similar visual flair (of course) but the separate threads/characters are not as connected as in sense8.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #558 on: September 01, 2015, 01:07:37 pm »

Cloud Atlas would be worth watching for the visuals alone. The story is very good, too (in the sense that I like how it conveys the things it's probably supposed to convey; the literal story itself is not all that important IMO). I haven't seen Sense8 though.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:11:26 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 01, 2015, 02:31:00 pm »

Dunno, I watched it not so long ago, and I felt like it was trying too hard. Plus, the kid was kind of an arse, so I never got emotionally involved in the story, which doesn't help any.

An arse ? I mean, he makes bad decisions, but he's never mean. I get the "trying too hard" part, that often stops me from enjoying things (e.g. Schindler's List), but it worked here because I'm a sucker for Ghibli basically.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 01, 2015, 04:57:01 pm »

I had a hard time deciding who I disliked the most, him or the aunt. I understand that his situation sort of excuses his being so spiteful and self-destructive, but at the end of the day, that doesn't make him any more endearing.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 01, 2015, 05:45:10 pm »
+1

I had a hard time deciding who I disliked the most, him or the aunt. I understand that his situation sort of excuses his being so spiteful and self-destructive, but at the end of the day, that doesn't make him any more endearing.

I don't read him as spiteful at all. His aunt is right, but she's a real dick about it, considering they're two kids who just lost their mother.

Obviously (well, for me at least), the real emotional weight of the movie is on the girl anyway, but I felt for the boy as well. Sure he makes mistakes, and is arguably responsible for everything bad that happens eventually, but that doesn't detract from how powerful the story is for me.

To be clear I'm not trying to convince you, that'd be rather pointless, I can see how this can ruin the movie for someone, but I don't see it as flaw in and of itself.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 03, 2015, 10:44:08 pm »
+2

Birdman

or

So You Want to Watch Black Swan but Hate Ballet
A man has no signature

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 04, 2015, 12:11:08 am »

Birdman

or

So You Want to Watch Black Swan but Hate Ballet

I think birdman suffered from not being weird enough. I was really intrigued at the start if the film, when he's floating in his room, with the ambiguous images that flash on screen. But then they just explain everything. It would have maintained the intrigue if they cut the bad CGI, and kept the strange composition and ambiguousness of the birdman persona.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 04, 2015, 12:57:43 am »

I thought Birdman was perfect.  And there was ambiguity through the ending.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 04, 2015, 10:25:01 am »
+1

I thought Birdman was perfect.  And there was ambiguity through the ending.

Don't get wrong I liked it, I just liked the start of the movie much than once they explain everything clearly. It felt like an art movie that was rewritten to be a regular movie.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 08, 2015, 10:37:01 am »

I've seen This is Where I Leave You twice for some reason.

It's pretty good.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 08, 2015, 02:31:11 pm »

I went to see Song of the Sea, an animated film. It's a children's movie, but the style was very pleasant and it was charming. I recommend it, especially if you like 2D animation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 10, 2015, 02:05:18 am »

Rewatched The Lego Movie today on a whim. Wow, I forgot how good that movie was. (Good as in entertaining/fun, there are movies with better artistry, although I would argue Lego Movie has some really cool shots.)
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 20, 2015, 07:45:26 am »

Hey, for a year or so I'm really into movies. I caught up with quite a few of essential stuff that I've missed, and I try to watch all kind of stuff now.
I've recently made a letterboxd account and starting writing reviews. They are not much and I am not really confident in my writing skills (especially in English) but well, it can't really hurt and I'm having fun.

So, here are the two I've written so far (Wolf of Wall Street and Unforgiven) http://letterboxd.com/grujah/films/reviews/
You can also see my account there and the movies that I've watched.  (ratings are a work in progress)

I would REALLY APPRECIATE recommendations - you can see what I've watch, so anything that isn't on that list is fine. genres, age, country - doesn't matter. Anything that I might like, and I do appreciate hidden gems more than some familiar titles (Many of which I have on my "watchlist" :P ) I can't really watch this years movies ATM though as I don't have a good cinema nearby.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 20, 2015, 02:11:33 pm »

I'm on lettebox'd too, I'll follow you right away.

As for recommendations... I think you'd like Blood Simple, I think I saw good ratings for some Coen Bros. films in there. Blood Simple is their first film and it is astoundingly good, one of their best even though you don't hear about is as much.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 20, 2015, 02:18:58 pm »
+1

I recomend Drive. It's a really well done film. A lot of my other favorites you've already watched, but I didn't see The Sting. It's a great Paul Newman/Robert Redford movie.

EDIT: I also recomend the new Dredd movie. And John Wick :P Both good action movies.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:22:14 pm by KingZog3 »

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 20, 2015, 02:37:47 pm »

I'm on lettebox'd too, I'll follow you right away.

As for recommendations... I think you'd like Blood Simple, I think I saw good ratings for some Coen Bros. films in there. Blood Simple is their first film and it is astoundingly good, one of their best even though you don't hear about is as much.

Yeah, i love coen bros! Big Lebowki and Fargo got me, but Burn After Reading is what aealed the deal.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 20, 2015, 02:43:11 pm »

I recomend Drive. It's a really well done film. A lot of my other favorites you've already watched, but I didn't see The Sting. It's a great Paul Newman/Robert Redford movie.

EDIT: I also recomend the new Dredd movie. And John Wick :P Both good action movies.

drive is on my list. Ive seen the sting, as newman / redford duo is what msde butch and sundance so memorable. Redford was great in sting, but i think the movie itself didnt age so well, as the whole hustle thing is a pretty standard thing today so the thrill just wasnt there.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 02:53:20 pm by Grujah »

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 20, 2015, 03:17:09 pm »

A favorite of mine of late is Gaslight. Ingrid Bergman. And it coined a Psychological term, that I won't explain given its relevance to the plot. But it was psych class that interested me in the first place and it ended being pretty good. Somewhat Hitchcockian...
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.