Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346923 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #525 on: August 23, 2015, 11:23:21 am »

I watched Primer yesterday.

...I think this sentence is a perfect synthesis of the experience.

Oh man. Primer is something else. I got to the end of it and thought "What?".

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 23, 2015, 12:05:58 pm »
+2

I started thinking "what?" well before the end.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 23, 2015, 12:32:16 pm »

I usually have trouble following alternate universe style time travel stories, and this one went full bananas with the premise. It doesn't help either that it's unclear what sort of time travel story this was until the very end. Nor does it that I couldn't quite make out what they were saying at times...

I've read some explanations online, and I still don't really understand what's up with Aaron's motivations. I didn't even know there was a character called Joseph Platts until I read those explanations!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 23, 2015, 01:38:07 pm »

It's supposed to be a challenge to figure out.  You don't even know which Aaron is narrating.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 23, 2015, 01:41:37 pm »

It is supposed to be confusing. But at the same time I think there was a little too much packed into the movie.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 23, 2015, 01:48:35 pm »

I don't think so at all.  I think it was fantastic.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 23, 2015, 01:59:48 pm »

Speaking of movies I didn't understand, did anybody see Revolver?  I had not a clue what was going on, but I still thought it was pretty good fun.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 23, 2015, 02:27:45 pm »

Speaking of movies I didn't understand, did anybody see Revolver?  I had not a clue what was going on, but I still thought it was pretty good fun.

The Guy Ritchie movie? I saw it. I understood it by the end. It was meant to be confusing because the main character didn't know what was happening. If I remember correctly Jason Statham was set up by two guys in prison who conned him into thinking they were going to bust him out or something. It's been a while since I saw it. And it was a long con to get him to get money for them or something.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 23, 2015, 02:37:21 pm »

The Guy Ritchie movie? I saw it. I understood it by the end. It was meant to be confusing because the main character didn't know what was happening. If I remember correctly Jason Statham was set up by two guys in prison who conned him into thinking they were going to bust him out or something. It's been a while since I saw it. And it was a long con to get him to get money for them or something.
yes. This part I got. But there was a host of other nonsense going on.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 23, 2015, 02:46:55 pm »

I'd have to watch it again. I don't remember all the other stuff. I took a few minutes after i watched it and got most of what was happening.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 23, 2015, 03:19:21 pm »

I'd have to watch it again. I don't remember all the other stuff. I took a few minutes after i watched it and got most of what was happening.
Just read the Wikipedia page for the movie. After I read that, I still didn't know what had happened.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 23, 2015, 05:52:07 pm »

If we're taking confusing movies, anyone seen Inherent Vice?

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 23, 2015, 06:48:06 pm »

If we're taking confusing movies, anyone seen Inherent Vice?
no, but I want to

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 23, 2015, 07:57:49 pm »
+1

Just saw Schindler's List. I think I'm going to be sick, I've never seen anything as exploitative, manipulative and borderline xenophobic. How is this an acclaimed movie ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 23, 2015, 08:26:41 pm »

Just saw Schindler's List. I think I'm going to be sick, I've never seen anything as exploitative, manipulative and borderline xenophobic. How is this an acclaimed movie ?

I don't follow.  I only saw it in high school, so I don't have too strong a memory of it.  Who is it xenophobic against?  Germans?

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 23, 2015, 08:41:53 pm »

I don't follow.  I only saw it in high school, so I don't have too strong a memory of it.  Who is it xenophobic against?  Germans?

Yes. The whole movie is by English-speaking actors speaking with terrible German accents (that's annoying but not bad in and of itself)... except for when soldiers are killing Jews during the Krakow massacre : THERE they're speaking Germans. It honestly shocked me.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 23, 2015, 10:36:56 pm »

Yes. The whole movie is by English-speaking actors speaking with terrible German accents (that's annoying but not bad in and of itself)... except for when soldiers are killing Jews during the Krakow massacre : THERE they're speaking Germans. It honestly shocked me.
yeah, I guess maybe you're right? Still a good movie. Ray Fiennes was still excellent. I don't know any Germans so I have nothing to offer on whether he did a good accent.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:41:17 pm by skip wooznum »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 24, 2015, 12:32:43 am »
+1

I've seen Primer at least 5 times. Most recently just last month. I still have trouble following it. But it's awesome.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 24, 2015, 08:52:18 am »

yeah, I guess maybe you're right? Still a good movie. Ray Fiennes was still excellent. I don't know any Germans so I have nothing to offer on whether he did a good accent.

Well I haven't heard many Germans speak English so maybe his accent was good, but it was distracting to me, it added a level of artificiality.

Mostly I felt that this movie about the Holocaust was constantly trying to add stakes and manipulate emotionally when... I mean it's the Holocaust, you really don't need to add anything to make it emotionally involving.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 24, 2015, 10:54:07 am »

I half remember Spielberg saying that he had to tone down the story because otherwise he expected viewers to think he was overdoing it. So it's kinda funny that you say that.

Plus there's Liam Neeson crying at the end because he could have saved more people. How could you resist that.  :(
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 26, 2015, 01:42:56 pm »

An interesting criticism of It Follows by another film-lover, Quentin Tarantino:
http://www.vulture.com/2015/08/how-quentin-tarantino-would-fix-it-follows.html

There's a lot more in that article than his criticism of the movie, but that was the most interesting part.

I mostly agree with him on this. The theatre scene didn't bug me at first because I didn't know what was going on. After the movie, I realized that the dude was really way too dégagé about the situation. He really should have been freaking out.

And yeah the characters could have handled some scenes better, but that's the luxury we have as movie audiences. We see the big picture, and we are nice and calm in our seats. We can think up better ways to handle something when we're not being chased by a monster. So in that regard, I have to disagree with QT on this criticism.

But it's clear that the director loves movies. There were some really good shots in It Follows.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 30, 2015, 03:44:05 pm »
+1

I finally saw Edge of Tomorrow. Good movie. Quite a few elements from Starship Troopers, Paycheck, and Run, Lola, Run.

But that ending was the coppiest-out of cop-outs as I ever did see.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 31, 2015, 08:13:29 pm »

I watched Cloud Atlas this weekend.  I liked it, but I suspect that it would have been a bit too confusing if I hadn't read the book before.  Also, some of the makeup/prosthetics were cringe-worthy, like when Halle Berry played an old Asian man.  I'm also not sure whether they followed the book with the protagonist in each story being the same reincarnated soul (minus one) or whether they meant for the audience to consider each actor representing the same soul in each story.  I suspect the latter, and I guess that's an OK change for the film adaptation (although that would raise a question of what happened with Hugo Weaving's character, who is not an actual being but a vision or hallucination in the sixth story).  I did like the way they weaved all six stories together instead of using the nest structure of the book, which is great for prose but probably would not have worked for visual media.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 31, 2015, 08:33:17 pm »

I finally saw Edge of Tomorrow. Good movie. Quite a few elements from Starship Troopers, Paycheck, and Run, Lola, Run.

But that ending was the coppiest-out of cop-outs as I ever did see.

The ending was awful. This movie was great until the very end.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 31, 2015, 08:48:47 pm »

The only good part of the film was the one with the publisher and the nursing home. And that one was great. Everything else wanted to be a 25 min movie, and failed. Sometimes resoundingly.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.