Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 347076 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #500 on: August 02, 2015, 04:58:07 pm »

I watched Horns last night.  You should all do the same.  Well, not last night, since it's too late for that.  But some other night.  Or day.  Or whatever.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 02, 2015, 04:59:54 pm »

Have you read the book?  (You should all read Horns, by the way.)

I didn't go to see the film because I'd just finished the book at the time and was worried it would bias me.  But it's been long enough now I'll try to watch it sometime soon.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 02, 2015, 05:08:48 pm »

Anybody ever watch "Stand by Me"? Is it any good?

One of the all-time greats. We actually had to watch it as part of summer "reading" in high school. Everyone should see this movie.
I wouldn't consider it an all time great, but I did enjoy and would recommend it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 02, 2015, 05:47:48 pm »

Have you read the book?  (You should all read Horns, by the way.)

I didn't go to see the film because I'd just finished the book at the time and was worried it would bias me.  But it's been long enough now I'll try to watch it sometime soon.

No.  I didn't even hear of the book.  I had heard of the movie, saw a couple previews, and knew that I wanted to see it.  Just got around to it last night.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 03, 2015, 12:29:29 pm »

One of the all-time greats. We actually had to watch it as part of summer "reading" in high school. Everyone should see this movie.
I wouldn't consider it an all time great, but I did enjoy and would recommend it.

I saw it recently and I don't get why it's considered a classic. A bunch of kids go to see a dead body and Keifer Sutherland says he's gonna git 'em someday. Fin.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 03, 2015, 12:40:40 pm »

I saw it recently and I don't get why it's considered a classic. A bunch of kids go to see a dead body and Keifer Sutherland says he's gonna git 'em someday. Fin.

Ha, classic Keifer.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 03, 2015, 12:51:02 pm »

I mean, it's about the boys growing up together, and going through this experience. But I wouldn't say it's the best movie ever. It's good though.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 03, 2015, 05:46:27 pm »

I watched Horns last night.  You should all do the same.  Well, not last night, since it's too late for that.  But some other night.  Or day.  Or whatever.
I didnt think it was that good. Very depressing. Acting wasn't particularly good. and also a bit of a cop out at the end when they made a cartoonishly evil guy for us to all be pissed at and revel mutually in his greusome death.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:34:48 pm by skip wooznum »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 04, 2015, 10:41:59 am »

For better movies with vampires, did anyone see Only Lovers Left Alive?

I am now intrigued by this. I may have to check it out.

My favorite vampire movie is Near Dark. It's not a great movie, but it's a neat portrayal of vampires. Vampires tend to be shown as really elegant or downright bestial. While these vampires are closer to bestial, they are also well developed characters. Maybe a little too close to caricature, but I could overlook that.

imdb is fine. At least it's not Rotten Tomatoes.

Interesting. I found my experiences the opposite. IMDB scores are set by the general populace. Rotten Tomatoes aggregates critics' scores. Does anyone else find IMDB rating more accurate than RT?

In general, I've found that RT scores of 70+ are often enjoyable to me while scores of 40 or less are not. Those in the middle depend on how much appeal the concept has for me. But RT did steer me wrong with Furious 7. Thank goodness I was only there to watch Fury Road and could leave in the middle of Furious 7.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 04, 2015, 11:08:15 am »

I find IMDB is better than Tomatoes in general. Critics can hate a movie for the stupidest of reasons, and they're paid to watch movies all the time. They've seen everything. A good movie won't have as good an impact on them anymore. They also quite often get bored and rate a movie lower than it deserves in order to be funny, as witnessed by bad reviews with a line where they reference something in the movie to how bad it is, like 'if I had a time machine, I'd go back in time and not watch movie about time machine'. IMDB isn't always correct either, but I feel like the reviews are on average more honest. If I really want to gauge a movie, I'll check both sites out but my first choice is usually IMDB.

EDIT: IMDB has a problem with rating movies too high sometimes, as witnessed in Interstellar being rated as like #20 as the best movie of all time. I love Interstellar, but I don't think it's that good...? I don't know. They're both shoddy really.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:11:56 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #510 on: August 04, 2015, 11:21:48 am »
+1

EDIT: IMDB has a problem with rating movies too high sometimes, as witnessed in Interstellar being rated as like #20 as the best movie of all time.

Well, if Interstellar being #20 is too high, that doesn't mean IMDB has a general problem with rating movies too high. It just means that some other movie that should really be the #20 is rated too low.

If anything, IMDB has a problem with giving all movies a rather mediocre rating, which is not really surprising when you consider how many people are rating them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:24:11 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 04, 2015, 11:22:58 am »

The problem with IMDB is that the more popular something is, the more stupid trolls deteriorate the message boards.  For lower-key shows, or even fairly popular ones that aren't in the spotlight, there are people there making interesting discussions.  The boards for True Detective and Hannibal were actually pretty interesting and enlightening towards the very beginning (first half or so of Season 1 of True Detective, and maybe the first season or two of Hannibal).  Now you have to wade through endless posts of people trying to start arguments and call each other idiots. 

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 04, 2015, 11:43:36 am »

I went to see the new Mission Impossible. It was do dumb. And the action wasnt even that great. Mad Max kicks it's butt so hard.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 04, 2015, 11:51:31 am »
+1

I went to see the new Mission Impossible.

There's your problem right there.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 04, 2015, 12:50:51 pm »

I find IMDB is better than Tomatoes in general. Critics can hate a movie for the stupidest of reasons, and they're paid to watch movies all the time. They've seen everything. A good movie won't have as good an impact on them anymore. They also quite often get bored and rate a movie lower than it deserves in order to be funny

I'd rather have a critic hate a movie for some weird reason than a thousand people hate a movie because they didn't get it. It's because a critic has seen everything that I can appreciate his point of view. And yeah, I may disagree with a specific review (I was unable to forgive Ebert for his trashing of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, but he's dead now, so it's really silly to hold that against the man), but that's where the aggregate score of Rotten Tomatoes is useful. Someone may have a stupid reason for liking or disliking a movie, but there are 70-200 other critics who affect the final score, and not all of them have the dumbest of reasons.

So yeah, there may be a critic who bases his review on how witty he can make it sound, but they get drowned out. That 98% movie might have been unanimous except for that one guy who wants to stand out, but I'm not listening to just his review. I do actually read it, though. I always read the dissenting reviews of a product that gets great reviews. Maybe the dissenting review is being unreasonable, but maybe it's a matter of the emperor's new clothes. Reading those reviews gives me an idea of which.

I have noticed a higher amount on sequels that I wouldn't expect. Mission Impossible is sitting at 93% right now. I was bored of the original and never watched the sequels. I don't see myself watching this, and I'm intrigued by the fact that 186 reviewers marked it high. But I can't judge that movie since I've not watched it. On the other hand, Furious 7 has 81%, and I cannot figure out what these critics were watching. The only thing I can think of is that many people don't want to shit over the final movie of that actor who died. Here, IMDB failed us as well, giving a score of 75%.

But looking at IMDB stats, I am reminded of another aggregate review site: Metacritic. I generally don't use Metacritic, but it is something I've looked at before. It has much harsher criteria. For example, it rated Furious 7 at 67, which is still way too high, but it presents a more realistic approach. I think the reason why Metacritic seems to be lower than RT is that RT uses a binary system of thumbs up/thumbs down, while Metacritic uses a more robust scoring system that allows for gradation. Because of that, I lower the bar when looking at Metacritic. While I start to question a movie's value when it rates at lower than 70% on RT, I do not question it on Metacritic.

Just for fun, I pulled some scores of movies I've seen.
Memento
MC: 80. IMDB: 85. RT: 92
Guardians of the Galaxy
MC: 76. IMDB: 81. RT: 91
Fury Road
MC: 89. IMDB: 84. RT: 98
Interestingly enough, this is a rare moment where the Metacritic score is actually higher than IMDB.

At least all three of the scores of these movies are fairly close. It's hard to say if IMDB scores are unfairly bumped by trolls or fanboys.

Heh, let's look up Hudson Hawk. RT has 24%. IMDB has 57. Metacritic has 17. As much as I love the movie, it's not great, and IMDB's score is obviously based on nostalgia or love of cult classics and not on quality. I have to agree with RT and Metacritic here. Of course, I'd still watch the hell out of the movie. I even have it on DVD. I have no regrets in watching it in the theatre, but yeah, it's bad. And that's okay.
A man has no signature

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 04, 2015, 03:12:36 pm »
+1

For better movies with vampires, did anyone see Only Lovers Left Alive?

I am now intrigued by this. I may have to check it out.

My favorite vampire movie is Near Dark. It's not a great movie, but it's a neat portrayal of vampires. Vampires tend to be shown as really elegant or downright bestial. While these vampires are closer to bestial, they are also well developed characters. Maybe a little too close to caricature, but I could overlook that.

My favorite vampire move is the original Swedish "Let the Right One In"

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 07, 2015, 01:26:30 pm »

Anyone see Elizabethtown? I thought it was really good, not as good as almost famous or Jerry Maguire, but still really good, but it seems to be widely considered a bad movie. Huh.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 17, 2015, 11:42:28 pm »

Just re-watched the end bit of The French Connection. Probably one of the best and earliest uses of shaky-cam in cinema. I forgot how good this movie was. by the end it feels like gene hackman's character has completely lost any sense of right and wrong. He chases criminals because he is a cop and they are criminals. It's become his way of life, and not something he does because he necessarily believes it is moral, but just something he does. anyone else feel this way?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 18, 2015, 05:52:00 am »

A movie that's so awful it's amazing to watch is an interesting beast. Do you rate it higher because you enjoyed it more or do you rate it lower because it's obviously so shitty compared to all the other movies?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 18, 2015, 08:03:04 am »

A movie that's so awful it's amazing to watch is an interesting beast. Do you rate it higher because you enjoyed it more or do you rate it lower because it's obviously so shitty compared to all the other movies?

I will rate those movies low. I can face the facts that enjoyable != good.

For example, if someone asks me for a score, I would rank Hudson Hawk 2 stars. I love the hell out of that movie: cheesy candy bar nicknames, ball gags (not to be confused with ball gags), using a song as a timer, crucifix radios, and even Sandra Bernhardt's abrasive personality (though barely). But you know, it's not really a good movie. While kind of charming, it really seems to have no idea if it's trying to be an action movie or a slapstick movie. A movie could be both (see Kung Fu Hustle), but I don't think Hudson Hawk really captured both adequately.

So I'll rate it low, but I'll asterisk that by saying that I found it enjoyable despite those flaws.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 18, 2015, 05:57:19 pm »

For example, if someone asks me for a score, I would rank Hudson Hawk 2 stars. I love the hell out of that movie: cheesy candy bar nicknames, ball gags (not to be confused with ball gags), using a song as a timer, crucifix radios, and even Sandra Bernhardt's abrasive personality (though barely). But you know, it's not really a good movie. While kind of charming, it really seems to have no idea if it's trying to be an action movie or a slapstick movie. A movie could be both (see Kung Fu Hustle), but I don't think Hudson Hawk really captured both adequately.

So I'll rate it low, but I'll asterisk that by saying that I found it enjoyable despite those flaws.

Man, I don't know. A movie can be absolutely terrible and yet be an amazing movie you would recommend to your friends. Sure, it should get demerits on an official scale, but there should be a separate score for bad movies specifically on how fun they are. When I get around to copying RedLetterMedia and JonTron and creating my own interactive media about movie reviews on YouTube, I might just implement such a scale.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:58:28 pm by Seprix »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 18, 2015, 06:00:37 pm »

Oh! Speaking of bad movies, I watched Batman and Robin yesterday. That was NOT a fun bad movie.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 18, 2015, 06:04:33 pm »

im not sure what you're saying here. What's the difference between a movie being good and a movie being enjoyable? Surely you don't mean "good" as in objectively good? It's just good in your opinion. The Godfather is good in a lot of people's opinions, but that doesn't make it objectively good. So if "good" and "enjoyable" are both subjective terms, then what is the difference?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:03:54 pm by skip wooznum »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 18, 2015, 06:22:34 pm »

im not sure what your saying here. What's the difference between a movie being good and a movie being enjoyable? Surely you don't mean "good" as in objectively good? It's just good in your opinion. The Godfather is good in a lot of people's opinions, bit that doesn't make it objectively good. So if "good" and "enjoyable" are both subjective terms, then what is the difference?

Good is in terms of a good story, good writing and originality, good acting, good direction, good post-production, etc. E.G. The Godfather is generally considered a great movie, moving it close (though never completely) to objectivity. I still have to work out the 'enjoyable' factor and call it something different, but I generally know what it will measure.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 23, 2015, 10:28:46 am »

I watched Primer yesterday.

...I think this sentence is a perfect synthesis of the experience.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.