Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346867 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #425 on: June 20, 2015, 08:32:45 pm »
+1

I'm a big Cohen Coen :-[ Bros fan; I own all their movies except Hudsucker which I've never seen but is in my wish list. Just recently saw Llewyn Davis.

I really love Lebowski; I'm pretty sure it's the movie I've seen the most number of times out of any movie. I can't really compare it to their other work though; it's so different. But I never tire of it.

I did not really like Barton Fink, but remembering how I felt about it, I seem to remember the ending in some ways being similar to the endings of A Serious Man or Llewyn Davis. Or even Lebowski. So maybe I need to watch it again without expecting a "Hollywood" ending.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 09:36:31 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 20, 2015, 09:19:35 pm »

Pretty sure it's Coen, though.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 20, 2015, 09:36:44 pm »
+1

Pretty sure it's Coen, though.

Such a huge fan that I can't even spell their name!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 20, 2015, 10:25:14 pm »

I'm a big Cohen Coen :-[ Bros fan; I own all their movies except Hudsucker which I've never seen but is in my wish list. Just recently saw Llewyn Davis.

I really love Lebowski; I'm pretty sure it's the movie I've seen the most number of times out of any movie. I can't really compare it to their other work though; it's so different. But I never tire of it.

I did not really like Barton Fink, but remembering how I felt about it, I seem to remember the ending in some ways being similar to the endings of A Serious Man or Llewyn Davis. Or even Lebowski. So maybe I need to watch it again without expecting a "Hollywood" ending.
all their endings are somewhat similar, that I've seen. Except maybe Oh Brother Where Art Thou? which has a happier ending.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 10:26:55 pm by skip wooznum »

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 20, 2015, 11:21:04 pm »

Has anyone seen High Fidelity? It's on the Netflix and im wondering if it's any good.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 21, 2015, 12:13:43 am »

Has anyone seen High Fidelity? It's on the Netflix and im wondering if it's any good.

Yes, watch it. 

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 21, 2015, 02:52:29 am »

Yes, watch it.
was really good. Although I didn't like the gratuitous raining.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 21, 2015, 08:56:37 pm »

Jurassic World: Product placement done right.
A man has no signature

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 21, 2015, 10:08:33 pm »

A week after seeing the movie, I can't remember what got product placement and what didn't, but it's probably still going to influence me in subtle ways. Whereas I can still remember cringeworthy Dasani and Victoria's Secret product placement from Age of Extinction, which came out a year ago.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 21, 2015, 11:41:27 pm »

A week after seeing the movie, I can't remember what got product placement and what didn't, but it's probably still going to influence me in subtle ways. Whereas I can still remember cringeworthy Dasani and Victoria's Secret product placement from Age of Extinction, which came out a year ago.

Well, in thinking about it, it had annoying ad placement as usual (Mercedes and Kawasaki come to mind), but the way it handled how theme parks handle sponsorship was amusing. Samsung and Verizon are especially fitting for what the movie was portraying.
A man has no signature

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: June 22, 2015, 02:15:34 am »

I haven't seen the original movie The Departed was based on ("Infernal Affairs" or something?), but I think it's supposed to be good as well.

I watched the three movies. The departed is based mostly on the first one, IIRC. They are good, but very different (as you would expect from something done in Hong Kong, rather than Hollywood). More... understated?
just saw this. i liked the ending better in this one than in the departed, actually.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 22, 2015, 11:26:36 am »

Saw the end hour of Looper on tv last night. The best part was the design of the semi futuristic elements mixed with current infrastructure. The ultra thin phones, flowery toichscreens for stuff. It was very watchable.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 22, 2015, 10:14:25 pm »

Saw the end hour of Looper on tv last night. The best part was the design of the semi futuristic elements mixed with current infrastructure. The ultra thin phones, flowery toichscreens for stuff. It was very watchable.
I watched this last week, and also thought it was well done.

Tonight I watched Exodus with Christian Bale.  Pretty cool special effects.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 22, 2015, 10:50:21 pm »

The main thing I disliked about Looper was how inconsistent Time Travel was. I am more or less ok with movies that have Time Travel that doesn't make much sense when you think about it (e.g., back to the future), or where we have so little information about the mechanics that it's hard to say what exactly is going on (e.g., Terminator), or where the difference instances of Time Travel are so far away from each other that it's whatever.

But one movie that presents the same exact situation twice, and has different results for each? No, thanks.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #439 on: June 23, 2015, 07:09:19 am »
+3

Tonight I watched Exodus with Christian Bale.

Oh, you know him?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 23, 2015, 08:18:24 am »
+3

Oh, you know him?

Well if by "know" you mean "sat behind him in the theatre occasionally clipping hair samples during the noisy parts of the film" then yeah.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 23, 2015, 09:41:45 am »
+1

Oh, you know him?

Well if by "know" you mean "sat behind him in the theatre occasionally clamping hair samples during the noisy parts of the film" then yeah.

Fixed that for you.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 24, 2015, 08:38:04 am »
+1

Oh, you know him?
Well if by "know" you mean "sat behind him in the theatre occasionally clipping hair samples during the noisy parts of the film" then yeah.

There were cameras INSIDE the theater!?!?!? 

And you missed the more obvious joke, given the subject matter of the movie.

Moat                                                                     

Posting begets posting.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 28, 2015, 01:31:48 am »

Just finished watching all three original Mad Max movies. The second one was pretty good. The third one had some gems, but was marred by a nonsensical plot. The first one was too much of a B movie for my taste, although it already has some hints of what's to come (and also, Saw).

But now I think that Fury Road is a remake of Road Warrior. I am not really complaining though. I am curious what the next one will be like.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 28, 2015, 02:03:19 am »

Just finished watching all three original Mad Max movies. The second one was pretty good. The third one had some gems, but was marred by a nonsensical plot. The first one was too much of a B movie for my taste, although it already has some hints of what's to come (and also, Saw).

But now I think that Fury Road is a remake of Road Warrior. I am not really complaining though. I am curious what the next one will be like.

I had the same thoughts watching the original movies. But I though the third was just terrible. There really wasnt anything good about it.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 28, 2015, 03:20:08 am »
+1

But two men enter; one man leaves!

Okay, I admit that my fondness of Thunderdome likely lies with the fact that I watched the hell out of that movie growing up. I probably haven't seen it in 25 years, and I fear that I would see it for what it really is if I rewatch it now. Therefore, I wrap myself in my cocoon of ignorance and will never rewatch that movie.

Road Warrior was still pretty badass. I need to rewatch Mad Max. I remember it being so different in tone than the others.

And, well, Fury Road was pretty awesome, which is amazing for me to say considering the dialogue and story-building is only enough for a half-hour movie.
A man has no signature

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 28, 2015, 09:04:56 am »

But the secondary story is good, because Im not there to see a silly story. I'm there to see cars and explosions and action.

Two men enter; one man leaves! Except they chant this one Master goes it help Blaster, so there's 3 men who entered. It makes no sense!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 28, 2015, 04:53:41 pm »

I thought MasterBlaster was great, although he certainly needed more polish. The Thunderdome was pretty cool, in an over-the-top, completely ridiculous kind of way. The story of the lost tribe was nice. And Jedediah and Jedediah Jr cracked me up. Then there were some small design choices, like putting the huge head on Max when they sent him to the "Gulag".

The big problems with the movie were the broken plot, the huge tone shift halfway through (from something in between Road Warrior and For a fistfull of dollars, to a mix of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Captain Hook), and Tina Turner.

Ironbar is also kind of annoying. It struck me by the end of the movie that he is supposed to be a comic relief character, not a credible threat to the main characters, and that's kinda silly.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 01, 2015, 12:49:33 pm »
+1

I just saw Victoria. It's unfreakingbelievable, absolutely amazing. One of the most thrilling movies I've ever seen.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 01, 2015, 03:17:34 pm »

I just saw Victoria. It's unfreakingbelievable, absolutely amazing. One of the most thrilling movies I've ever seen.
A single take that lasts 140 minutes!?  That's impressive in its own right.
Posting begets posting.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.