Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346927 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #375 on: May 23, 2015, 02:31:46 pm »

Here is a pretty good breakdown of the four Mad Max movies and the morals of their stories.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/20/mad-max-how-mras-killed-the-world.html

Max really is a tragic figure in this franchise. It's like a war movie that's actually anti-war.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 24, 2015, 08:49:11 pm »

So I caught Dawn of the Planet of the Apes on HBO.. only kind of half-watching it, but I was a little bothered by the apes' sudden ability to aim extremely well with machine guns.  I mean, we seem to need pretty extensive training to become a good shot, and they seemed to figure it out like immediately?  Or was there some war in the interim between the two movies where they learned how to fight with guns?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 28, 2015, 01:41:11 pm »

So my wife had her eyes dilated, which has the effect of making her nauseated. I put her on the couch and sought out on Netflix a movie that she knew well enough that she didn't need to open her eyes. And I came across 9 to 5.

It was a movie I watched the hell out of as a kid since it was always on HBO, and the realities of it really sink in now that I'm an adult. The work place isn't generally as bad as that now, but it was disgusting to see Mr. Hart's abuses of power portrayed in a nonironic way. And I'm sure some of those examples can still be found in the American workplace in some sectors. They really piled it on to make sure that everyone knew Hart was the villain.

One of those scenes that I could remember as a kid was Violet's response to Hart and his boss. I didn't understand the context in which it was presented. I could decipher every emotion behind her line yesterday. After Hart's boss lavished praise on Hart for selling him the idea he stole from Violet, he innocuously asks from the elevator if Violet and Roz were going up. Violet fixed a steely gaze and said, "No, we're going down." The true meaning of that statement never resonated with me as a kid.

Classic film. A few outrageous scenes, but it was the '80s. Hijinks had to be had.

And the "Attagirl" woman still cracks me up.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 28, 2015, 09:49:50 pm »
+1

Ah, hell, it finally came out today. It's not as mind-blowingly awesome as I had hoped, but it's still a hoot.

Also, I grew up in the '80s. Everything that happened is true.

A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 30, 2015, 09:24:53 pm »

It took forever, but I finally watched Age of Ultron! The Bad Guy was quite a bit funnier than I expected from the trailers, that was cool.

I was a bit disappointed about Quicksilver. In Days of Future Past, he is one of the most powerful beings on Earth, and he has to get benched just so that the rest of the cast gets to do anything. In Age of Ultron, he's kind of a wuss, and he dies just because someone had to die? Huh.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 30, 2015, 09:47:57 pm »

It took forever, but I finally watched Age of Ultron! The Bad Guy was quite a bit funnier than I expected from the trailers, that was cool.

I was a bit disappointed about Quicksilver. In Days of Future Past, he is one of the most powerful beings on Earth, and he has to get benched just so that the rest of the cast gets to do anything. In Age of Ultron, he's kind of a wuss, and he dies just because someone had to die? Huh.

When I watched it with my friends, we theorized that his death was Marvel's way of benching him.  Super speed is just too strong of a power that if he were around, the stakes re: civilians would be way lower all the time.  Just consider how many people he must have saved.  I think there's a similar issue in The Flash (TV series) where...

you have to work a little harder to suspend your disbelief, simply because he is so fast that very few things should actually give him trouble.  Like, Captain Cold?  The show tried really hard to make him a threat, but if you think about it, there's no way he should stand a chance because he should never be able to shoot Flash.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 30, 2015, 09:48:46 pm »

Well, part of that may be it's because it's Joss Whedon, and people have come to expect someone to die. I'm not sure if Whedon decided to give into that expectation or if he really wanted to kill someone. Certainly it can make the struggle more real when there is death, though that shouldn't be necessary.  It seems a little out of place for a superhero movie.

I did not expect as much humor from Ultron either. I didn't read too much about him growing up, but my limited exposure to him showed a basic ruthless villain who just wanted to win. I don't remember much banter from him, but that was years back.
A man has no signature

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 30, 2015, 09:58:16 pm »
+1

Black Fish is a really good documentary about orcas in Seaworld, I would for sure recommend it, but be warned! It's pretty heavy...
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #383 on: May 31, 2015, 12:27:37 am »

Well, part of that may be it's because it's Joss Whedon, and people have come to expect someone to die. I'm not sure if Whedon decided to give into that expectation or if he really wanted to kill someone. Certainly it can make the struggle more real when there is death, though that shouldn't be necessary.  It seems a little out of place for a superhero movie.

I did not expect as much humor from Ultron either. I didn't read too much about him growing up, but my limited exposure to him showed a basic ruthless villain who just wanted to win. I don't remember much banter from him, but that was years back.

Being that it is Marvel, we don't know if Quicksilver is actually dead. Coulson isn't. And there is even a line in the movie, before the fight; "Get killed, walk it off." So he may or may not be back. I'm okay with either decision at this stage. Plus we still need the Soul Gem and the Time Gem, which may also aid the ability to bring characters back.

As for Ultron and his banter: The scene with Ulysses Klaue basically explains where this dialogue comes from.

Ultron: But I always say, "Keep your friends rich and your enemies rich, and wait to find out which is which."
Ulysses Klaue: Stark...
Ultron: What?
Ulysses Klaue: Tony Stark used to say that... to me. You're one of his.
Ultron: What? I'm not... I'm not! You think I'm one of Stark's puppets, his hollow men? I mean, look at me, do I look like Iron Man? Stark is not...
Ultron: I'm sorry. I am sor... Ooh! I'm sure that's going to be okay. I'm sorry, it's just I don't understand... Don't compare me with Stark! He's a sickness!
Tony Stark: Aww, Junior, you're going to break your old man's heart...

This here tells me that a lot of Ultron's behavior can be explained as as extreme version of Starks. Shortly after that is the line about making an omelette, which Tony quickly sounds off that he would have said the exact same thing.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 31, 2015, 12:47:28 am »

Being that it is Marvel, we don't know if Quicksilver is actually dead. Coulson isn't. And there is even a line in the movie, before the fight; "Get killed, walk it off." So he may or may not be back. I'm okay with either decision at this stage. Plus we still need the Soul Gem and the Time Gem, which may also aid the ability to bring characters back.

Man, I hope they don't revive Quicksilver. I was sort of expecting that, given that Helen had already shown being able to basically regrow a body. But they don't revive him during the movie, so I expect him to stay dead. Coulson dying was an emotional moment of the first Avengers. He's a character you care about, it reminds you that Loki is a monster. I was horrified to learn that they resurrected him for Agents of Shield. It absolutely cheapens that moment.

As for Ultron and his banter: The scene with Ulysses Klaue basically explains where this dialogue comes from.

Ultron: But I always say, "Keep your friends rich and your enemies rich, and wait to find out which is which."
Ulysses Klaue: Stark...
Ultron: What?
Ulysses Klaue: Tony Stark used to say that... to me. You're one of his.
Ultron: What? I'm not... I'm not! You think I'm one of Stark's puppets, his hollow men? I mean, look at me, do I look like Iron Man? Stark is not...
Ultron: I'm sorry. I am sor... Ooh! I'm sure that's going to be okay. I'm sorry, it's just I don't understand... Don't compare me with Stark! He's a sickness!
Tony Stark: Aww, Junior, you're going to break your old man's heart...

This here tells me that a lot of Ultron's behavior can be explained as as extreme version of Starks. Shortly after that is the line about making an omelette, which Tony quickly sounds off that he would have said the exact same thing.

Yeah, they sort of hammer the point home during the movie. Still, you wouldn't have expected that just from looking at the trailer. But again, I am not complaining. He gets some of the best lines in the movie (my personal favourite being Nick's "You kiss your mother with that mouth?").
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 31, 2015, 01:16:04 am »

I was horrified to learn that they resurrected him for Agents of Shield. It absolutely cheapens that moment.

It's a huge plot point even into the second season though.  They made it work.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 31, 2015, 02:06:52 am »

I was horrified to learn that they resurrected him for Agents of Shield. It absolutely cheapens that moment.

Yeah, it's not like they decided that the story element sucked and just retconned it. Maybe they did, but the point is that while it was reversed, it was a pretty huge plot point. It's not like they hand-waved it away.
A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 31, 2015, 02:16:38 am »

Yeah, it's not like they decided that the story element sucked and just retconned it. Maybe they did, but the point is that while it was reversed, it was a pretty huge plot point. It's not like they hand-waved it away.

Ok, I am sure it works in the series. I am also pretty sure they did it because it was a known face that would help the series take off.

My point is, knowing that his death was only temporary cheapens the moment. Maybe I would be happier with it if either I watched the series or never learned it in the first place. But one cannot be undone and I don't really watch series anymore, so what can I do.

</rantover>

In a lighter tone, a friend of mine and I concluded that the most busted superpowers are always related to time manipulation, with the only powers that are remotely close being mind manipulation and teleportation. As such, it is usually extremely hard to write situations in which characters with such powers don't just instantly solve all the problems thrown at them, and writers usually just have them behave "stupidly" instead. Quicksilver has a sort of time manipulation power (super speed), which explains why his portrayals are rarely satisfying, IMHO.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 31, 2015, 09:28:30 am »
+1

Re : AoU and the Marvel Universe in general. As somene who watches Agents of SHIELD, I'm glad to have Coulson, but I agree that it absolutely cheapens the whole emotional arc of Avengers, and that's a problem. Whedon knows it too, that's very likely the reason Coulson doesn't happer in Avengers : AoU, or any other post-Avengers Marvel movie for that matter. And this goes to a larger problem in the MCU which is that people, and especially good people, simply do not stay dead. I can't think of a single sympathetic character in the whole MCU that has died for good, which means that when you see someone die in a Marvel movie, you know it means nothing.

As for AoU specifically, it kinda worked for me because clearly the whole movie seemed to be building up to Hawkeye's death : we get to meet his family for God's sake. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had said something to the effect of it being his last mission before retirement, that's how heavily it was foreshadowed. So when Quicksilver dies instead of him, I initially liked because it was a subversion of expectations... but yeah, now that I think about it, there's just no way he's going to stay dead, and that annoys me to no end. Movies and comic books are different things, and maybe reviving people all the time works in the comics, but it certainly doesn't in the movies.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 17, 2015, 05:32:21 pm »

Anyone who has Studio Ghibli's last movie playing in their city, I highly recommend.
(They still have been making high-quality stuff, even with Miyazaki gone.)

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 18, 2015, 03:05:26 am »

In this entire thread, there hasn't been a single mention of Martin Scorsese. Marty is probably the best director still making movies today (although recently, I quite disliked wolf of wall street).  Do people here not watch his stuff, or not particularly like his stuff? Mean streets, taxi driver, raging bull, goodfellas, gangs of NY, departed, shutter island, are all phenominal.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 18, 2015, 03:57:39 am »

That's probably because we've mostly focused on what we've seen lately, though I haven't seen that many Scorcese movies, off the top of my head only Goodfellas and The Departed, which I both remember as being great. Definitely need to watch more, Raging Bull and Taxi Driver especially.

In other news, I saw Ex Machina. It was flawed but very interesting, generally well acted and very engaging throughout.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 18, 2015, 08:40:22 am »

I started Taxi Driver a few weeks ago, and it moved so torturously slow I gave up after a few minutes.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 18, 2015, 08:53:09 am »

I saw The Prestige yesterday. I'd rank it much better than Interstellar, slightly better than Inception but significantly worse than Memento. I liked the Christian Bale character reveal/arc a lot, the Hugh Jackman "twist" felt a little too Deus Ex Machinaey to me.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 18, 2015, 09:17:47 am »
+1

That's probably because we've mostly focused on what we've seen lately,
right so I think this thread means different things for us. It certainly became primarily a discussion of movies people have just seen/are about to see, but I read the entire thread last night and the beginning of it and also the op in particular are more about what are some of the great movies that everyone should see, and scorsese was never brought up!

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 18, 2015, 09:20:58 am »

I started Taxi Driver a few weeks ago, and it moved so torturously slow I gave up after a few minutes.
really? I urge you to try again. Taxi driver in particular I think is his best work. I dpnt remember it being too slow in the beginning, de niro's narration is just so hypnotizing that I was almost immediately sucked in.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 18, 2015, 09:22:29 am »

In this entire thread, there hasn't been a single mention of Martin Scorsese. Marty is probably the best director still making movies today (although recently, I quite disliked wolf of wall street).  Do people here not watch his stuff, or not particularly like his stuff? Mean streets, taxi driver, raging bull, goodfellas, gangs of NY, departed, shutter island, are all phenominal.

I think everything he does is good; Gangs of New York and The Departed are among my favorite movies.  I haven't seen the original movie The Departed was based on ("Infernal Affairs" or something?), but I think it's supposed to be good as well.  I didn't see any issues with Wolf of Wall Street. (Though, I didn't watch the entire thing start to end.)

Some of the older stuff (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull), I've only seen mots of; like I was flipping through channels and caught them part of the way in.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 18, 2015, 09:31:10 am »

Well with 'wolf' I felt there was an unrealistic amount of sex (or maybe im just naive) and he was doing it completely for shock value. So much was completely irrelevant to the story and seemed to just be thrown in for no good reason. Also, there were at least two times in the middle where leo started explaining the scam they were running and then before he got anywhere, he interrupted himself with something like "eh nevermind, you won't understand it anyway, but basically it's illegal." I found that very insulting to my intelligence, and moreover a huge letdown because that's the main aspect that intrigued me and made me want to watch it. Overall it was just very disappointing.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 18, 2015, 09:33:01 am »

Well with 'wolf' I felt there was an unrealistic amount of sex (or maybe im just naive) and he was doing it completely for shock value. So much was completely irrelevant to the story and seemed to just be thrown in for no good reason. Also, there were at least two times in the middle where leo started explanating the scam they were running and then before he got anywhere, he interrupted himself with something like "eh nevermind, you won't understand it anyway, but basically it's illegal." I found that very insulting to my intelligence, and moreover a huge letdown because that's the main aspect that intrigued me and made me want to watch it. Overall it was just very disappointing.

Hm, it was based on that guy's book about his own life, and if you look into him (I Googled a bit of his story), I don't think it's actually that far out there.  And the way Leo acts.. well, just Google the guy.  He just looks like that much of an ass.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 18, 2015, 09:40:47 am »

Well with 'wolf' I felt there was an unrealistic amount of sex (or maybe im just naive) and he was doing it completely for shock value. So much was completely irrelevant to the story and seemed to just be thrown in for no good reason. Also, there were at least two times in the middle where leo started explanating the scam they were running and then before he got anywhere, he interrupted himself with something like "eh nevermind, you won't understand it anyway, but basically it's illegal." I found that very insulting to my intelligence, and moreover a huge letdown because that's the main aspect that intrigued me and made me want to watch it. Overall it was just very disappointing.

Hm, it was based on that guy's book about his own life, and if you look into him (I Googled a bit of his story), I don't think it's actually that far out there.  And the way Leo acts.. well, just Google the guy.  He just looks like that much of an ass.
alright, but not all the sex involved him. That swiss banker got it on with that big guys wife, jonah hill started jerking off at a party..... I mean, that second one was clearly an attempt at comedy, and idk, I didn't find it at all funny. And I wasn't really taking issue with leo acting like a jerk, if his character wouldn't explain something, then he shouldn't. That's no excuse to not tell me what's going on, work in some other way of explaining to the viewers the scams being run. But I suspect that leo 's character acted like that not because it was in character, but because they didn't want it in the movie, for whatever reason, which is frustrating because it was important to me
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.