Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346931 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #350 on: May 15, 2015, 12:06:40 pm »

Yeah, the plotline for Winter Soldier was epic enough that it could have been another Avengers movie.

And it's not like Cap couldn't have trusted calling Tony for some help. He may not like him much, but he trusts him (though Age of Ultron strains that because Tony). So some disbelief had to be suspended for Winter Soldier. It's a great story that assumes that Cap and Natasha were the only heroes affected by this. As a Marvel movie, it flounders a little.
A man has no signature

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #351 on: May 15, 2015, 01:36:42 pm »
+1

I actually think they're wrong about the Avengers. Both movies specifically take the time to show the Avengers saving civilians to establish them as heroes. This is even arguably the whole point of Age of Ultron. The whole thing they go on about every problem being caused by the Marvel characters is also adressed in Age of Ultron.

The rest boils down to : these movies aren't consistent and mostly don't make sense. Which, yeah.

They do get at a significant problem in phase two though, specifically in The Dark World and Winter Soldier which is that having monumental threats to humanity in the individual movies is a bad idea because it breaks the willing suspension of disbelief that these guys wouldn't just call each other up to deal with problems. That didn't happen so much in phase 1 : Captain America is in WW2 so no one to call there, Iron Man is mostly dealing with dudes who want to kill him specifically, Thor's problems are also all Asgard-centric, and The Hulk is also fighting for survival.
The Earth-Threatening events in The Dark World happen within a matter of hours. Even The Avengers need more time to respond than that. The local military is the first on the scene.

The Winter Soldier takes place over maybe 2 days, of which SHIELD is basically crippled so there isn't much open communication. Until the climax, the rest of the world is probably being told by SHIELD to stay out of it.

Iron Man 3 is probably the most expansive of the Earth-bound Phase 2 movies, and no one complains about The Avengers not showing up because Tony has his Iron Legion thing going on.

In contrast, The Avengers and Age of Ultron have the team together well before the climax. They are actually pursuing the threat together.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 15, 2015, 01:39:06 pm »
+1

Ang Lee Hulk was a good movie.  I don't understand why it got so much hate.  (I know you were talking about the MCU Incredible Hulk, but it made me think of this.)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 15, 2015, 07:37:12 pm »

Teproc is back! :D I missed you!

I was sick for basically the whole week (feeling a little better now) and thus found myself with some idle time... and decided to watch the whole MCU in order, after recently having seen Avengers 2. Soo...

I'd wall of text it but I'm lazy, so short version (I had already seen Iron Man, Avengers and Guardians, all the others were new to me) :

Iron Man : Good
The Incredible Hulk : Awful
Iron Man 2 : Very bad
Thor : Mediocre
Captain America : The First Avenger : Bad
The Avengers : Excellent

Iron Man 3 : Bad
Thor : The Dark World : Mediocre
Captain America : The Winter Soldier : Very good
Guardians of the Galaxy : Very good
The Avengers : Age of Ultron : Pretty good

Man, phase 1 was disappointing. They're on a decent streak right now though, hope  that continues.

I actually thought Iron Man 3 was reasonably good! The funniest of the non-ensemble movies. And tGotG was definitely better than the Avengers.

Iron Man 2 and Captain America: First avenger are tied for worst movie (but I haven't seen either Thor).

Ang Lee Hulk was a good movie.  I don't understand why it got so much hate.  (I know you were talking about the MCU Incredible Hulk, but it made me think of this.)

Preach it. Although to be fair it's nearly a different genre altogether.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 16, 2015, 01:41:30 am »

Oh man, Furious 7 is such a bad movie. Rotten Tomatoes, you have let me down.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 16, 2015, 03:23:43 am »

I've never seen a single Fast/Furious movie, and I can't think of a compelling reason to.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 16, 2015, 05:48:40 am »

So I was just thinking, in Age of Ultron, Tony Stark says something to the effect of he saw (in the vision) the end of the path he set them on.  When I heard this line in the trailer, I thought he was referring to that he created Ultron.  However, in the movie he says it before that actually happens.  So what did he mean, exactly?  Does he consider himself responsible for bringing Superheroes (and, therefore, supervillians) "out in the open"?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 16, 2015, 06:08:15 am »

I was left from Age of Ultron feeling a little bit apprehensive, and here's why.  Nobody dies.  Yeah, yeah, except him, but I don't mean him---I mean the thousands of people constantly at danger with bullets and lasers and buildings falling down.  We only ever see superheroes saving people; never failing.  You mean to tell me there was only a single fatal shot from hundreds of Ultron bots wrecking havoc for like an hour, and even that was blocked from hitting a civilian?  (Also, I'm sure he could have either pushed them out of the way, or actually leaped and knocked over the Ultron bot, but whatever.)   I think we should have seen scores of people dying in the background, either from direct hits from Ultrons (I guess they purposefully didn't want to kill people, except for that one time when they tried?) or from having buildings fall on them or falling off of things and no superhero was around to save them.  I mean, it was an entire city; the group of them can't be everywhere.

I know it's probably because of the rating and "family" aspect of the film, but still I think the viewer should feel that something is actually at stake; that this stuff is really dangerous.  Otherwise it's just a bunch of special effects and short quips.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #358 on: May 16, 2015, 10:14:50 am »

Really, most of your concerns can be addressed by a PG13 rating. They make a point to show people being saved because that is what the heroes are trying to do. At the end of The Avengers, we see news footage of New York including a memorial for civilians that died in the battle. In Age of Ultron the group goes into hiding after the Hulkbuster ordeal because they ARE being held accountable. Just because they don't show civilian death doesn't mean they ignore it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:47:43 am by enfynet »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 16, 2015, 11:26:22 am »

I know it's been a while already, but lets avoid unspoilered spoilers? Please?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #360 on: May 16, 2015, 11:31:46 am »

I know it's been a while already, but lets avoid unspoilered spoilers? Please?

Titanic sinks.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 16, 2015, 11:43:45 am »

Marty McFly goes back to the future.

Sleeping Beauty actually wakes up. Twist ending!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 16, 2015, 11:47:00 am »
+2

I'm not sure this is really spoiler material, but I'll oblige.

In general, the grotesque realities of mass violence get glossed over in superhero movies. For a foe to be able to stand up to Superman or Thor, he'd have to have enough power to level cities, and there would surely be splash damage because villains tend to not give a fuck about the well-being of bystanders. So yeah, the nature of Ultron's machinations would result in several messy deaths with viscera flying all over the place. But that's not the type of experience people pay for to watch these movies.

On the other hand, there are movies for that experience. Daredevil (technically a show) is gritty and pulls no punches in showing how people get hurt, though there really haven't been any planet-shaking plots yet on the scale of the Avengers.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 16, 2015, 11:51:55 am »

I've never seen a single Fast/Furious movie, and I can't think of a compelling reason to.

Stay on that path.

Now granted, my enjoyment of Furious 7 was, I'm sure, blunted by the fact that I hadn't seen the others. It shows. They were wrapping up previous character arcs, and it was obvious. Still, I could figure out why it was a big deal that this guy has a kid. I could tell that she was dealing with some sort of trauma from the previous movies. The problem wasn't with following the plot; I feel they actually handled that gap fairly well.

But the writing was terrible, and the actors looks embarrassed to deliver those lines. Even Kurt Russell tried really hard to ham it up, and it just fell flat. And while I respect Vin Diesel for being a jock who games, I cringed every time he opened his mouth.

I couldn't even finish the movie. After the ridiculous air drop scene, I turned to my wife to ask her if she'd seen enough only to see that she fell asleep. So that answered that question. I am so glad I did not go to see Furious 7. I just wish that my drive-in money went entirely to Mad Max, but I'm guessing it gets split between both movies.
A man has no signature

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 16, 2015, 01:57:15 pm »
+1

@pacovf : Of the Marvel movies I'd consider bad (so anything that isn't Avengers 1/2, Iron Man, GotG and Winter Soldier) Iron Man 3 is certainly the only one that aspires to be more than just a by-the-books superhero flick. It does try to put Iron Man in a new situation and explore the ramifications of what happened in The Avengers... I just think it fails pretty badly. There's also the problem that the villain, aside from the very funny twist, is forgettable, and to be honest I couldn't even tell you what he was really trying to achieve, which is a pretty huge flaw of the movie.

I think The Avengers and GotG are pretty close, ultimately I give Avengers the edge because the inevitable 30 minutes of huge CGI action at the end were done in a much more interesting way than in GotG (or any other Marvel movie).

@WW : Well they're family movies so they won't show people being brutally murdered, but in Age of Ultron, when Hulk goes berserk, there's a clear implication of numerous civilian casualties that cause the Avengers to get out of the public eye. IN the finale with Ultron, unquestionably thousands of people die, and I don't think the movie tries to hide that, it just won't show you that specifically because, again, family movies. I have no particular problem with that either, not everything needs to be sper dark and gritty.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:01:01 pm by Teproc »
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #365 on: May 16, 2015, 02:12:16 pm »

There's also the problem that the villain, aside from the very funny twist, is forgettable, and to be honest I couldn't even tell you what he was really trying to achieve, which is a pretty huge flaw of the movie.
Killian is working with the Vice President. As for who was in charge of what, I'm not sure. But those two were definitely playing together.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 16, 2015, 03:13:37 pm »

Well, watching Ultron, I didn't get the impression that people were really at danger, that death was happening.  I only got the impression that everyone was saved, happy day.  I knew it had to be happening, but I didn't feel it---I didn't get engrossed.  I compare it to, say, The Dark Knight, which had a PG-13 rating.  In there I felt like lives were really in danger.  People could die, decisions mattered.  Though, most/all of the deaths were off-camera, so there was nothing gruesome and gory.  So you don't have to be Daredevil to show the gravity of the situations our heroes face.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #367 on: May 16, 2015, 03:30:12 pm »

It's much easier to show a boat full of people in danger as compared to an entire city.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 16, 2015, 06:13:00 pm »

In general, the grotesque realities of mass violence get glossed over in superhero movies. For a foe to be able to stand up to Superman or Thor, he'd have to have enough power to level cities, and there would surely be splash damage because villains tend to not give a fuck about the well-being of bystanders. So yeah, the nature of Ultron's machinations would result in several messy deaths with viscera flying all over the place. But that's not the type of experience people pay for to watch these movies.

On the other hand, there are movies for that experience. Daredevil (technically a show) is gritty and pulls no punches in showing how people get hurt, though there really haven't been any planet-shaking plots yet on the scale of the Avengers.

That's actually what I liked about Man of Steel - it showed them fucking up the whole city - there were consequences.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #369 on: May 17, 2015, 01:47:05 am »

That's actually what I liked about Man of Steel - it showed them fucking up the whole city - there were consequences.
Pretty sure Captain America: Civil War will be about accountability.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 17, 2015, 04:36:04 am »

Well yeah The Dark Knight and Avengers work in two very different registers. The Dark Knight is dead serious all the time, Avengers wants to be fun. NOt that it should absolve the movie of any responsibility of having stakes etc. but I think the difference you're describing is that The Dark Knight wants you to think about those deaths, whereas The Avangers : AoU wants you to know they exist, but focus on the cool stuff happening and the interplay between characters. They're very different movies, one is not necessarily better*, they just have very different goals.

*in this case The Dark Knight is better but I'd argue that the first Avengers movie is better than The Dark Knight, but then again I don't have the same adoration for The Dark Knight as many people do. It's a good movie, but it has flaws, like the whole Harvey Dent plot doesn't really work for example.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 18, 2015, 10:39:03 pm »

MAD MAX WAS AWESOME

GO SEE IT

NOW

I did. It was fine. Maybe it was all the hype that's building up around the movie, but I wasn't really impressed. Sure, the art direction (or whatever you want to call it) was top-notch and one of the best I've ever seen, but there's only so many car fights the body can take before it saturates, and two hours of it was clearly too much. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I had seen the previous installments?

Oh, and what happened to the Warlord's baby?

EDIT: A quick Wiki check shows that he dies at birth. It wasn't entirely clear in the movie, it's sort of hard to understand them at times.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:18:04 pm by pacovf »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 18, 2015, 11:23:37 pm »
+1

I picked up on the baby's death from the movie, but I guess I was so starved for dialogue that I clung to anything I could find.

I did enjoy the movie, but the story wasn't much. It was mostly Max versus these boss villains with their very distinctive cars (which was also cool).

I don't think watching the previous movies would have mattered. They pretty much encapsulate the premise of the first movie in a 20-second voiceover.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 21, 2015, 09:44:34 am »

Heh, I happened across a review I gave of Repo! The Genetic Opera. I said that I rate it 2 out of 10, but that score jumps to 7 if you mute the movie.

I remember looking forward to seeing it and being bummed that it popped up for a week and then vanished. I watched it on rental and was floored by how bad the songs were. I mean, when Paris Hilton is not the most disappointing part of the movie, you know something's wrong.

Still, I recall it being a visually striking work, and I kind of want to see it again just for that. I don't know if I can handle the music again, though.
A man has no signature

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 21, 2015, 10:15:35 am »

I just watched that first 2 mad max movies last night. The premise isn't really explained much. Just that fuel is scarce and civil order is breaking down. It's not much backstory, but road warrior had some fun action.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.