Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346862 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #325 on: April 29, 2015, 05:07:47 pm »

Michael Bay should have CGI food.

Where's the Joss Whedon equal blend of many flavors?

And Steven Spielberg should have some CGI dessert or something.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #326 on: April 29, 2015, 05:08:48 pm »

Michael Bay should have CGI food.

Where's the Joss Whedon equal blend of many flavors?

And Steven Spielberg should have some CGI dessert or something.
Lucas should bring you a new version of the meal just as you start enjoying the one you have.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 29, 2015, 05:26:28 pm »

Was Spielberg not involved with the prequels?

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 30, 2015, 07:33:17 am »

I watched A Most Violent Year a few days ago and thought it was extremely well acted, with a main character that was well developed.  It's not quite an action flick, so it feels like the beginning is a  little slow, but the protagonist's internal consistency was extremely interesting to watch.

Albert Brooks was in it too, which is a bonus IMO, though his part was small-ish.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 30, 2015, 12:39:08 pm »

Last night I watched Mullholland Drive. It certainly was strange. It was good though, in a strange movie that makes sense if you think about it kind of way.

It was very creepy though, with the ambiance soundtrack really giving me the spooks. Not to mention that the man behind the diner made me jump in my seat.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 30, 2015, 12:45:43 pm »

Last night I watched Mullholland Drive. It certainly was strange. It was good though, in a strange movie that makes sense if you think about it kind of way.

It was very creepy though, with the ambiance soundtrack really giving me the spooks. Not to mention that the man behind the diner made me jump in my seat.

I suggest watching it multiple times.  The first time I watched it, it was very, very creepy.  I watched it late at night (like, around midnight or so), and the person I was watching it with had fallen asleep close to the beginning.  So I had this weird feeling of not being alone, but actually feeling alone.  I was lost as mesmerized the entire time.  I didn't even know what to think after I finished watching.  I'm not sure a movie has left me feeling quite as strong of an impact before, though Black Swan is close.

The day after, I had a class in the morning.  (I was still in college.)   I spent the entire class looking up explanations and discussions of the movie on the internet.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 30, 2015, 01:05:58 pm »

It is indeed an interesting and different movie, that bears re-watching.  It stayed with me for several days after I saw it.
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 30, 2015, 09:59:48 pm »

Just watched the documentary Life Itself about the life of film critic Roger Ebert.  Well worth watching.
Posting begets posting.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 01, 2015, 06:55:43 pm »

Everyone I know in my area is studying for finals, so I'm sitting in a movie theater by myself waiting for Avengers to start at the moment.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #334 on: May 02, 2015, 12:34:26 am »

Everyone I know in my area is studying for finals, so I'm sitting in a movie theater by myself waiting for Avengers to start at the moment.
Still there? There's nothing at the end.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 06, 2015, 08:03:33 am »

Still there? There's nothing at the end.
Is that a spoiler for (or review of) the movie?
Posting begets posting.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 06, 2015, 08:16:44 am »

The satire was too effective. I keep getting "Everything is Awesome" stuck in my head. Damn you, Legos.
A man has no signature

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 06, 2015, 08:26:32 am »

The satire was too effective. I keep getting "Everything is Awesome" stuck in my head. Damn you, Legos.
Now I'm confused.  How is the new Avengers (Age of Ultron) related to the Lego movie?  I've seen neither.
Posting begets posting.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 06, 2015, 08:59:55 am »

Now I'm confused.  How is the new Avengers (Age of Ultron) related to the Lego movie?  I've seen neither.

I wasn’t talking about the Avengers (but it's a fun movie).

In the Lego Movie, there is a dystopian world (Huxley would be proud…or horrified) where the denizens were mindlessly placated with a popular song "Everything is Awesome." It's an insipid song with a beat, which means it is on par with most songs on Top 40 radio. It's poking fun at pop culture, but the stupid song is stuck in my head now.

I finally got to see Oblivion on HBO. I remember being so utterly disinterested in the movie when watching the trailers. Needless to say, it turned out better than I expected. I'd say the plot is actually worthy of a Phillip K Dick story. The first half was pretty slow; they could have gotten to the big reveal much sooner, but I don't think that the pacing ruined the movie or anything.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 13, 2015, 02:23:15 pm »

So, the men's rights activists are calling to boycott Mad Max. The last I saw, it has 98% on Rotten Tomatoes. I think I'll let the good reviews sway me more than the wave of butthurt. Well, if the movie was getting lousy reviews, I would likely ignore it but not because whiny alpha males demand a boycott.
A man has no signature

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 13, 2015, 03:13:27 pm »

So, the men's rights activists are calling to boycott Mad Max. The last I saw, it has 98% on Rotten Tomatoes. I think I'll let the good reviews sway me more than the wave of butthurt. Well, if the movie was getting lousy reviews, I would likely ignore it but not because whiny alpha males demand a boycott.

Well now that I know men's rights activists are calling for a boycott I basically have to see it.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #341 on: May 13, 2015, 03:17:45 pm »

What the heck are "men's rights activists"???

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #342 on: May 13, 2015, 03:30:02 pm »

What the heck are "men's rights activists"???

They're more or less like feminists but focused on men's "rights" instead of women's "rights".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 13, 2015, 03:55:18 pm »

Further discussion about what MRAs are probably deserves its own thread in RSP.

In short, the rants I've heard (from a pretty tiny minority, I understand) say that the Mad Max film is being used as Hollywood propaganda to further the cause of feminism, so it must be boycotted.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 14, 2015, 02:56:19 pm »

I'll likely be hitting the drive-in this weekend, and Mad Max is one of the movies we'll see. The other movie pairing could be either Age of Ultron or Furious 7. We've already seen AoU, though we're not opposed to seeing it again. Furious 7 does not really interest me, but it has pretty good tomatoes, so it must be better than I give credit for. Maybe I will actually watch a Furious movie.

My question is if I should have seen any of the prequels or know what's going on to enjoy Furious 7. Has anyone seen it that can give some insight?
A man has no signature

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 14, 2015, 04:19:52 pm »

Fast and Furious movies are mindless silly action. You might miss a reference, but I'm sure the plot will be easy to understand, along with the fake looking CGI.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 15, 2015, 07:49:50 am »

I was sick for basically the whole week (feeling a little better now) and thus found myself with some idle time... and decided to watch the whole MCU in order, after recently having seen Avengers 2. Soo...

I'd wall of text it but I'm lazy, so short version (I had already seen Iron Man, Avengers and Guardians, all the others were new to me) :

Iron Man : Good
The Incredible Hulk : Awful
Iron Man 2 : Very bad
Thor : Mediocre
Captain America : The First Avenger : Bad
The Avengers : Excellent

Iron Man 3 : Bad
Thor : The Dark World : Mediocre
Captain America : The Winter Soldier : Very good
Guardians of the Galaxy : Very good
The Avengers : Age of Ultron : Pretty good

Man, phase 1 was disappointing. They're on a decent streak right now though, hope  that continues.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 07:51:30 am by Teproc »
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 15, 2015, 08:19:15 am »

www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-avengers-are-bad-guys-marvel-movies/

This may be of interest to you, since you mostly did the same thing. What I find hilarious is that so much happened globally in a single week, and there isn't some weird media buzz going on.

That's why when the Daredevil series shows a newspaper clipping about the alien attack in New York, it helped put you back into the Marvel universe, though only briefly.
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 15, 2015, 11:10:33 am »

MAD MAX WAS AWESOME

GO SEE IT

NOW
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 15, 2015, 11:49:24 am »

I actually think they're wrong about the Avengers. Both movies specifically take the time to show the Avengers saving civilians to establish them as heroes. This is even arguably the whole point of Age of Ultron. The whole thing they go on about every problem being caused by the Marvel characters is also adressed in Age of Ultron.

The rest boils down to : these movies aren't consistent and mostly don't make sense. Which, yeah.

They do get at a significant problem in phase two though, specifically in The Dark World and Winter Soldier which is that having monumental threats to humanity in the individual movies is a bad idea because itbreaks the willing suspension of disbelief that these guys wouldn't just call each other up to deal with problems. That didn't happen so much in phase 1 : Captain America is in WW2 so no one to call there, Iron Man is mostly dealing with dudes who want to kill him specifically, Thor's problems are also all Asgard-centric, and The Hulk is also fighting for survival.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:52:45 am by Teproc »
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.