Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 348229 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #275 on: February 14, 2015, 02:42:12 pm »

Just saw Jupiter Ascending last night. I had really low expectations for it having skimmed a few reviews, but I actually found it pretty enjoyable.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2015, 03:51:25 pm »

I watched The Equalizer with Denzel Washington last night, and found it entertaining.  I'll watch Denzel in anything, and this was slightly above average.

Has anyone seen the new Dawn of the Planet of the Apes?  I seem to be in action movie mode lately, and am wondering if it is worthwhile.  I liked the one from 3 or 4 years ago.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2015, 04:27:15 pm »

Has anyone seen the new Dawn of the Planet of the Apes?  I seem to be in action movie mode lately, and am wondering if it is worthwhile.  I liked the one from 3 or 4 years ago.

I watched it, and thought it was alright, if not as good as the previous one. It really feels like they were mainly setting up the following movie, while the other one, IMHO, could perfectly stand on its own. The bad guy gets a couple of brilliant scenes, though.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2015, 07:31:00 pm »

I prefer to err on the side of caution.  Also, we often rent movies knowing absolutely nothing about the movie's plot.  My wife really doesn't like knowing anything about what might or might not happen, and she picked this one out.  When I saw the cover, I thought the name was Live, Die, Repeat, but somehow that didn't sink in.

So the name of that movie was actually changed for the DVD release. It's weird.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 17, 2015, 11:47:32 am »

I saw Kingsman over the weekend. It's pretty decent. I've not read the source material, so I cannot say how true to the original it is.

One negative I read about this movie is that it seems to be split between two genres: grim violence or schlocky superspy. I didn't mind it so much, but I can see how some people were turned off by it.

I was really impressed with how Samuel L. Jackson can portray such a nonintimidating persona while still presenting the threat of destruction. A villain doesn't have to exude evil to be nasty; he just needs the will to follow through on his crazy scheme. The kid did a pretty good job. Colin Firth also did a pretty good job; he really sold the action spy character. Michael Caine, unfortunately, was just underused. And I don't mean in terms in screen time. He's a phenomenal actor, but the few scenes he had were just kind of flat. Honestly, they could have inserted just about any actor for 1/10 the price.

For the most part, I enjoyed the movie, so I just have a small list of gripes.

I thought the church scene went far too long. In a sense, that scene was a success because it shows just how nasty Valentine's mind rays can be, even going so far as to affect those who are sworn to protect the world. I was surprised at Galahad just flat-out murdering that woman, and I was waiting for the reveal that he knew she was an enemy spy all along or something. Nope, he simply fell victim to the very plot he was investigating. After that slaughter, it made sense for Galahad to be killed because the movie was just a little too light-hearted to show him dealing with the wracking guilt of mass murder. Valentine shooting Galahad was plenty dark (and yet they still threw in humor with his fear of blood). Regardless of how successful the scene was, it could have been cut by at least 2/3. It's cool to watch the action hero take down soldiers. It's a little uncomfortable watching the action hero murder innocent victims (even if they were all dicks, which was a nice touch to make the audience not feel too sorry for them).

The end gag really seemed out of place. Yeah, there are plenty of jokes and bad language around, but the banter between Eggsy and the princess felt too forced. I can get the homage to previous spy films where the action hero gets the girl, but it just felt like this scene was played up for the sake of being vulgar and not clever. The rest of the film was so clever, so this scene was kind of jarring.

The fireworks were…well, it was an awesome scene, but the CGI fireworks accompanying the exploding heads looked off. This was obviously a very expensive movie, and it just looks like they didn't want to mess with rigging up multiple exploding heads. Maybe that's true, and I couldn't fault them for wanting to give that a miss. Maybe it was just cheaper to superimpose colorful puffs of smock, but it also looked like it. Still, while it looked cheap, it was a very effective scene with Pomp and Circumstance playing.

The setup was a bit slow-going. The 1997 opening was a sloppy introduction to the characters. It didn't help they were dressed in a way that made them hard to recognize. Who is Galahad? Well, apparently he's this guy in 2015, and fortunately we know that because he said so. To be honest, I couldn't tell you if the other characters in 1997 were one-shots or recurring characters. And then there's the building up of Eggsy. It's a helluva training montage, but it was hard to gauge time passing, though the use of the puppies did help with that. That was probably the most clever part of the training montage.

Finally, I leave this hilarious review of the movie: http://www.moviechambers.com/2015/02/12/movie-review-kingsman-the-secret-service/

I say hilarious because this guy seems to think that the choices made during the film are some right-wing conspiracies. I had a laugh over the claims that V for Vendetta was criticizing Bush, so it's only fair that I laugh at this. Yes, the villain is an eco-freak, but I view it as just another motivation for a crazy megalomaniac. I mean, does Die Hard demonize capitalism because the villain is stealing money? Furthermore, so what if Obama is shown as having joined the dark side? Of all the world leaders, Obama is the most recognizable to Americans (no idea if the film in other countries may show other leaders, but I'm sure Obama is still pretty recognizable to them). The conspiracy goes to the very top, and what better way to show that than with the "leader of the free world" casting his lot with Valentine? They sure couldn't have shown Bush or Clinton. And while having fake presidents can work (see 24), it only works if you introduce that character as the president, which would have added more time to an already-long movie. So I feel this reviewer missed the mark and has his opinions clouded by the bogeyman.

Would I go see it again? Perhaps as a matinee. I don't foresee myself owning this movie, but it was pretty fun, flaws and all.
A man has no signature

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #280 on: February 17, 2015, 12:07:09 pm »

I'm so used to watching movies for free that I've started to forget people need value worth more than just their time. I do want to see Kingsman. I'm not a huge fan of excessive violence, but I rather enjoy most every spy movie.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 17, 2015, 12:14:44 pm »

I'm so used to watching movies for free that I've started to forget people need value worth more than just their time. I do want to see Kingsman. I'm not a huge fan of excessive violence, but I rather enjoy most every spy movie.

Many reviewers have compared the violence in Kingsman to that of Kick-Ass. Apparently, they're both done by the same director. I would agree that Kick-Ass is a pretty good litmus test. If you were not uncomfortable with the degree of violence and language in Kick-Ass, then that won't bother you in Kingsman. As an added bonus, Kingsman does not feature a 12-year-old girl constantly being put into mortal danger, though there is a toddler who is put in danger in one scene (and it's best not to think about how many other children were killed during the incident; the ramifications of this plot are quite huge).
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 18, 2015, 08:46:31 pm »

I finally got to watch TMNT on a flight recently.  It lived up to expectations.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2015, 10:00:24 pm »
+1

Which were very low I imagine.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #284 on: February 19, 2015, 09:20:03 am »
+1

TMNT from ten years ago? Or the live action film from last year?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 19, 2015, 02:42:45 pm »

I watched a movie last night that is still on my mind today.  The premise was unusual, enveloping, and as it turns out, haunting, possibly in a disturbing way.

The movie was In Time, with Olivia Wilde (small part), Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried.  I just can't get it out of my mind.
Posting begets posting.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 19, 2015, 02:49:24 pm »

The premise was cute, but the movie itself was toying with the "So bad, it's good" line.

Case in point, the following quote:

"NO ONE should be immortal, if even one person has to die", delivered as a one-liner.

Think about it two seconds.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 19, 2015, 02:49:46 pm »

I watched a movie last night that is still on my mind today.  The premise was unusual, enveloping, and as it turns out, haunting, possibly in a disturbing way.

The movie was In Time, with Olivia Wilde (small part), Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried.  I just can't get it out of my mind.

Oh, I remember seeing previews, but I couldn't tell if it was cool Sci Fi or gimmicky Sci Fi.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 19, 2015, 02:55:58 pm »

The premise was cute, but the movie itself was toying with the "So bad, it's good" line.

Case in point, the following quote:

"NO ONE should be immortal, if even one person has to die", delivered as a one-liner.

Think about it two seconds.

When did the price go up? Yesterday it was one second.

And I didn't hear it delivered as a one liner, on either occurrence.  I thought it was a simple remonstration against stealing someone else's allotted time just so you could add to yours - a morality prounouncement.
Posting begets posting.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 19, 2015, 03:04:29 pm »

I only remember it being delivered once, by Timberlake just after he learns about the whole scheme; it was a one-liner in the sense that it was used to shut down the other guy's rant. Then again I watched it a long time ago, so I might have forgotten.

I know what he was trying to say. It's just that what he ended up saying was mindboggingly dumb. I was using it as proof of the quality of the writing.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 19, 2015, 03:30:28 pm »
+1

This year I decided to watch all the movies nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars (and Césars but I expect no one here cares about that). I'm not sure why I did it, it's not like I believe the Oscars are an actual representation of the best movies have to offer, but it's nice to be able to follow the conversation. A brief summary (in order of how good they - objectively of coure - are). Apologies in advance for the wall of text.

1. The Grand Budapest Hotel. Man that was a fun movie, one I anticipate rewatching, which is not something I usually do. It's very funny, moves along at a breakneck pace and looks gorgeous. If the word "whimsy" doesn't bother you, you should absolutely see this. Definitely the most fun movie of the year (GOTG comes close but drags at times).

2. Boyhood. I had the chance to see this back in the summer when it hadn't been hyped to death. It's really great. It is perhaps a tiny little bit too long, but the actors are great (even the kids), the story is deeply relatable and I love the choice made to skip past the "big" moments and focus more on everyday life, in a way. That makes it sound boring I suppose, but it really isn't. Don't expect to be blown away though, it's not really that kind of movie, and I feel a lot of the backlash it's received was by people who were mislead by the hype.

3. Whiplash. I honestly wasn't entirely convinced about that one before the final scene, which is just amazing and significantly elevated the whole thing for me. It's an incredibly intense movie, and I don't think you have to particularly enjoy jazz or drumming to like it. Don't expect a "fun time" per se though, as I said it's very intense and fairly dark.

4. Selma. I like the trend of biopics focusing on a specific part of the person's life, and this does it very well, going pretty deep on the amount of strategizing that went into planning the Selma march. I don't think the movie is great as its attempts to make me care about MLK's relationship with his wife completely failed (not that I ddn't want to, I just think the movie only does it half-heartedly), but it's definitely worth watching.

5. The Theory of Everything. I fully expected to be bored to tears because I don't generally enjoy biopics, but this worked for me. Its nothing special and there's certainly nothing new, but the performance by Eddie Redmayne (who plays Stephen Hawking) is amazing and makes the whole movie work and kept me engaged throughout.

6. The Imitation Game. This is what I mean when I say I don't generally enjoy biopics. I don't really have a specific criticism to make about te movie, but I was bored, very bored. On paper it should have been much more thrilling that The Theory of Everything, with Enigma serving as an actual story to be told rather than just the Turing's life, but nope. I also completely disagree about a moment the movie tries to play as heroic but that actually is incredibly pretentious on the main character's part.

7. Birdman. Now this is an interesting movie, no doubt about that. The visual aspect of it, how it looks like it's shot in one take and the music are both amazing. However it's all an empty shell. The movie tried to be both a satire and a glorification of Hollywood, you never quite know if the actors are doing self-parody or if you're actually supposed to take them seriously, and that's because te movie quite simply has nothing to say about anything, despite being very pretentious about it. It looks like it's likely to win too, which pisses me off a bit.

8. American Sniper. I don't really buy the controversy about it glorifying the Irak War, because I just don't think this movie aims to pick any side. On anything. It's basically an action movie that seems like it also wants to talk about PTSD for a minute, until it decides PTSD isn't really that big a deal and that real Americans just decide to get better one day. Even the actions scenes are sometimes a little ridiculous. The only good thing about it is Bradley Cooper's performance, but that's it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:32:48 pm by Teproc »
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 19, 2015, 03:46:45 pm »

I don't remember if I brought this up here or not, but if you liked Boyhood, the same director did Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Before Midnight.  All starting Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy.  Some of my favorite movies.

Birdman was extremely good, probably my favorite movie I saw last year.  Boyhood was close as well.  I only saw the last portion of The Grand Budapest Hotel while flipping through channels one night, but what I saw was quite good.  The others I haven't seen, but I really want to see The Theory of Everything and The Imitation Game, partly because they're supposed to be good, but primarily because I'm interested in the subjects.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 19, 2015, 03:52:08 pm »

Yeah I know about the Before movies, I'm definitely interested in seeing them, probably will a some point.

Since you loved Birdman : what did you take away from the movie, aside from the technical/visual achievment ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 19, 2015, 04:13:08 pm »
+1

Yeah I know about the Before movies, I'm definitely interested in seeing them, probably will a some point.

Since you loved Birdman : what did you take away from the movie, aside from the technical/visual achievment ?

Well, there was a lot of, uh.. self reference?  Symbolism?  I mean... having Keaton play a famous superhero actor who was remembered for his one favorite role but was internally struggling to do something meaningful, while Keaton himself is primarily known for his Batman role and has fallen out of the spotlight in recent years.  Having Edward Norton play a character who has a quirky acting style and is notoriously hard to work with, while those same kind of rumors surround him in real life.  And both Norton and Emma Stone have been in superhero movies (Norton played Hulk, Emma Stone was in one of the Spidermans).  Moreover, Keaton essentially created the realization of the super hero movie.  These movies existed before Batman, but Batman was the first one that reached a big audience and made it possible (i.e., money-making) for others.  And now superhero movies dominate the box office.  So in itself the premise of an actor that popularized the superhero business in an "artsy" film about an actor that played a popular superhero that wants to now do something serious amuses me.

I think a big thing was issues of self-worth and identity.  Obviously, Keaton's character was struggling to remain meaningful, to do something that was fulfilling to him.  And there was a struggle between being successful and doing something worthwhile, that he could actually be proud of.  Birdman in a way represented selling out.  And also, while he was successful as Birdman, he was a failure at his personal life (divorced, estranged daughter). But also Norton's character portrayed the identity crisis of an actor.. the who are you really if you just pretend to be people? kind of thing.  He basically blatantly said this, plus the thing with the impotence and only being able to get an erection on the stage.  And the entire real-life/fantasy ambiguity is probably symbolic of the identity crisis.

But aside from that.. man, it was just awesome to watch.  I think the acting was tremendous, the storytelling kept me wanting to see what would happen next the entire time, and it was very funny at times. 

And, the entire time I was watching it I simply had no idea what was going to happen or where they were going.  I like movies that do that (while still managing to make sense at the end).

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 19, 2015, 04:13:57 pm »

Everyone I've talked to says Birdman was amazing, both film people and people who know nothing about film. I have yet to see it though.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2015, 04:26:22 pm »

while Keaton himself is primarily known for his Batman role

Great, now I feel old.
A man has no signature

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 19, 2015, 05:08:40 pm »
+1

I feel your pain (plus my arthritis).
Posting begets posting.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 19, 2015, 05:10:38 pm »

But aside from that.. man, it was just awesome to watch.  I think the acting was tremendous, the storytelling kept me wanting to see what would happen next the entire time, and it was very funny at times. 

And, the entire time I was watching it I simply had no idea what was going to happen or where they were going.  I like movies that do that (while still managing to make sense at the end).

Ok, well I agree with that first part (with a caveat on Keaton's performance), not so much with the "still making sense" part.

@Kuildeous : What else would Keaton primarly be known for ? The next biggest movie I can think of would be Jackie Brown, but it's more recent so I doubt that's what you're referring to.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 19, 2015, 05:11:10 pm »

Johnny Dangerously!  And Beetlejuice. 

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 19, 2015, 05:18:13 pm »
+2

@Kuildeous : What else would Keaton primarly be known for ? The next biggest movie I can think of would be Jackie Brown, but it's more recent so I doubt that's what you're referring to.
Once, he had mainly been in comedies. When he was cast in Batman, there was backlash from fans; that guy from Mr. Mom, you've gotta be kidding me, he can't be Batman.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.