Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 345999 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2014, 02:07:33 pm »

Guardians of the Galaxy is officially the #1 movie of 2014. It likely won't have a challenger until Mockingjay. It also has potential to outgross both Iron Man and Iron Man 2.

In other news: The new movies this week are doing less business than Guardians on week 5, and Turtles on week 4.

We went to see Guardians last night... our first movie in a theater in four years.  Absolutely loved it.  Some small problems, but nothing major.

I don't know that I care to see another 3D movie though; it felt gimmicky and unnecessary.

Most of the time it is gimmicky and unnecessary. I hate the extra cost associated with it, and I'd rather just see it in 2D.

That being said, I saw Guardians in 3D but only because it was part of a package. For $25 a person, I got to eat a brisket dinner, enjoy four beers, and take in a movie. I was perfectly content with that price and did not mind the 3D one bit.

In general, I'll go for the cheaper 2D. Even Avatar, which has been heralded as great 3D didn't really do much for me with those glasses.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2014, 02:11:43 pm »

All 3D movies suffer the same problem.

Is it a good movie because of 3D or without 3D?

Basically, if it needs 3D then it's probably not good, and if its good then it probably doesn't need 3D.

There were two scenes in Guardians that I felt 3D really added something.
The end where Quill grabs the stone and the purple swirlyness camera move. And the title scene with Quill in the ruins.

The annoying thing is that I didn't have the (practical) option to see it on an IMAX screen that wasn't in 3D.  I prefer not 3D always.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1161
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2014, 02:27:32 pm »

Too bad you aren't in the Cleveland area. We've got a secret weapon in Euclid.

www.atlascinemas.net/xxdxp.aspx
XXDXP - EXPERIENCE EXTREME DIGITAL XL PRESENTATION
60 Feet of High-Definition DLP Digital Presentation and total SURROUND SOUND!
SEE IT, HEAR IT, FEEL IT, IN XXDXP.... Big Screen Experience, No Extra Charge!
At over 60 feet wide, the XXDXP screen is the largest DIGITAL screen in the Cleveland market. At Atlas Cinemas Lakeshore 7 in Euclid you can get an experience similar to IMAX© or XD© -AT NO EXTRA CHARGE! Have you experienced XXDXP?
Check out this feature at Atlas Cinemas in XXDXP!
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2014, 02:37:35 pm »

All 3D movies suffer the same problem.

Is it a good movie because of 3D or without 3D?

Basically, if it needs 3D then it's probably not good, and if its good then it probably doesn't need 3D.
But if it needs 3D and it's good with 3D, isn't it just good then?

I prefer 3D in theaters, since I can always get the 2D experience later when I'm home.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #179 on: August 31, 2014, 02:43:48 pm »

That's exactly the dilemma. You get the very rare films like Avatar and Gravity where people prefer seeing it in 3D, but most of the time 3D attendance is about half non-3D attendance.

As for cost, anything with "Real D" attached has a contract (same with IMAX) where cinemas MUST charge an additional cost over their normal ticket prices. In our case, the minimum difference for Real D is $3 per ticket.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2014, 05:46:23 pm »

So there's a thing on FB about listing 15 movies that stuck with you...not necessarily movies that are your favorites (though I do have a lot of overlap with those two lists). I thought I'd share mine. If others have their own influences, feel free to share. Maybe 15. Maybe not.

1. Shallow Grave - First movie I've seen with Ewan McGregor and Christopher Eccleston. I still love the ending.
2. Reservoir Dogs - Back when I didn't even know who Tarantino is. I still consider this his best. Perhaps it's because this movie was not tainted by the rush of being told he's awesome.
3. Brazil - It warped my little brain, but it made me appreciate the absurdity of real life. I saw it before I entered the cube farm, and now that I'm in a cube farm, everything is so vivid. I'm a fan of dystopian stories, and this is one of them.
4. The Re-Animator - Not a great movie, but it was amusing because my friend and I snuck out during class to watch this in the AV room. It was the unrated version, so zombified cunnilingus was there in its full glory.
5. Heavy Metal - This movie is so dated, and it's so schlocky and testosterone-ridden, but it was my first adult animated movie. John Candy delivered some of the best lines.
6. Alien - Technically, Jaws would have been my first horror film, but I was way too young to understand what was happening. Alien, however, was on HBO during a time in my life when I understood what was happening, and it scared the shit out of me. My tummy did flip-flops during the scary scenes, so I stood behind a chair so it couldn't see the TV. You can guess that it didn't work.
7. Little Shop of Horrors - I think this was the first musical I saw in a movie theatre. I didn't know it was a musical going in. I kind of wish it had the stage version's ending, but it's a good movie regardless.
8. American History X - There are plenty of examples of bigotry, and they aren't necessarily in works of fiction, but I am glad this is a fictional story. The curb-stomping scene still makes me cringe, but the whole hatred thing just really oozes off the screen, and it makes you angry and sad at once.
9. The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover - Probably not my first Helen Mirren movie, but it's the first one where I learned who she was. Made me really appreciate the sexuality of women over 40. This movie was a great blend of music and colors to portray mood along with story. I hate how the choir boy's song overpowers everything and wish for a version where his role is muted. The ending is still one of the most haunting murals of hatred today.
10. Near Dark - I think this was my first taste of nontraditional vampires. No nosferatu or creepy Christopher Lee. This was good old-fashioned redneck vampires in a Winnebago. It also showed just how cavalier they considered life when they slaughter the bar patrons.
11. Tommy - The visuals were pretty wild in this one, so that's unfair. When I was old enough to understand the story, it stuck with me. A Messiah who gets rejected by his own followers when he no longer teaches a path they like.
12. Star Wars trilogy - My first sci-fi love (even though it's not sci-fi). I saw all three in the theatre, though I was quite young. I vaguely remember even seeing A New Hope. I remember specific scenes from Empire Strikes Back. Return of the Jedi might have been the first movie in theatres I saw since my father died (who was with me the other two times), so there is still a soft spot for this series, even though I hated the way Boba Fett died.
13. Memento - I like mindfucks, and this one stuck with me for a while. Technically, it's not entirely filmed in reverse order (such as Irreversible), but the backwards storytelling really put you in the mindset of the protagonist. After watching this movie, I would wake up in the middle of the night and ask myself where I was.
14. Fight Club - This movie really drove home that marketing sucks. I ignored this movie because the trailer looked like another Van Damme wannabe with a bunch of testosterone-laden fights. There was testosterone, all right, but it was in different places. I watched this movie wondering why it was such a big deal for a brainless action movie and realized it was much more than that.
15. Cabin in the Woods - This movie is so meta, it hurts. Deconstructing all your favorites (and yelling-at-screen nonfavorites) in horror tropes. It really becomes a different movie after a certain point, and it has so many quotable lines.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2014, 12:56:38 pm »
+1

God Help the Girl is finally out; playing at Village East Cinema in New York:

http://www.villageeastcinema.com/angelika_film.asp?hID=166&ID=4816973.z030630690316q82j5.77

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #182 on: September 14, 2014, 02:26:54 am »
+1

Guardians of the Galaxy became the first 2014 film to reach $300M domestic.

And I got the soundtrack as an anniversary gift. :)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2014, 10:26:19 am »

So I caught Ender's Game last night on HBO.. only half-watched while I was doing other things.  I wouldn't say it's bad, persay, just sort of.. flat and uninspiring.  I'm not sure if I would feel different if I paid more attention to it, but I had trouble getting immersed the way I had with the books.  I'm also not sure if I would have felt any different if I hadn't read the books.  In the books you really get kind of connected to Ender, and the revelation that His battle school "tests" were really actual battles in the war hit a lot harder.  (Maybe a lot of book readers predicted that.. I didn't see it until right before it was explicitly said in the book.)  So I don't know.. just left me feeling kind of "eh".

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2014, 10:44:12 am »

I read Ender's Game and got punched in the gut with that revelation.

Since I read the book first, I cannot say if the movie had the same punch, but I got the feeling it didn't. It just didn't seem to build up to it properly, but I think that may have been because the book had more training exercises than the movie. In the movie's defense, if it showed more training exercises, then it'd get really tedious.

It also doesn't help that I feel the trailer gave away too much of the ending. It didn't come right out and tell you, but I think it was made easier to see what was coming.
A man has no signature

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2014, 12:06:57 pm »

I never saw Enders Game but the preview did indicate a "twist" and since it focused on the young boy making severe decisions, it followed that those decisions were real.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2014, 01:31:33 pm »

I hate it when trailers give too much away.

I really hated the marketing for Terminator 2, because they came out and said that this time, Arnold is the good guy. The way the movie is laid out, it really was unclear who would be the good guy. They changed things up a little bit from the first movie. In the first movie, Arnold killed upon arriving in the 20th century while Reese did not (though his entrance was violent too). In the second movie, the T1000 killed upon arriving while Arnold did not (again, this was also violent). So they really missed their chance to wow the audience with a middle-of-the-movie twist because of marketing. Jerks.

It was still an awesome movie, but it would have been much cooler to go, "Wait…he's helping him? Wha?"
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2014, 01:18:00 am »

Finally, the Zero Theorem came out in the US this weekend. I managed to watch it this afternoon.

True enough, as a Gilliam fan, I enjoyed the whole movie, even the slow parts. I'm not sure how to movie looks to non-Gilliam fans. It can be slow and ponderous, which could be a turn-off for some people. And it had enough weird random bits that leave some viewers scratching their heads.

Even though this isn't a sequel to Brazil or anything, there are still very strong elements in common. Replace government intrusion with corporate intrusion.

I didn't like the portrayal of "hacking." Granted, it's an alternate universe where things are done differently, so maybe cutting and pasting a Word document in this universe would require flying the paragraph between towering documents before placing it in its new home. Mostly, the maneuvering of blocks with mathematical formulas just came off as an unnecessary gimmick.
A man has no signature

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2014, 01:19:23 pm »
+1

So I went to an animation festival in Ottawa and saw a number of really cool short films and two talks from animators. One that really stood out for me was this one, so I thought I'd share.

EDIT: It's explicit.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:20:44 pm by KingZog3 »

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2014, 01:19:46 am »

So after The Prestige discussion in the Random thread, I decided to finally watch it tonight. I must say, although I didn't quite figure the twist, I did suspect something was up with Bale's assistant, simply because of the lack of screen time compared to Caine's character. It felt like he should have been more important.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 02, 2014, 05:16:25 pm »
+2

I just watched the new David Fincher movie Gone Girl which is another excellent movie from him. Go see it.

Also it has a little Easter Egg in it. Both Dominion and Race for the Galaxy are depicted in the movie. I was really surprised seeing those games prominently in the middle of the screen.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 07, 2014, 12:24:25 pm »

Continuing a discussion from television to movies.

In general, I find the bits that I have seen [of David Lynch's movies] to be visually engaging. And sometimes aurally engaging too (loved the Spanish version of "Crying" in Mulholland Drive). So I would say they're worth watching at least once, though I do have my reservations about recommending Eraserhead. I may even give Lost Highway another shot, even though I got bored of it the first time I tried to watch it. 

I suppose Lynch being considered "overrated" depends on the crowd you talk with. I have my mainstream discussions and I have my cult classic discussions. Lynch's name came up often when talking about the likes of early Kevin Smith, Peter Jackson, and Coens. I guess I was just used to people talking him up so much that I started doing it too. After all, these were people who routinely talked about Doom Generation, Reservoir Dogs, and Heavenly Creatures. So if they talked about Lynch as reverently as those movies, then what's not to love?
A man has no signature

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2014, 08:32:00 pm »

I feel like his career peaked with Mulholland Drive. I can't say much of his work stands out as being "overrated" as I've rarely heard it being praised.  Directors tend to lose my interest if they try too hard to separate themselves from the mainstream. It comes off as forcefully fake and distracting. Tarantino is one of the few who has a noticeable style without making the movie suffer.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2014, 10:04:31 am »
+1

I watched Cloud Atlas a while ago. Was pretty good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2014, 03:00:53 pm »

A clip from Whiplash. Dumb. Really dumb.

Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2014, 03:55:37 pm »

A clip from Whiplash. Dumb. Really dumb.

That's not how you learned to play? Weird.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2014, 04:27:46 pm »

I watched Cloud Atlas a while ago. Was pretty good.

I loved Cloud Atlas.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2014, 04:59:02 pm »
+2

"Why did I throw a chair at your head?"

"Um, because you're a fucking psycho?"
A man has no signature

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2014, 12:01:37 am »

"Why did I throw a chair at your head?"

"Um, because you're a fucking psycho?"

because abuse teaches kids better than actually teaching them.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 26, 2014, 01:26:33 am »
+2

Saw Birdman tonight.  Really, really good.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.