Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 347031 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2014, 01:39:47 pm »

Man, speaking of time travel and foreign films, I recommend Los Cronocrímenes (Timecrimes). I am not going to spoil anything, but if you like time travel movies, check it out.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2014, 01:46:01 pm »
+1

It wasn't that she loved him. It was that she willingly sacrificed her life for him. She didn't have to die, due to promise made to Snape.

Anyways, of course it's full of plot holes and inconsistencies, it started as a bedtime
story for her kid. The plot isn't the point of the books, it's the atmosphere and magical world
she created.

I can't for the life of me understand why people would bring the movies
to the discussion. They are obviously very bad, and I doubt all eight would even
have been made if the book series wasn't so universally loved.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2014, 01:55:24 pm »
+1

It wasn't that she loved him. It was that she willingly sacrificed her life for him. She didn't have to die, due to promise made to Snape.

Again, I have a hard time imagining that in the history of ever this hasn't happened before.

Anyways, of course it's full of plot holes and inconsistencies, it started as a bedtime
story for her kid. The plot isn't the point of the books, it's the atmosphere and magical world
she created.

Actually, this is a good way to put it. As children's books they are very good. I guess I just feel people see them as adult books, and they just aren't of that calibre. I appreciate no plot holes, and consistency between books, but I know that may be less important for some people.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2014, 02:14:34 pm »

My biggest problem with the Harry Potter series is that the universe it takes place in is just so silly it's impossible for me to suspend my disbelief.  Two wizards fighting is just the most anticlimactic thing ever, there are so many ridiculously overpowered spells that it's just a matter of who can pull out their wand first.

But the thing that really drives me crazy is, it's never clarified (that I'm aware of) whether spells are created or discovered.  If they're created, you would think learning how to create spells would be the main topic of study for wizards, you would be going to school to learn how to come up with new spells or improvise useful spells for whatever situation you're in.  If they're just discovered, then 1. it's a bizarre coincidence they all have Latin roots, but more importantly 2. the process of discovering them is just hilariously stupid.  I can imagine a bunch of ancient wizards standing around waving their wands in random patterns saying random gibberish until something happens, and then when something finally does happen trying to figure out what they said and how they moved their wand.

I also hate the ending.  I don't mind so much that Harry wins, but the whole thing where he dies and then comes back and kills Voldemort, that just seemed really bad.  If it had been "Harry kills Voldemort but he has to kill himself to do it", I think that would have been a lot more consistent/believable, as well as just a more interesting ending.

There are some things HP does really well, it's fun and some of the characters are really well done I think.

Also time travel is dumb.

Alternate timeline, paradox-free time travel is the only time travel I won't get annoyed with.

I think what you're talking about is the same kind of time travel that I also decided was the only thing that was acceptable (like, you just switch over to another timeline and the world continues as if it had been on that timeline all along).  I watched about 12 episodes of Stein's Gate which uses that same kind of time travel, but I stopped watching it when the main character can apparently retain his memories after time traveling, which is completely inconsistent with the way they describe time travel in earlier episodes.  (I never finished the series so maybe they explain that later, but I can't imagine what kind of explanation they could give that would be satisfying.)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2014, 03:25:48 pm »
+5

Stories to not have to have believable or justifiable plot development points, they only need to be told well.

The Harry Potter stories were told well.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2014, 05:07:21 pm »
+3

Stories to not have to have believable or justifiable plot development points, they only need to be told well.

The Harry Potter stories were told well.

I very much disagree. No, they don't need to be realistic, but I most certainly need to believe they are happening. The characters need to act in ways that seem normal given the context. When you write a story/book or anything, the audience needs to believe what is happening, not that it can happen, but that it is happening in the story. You need to convince them that this story is happening. Otherwise they feel disconnected and don't care for the characters. If a person sees a dragon they need to react in a believable way. If they jump up and down yelling "pizza," and there's no context to this, no matter how well it's told I won't believe it and the universe of the story breaks down in my mind.

In Harry Potter, Dumbledore constantly just says things crypticly, doesn't explain anything, and even when he does there are often parts left unexplained. This doesn't convince me that this is happening. the sillyness of some of the plots also take away from how believable this is. Game of Throne has magic, but the people in it act in ways that seem appropriate and complete goals that are within their means. Not like HP, where students seem to be able to fight through government defences and professional evil people.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2014, 05:56:52 pm »

Not like HP, where students seem to be able to fight through government defences and professional evil people.

It's a children's story. What do you expect? Children always outsmart adults in children's stories (nearly always, sometimes animals outsmart the adults instead).

The Harry Potter films are not really worth discussing as works of art but they are certainly worth a cinema ticket. The story and characters hold up whether it is in a film or in a book. I imagine they will also keep their popularity over the next decade or more whilst all the superhero films will get dated quickly, even the best ones.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2014, 06:40:18 pm »

Not like HP, where students seem to be able to fight through government defences and professional evil people.

It's a children's story. What do you expect? Children always outsmart adults in children's stories (nearly always, sometimes animals outsmart the adults instead).

My post before said that they are good children's books. However, that last post that you quoted was written because Witherweaver said a story doesn't need to be believable to be good, and the previous discussion was about HP. So I mixed to two. My claim was that stories need to be believable, otherwise you will lose the audience. If your target audience is children, then HP is fine, but as an adult I am not riveted to it because it is not believable, not the story nor the characters even if it is told well. In fact, I'd go as far as saying telling a story well means that you are telling it in a believable way.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2014, 07:07:09 pm »

she created.

I can't for the life of me understand why people would bring the movies
to the discussion. They are obviously very bad, and I doubt all eight would even
have been made if the book series wasn't so universally loved.
Not all of the movies are bad. I rather like the 3rd and the 4th. The fifth one, though, is undoubtedly one of the worst movies I've ever seen and definitely the worst adaptation of anything ever.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2014, 11:20:52 am »
+1

These threads are always good ways for me to learn about movies I absolutely must watch.

I'm kind of snobbish about movies, but I'm not a very elite snob. I prefer my movies to have good stories and characters while shrugging off mindless action. I like action, but it's much more enjoyable if it's smart action (the first Matrix movie was pretty smart).

It is noticeable when a director does a long shot. Tarantino was mentioned in this thread for that reason, and I do dig when he can pull off those long shots (or more accurately, when his actors can pull off those long shots). While I felt Irreversible was too slow and ponderous, I respect the fact that each sequence was shot in a continuous scene, which may explain why it felt like the taxicab scene just kept going in circles. And the long-shot appreciation doesn't stop with movies. Weird Al's "Tacky" video was well done as well as just about every video from OK Go.

I'm often not too keen on movies that are more style than substance, but sometimes the style is so interesting that I will forget the lack of substance. Scott Pilgrim has great style, and I can forgive the fact that the story could really have been told in half an hour without all the weird nuances. It's like winking to the audience, and I enjoyed that. A more subtle approach is how they handled English subtitles for Nightwatch. The subtitles helped convey the mood and were actually a part of the movie.

I think Marvel Studios is doing a phenomenal job. I suspect that the reason that Marvel Studios is doing so well with the Marvel characters compared to Sony and Fox is that the writers are fans of the comics and so are the producers. Sony doesn't care about Spider-Man. They just want to make money and are willing to jack with canon. To Fox, X-Men is just a way to cash in on Ian McKellan's and Patrick Stewart's popularity. Marvel Studios seems to actually take the source material to heart. They may change canon, but they do it in a way that is pleasing to the fans. I found Hulk and Iron Man 2 and 3 kind of shruggable, but I enjoyed them regardless. Everything else lately has been happy for me. I'm really looking forward to Ultron.

I suppose I should reconsider my top 5 movies. I hate top 5s. I like too many movies, but people tend to ask what your favorite five are, so I composed one back in the 90s. My list consisted of:
* Reservoir Dogs
* Brazil
* Shallow Grave
* The Usual Suspects
* Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead

And even then, my list would be shaky due to Leon: The Professional; Dr. Strangelove; and the Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover. And now there are newer movies like Fight Club, Inception, and Memento to really muck with my list.
A man has no signature

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2014, 11:35:29 am »

When I do favorite movies, I need genre/content clarification. It's very similar to answering "what's your favorite roller coaster?"

With that in mind, I can't really openly think of 5 off the top of my head that I enjoy more than a hundred others.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2014, 11:45:07 am »

A top 5 is hard I'm still watching and replacing movies, but Snatch is up there a Ive seen it many times and still enjoy it. Fight club is good, but the twist wears off I find. Still up there though. Inglrious bast weds was really good, and recently Drive makes it in the list. But there are other whih all are good in various that I can't really put them in order.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2014, 11:57:06 am »

The Science of Sleep
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2014, 11:59:22 am »

Recently sat down and in the rarest of moments decided I wanted to watch a Rom-Com. My Idiot Brother turned out to be exactly what I was wanting to see. Can't say I recommend Rom-Coms in general but if your in the mood I found it enjoyable.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2014, 12:05:37 pm »

Recently sat down and in the rarest of moments decided I wanted to watch a Rom-Com. My Idiot Brother turned out to be exactly what I was wanting to see. Can't say I recommend Rom-Coms in general but if your in the mood I found it enjoyable.

Hey, thanks, I've been on the fence about watching this on Netflix.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2014, 12:06:31 pm »

Note quite rom-com, but this series is the best romantic type movies I've ever seen:

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Before Midnight

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2014, 12:23:44 pm »

It's very similar to answering "what's your favorite roller coaster?"
I don't think that's a difficult question at all, I instantly thought of this one. Well, I haven't tried a lot of roller coasters since the options in Finland are fairly limited, though.

My top 5 favorite movies would probably be, in some order: Heart String Marionette, the Madoka Magica movies, Dancer in the Dark, Mononoke-hime, and The Act of Killing (wow, that's a lot of ways to ruin your day, now that I think of it). It's a huge shame to leave LOTR/TH out, but as entertaining as they are, they stop keeping me immersed when they end.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2014, 12:39:40 pm »

It's very similar to answering "what's your favorite roller coaster?"
I don't think that's a difficult question at all, I instantly thought of this one. Well, I haven't tried a lot of roller coasters since the options in Finland are fairly limited, though.

My top 5 favorite movies would probably be, in some order: Heart String Marionette, the Madoka Magica movies, Dancer in the Dark, Mononoke-hime, and The Act of Killing (wow, that's a lot of ways to ruin your day, now that I think of it). It's a huge shame to leave LOTR/TH out, but as entertaining as they are, they stop keeping me immersed when they end.

So I tried to watch heart string marionette, but it was 2 am and I was playing dominion with FTTW. I decided to watch it when it wouldnt keep me awake from being scared.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2014, 01:47:05 pm »
+1

Interesting timing, as over the past week I just watched all the Harry Potter movies (the last few for the first time). I enjoyed them as a whole. Yeah, it would have been a stronger ending if the prophecy basically said that Harry and Voldemort's lives were bound together in such a way that neither could die unless they both did, and then Harry sacrifices himself to kill Voldemort. Kind of like a really great anime series that I won't name so that I don't spoil it; but anyone who's seen it probably knows what I'm talking about.

I like how as the movies went on, you learned more and more about the past with Voldemort and Snape and Harry's family. I like how they got darker and more adult as it went on. Yeah, there were all sorts of unexplained things and plotholes and stuff; but I don't think it was ever meant to be a believable story. I liked the movies while acknowledging that they aren't all that great.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2014, 01:48:29 pm »
+1

This feels like the right place to proclaim how terrible of a movie Avatar was, and how everyone involved was bad and should feel bad.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2014, 02:08:12 pm »

I wouldn't go with terrible, but it definitely wasn't original. I never would have guessed it would be as popular as it was. Then again, I didn't find Titanic to be all that incredible either. Cameron just knows how to make money.

(Can't wait til Avatar 2-3-4...)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2014, 02:33:17 pm »

Top 5

1 - The Shining
2 - The Princess Bride
3 - Natural Born Killers
4 - Four Rooms
5 - The Usual Suspects

I think... if I tried too hard I'd get analysis paralysis.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2014, 04:40:39 pm »

I'm entirely certain I couldn't do a top five.  Even just among SFF films.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2014, 04:49:25 pm »

I'm entirely certain I couldn't do a top five.  Even just among SFF films.

Yeah, I think I really went by most viewed and shared amongst general acquaintances although The Shining is actually on the list regardless.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2014, 01:08:02 am »

Tonight's post-work feature: Good Morning Vietnam
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 21 queries.