Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346793 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2014, 04:24:07 pm »

Well, I never attempted to watch any HP movies. I just happened to catch parts of various films through other people watching, or from the projection booth back when film was still widely used.

The books are better anyway.
So much better.

Can we talk about movies in general here? I just went to see guardians of the galaxy, how is this well liked? What am I missing? I'd give it maybe 3/10 and even that's generous and mostly due to a couple of excellent one-liners.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm just going to link this review:

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/guardians-of-the-galaxy-movie-review

Frankly, it just sounds... fun.  Which would be nice after all of the gritty reboots of everything.  I swear, soon enough we'll be seeing a gritty reboot of Princess Bride.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2014, 04:30:56 pm »

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/guardians-galaxy-2014-movie-review/ This review sums up my thoughts pretty well. Couldn't disagree more with the praise of that other review. It was fun at times, I can give it's fans that. But it wasn't brilliant or well-written. The story made no sense, the characters either made no sense or were completely one-dimensional.

Edit: How badly am I missing out, never having seen Princess Bride?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2014, 04:36:14 pm »

Really, really badly.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2014, 04:43:38 pm »

Really, really badly.

Not that badly. It's still a decent movie. And well worth watching.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2014, 05:25:53 pm »

I thought Guardians was really funny, so funny that it's probably better watched as a comedy. Other than a few moments that took themselves a liiittle too seriously, it viewed to me almost like a satire or maybe even parody of the superhero genre.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2014, 06:25:07 pm »

How badly am I missing out, never having seen Princess Bride?

You are missing out badly by not having seen it as a child. Unfortunately, you cannot change that now.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2014, 06:28:56 pm »
+3

You are missing out badly by not having seen it as a child. Unfortunately, you cannot change that now.

Might as well throw in the towel.  It's over for you.  Find a wife, make a child of your own, raise him/her on the movie, and live vicariously through his or her happiness. 

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2014, 06:49:55 pm »

Guardians of the Galaxy has been widely well received. At the time of this post:

IMDb - 8.7 / 10
Metacritic - 76 / 100
Rotten Tomatoes -
 - Critics 92% positive (7.7 / 10)
 - Viewers 96% positive (4.5 / 5)
And US domestic box office gross over $200M (worldwide over $400M)

I felt like Star-Lord was very aware of how absurd the situations were, as he is originally from Earth. The humor in the movie seemed to add to the characters, as you are given very little time to establish them in the film.

I am not at all surprised Dsell didn't care for Guardians; most Nolan fans hate the Marvel Studios MCU films. The Dark Knight trilogy put a lot of focus on the villians and their motives, while the MCU films focus on the heroes and give a sense of something bigger happening outside what you see on the screen.

In fact, considering superhero movies a genre at this point is misleading. Guardians was clearly more space-opera. Winter Soldier was more espionage-thriller. Very few superhero films are following superhero standards. Even the Dark Knight was a crime-drama.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2014, 09:50:51 pm »

I am not at all surprised Dsell didn't care for Guardians; most Nolan fans hate the Marvel Studios MCU films. The Dark Knight trilogy put a lot of focus on the villians and their motives, while the MCU films focus on the heroes and give a sense of something bigger happening outside what you see on the screen.

What have I gotten myself into.

I loved Guardians, just like I love most Marvel movies.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2014, 10:50:03 pm »

Good to hear. Now avoid the IMDb boards, they suck all the joy from movies.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2014, 11:12:47 pm »

I remember seeing one review for Guardians on Rotten Tomatoes, saying "It's Star Wars, but all the protagonists are Han Solo." It's actually pretty accurate.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2014, 11:19:54 pm »

I remember seeing one review for Guardians on Rotten Tomatoes, saying "It's Star Wars, but all the protagonists are Han Solo." It's actually pretty accurate.

Man, that should be the movie poster tag line.  Everyone would be like "... yeah I'd see it".

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2014, 11:24:17 pm »

Man, that should be the movie poster tag line.  Everyone would be like "... yeah I'd see it".

Indeed.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2014, 11:44:21 pm »

I've come across a significant number of people that balk when you compare it to Star Wars. Those would be the people that did not enjoy any of the Star Wars movies, in which case they may or may not enjoy Guardians.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2014, 01:22:42 am »

In other news: Tropic Thunder was my movie of the day. Downey cracks me up as a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2014, 10:49:48 am »

Well, I never attempted to watch any HP movies. I just happened to catch parts of various films through other people watching, or from the projection booth back when film was still widely used.

The end of the series was just so horrifically terrible that I hate it all now.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2014, 10:50:13 am »

In other news: Tropic Thunder was my movie of the day. Downey cracks me up as a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Tom Cruise steals the show in that flick.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2014, 12:11:26 pm »

Dead. To. Me.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2014, 12:35:30 pm »
+2

Dead. To. Me.

The whole premise of book 3 which involved time travel, which would be SO USEFUL in all the other books, makes no sense as all time travel stuff makes no sense, and geez, why can't they use this stuff in other situations? I'd love to fight Voldermort using time travel, or slowing down time, which ever it is. Book 4 was a bit silly. There was no reason to let Harry compete just because the goblet put his name out. They could just, you know, say he's too young and figure out what was wrong with the goblet, because clearly that isn't supposed to happen! Don't let him fight a dragon ya morons! Literally no reason to put his life in danger. Also the worst evil plan in history. He could have died so many times before getting to the middle of the maze. And the whole Pensive thing is weird. You can take your memories out of your head so that you can forget them to make room for more, but then wouldn't you just forget about them completely? Like, how does Dumbledore know what's in his pensive unless he regularly looks at it, in which case he's just remembering that same things. Either way he still has to remember it. It's a bit silly. Also, I kind of don't like villains that are evil just for the sake of being evil, which I felt Voldemort was. Also Umbridge was totally evil for the sake of being evil and man, what a weak character. And in book 5 (or 6?) when he goes to get his prophecy from the ministry, why is it that only people who the prophecy is about go and pick it up? It's a terrible safety measure. It's just as dangerous for one person to know their future than it is for other people to know about other people's future. That place should have armed guards 24/7 protecting the room that stores some of the most dangerous weapons ever. But no, instead it's just some riddle typed rooms that a bunch of students can easily get around.

And I agree the ending was fairly poor. It's so expected. We knew Harry was going to live, beat Voldemort and be happy in the end. But it seems the only twist JK Rowling could come up with was just killing a bunch of characters we like, and cutting someone's ear off (or did that happen in book 6?). Also, it was fairly jesus-y if I remember correctly. Harry dies then comes back to life right? He's a saviour, all praise Harry woohoo. And the last chapter with Harry being married kind of has no real purpose. I didn't like it.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2014, 12:38:37 pm »

I started watching it once from the part where the Zoro guy confronts the Sicilian in a battle of wits. Classic.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2014, 12:42:32 pm »
+1

And I agree the ending was fairly poor. It's so expected. We knew Harry was going to live, beat Voldemort and be happy in the end. But it seems the only twist JK Rowling could come up with was just killing a bunch of characters we like, and cutting someone's ear off (or did that happen in book 6?). Also, it was fairly jesus-y if I remember correctly. Harry dies then comes back to life right? He's a saviour, all praise Harry woohoo. And the last chapter with Harry being married kind of has no real purpose. I didn't like it.

Yeah, happy endings suck. Personally, I'd prefer every story to be a tragedy and to always feel depressed.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2014, 12:48:05 pm »
+1

Yeah, happy endings suck. Personally, I'd prefer every story to be a tragedy and to always feel depressed.

It's not whether it's a happy ending or not, it's that it was totally unsurprising. Like, from book 2 I knew it would end like this. There's not twist, and I don't find predictability entertaining in books I read.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2014, 01:01:02 pm »

Dead. To. Me.

The whole premise of book 3 which involved time travel, which would be SO USEFUL in all the other books, makes no sense as all time travel stuff makes no sense, and geez, why can't they use this stuff in other situations? I'd love to fight Voldermort using time travel, or slowing down time, which ever it is.

I'm glad I watched the third film. It is such a good example of why pre-fated paradoxical time-travel is bad for story telling. The intial cleverness wears off, and then most of the suspense for the rest of the story is removed. The book 3 time travel is best left forgotten, on even retconned.

Back to the future style time travel has issues too. Namely, it breaks my willing suspension of disbelief. Chaos theory should apply.

How it should be: Marty steps foot into 1955, altering the wind flow and causing a different sperm to fertilize the egg he was conceived in, and thus Marty is never born.

Alternate timeline, paradox-free time travel is the only time travel I won't get annoyed with.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2014, 01:07:58 pm »
+2

Alternate timeline, paradox-free time travel is the only time travel I won't get annoyed with.

I recommend Connie Willis's Fire Watch universe, in particular To Say Nothing of the Dog, as a "pre-fated" time travel that nonetheless maintains suspense.  And in the case of TSNotD, ridiculousness and humor.

On the subject of time travel in HP:

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2014, 01:21:20 pm »
+1

Also, the reason, from what I remember, why Harry didn't die the night he he was almost murdered as a baby was because his mother sacrificed her life her him. Through the power of love his life was saved. But with all the murders ever committed in the wizard world, how has no one ever killed someone who loved someone else? I feel this should happen a lot more frequently.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.