Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346877 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2014, 12:39:38 pm »

I prefer the Lord of the Rings movies to the books. I find Tolkien saps all suspense from his writing.
I tend to agree here.

The problem with the books is that Tolkien has a habit of scarcely mentioning characters and assuming you know who they are.
There are more minor characters than in Game of Thrones!

Neither of those compare to Erikson.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2014, 04:50:16 pm »

Dr Strangelove gets better the more times you see it. I find that a lot of the old black and whites do live up to their reputation. If you catch them in the right mood they are still fantastic. As previously mentioned, the Coen Brothers and Tarantino have made plenty of good films, and in a similar vein Planet Terror is great if you want grindhouse comedy.

For some non-US films you could try Pan's Labyrinth, City of God, Run Lola Run, The cook the thief his wife and her lover, Brazil, and Braindead.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2014, 06:34:13 pm »

I'm kind of a wannabe film buff. I really like movies, but I haven't seen enough to consider myself an expert.

[...]

Christopher Nolan is so right, I'll watch anything with his name on it.
This makes me sad. Sure he has had a few good movies, but I can't justify the ones that are not good simply because his name is on it. Dark Knight, without Ledger, is an awful movie. I don't think Bale was the right choice for Batman. Memento was good, and Inception was creative.

The only Shyamalan films I enjoyed were Unbreakable and Signs. I thought that The Sixth Sense was too predictable and everything after Signs was terrible.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2014, 06:48:05 pm »

I'm kind of a wannabe film buff. I really like movies, but I haven't seen enough to consider myself an expert.

[...]

This makes me sad. Sure he has had a few good movies, but I can't justify the ones that are not good simply because his name is on it. Dark Knight, without Ledger, is an awful movie. I don't think Bale was the right choice for Batman. Memento was good, and Inception was creative.

Well ok, I'm not watching it because it has his name on it, but because I trust him as a director. I thought the Dark Knight trilogy was incredible, the defining superhero movies (or at least movie franchise) of our time. Ledger was unbelievable in that role, but I wholly disagree that it would have been awful without him. Bale is probably not my favorite choice for Batman, but he's a capable actor and I think he did well with it.

Inception was indeed creative but also very well-made. I need to watch the Prestige again but I remember being very impressed. His only other major movie as director is Insomnia, I believe, which was a long time ago. I haven't seen it.

I'm excited for Interstellar!

The only Shyamalan films I enjoyed were Unbreakable and Signs. I thought that The Sixth Sense was too predictable and everything after Signs was terrible.

Unbreakable and Signs are terrific, but The Sixth Sense is amazing too! I am really bad at seeing things coming, though, even if it's predictable to others. So it works for me. I also loved The Village but I know that's a very contentious title. Since then, I liked Devil alright but it's generally all awful.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2014, 07:46:25 pm »

[...]

Well ok, I'm not watching it because it has his name on it, but because I trust him as a director. I thought the Dark Knight trilogy was incredible, the defining superhero movies (or at least movie franchise) of our time. Ledger was unbelievable in that role, but I wholly disagree that it would have been awful without him. Bale is probably not my favorite choice for Batman, but he's a capable actor and I think he did well with it.

Inception was indeed creative but also very well-made. I need to watch the Prestige again but I remember being very impressed. His only other major movie as director is Insomnia, I believe, which was a long time ago. I haven't seen it.

Inception literally made no sense. The test for the map maker lady is to make a maze, but then he lets her try over and over again? She can't do it man, try someone else. Secret totem to know if you're in a dream or not, but he shows her his secret totem. What? I agree though the action was cool, especially the hallway fight, but otherwise it wasn't worth the hype in my opinion.

And the 3rd batman movie was terrible. I can accept crazy things for superhero movies, but when they try to make it somewhat realistic, the whole blow up every bridge, lock every cop underground at once, know where the secret R&D section of Wayne enterprise is and missiles not blowing up the truck with the nuke at the end kind of make me wonder why they tried to make it seem realistic when in reality they just want to make the most ridiculous plot that isn't even that good in comic book standards.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2014, 09:25:43 pm »

First, I need to clarify there is a severe difference in a good movie, and an enjoyable movie. Things I like, may not be good.

[...]

Inception literally made no sense. The test for the map maker lady is to make a maze, but then he lets her try over and over again? She can't do it man, try someone else. Secret totem to know if you're in a dream or not, but he shows her his secret totem. What? I agree though the action was cool, especially the hallway fight, but otherwise it wasn't worth the hype in my opinion.

And the 3rd batman movie was terrible. I can accept crazy things for superhero movies, but when they try to make it somewhat realistic, the whole blow up every bridge, lock every cop underground at once, know where the secret R&D section of Wayne enterprise is and missiles not blowing up the truck with the nuke at the end kind of make me wonder why they tried to make it seem realistic when in reality they just want to make the most ridiculous plot that isn't even that good in comic book standards.
I can't tell if he's a Nolanite or a Nolanoid. Nolanoids tend to be a pain in the arse about Nolan movies...

Anyways. Batman Begins was good. It gave a new gritty feeling to the superhero movie. Dark Knight started off strong, but fizzled out so quickly, and I enjoy the movie. I should say, however, that nearly half of my viewings of TDK have ended after the hospital is destroyed. Rises, on the other hand, I did not feel drawn into at all. Bane was a weak villian, and the M Night twist was completely unnecessary and felt forced. Rises was the Cars 2 of Nolan's directing career.

Inception tried so hard to be clever that it just felt dull. I wanted to enjoy it. The concept was there and the cinematography was there, but the delivery and story were lacking in so many places. I am hoping Interstellar doesn't turn into Contact by Christopher Nolan.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2014, 10:04:50 pm »

[...]

I think it's unfair to say Inception made "literally no sense," I think it had an approximately equal number of plot holes as any other similarly-themed movie. With the totem, my understanding was that he couldn't let anyone else touch it, not see it...anyway, that's beside the point. I loved it and I don't think that's like, an unreasonable opinion. Oh and I could listen to the soundtrack all day.

First, I need to clarify there is a severe difference in a good movie, and an enjoyable movie. Things I like, may not be good.

Wholeheartedly agree here. Similarly, objectively well-made movies don't always thrill me.

I can't tell if he's a Nolanite or a Nolanoid. Nolanoids tend to be a pain in the arse about Nolan movies...

I, uh, didn't realize I was either, maybe I need to join another forum somewhere to gush.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2014, 10:46:41 pm »

I, uh, didn't realize I was either, maybe I need to join another forum somewhere to gush.
Try IMDb... The Nolanoids there are awful. Nolanites I can deal with, as they are just fans. Nolanoids are fanatics.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2014, 10:50:58 pm »

I think my movie standards are a good deal lower, in that I'm more willing to accept silly plot if the action is nice, and I'm getting the impression that some point demand both.

In terms of plot and questions raised, I put Dark Knight > Batman Begins > Rises.
In terms of action, Rises > Dark Knight > Batman Begins, but Rises wins by a very small margin.

I liked Inception a lot, but I'm a fan of all things meta. There are definitely plot holes, ones which I noticed during the movie, plus the entire movie depends on requiring a kick in both the dream level and the level above it - which is entirely different from how the kick is explained, and how it works in the opening, and it's never even touched on, but that closes up some of the major holes. I saw the map-making test as a test of how fast she could pick things up instead of a test of existing skill, since it's not like many people have experience with his line of work.

As for movies that haven't been mentioned yet, I liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Adaptation is...weird, it's the kind of movie where you have to pick up on the clues before realizing how good it is, and I needed help on that part. There's a German film called The Lives of Others which is also very good
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2014, 11:08:03 pm »

Inception is completely contained within a dream that he has while he is on a flight to visit his children. Now it has no plot holes.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2014, 12:01:50 am »

I don't know about him, but I'm a Nolanate.  I have one more oxygen atom per ion than a Nolanite.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2014, 12:08:57 am »

Unbreakable and Signs are terrific, but The Sixth Sense is amazing too! I am really bad at seeing things coming, though, even if it's predictable to others. So it works for me.

Is it even possible to watch the Sixth Sense without knowing the plot twist beforehand? I thought it was about as widespread a spoiler as Vader being Luke's father.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2014, 12:38:31 am »

Unbreakable and Signs are terrific, but The Sixth Sense is amazing too! I am really bad at seeing things coming, though, even if it's predictable to others. So it works for me.

Is it even possible to watch the Sixth Sense without knowing the plot twist beforehand? I thought it was about as widespread a spoiler as Vader being Luke's father.

I felt clever when I figured it out halfway through the movie. There was just one awkward scene where I was like, "Oh, I get it."

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2014, 12:44:44 am »

I was fortunate enough to see it before I knew, but it's everywhere, yeah. I also hate spoilers and love that movie so that's a very unfortunate situation. 

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2014, 02:58:52 am »

I figured it out by the second preview. Not that the story was bad, but the entire reveal of "hey I fooled you!" just seemed insulting to the audience.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2014, 04:00:07 am »
+2

Dude. Spoiler tags.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2014, 06:07:45 am »

Dude. Spoiler tags.

Hehe, I knew someone would say this.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2014, 11:03:19 am »

Dude. Spoiler tags.

Dumbledore dies

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2014, 12:03:03 pm »
+3

Dude. Spoiler tags.

Dumbledore dies

Snape is Keyser Soze.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2014, 12:54:00 pm »

Dude. Spoiler tags.

Dumbledore dies

Snape is Keyser Soze.

Bruce Willis was a sledge all along

I think it would be better if I specified the movie I am spoiling: The Sixth Kane.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:57:11 pm by pacovf »

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2014, 01:28:26 pm »

Dude. Spoiler tags.

Dumbledore dies
Would it be odd for me to say I've never seen a full HP movie?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2014, 01:31:26 pm »

Dude. Spoiler tags.

Dumbledore dies
Would it be odd for me to say I've never seen a full HP movie?
yes.  At least, it would be more odd than saying you have never seen a HP movie.  The specific movie doesn't make it odd, but I just don't get people who can only watch half a movie, or parts of a movie.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2014, 01:44:49 pm »

Well, I never attempted to watch any HP movies. I just happened to catch parts of various films through other people watching, or from the projection booth back when film was still widely used.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2014, 01:48:01 pm »

Well, I never attempted to watch any HP movies. I just happened to catch parts of various films through other people watching, or from the projection booth back when film was still widely used.

The books are better anyway.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2014, 03:46:33 pm »

The books are better anyway.
So much better.

Can we talk about movies in general here? I just went to see guardians of the galaxy, how is this well liked? What am I missing? I'd give it maybe 3/10 and even that's generous and mostly due to a couple of excellent one-liners.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 22 queries.