Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346813 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 09:39:19 pm »

Unsurprisingly, my favorite movie is Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.  I don't know anything about art, but Scott Pilgrim has a pretty unique visual style, so you might be interested in it if you haven't seen it already.

I watch SP vs. the world with my now ex. She loved it, I really didn't like it. I wasn't a fan of the comic book style, which is a similar reason I didn't like Kill Bill. I also don't really like movies that falsify how people act. I mean yeah, it's stylized and cartoonish, but none of the people in the movie say or do anything that is really how people act. I just had a hard time believing in the unbelievableness.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 11:05:27 pm »

My train of thought:  Scott Pilgrim vs. the World -> Kieran Culkin -> Igby Goes Down -> Everyone should watch Igby Goes Down

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 11:19:07 pm »

All films Kurosawa.  Dreams for the artsy, Yojimbo for the westerns, The Hidden Fortress for the Star Wars buffs.

Casablanca is the most overrated film of all time.  That and The Princess Bride.  They are the Titanics of Titanics.

Ghibli is great, too.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 11:35:31 pm »

It's been so long since I've seen the Princess Bride. I know the book is funny though.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 11:47:44 pm »

I think The Big Lebowski is probably the finest film I've seen. The Truman Show is a close second. The Princess Bride was a childhood favorite, and I still enjoy it. I agree that book is also fun.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 07:39:21 am »
+1

It's been so long since I've seen the Princess Bride. I know the book is funny though.

well, you should probably watch it again in that case.  It is just so good. 

But the same as jsh, I am way to casual of a movie watcher to enjoy the "arty/intellectual" movies.  I am a big fan of the whole Marvel series, and absolutely loved the Lego Movie.  Another fun movie that no one else has mentioned yet: Pitch Perfect.  The first time I saw it was with a bunch of friends and I had pretty low expectations.  But I surprised myself and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 02:15:38 pm »

All films Kurosawa.  Dreams for the artsy, Yojimbo for the westerns, The Hidden Fortress for the Star Wars buffs.

Casablanca is the most overrated film of all time.  That and The Princess Bride.  They are the Titanics of Titanics.

Ghibli is great, too.

The Princess Bride is overrated??!

You are dead to me.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 02:23:06 pm »

I read the book for The Princess Bride before the movie.

The book is so, so much better. I can see why people like it if they haven't read the book, but it really pales in comparison. That's probably true for most books turned movies though, with the exception of Jaws perhaps.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 02:26:05 pm »

I disagree, I think the movie is better overall, though I do respect the style the book is written in.  The actors added a lot to the characters for me.  Plus the author worked on the screenplay anyway, so it was adapted very well.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 02:30:11 pm »

The book is so, so much better. I can see why people like it if they haven't read the book, but it really pales in comparison. That's probably true for most books turned movies though, with the exception of Jaws perhaps.

I heard the book Contact was not any good, though I (as well as the person that said that book was poor) really enjoyed the movie.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 02:32:30 pm »
+2

I'm not saying the movie is bad, but I really liked the backstory of Inigo and Fezzik that got cut out of the film. It's talked about a bit, but all the details are gone. The framing device in the movie is less intrusive, I'm ambivalent between the two of those.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 02:47:51 pm »
+2

I heard the book Contact was not any good, though I (as well as the person that said that book was poor) really enjoyed the movie.

The book was much better than the movie, but the movie was still a damned good adaptation.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 02:59:11 pm »
+1

I prefer the book too, but The Princess Bride's movie adaptation was about as good as any movie adaptation could have been.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 03:06:55 pm »

I prefer the Lord of the Rings movies to the books. I find Tolkien saps all suspense from his writing.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2014, 03:07:26 pm »
+4

I prefer the Lord of the Rings movies to the books. I find Tolkien saps all suspense from his writing.

Eh, suspense is ....

overrated!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2014, 03:19:46 pm »
+1

Princess Bride is good, but it seems like everyone in my generation (young 20 somethings) thinks it's just the BEST EVAR and want to watch it all the time. Consequently, I've probably seen it more times than any other single movie besides The Emperor's New Groove (which is amazing).

I'm kind of a wannabe film buff. I really like movies, but I haven't seen enough to consider myself an expert.

I think Avatar was grossly overrated, but everything it did was done with style most appreciated in the experience of a cinema.

I think Christopher Nolan, M. Night Shamalanadingdong, and Michael Bay think THEY are why people see their movies, and shove it in your face that you are watching one of their movies every chance they get.

Tron: Legacy was also a pretty bad movie, but it was quite an audio/visual cinematic experience. I think I've only watched it once since, but I saw that one 2-3 times in theater.

Christopher Nolan is so right, I'll watch anything with his name on it. M. Night used to be right (his first 4 major films are some of my absolute favorites) but since his most recent flops he hides his name as much as possible. Michael Bay is probably right for most people, but wrong for many who lament the success of the Transformers franchise. Although, I am tempted to cough up the cash to see the newest installment just to see Optimus Prime wielding a sword while riding a robotic T-Rex. Because that's pretty much what all of film history has been leading towards, right?

My favorite films are:
The Princess Bride (the only movie that gets better every time I watch it somehow), Seven Samurai, The Good/The Bad/& The Ugly, Back to the Future, The Lego Movie, Mean Girls (I know this should be a 'guilty pleasure' but I do actually think it's fantastic), Gran Torino, ParaNorman, Pulp Fiction, and Toy Story.

Gran Torino, that movie is really great but I tend to forget about it. Totally agree about Mean Girls (written by Tina Fey!), Lego Movie and Toy Story too, so good. Although imo in the Toy Story franchise each movie was better than the last.

Ghibli is great, too.

Yes.

Some of my favorites, stream-of-consciousness style: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Rat Race; Shawshank Redemption; Gladiator; any of Shyamalan's first 4 movies, especially Signs; Fight Club; Les Miserables (musical); The King's Speech; 12 Years a Slave; Rear Window; Babette's Feast (look it up - really unusual but so beautiful); anything by Chris Nolan, especially Dark Knight, Inception, and Mememto (need to watch again); The Matrix; A Beautiful Mind; The Fault in Our Stars/A Walk to Remember (They're interchangeable, right?); A Knight's Tale (The better Princess Bride); Gravity (Largely for the physical stress it put you through in theaters); and Avatar: The Last Airbender (kidding...is anyone still reading?)

Also, I get really invested in movies so I usually hate leaving during a movie and can never fall asleep if one is on. But I couldn't get more than 35 minutes into Dr. Strangelove. I had heard all these great reviews but it just failed to deliver in a big way for the group I was watching with.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2014, 03:20:19 pm »

I prefer the book too, but The Princess Bride's movie adaptation was about as good as any movie adaptation could have been.

Much like 2001, it's really helpful when the person writing the screenplay and the person writing the book are the same person.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2014, 03:22:52 pm »

Princess Bride is good, but it seems like everyone in my generation (young 20 somethings) thinks it's just the BEST EVAR and want to watch it all the time.

As someone from the previous generation who feels the same way, and knows lots of people who feel the same way in this generation... I think perhaps that speaks to the staying power of the movie.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2014, 03:26:26 pm »
+1

Princess Bride is good, but it seems like everyone in my generation (young 20 somethings) thinks it's just the BEST EVAR and want to watch it all the time.

As someone from the previous generation who feels the same way, and knows lots of people who feel the same way in this generation... I think perhaps that speaks to the staying power of the movie.

It is good, yeah, and even timeless to a degree. But I don't think it's SO great. I'll watch it for a dozenth time, and I'll laugh, but let's tread some new ground. Maybe it gets brought up a lot because it's a sure crowd-pleaser.

Edit: and QUOTEABLE! This is probably the best thing about the movie. I haven't been to a wedding in the last ten years where someone hasn't said "Mawwiage...is what bwings us togevah...today..."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:30:55 pm by Dsell »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2014, 03:29:03 pm »

The reason why I prefer the movies is that Tolkien was going to write a sequel for a children's book and that's how he wrote the beginning, but then it got out of hand at some point and the result was suboptimal — it doesn't really hurt the story, but it hurts the experience. PJ, on the other hand, knew what he was going to direct, so the movies feel less separate. Silmarillion doesn't have this problem, it's exactly as massive as it is since the beginning (and neither does The Hobbit, but I prefer the movies anyway because I like the "bigger" approach).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:30:17 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2014, 03:45:44 pm »

Also, I get really invested in movies so I usually hate leaving during a movie and can never fall asleep if one is on. But I couldn't get more than 35 minutes into Dr. Strangelove. I had heard all these great reviews but it just failed to deliver in a big way for the group I was watching with.

Watch Drive. I'm interested to know if you find the pacing too slow. It's really well done though.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2014, 03:53:20 pm »

Watch Drive. I'm interested to know if you find the pacing too slow. It's really well done though.

I just IMDB'd this and I totally watched this last year! I didn't mind the pacing at all. This was not exactly what I was expecting, but I liked it a lot. Gosling's character was frustrating because he was so inscrutable, but that kinda fueled the intrigue. A very interesting watch. I was expecting straight-up action but got a much more introspective movie.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2014, 04:12:13 pm »

I just IMDB'd this and I totally watched this last year! I didn't mind the pacing at all. This was not exactly what I was expecting, but I liked it a lot. Gosling's character was frustrating because he was so inscrutable, but that kinda fueled the intrigue. A very interesting watch. I was expecting straight-up action but got a much more introspective movie.

In many scenes though you can see how he is thinking. When he is with his neighbour, those are the only times he smiles in the movie. The elevator scene also a cool change, where he rages at the hitman, but when he turns to the women, his expression becomes one of innocence, like there's these 2 sides to him.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2014, 03:10:12 am »

I tend to agree here.

The problem with the books is that Tolkien has a habit of scarcely mentioning characters and assuming you know who they are.
There are more minor characters than in Game of Thrones!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2014, 12:05:25 pm »

I watched Pulp Fiction again last night with my mother. She didn't remember any of it. My conclusion is that I still really like it and her's was it was kind of weird and didn't need to see it again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.