Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346005 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2014, 12:17:01 am »

Anyone see Big Hero 6?
Oct 17th and Nov 4th

Excellent both times. :)

(and of course, being a Marvel-based story, Stan Lee has his cameo.)

What would be your lower age limit for appropriateness?

I saw it, thought it was really good too. For appropriateness, it doesn't pull any punches, but it isn't anywhere close to Coraline in pushing the PG rating.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2014, 01:36:19 am »

Saw Birdman tonight.  Really, really good.

Saw this a couple weeks ago too WW. Great film. What did you think of Interstellar?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 09, 2014, 01:53:52 am »

Saw Birdman tonight.  Really, really good.

Saw this a couple weeks ago too WW. Great film. What did you think of Interstellar?

I just got back from it.  I thought it was great, intense the entire time. 

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2014, 10:13:31 am »

Anyone see Big Hero 6?
Oct 17th and Nov 4th

Excellent both times. :)

(and of course, being a Marvel-based story, Stan Lee has his cameo.)

What would be your lower age limit for appropriateness?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2245084/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1161
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2014, 11:15:16 am »

You forgot to use spoiler tags!
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 09, 2014, 02:45:15 pm »

I saw Intserstellar in IMAX Friday, and agree completely with Teproc about his analysis.  Coming in with no real expectations (probably more of an expectation that I wouldn't really like it), I was pleasantly surprised by the movie and really enjoyed it.  Obviously with IMAX made the visual experience amazing, but I would watch it again just regular.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #231 on: November 09, 2014, 03:33:57 pm »

I'm glad to hear people enjoy it. Seems like advertising gave us less to look forward to, instead of too much like Inception.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 09, 2014, 03:45:00 pm »

I'm glad to hear people enjoy it. Seems like advertising gave us less to look forward to, instead of too much like Inception.

I think the trailers did a great job about building interest without really giving anything away.  Going into the movie I had no idea how the plot would move along.  I knew the general premise, but was really left wondering the entire time I was watching.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 09, 2014, 04:59:31 pm »

I saw Intserstellar in IMAX Friday, and agree completely with Teproc about his analysis.  Coming in with no real expectations (probably more of an expectation that I wouldn't really like it), I was pleasantly surprised by the movie and really enjoyed it.  Obviously with IMAX made the visual experience amazing, but I would watch it again just regular.

Just watched it in a normal cinema, knowing only the most basic premise. Some very powerful stuff all the way to the last half an hour, which turned out to be less bad than it looked like it was going to be, so yay?

One character absolutely steals every scene s/he is in. TARS. I've you've seen the movie, you probably don't need to check the spoiler to know who I am talking about.

Also, can somebody explain what the fuck was Dr. Mann's plan? He had planned to kill whoever came to his rescue, as demonstrated by the fact that he must have rigged his robot before going into cryosleep. But he didn't want to go back to Earth, as his last dialogue shows. So if he just wants to ensure the continuation of the Human Race, why not just not send any message at all, and let the Lazarus mission go check Edmund's planet directly?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 05:02:36 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 09, 2014, 06:05:04 pm »
+1

Well that's the whole point of his speech to Cooper when they're fighting. If he does what you say, he's not rescued, he never sees another human face again, and he's not the one who saves humanity. The way he planned it, he would have overseen the colonization of Edmund's planet and would've been the hero. Plus, he gets to see people, which he indicated as being a pretty big motivator.

By the way, I hadn't seen any trailers but did people know Matt Damon was in this movie ? I sure didn't, so seeing him pop up was pretty great.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:06:33 pm by Teproc »
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 09, 2014, 06:08:08 pm »

On another note, I just saw Life of Pi on DVD. I know, I'm a little late to the party, but man that movie is great, even without the 3D (which I was a little worried about).

It occured to me at several moments that this is what a Miyazaki live action movie would look like.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 09, 2014, 06:20:05 pm »

Well that's the whole point of his speech to Cooper when they're fighting. If he does what you say, he's not rescued, he never sees another human face again, and he's not the one who saves humanity. The way he planned it, he would have overseen the colonization of Edmund's planet and would've been the hero. Plus, he gets to see people, which he indicated as being a pretty big motivator.

By the way, I hadn't seen any trailers but did people know Matt Damon was in this movie ? I sure didn't, so seeing him pop up was pretty great.

I didn't know Matt Damon was in the movie, and I was actually not 100% sure it was him, so every scene he was in was quite distressing.

If he just wanted to see another human face, planning to kill the rescue team doesn't strike me as particularly coherent... He could just have recognized he lied, it's not like they would have left him there.
I didn't gather either that he wanted to be a hero. His final words are that he doesn't care whether any of them live or die, just that the Human Race is saved. Forcing the final Ranger to go down onto his planet seems to go against that objective.
Wanting to be a hero would make sense, but I didn't get that impression at all. He seemed fine with being a coward, but an alive one. Trying to kill the rescue team seems to be an unnecessary risk for someone who at that point seems to be motivated only by his survival instinct.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 09, 2014, 06:31:47 pm »

The Matt Damon thing was actually hidden.  Nolan kept it secret until release.  See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 09, 2014, 06:34:28 pm »

I didn't know Matt Damon was in the movie, and I was actually not 100% sure it was him, so every scene he was in was quite distressing.

If he just wanted to see another human face, planning to kill the rescue team doesn't strike me as particularly coherent... He could just have recognized he lied, it's not like they would have left him there.
I didn't gather either that he wanted to be a hero. His final words are that he doesn't care whether any of them live or die, just that the Human Race is saved. Forcing the final Ranger to go down onto his planet seems to go against that objective.
Wanting to be a hero would make sense, but I didn't get that impression at all. He seemed fine with being a coward, but an alive one. Trying to kill the rescue team seems to be an unnecessary risk for someone who at that point seems to be motivated only by his survival instinct.

Well, he had already lied to get people to come to his planet, by sending out the beacon that his planet had promise.  I'm not exactly sure what his plan was once he got off and took control of the main ship, though.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 09, 2014, 08:47:24 pm »
+1

He does say something about never even considering that his planet wouldn't be the right one. That's where I get the idea that he wanted to be the one doing the actual colonization, as well as the fact that he lead the first expedition originally. I don't think that's necessarily contradictory with his survival instict.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2014, 09:14:01 pm »

He does say something about never even considering that his planet wouldn't be the right one. That's where I get the idea that he wanted to be the one doing the actual colonization, as well as the fact that he lead the first expedition originally. I don't think that's necessarily contradictory with his survival instict.

His plan wasn't to kill the crew. He didn't want to die alone, and as he stated, he thought his planet would be the one. He couldn't live with the fact that his wasn't and that he would die alone, so he sent a beacon saying his planet was good, and he probably figured that they could repopulate another planet as well. Cooper was planning on taking the shuttle back to Earth but insisted on seeing the "atmospheric" part of Mann's planet that could host terrestrial beings. Dr. Mann realizes that Cooper will likely go back home instead of going to Edmund's planet, so he tries to kill Cooper. He realizes he f'd up though, so he maroons Dr. Brand and the other guy, well, explodes.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 10, 2014, 05:14:23 am »

His plan wasn't to kill the crew. He didn't want to die alone, and as he stated, he thought his planet would be the one. He couldn't live with the fact that his wasn't and that he would die alone, so he sent a beacon saying his planet was good, and he probably figured that they could repopulate another planet as well. Cooper was planning on taking the shuttle back to Earth but insisted on seeing the "atmospheric" part of Mann's planet that could host terrestrial beings. Dr. Mann realizes that Cooper will likely go back home instead of going to Edmund's planet, so he tries to kill Cooper. He realizes he f'd up though, so he maroons Dr. Brand and the other guy, well, explodes.

The problem with that theory is that it assumes that Dr. Mann decides to kill the crew after they arrive, but that is false. He booby-trapped KIPP before he went to cryosleep.
I missed the part where he said that he had never considered that his planet wouldn't be the one. That makes a little bit more sense. It still doesn't really justify trying to kill the crew, but I guess it's good enough.

Still discussing Interstellar in those spoilers, in case anyone is wondering.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 10, 2014, 02:26:31 pm »
+1

More Interstellar:

Since 23 years outside the influence of Gargantua transpired while they were on the water planet, they spent about 3 hours (say, 3.4) on the water planet.  But the entire sequence once they got back on the ship and rode the huge wave seemed to have no time cuts, and only lasted a few minutes.  He asks how long until the engines drain and TARS (or whomever) tells him 45-50 minutes.  Then arguing and all of the sudden 5 minutes.  Am I misremembering there being no time cut?  I saw this brought up on another forum as well.

And, even if that full 50 minutes passed, that only makes up a third of the three hours.  Some time was spent getting down to the planet and back, but that must not have been that long, since they didn't plan to be gone decades.  I got the impression they only intended on spending 15 minutes total (~2ish years).  So riding the wave itself took time, but probably not an hour.  Presumably some more time passed from when the wave went down to the "45 minutes to drain engines" mark, but I don't recall evidence that that time elapsed.

Anyone else notice this?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 11, 2014, 05:56:33 pm »

Just went to see Interstellar. It's pretty amazing how little I liked it considering it had my favorite actor as the lead, my favorite director and composer and a very elite supporting cast.

I'm not a sci-fi guy by any stretch of imagination, so that might be a part of it. I wish they had a camera there to capture my facial impression when I realized what the last 30 minutes were going to be like, though.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2014, 09:53:55 am »
+2

I saw Big Hero 6. Fun little movie. It has heartbreak, comedy, and action. Pretty good stuff.

Shockingly, not a romance. Well, that's probably for the best, since the main character is a 14-year-old boy, but the rest of the team are coed college students, and there wasn't a single love blossoming. I actually found that refreshing, as it does get tiresome to see the obligatory romance. And there certainly were opportunities for it to happen.

But it was enjoyable. It also portrayed an interesting fusion of American and Japanese cultures. Cue 'Murica outrage in 3, 2, …eh.
A man has no signature

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #245 on: November 12, 2014, 10:28:15 am »

Welcome to San Fransokyo!

I did enjoy seeing some of the future tech that is currently in R&D show up in this movie.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 12, 2014, 11:05:26 pm »

I saw Big Hero 6. Fun little movie. It has heartbreak, comedy, and action. Pretty good stuff.

Shockingly, not a romance. Well, that's probably for the best, since the main character is a 14-year-old boy, but the rest of the team are coed college students, and there wasn't a single love blossoming. I actually found that refreshing, as it does get tiresome to see the obligatory romance. And there certainly were opportunities for it to happen.

But it was enjoyable. It also portrayed an interesting fusion of American and Japanese cultures. Cue 'Murica outrage in 3, 2, …eh.

They probably reached their quota with Baymax/everyone. Seriously, Baymax is too cute.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 19, 2014, 10:33:46 pm »

Did anyone ever see Snowpiercer?  I know it's old now, but I saw ads for it on iTunes and was intrigued.  I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if it's just Divergent on a Train.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #248 on: November 19, 2014, 10:49:10 pm »

I enjoyed it quite a bit more than Divergent. It has obvious political messages in it, but I quite liked it dispite that.

Nightcrawler was not what I expected. But it was quite good.

Interstellar was not stellar, but it was made well.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 25, 2014, 12:16:29 pm »

Did anyone ever see Snowpiercer?  I know it's old now, but I saw ads for it on iTunes and was intrigued.  I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if it's just Divergent on a Train.

Snowpiercer is a really fun movie. I was a little wary of it because the concept is so ludicrous.

But you know, if you accept the ridiculousness of the premise, it has a pretty powerful class story. Kind of reminds me of Brave New World in that regard.

You have to go in ready to appreciate the sociopolitical story and not the "sci-fi" story. Also avoid other things like what the hell are the rich doing to deserve to be rich? Then again, that can be part of the message. Many people are rich today that didn't do anything to deserve it. They were just born in the right conditions to be considered rich.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.