Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 349067 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3227
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1450 on: October 22, 2019, 04:03:39 pm »

That seems compatible. I'm saying people who have autism but are smart enough to figure out how people think anyway are going to be less likely to make these mistakes. If you don't figure it out, well then you of course can't write other people.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 19, 2020, 11:29:49 am »

Can we talk about Frozen II? I thought it was legit amazing.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 19, 2020, 11:48:27 pm »

Speaking of really good sequels, I just saw Creed II. Awesome.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: February 10, 2020, 02:28:39 pm »
+1

And the Oscar for most Themed Kingdom goes to...

So, watching last night, it occurred to me that it would be fun to design a Dominion kingdom in honor of the Oscars, with one pile corresponding to each of the Best Pictures nominees. Here's what I came up with (hopefully these make sense if you've seen the movies; I don't give further detail, in order to minimize spoilers):

Marriage Story: Advisor
Ford v. Ferrari: Chariot Race
Joker: Jester
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: Cultist
Parasite: Mountebank
Irishman: Rabble
1917: Messenger
Jojo Rabbit: Hideout
Little Women: Storyteller

And for the 10th pile and Landscape cards:
the Academy and SAG: Acting Troupe, Academy, Guildhall

Some Honorable Mentions:
Worker's Village, Guardian (Irishman)
Secret Passage (Parasite)
Tournament (Oscars)
Triumph (and the Winner is...)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 09:33:55 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: February 11, 2020, 02:00:04 pm »

I finally got to see One Cut of the Dead.

When the credits first rolled, I sat there thinking, “Well, yeah, it was an amazing feat of technical skill, but why on earth did people rate this movie so highly?” Then it was what followed the credits that I realized what a wonder this movie was—enough to prompt me to rewatch the earlier scenes that I had dismissed before. Nicely done.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: April 27, 2020, 03:34:05 pm »
+1

I watched Green Room finally. I had been interested in it when it came out since how often do you see Patrick Stewart play a neo-Nazi scumbag? It was a good movie, but the bland characterization did not help my face blindness at all. I couldn't tell the band members apart aside from the fact that one is a woman. I couldn't see much difference between the neo-Nazis except for god Stewart. As a result, it was a bit difficult for me to pick up on the nuances of the story. But it was a brutal story that worked well. I noticed that while the pit bull was a credible and brutal threat, its portrayal was sympathetic. I wonder if that was influenced by Stewart's love of pit bulls.

I also watched the Endless based on a Netflix ad. It was an interesting movie about UFO death cults, mysterious video tapes, and time distortion. I was unaware that it's a soft sequel to Resonance, though sequel is not the right term for it based on what I read. Even though I had not seen Resonance, I got the gist of the Endless. Resonance is not required viewing for the Endless, but there apparently are crossover moments between the two. Interestingly, while the Endless contains Easter eggs for Resonance, there are Easter eggs in Resonance as well, even though it was filmed 5 years earlier. I find this shared mythology interesting, and I'll have to check out Resonance now.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1456 on: April 27, 2020, 04:50:10 pm »

Green Room was fairly entertaining.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: August 20, 2020, 01:53:24 pm »

I'm a few decades late, but I watched Lawrence of Arabia recently. I think it every bit lived up to the hype. My brief review:

Loved it! Everyone talks about how great the cinematography is; but what I wasn't ready for was just how non-stop filled with amazing shots it was. Like a lot of movies with good cinematography have a handful of scenes that I notice as beautiful; this just seemed like constant shot after shot of amazing work. The music was so good; even if a little repetitive. It didn't even feel too long; like I can't think of anything I wish had been cut. The story itself was fine; more character-driven than event-driven, which I tend to not like as much. But I was never board. The dialog as a whole didn't stand out a lot; but there were a few really great lines throughout.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: December 09, 2020, 05:16:57 pm »

People need to talk more about movies around here. I just saw A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and really loved it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: December 09, 2020, 06:38:00 pm »

Actually [i'm thinking of ending things] is one of the greatest things I've ever seen, go watch it it's on Netflix.

I think the best way to choose movies may be by screen writer, rather than by actors or even by director. The movies I've seen that have been written by Charlie Kaufman are Being John Malkovich, Her (not actually directed by Kaufmann), Adaptation, and this one, and I found all of them phenomenal.

Unrelated, how do other people watch non-Netflix movies? Do you just buy them?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 05:29:17 pm by silverspawn »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1460 on: December 09, 2020, 08:07:00 pm »

The same way I watch Netflix movies. I just buy a ProtonVPN subscription.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: December 09, 2020, 10:35:29 pm »

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5259.0

2275 movies on DVD and counting.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: December 09, 2020, 10:38:30 pm »

I'm a huge Kaufman fan, but I haven’t seen Ending Things yet.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 01, 2021, 03:42:08 pm »

Because it's cool to randomly resume discussions months later.

How does having a VPN solve the problem? I have one too -- it lets me watch m ore stuff on Netflix, but not on not-Neflix.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1464 on: January 02, 2021, 07:57:09 am »

How does having a VPN solve the problem? I have one too -- it lets me watch m ore stuff on Netflix, but not on not-Neflix.

It lets me watch more stuff on Rutracker.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 03, 2021, 07:34:30 pm »

Watched Inception for the first time last night. Probably the best movie I've seen in a long time.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 03, 2021, 09:23:38 pm »
+1

Watched Inception for the first time last night. Probably the best movie I've seen in a long time.

Welcome to 2010!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: January 04, 2021, 07:59:40 am »

Wait, those are torrents, aren't they? I'm scared. Afaik, using torrents is the one illegal thing you can do on the internet that actually has pretty high chances of getting you caught.

I guess a VPN reduces that probability to 0? But if you live in Finland, you probably have nothing to fear anyway?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1468 on: January 04, 2021, 01:11:30 pm »
+1

Wait, those are torrents, aren't they? I'm scared. Afaik, using torrents is the one illegal thing you can do on the internet that actually has pretty high chances of getting you caught.

I guess a VPN reduces that probability to 0? But if you live in Finland, you probably have nothing to fear anyway?

Using torrents is legal! Downloading and seeding copyrighted works or illegal materials is not.

Your IP address is visible to everyone who connects to you, but connecting the dots from your IP address to your identity is something that requires the cooperation of your ISP, or your VPN provider if you use a VPN. In Finland, there is a law that can require ISPs to reveal your identity to the copyright owners if you've been caught seeding a torrent, but without a specific law like this, they can't just go and reveal your private information to random people who request it even if they happen to represent some company who owns a bunch of copyrights. There isn't a similar law for VPN providers and there isn't one in Switzerland either (where ProtonVPN is based) so it would be legally impossible for them to acquire that. ProtonVPN also doesn't keep any unnecessary data around, so even if they were required to hand it over, they wouldn't have anything to hand over, unless they have your payment info for automatic monthly payments. So it kind of depends on what laws your country has, what laws your VPN provider's country has, and how much you can trust what the VPN provider says about what data they keep, but in practice it probably should be impossible for the copyright owners to catch you torrenting with a VPN.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +534
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 14, 2021, 11:28:49 pm »
+1

Actually [i'm thinking of ending things] is one of the greatest things I've ever seen, go watch it it's on Netflix.

I think the best way to choose movies may be by screen writer, rather than by actors or even by director. The movies I've seen that have been written by Charlie Kaufman are Being John Malkovich, Her, Adaptation, and this one, and I found all of them phenomenal.

Kaufman did not write Her, although lots of people described the movie as Kaufman-esque. Movies by Kaufman that are absolutely worth watching you haven't mentioned are

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Synecdoche, New York

Both are phenomenal films. Roger Ebert called Synecdoche, New York his favorite film of the decade (it came out 2008), and although it did not perform well in the box office, critics did love it. It is definitely the richest and most difficult of his films, but it's absolutely worth it. Just don't try to understand what is happening on a first watch, you'll enjoy it more. It's a lot better on subsequent watches, at least for me, as I started to unpack more of it and resonate more and more with it.  trailer. The trailer can't really spoil this movie.

And Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is also amazing, a great gut-punch romance film. I recommend most people watching it before Synecdoche, New York. trailer.

He also wrote Anomalisa, which is a claymation movie, but I have not seen that yet.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:35:21 pm by anordinaryman »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: January 15, 2021, 12:10:12 am »

Funny, I also had it in my mind that “Her” was Kaufman. I guess because Spike Jonze has directed a couple Kaufman movies so I get their respective works mixed up.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: January 15, 2021, 02:32:35 pm »
+1

I tried to watch Synechdoche New York years ago and hated it so much I turned it off halfway. It seemed very full of itself in a pretentious way, and it came without enough plot substance or acting/directing talent to keep me interested. I suspect the reason some critics love it is because it's about a self-absorbed theater schmuck and they identify with that.

FWIW I liked most of Kaufman's other films. Being John Malkovich is probably my favorite.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: January 15, 2021, 05:28:43 pm »

Funny, I also had it in my mind that “Her” was Kaufman. I guess because Spike Jonze has directed a couple Kaufman movies so I get their respective works mixed up.

Yeah, that was the reason for me.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: January 25, 2021, 03:01:49 pm »

Finally bought a 4K player; over 2 years after I bought a 4K projector and 4K Receiver... so I'll finally get to use those for actual 4K movies!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 07, 2021, 01:45:15 pm »

Gotten around to watching Eternal Sunshine... . I think it was the worst Kaufman movie I've seen so far, which is to say, it was really really good.

Something I've realized -- all of his movies (or rather, the four I've seen) have a theme in common, and that's male loneliness. None of them tackles it in the obvious way, but it's there in all of them.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60  All

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 20 queries.