Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57]  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 126288 times)

silverspawn

• Governor
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +1835
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1400 on: January 02, 2019, 03:00:58 pm »

@Horror Movies: I watched The Woman in Black, The Ring, Paranormal Activity I, and The Shining. The first because it was on Netflix and I just clicked on a random thing, and 2-4 following recommendations for scary movies.

Paranormal Activity is definitely the scariest movie I've seen so far. Which is particularly impressive because it's incredibly low budget, just 15 000 according to wikipedia. I still think it should be possible to make something more frightening than that, though. It was fairly intense, particularly near the end, but... still not so much that I had to turn it off. And the ending kinda only works because the guy is being an idiot. He could just have some people over, or at least stay up all night. He knows without a doubt that there's something supernatural there at that point, and just does nothing. Which is a minus. But still, it's good.

The Ring and the Shining didn't manage to really scare me, but they were both fun to watch nonetheless. The Ring has some great imagery.

The Woman in black was the second scariest, but also the weakest one out of the four. It's scary in the least creative way possible (old abandoned house, noises from other rooms, etc), and it doesn't have anything else going on. Also, it's significantly less scary than PNA, which has literally 0.1% of the budget.

Still planning to see The Exorcist, but I'm having trouble finding a good way to do so.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (。 ω 。`)
  • Respect: +11723
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: January 02, 2019, 04:07:52 pm »
+1

Paranormal Activity is definitely the scariest movie I've seen so far.

Seriously? How?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The Twitch channel where I stream DominionThe YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's albums for free

silverspawn

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: January 02, 2019, 04:22:55 pm »

No idea how to answer that  :P

Clearly the degree to which something frightens you also varies from person to person, though certainly not as much as how much you like something.

I've somehow missed the Tunnel, I'll look for that one, too. Otherwise, I assume that you thought PNA was less scary than other things I've mentioned?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (。 ω 。`)
  • Respect: +11723
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: January 02, 2019, 06:22:22 pm »

I've somehow missed the Tunnel, I'll look for that one, too. Otherwise, I assume that you thought PNA was less scary than other things I've mentioned?

More like I don't even understand how Paranormal Activity is scary at all.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The Twitch channel where I stream DominionThe YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's albums for free

silverspawn

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: January 02, 2019, 06:40:43 pm »

Well, neither do I, really.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +295
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: January 11, 2019, 05:24:15 pm »

I saw Burning last night and really loved it. I think it's the kind of movie people should go into completely blind, so I guess the summary is: Korean with subtitles, awkward masturbation scenes, awkward main character, people being jerks, more exciting than it sounds if you go in for an awkward drama about a depressed guy, less exciting if you want Spider Man.

Anyway, I really loved it, and I think it improves on the short story, which you absolutely should not read first if you are interested in seeing the movie and haven't read it.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +772
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: January 16, 2019, 10:09:34 am »
+1

I saw Burning last night and really loved it. I think it's the kind of movie people should go into completely blind, so I guess the summary is: Korean with subtitles, awkward masturbation scenes, awkward main character, people being jerks, more exciting than it sounds if you go in for an awkward drama about a depressed guy, less exciting if you want Spider Man.

Anyway, I really loved it, and I think it improves on the short story, which you absolutely should not read first if you are interested in seeing the movie and haven't read it.

Not selling me on this one at all.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: January 16, 2019, 11:43:26 am »

Not selling me on this one at all.

It was great, but the kind of great where half the people I'd talk to would complain it was boring. Don't really know how to describe that kind of movie appealingly, but I have hated when I've pushed those kind of movies on people who are always going to hate them and then they don't want to listen to me about horror or other "exciting" genres of movie.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2160
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: January 16, 2019, 11:50:31 am »

Unbreakable is also really boring for certain crowds, but it was also a really good movie.

I'm intrigued by Burning. I like going into good movies blind, though even those movies tend to have a bit more information than this. But I can't ask for more information without spoiling something presumably.

The weird scenes mentioned are probably more like content warning. If awkward scenes do bother you, then maybe that movie won't bother you. But I've also seen Irreversible and Spanking the Monkey, so I can usually handle uncomfortable scenes. Maybe I won't enjoy it, but I won't avoid it.
A man has no signature

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: January 25, 2019, 06:53:26 pm »
+1

Saw Shoplifters last night, quite good.

Reminded me of After the Storm quite a bit, the 2-movies-ago-movie by the same director, moreso than his most recent one before this. Also reminded me of Leave no Trace from last? year, fiction movie basically about poor families and how the system can fail them.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8527
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: February 28, 2019, 10:47:16 am »

Back to the horror discussion; I finally saw Hereditary. I did actually find it scary, which is rare for horror movies. Perhaps disturbing more than scary is a better word. But it has a really good build; where there's just nothing scary for a while, then it gradually gets more and more intense. A lot of people seem to complain that they should have stuck to a more psychological and ambiguous angle; but if you want that, watch The Babadook instead. Hereditary was more in your face and scary; but less clever and subtle.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chappy7

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +457
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: February 28, 2019, 05:56:30 pm »

Speaking of Horror, I'm planning on watching the VVitch this weekend with my brother.  Is it any good? Looks like it got pretty good ratings, but I often don't trust those.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57]  All

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.