Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52]  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 77402 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6681
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1275 on: July 08, 2017, 06:58:42 pm »

Best movie I've seen this year (out of 47 movies that I saw for the first time this year): Prisoners. Yes, I often only get around to seeing things a few years later. But it was amazing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1355
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: July 10, 2017, 07:08:03 pm »

Baby Driver is pretty good. Not Edgar Wright's best movie, but it's fun, and well put together.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (。 ω 。`)
  • Respect: +8948
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: July 11, 2017, 09:07:34 pm »

Kizumonogatari is fucking amazing.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +731
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: July 12, 2017, 12:14:08 pm »

Well the wikipedia page on it sure is a big ole wtf.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (。 ω 。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: July 12, 2017, 01:38:31 pm »

Well the wikipedia page on it sure is a big ole wtf.

The Wikipedia page for Kizumonogatari does a really poor job at describing it because it just basically tells you the plot and the plot, at face value, is pretty much irrelevant. Basically it's an outstanding adaptation of an avant-garde novel centered around suicide symbolism, character interactions, word play, metahumor and fan service.

Actually the Wikipedia article is even slightly wrong in that Kizumonogatari doesn't exactly translate to "Wound Story" but rather, it's a portmanteau of kizumono (damaged goods) and monogatari (story).

ThetaSigma12

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +849
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: July 14, 2017, 11:32:30 am »

Just saw Spiderman Homecoming. Good stuff.
If you have a fan card you want to be created, just post about it here! I'd love to take a look at it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7428
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: July 17, 2017, 09:51:58 am »

Saw The Big Sick last night.  Highly recommend it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (。 ω 。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: July 17, 2017, 03:07:05 pm »

It's been a long ass time since I last saw the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I just rewatched it with my niece recently and it was a surprisingly disappointing experience to be honest. I remembered them being super awesome movies, but while they have many super awesome aspects to them, there's a lot of stuff that just sticks out as really awkward and embarrassing. The complete lack of moral ambiguity gets also a little irritating in the long run; Sauron is just basically pure evil and then there are the guys who are on Sauron's side, and then there's everyone else who can be varying degrees of stupid and/or corrupted by Sauron but other than that they're all perfectly good.

I actually think that The Hobbit movies, which I've seen recently due to the fact that they were released pretty recently, are significantly better and much easier to take seriously, speaking as someone who's not the biggest fan of high fantasy but doesn't hate it either.

silverspawn

• Cartographer
  • ♦ Twilight ♦
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: July 17, 2017, 03:16:19 pm »

This is such an Awaclus thing to say. There is A and there is B which is markedly worse but for some reason you come out in favor of B over A. If it was anyone else I'd suspect trying to provoke reactions (in your case I have no doubt it's genuine).

I've rewatched LotR fairly recently and thought they were great (though I do agree about them being morally simplistic). Or rather, I thought #1 and #3 were great and #2 pretty good. Hobbit movies are 100% soulless action, not worth watching.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (。 ω 。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: July 17, 2017, 03:50:29 pm »

Hobbit movies are 100% soulless action, not worth watching.

What do you mean? They're amazing. I guess the theatrical editions are a bit too rushed here and there, but I only have a couple of very minor complaints about the extended editions. They look great and feel great, the speculah was a ton of fun and the movies never disappointed in that regard.

silverspawn

• Cartographer
  • ♦ Twilight ♦
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: July 18, 2017, 05:07:47 am »

Tip of the iceberg: there is a bridge currently in the process of collapsing, and legolas jumps ON THE PIECES as they break away and makes it back to safety.

I think the movies have lost any claim to be taken seriously.

Teproc

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +341
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 18, 2017, 05:40:01 am »
+1

Tip of the iceberg: there is a bridge currently in the process of collapsing, and legolas jumps ON THE PIECES as they break away and makes it back to safety.

Haven't seen The Hobbit movies, but the LOTR movies do feature Legolas surfing on oliphants, so...
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (。 ω 。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: July 18, 2017, 07:33:29 am »

Legolas is clearly depicted as being able to pull off impossible things due to him being an elf (and not just any elf but himself specifically) throughout both trilogies and that's just another example of that. If you are fine with Gandalf catching up with his sword when he was falling during the balrog fight, there's no reason why you shouldn't be fine with that scene from The Hobbit as well since in both cases it's a character with magic powers doing physically implausible stuff.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1481
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 18, 2017, 10:45:10 am »
+1

I think if this is the kind of argument you want to make against a specific movie, you should just say "there is Legolas" and stop.  His existence just as ludicrous as jumping on broken pieces of a bridge.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year

Games (28): Mafia: 17, 21, 24, 31, 39, 43, 67, 72, 86 || Newbie: 7 || RMM: 6, 7, 10, 20, 22, 26, 32 || Blitz: 4-7, X, 17-19, 22 || BM: 14, 19

2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

Town: 45 Games, 22 Wins
Scum: 20 Games, 12 Wins
10x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, M51

silverspawn

• Cartographer
  • ♦ Twilight ♦
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: July 18, 2017, 11:13:29 am »

Haven't seen The Hobbit movies, but the LOTR movies do feature Legolas surfing on oliphants, so...

While that was stretching it, I think there is still about one order of magnitude difference in believability.

Oliphants are at least fairly big, this scene afaik took a bit of time and Legolas does have slightly superhuman agility.

Do you think the movies are similar in quality?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (。 ω 。`)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: July 18, 2017, 12:14:51 pm »

While that was stretching it, I think there is still about one order of magnitude difference in believability.

Oliphants are at least fairly big, this scene afaik took a bit of time and Legolas does have slightly superhuman agility.

Do you think the movies are similar in quality?

Legolas doesn't have "slightly superhuman agility", he has magic powers. He doesn't see the uruk-hai taking the hobbits to Isengard because his physical eyesight is that good, he does because magic.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52]  All

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 20 queries.