Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346013 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Movies: Any movie buffs?
« on: August 13, 2014, 08:10:44 pm »

I'm pretty interested in film. I'll be starting an animation degree in september, and recently have been watching some movies an really watching the directing, colour choices and composition. After I watched Drive (amazing movie), I watched Only God Forgives, which is Nicolas Winding Refn's movie made after Drive.

EDIT: Also, if anyone else has good recommendations for movies or wants to talk about a movie in depth (or less in depth), feel free to post about those movies. Just keep things in spoilers so that people who haven't seen it can watch before reading.

I was wondering, firstly, if there are any other people here who really enjoy movies (I know people do) and are interested in things like directing, cinematography and writing in films? And secondly if anyone else has seen Only God Forgives and what did they think of it? I really enjoyed it, but I know it got mixed reviews, and some people really hated it, or really liked it. It's definitely more of an artistic film, not meant as a blockbuster.

I'll put what I thought in spoilers as not to ruin anyone who is going to watch it. And don't read it if you haven't seen it. It's meaningless if you haven't seen the movie. If you are going to watch it, just know that there is gore and violence. Drive was just over the top gore, and not too much of it. OGF is really messed up. It's not easy stuff to handle, just so you're warned.

Without question, the directing, colour choices and pacing are all great. The movie is not meant to be fast paced, and I found many of the scenes suspenseful and extremely tense. The lack of dialogue is one thing that is really interesting. Drive also had little dialogue, but this was taken to another level with OGF. So much about the main character Julian is told without words through things he does, and the "visions" he has about himself. His presumably incestual relationship with his mother, his inability to form normal connections with other people, or to have a normal sexual relationship. These are shown by the way he acts, and the way he see's himself in his visions. This is one point where I thought the movie was weak. The "visions" certain characters have are not well distinguished from the reality in the movie making it a little difficult to tell the difference at first. I'll have to watch it again sometime, since now I'm aware of what was real or not. I'll come back to this when I do. Perhaps I'll have a little more to say.

Another really strong point of the film was the music. I think it's the same writer for the music as in Drive? I'm not sure I'll have to look it up. But both Drive and OGF have great scores. The interesting thing in OGF is the Thai karaoke singing. I had to look it up, since it appears multiple times in the movie. Apparently it's an almost religious experience in Thailand, and a big part of the culture. I think if I had known that while watching it would have made more of an impact, since it's the ex-cop (God) who is singing at the karaoke bar. I'll have to watch it again with this knowledge.

The movie is pretty heavy on symbolism, the main one being hands, which there are a lots of shots of. While watching it's really hard to tell what the meaning of the hands are. My analysis is this. I think they represent the motives of the characters, in a sense. Or their ambitions. Early in the movie Julian raises his hands in a fighting pose next to the martial arts statue, believing himself a fighter, someone of strength. When he fights the ex-cop he raises his hands to fight, while the cop does not, showing both of their intentions. Julian is ready to fight, the cop has no intention of hurting him. Only after thoroughly beating Julian does the cop raise his hands, showing that now he is angry, ready to fight Julian and his mother, who has witnessed the fight. We also get shots of the same statue, showing who really the statue is representing. At the end of the movie, when Julian finds his mother dead, he puts his hand inside her stomach, presumably her womb. He feels the need to undo what he has done, to be reborn again. At the end, the cop cuts off Julian's hands, which is fulfilling his rebirth. Julian accepted losing his hands, finally finding peace with himself. There's more to this I'm sure, as there are other scenes where hands seem to be on important.

Anyway, those are mostly first impressions. I watched the movie a couple days ago, so I had some time to think about it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:18:32 pm by KingZog3 »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:52:59 pm »

I tried watching Nicolas Winding Refn's Valhalla Rising a few years ago, but it was a bit too much for me to handle at that age. It seemed like a pretty powerful movie though, both aesthetically and thematically, maybe I should give his works another try.

A movie that has recently intrigued me a lot is M dot Strange's Heart String Marionette. It's... intriguing. I would like to say that it's my favorite movie, but I still don't understand it well enough to be sure. Definitely recommend it, though it should be noted that you might have to watch it at least twice before it starts making any sense.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1161
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 12:41:21 am »

My mom worked part time for 3 video stores from the late 80s to the early-mid 90s. I worked for Hollywood Video from 1999-2001. I worked for General Cinemas from 2001-2002. I worked for Blockbuster from 2002-2003. I worked for Loews (then AMC) from 2004-2007. I've worked for Atlas Cinemas from 2007-now. One might say I enjoy movies.

My entire college/university education is in civil engineering.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 01:14:18 am »

My mom worked part time for 3 video stores from the late 80s to the early-mid 90s. I worked for Hollywood Video from 1999-2001. I worked for General Cinemas from 2001-2002. I worked for Blockbuster from 2002-2003. I worked for Loews (then AMC) from 2004-2007. I've worked for Atlas Cinemas from 2007-now. One might say I enjoy movies.

My entire college/university education is in civil engineering.

Well then mr. movie man, got any good ones I should see?

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:01:49 am »
+1

Guardians of the Galaxy.

Honestly though, I enjoy movies enough to understand that a lot of what I like is not what movie snobs consider artistic. I also know that most of those artistic films, while great in structure and story, don't need a 30-60 foot wide screen to make their point.

I think Avatar was grossly overrated, but everything it did was done with style most appreciated in the experience of a cinema.

I think Christopher Nolan, M. Night Shamalanadingdong, and Michael Bay think THEY are why people see their movies, and shove it in your face that you are watching one of their movies every chance they get.

I immensely enjoy the recent Marvel Studios franchise.

I am a huge Disney fan. From the parks to the animation to the decision to bring Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm under the mouse ears.

I think the AFI lists are good starting points for quality content connoisseurs. I think the IMDB top 250 is a good starting point for those wanting a taste of American Blockbusters.

So what do I suggest you see? It depends on what you like. If you like Guy Ritchie, watch Snatch. If you like Kubrick, watch Dr Strangelove. If you like Spielburg, watch Raiders of the Lost Ark. If you like James Cameron, watch Abyss.

Give me a clue and I can help find something you enjoy. And if you enjoy anything, watch The Room.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 04:14:41 am »

I enjoy a wide variety of movies.

From the ancient IMDB top dogs like Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and 12 Angry Men to 00's action pulp like Transformers.
I even watched 7 Samurai on DVD which has a fifteen minute break burned into the movie. Out of respect I decided to take that break and grab some popcorn. It's over 3 hours long, so that break was much appreciated.

I don't watch that many movies lately, but I tend to watch the superhero ones, because if you want a guaranteed box office hit, just make Batman 12 or Superman 7. I'm still waiting for Aquaman with Vincent Chase as the lead.

I'm not particularly snobbish about the movies I watch and like. I like James Bond and Disney movies (especially the old ones), sometimes a romantic comedy with the Mrs or a good documentary.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 10:23:37 am »

Guardians of the Galaxy.

Honestly though, I enjoy movies enough to understand that a lot of what I like is not what movie snobs consider artistic. I also know that most of those artistic films, while great in structure and story, don't need a 30-60 foot wide screen to make their point.

I think Avatar was grossly overrated, but everything it did was done with style most appreciated in the experience of a cinema.

I think Christopher Nolan, M. Night Shamalanadingdong, and Michael Bay think THEY are why people see their movies, and shove it in your face that you are watching one of their movies every chance they get.

I immensely enjoy the recent Marvel Studios franchise.

I am a huge Disney fan. From the parks to the animation to the decision to bring Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm under the mouse ears.

I think the AFI lists are good starting points for quality content connoisseurs. I think the IMDB top 250 is a good starting point for those wanting a taste of American Blockbusters.

So what do I suggest you see? It depends on what you like. If you like Guy Ritchie, watch Snatch. If you like Kubrick, watch Dr Strangelove. If you like Spielburg, watch Raiders of the Lost Ark. If you like James Cameron, watch Abyss.

Give me a clue and I can help find something you enjoy. And if you enjoy anything, watch The Room.

I do enjoy a lot of movies too. The marvel superhero movies are really fun to watch. Snatch is one of my favourite movies, as is Lock, Stock, and Two Smocking Barrels. I enjoy good writing, probably above other things, but really I want to watch pretty much anything that people think is good. I've seen some Kubrick (Clockwork Orange and Space Odyssey). Seen a lot of Tarantino. I mean, anything really, just I have no ideas of what to watch on my own. I'm not snobbish either about movies, I enjoy thinking about them though, and Marvel movies, while really entertaining (could watch wolverine beat up everyone 5 times over), are't really thought provoking.

I enjoy a wide variety of movies.

From the ancient IMDB top dogs like Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and 12 Angry Men to 00's action pulp like Transformers.
I even watched 7 Samurai on DVD which has a fifteen minute break burned into the movie. Out of respect I decided to take that break and grab some popcorn. It's over 3 hours long, so that break was much appreciated.

I don't watch that many movies lately, but I tend to watch the superhero ones, because if you want a guaranteed box office hit, just make Batman 12 or Superman 7. I'm still waiting for Aquaman with Vincent Chase as the lead.

I'm not particularly snobbish about the movies I watch and like. I like James Bond and Disney movies (especially the old ones), sometimes a romantic comedy with the Mrs or a good documentary.

12 Angry men is good. I read the play too. And the revamped Aquaman is really cool, I agree he needs a movie :P.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 10:31:07 am »

Mulholland Drive!

And everything Lynch.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 10:42:33 am »

Nine of my film recommendations, in a handy Alignment Chart for reference:

Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 10:45:56 am »

12 angry men, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, uh don't know it, nope, no, don't recognise it, can't recognise it. Title's please?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 11:06:57 am »
+1

Is Chaotic Evil Hard Candy?

Nuetral Good is Shawshank Redemption,
Chaotic Good is Les Miserables
Lawful Evil is The Professional (so awesome)

True Neutral looks like Natalie Portman.. but not sure which one
Is Neutral Evil Johnny Dangerously?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 11:11:22 am »

The Natalie Portman one is Beautiful Girls (I looked it up).  Still not sure on the other Neutrals.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 12:16:19 pm »

Neutral Evil is Bugsy Malone.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 12:19:41 pm »

I don't know the movie, but the quote is a pretty crappy Lawful Neutral. It's way more Neutral Good.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:29:24 pm by LastFootnote »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 01:26:39 pm »
+2

I recommend buffing your movies with Sunfury Protector.  Everyone will go see them after that.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 01:38:03 pm »

I'm not a buff.  I get bored of most arty/intellectual movies too easily, have to be really committed to get through them.

Am also a big fan of Disney, like many here.  They get a bad rap, especially by people who are offended by stereotypes and can't look past them, which makes me feel bad since I have so many great memories associated with those movies.

I am not a fan of superhero movies, and never was from the beginning of the trend.  Some of them have been good (guardians of the Galaxy was great) but I'm never excited to go see them anymore.  I feel like action scenes have lost 100% of their appeal to me over the years.

My favorite films are:
The Princess Bride (the only movie that gets better every time I watch it somehow), Seven Samurai, The Good/The Bad/& The Ugly, Back to the Future, The Lego Movie, Mean Girls (I know this should be a 'guilty pleasure' but I do actually think it's fantastic), Gran Torino, ParaNorman, Pulp Fiction, and Toy Story.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6119
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 01:44:51 pm »
+3

I recommend buffing your movies with Sunfury Protector.  Everyone will go see them after that.

Most movie theaters I go to have a strict policy of silence, so I'm not sure how effective Sunfury Protector will be.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 01:47:59 pm »

I'm not a movie buff, but I did just go see Boyhood. It was good.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 01:55:30 pm »

I feel like action scenes have lost 100% of their appeal to me over the years.

Most hollywood action I find boring too. Just seeing a big explosion isn't satisfying, which is why the expendables movies are terrible and not even "entertaining terrible".

I'm not super into crazy arty movies either. I've seen Salvador Dali's movie, which is mostly random sequences of images, but it didn't do anything for me. But some movies really are made in a way that's different than major movies. The pacing, the dialogue, the characters and/or the directing and composition are unique. Tarantino often makes his movies with shots that you don't normally see. Inglorious Basterds had a lot of prolonged shots, which is unusual to see anymore as most shots last about 1-5 second maybe. Music is also a big thing for me, and I can't stand movies that just rehash the usual suspects of music styles. It's one of the reasons I like Guy Ritchie's movies a lot, besides Sherlock Holmes. His music choice is fantastic, and often based on the characters. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly also has a similar approach, with a melody based on each character.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 02:41:21 pm »

Having a musical theme for each character is something a billion TV shows and movies do though, don't they ? NOt saying it's bad, but it's hardly unusual.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 02:47:10 pm »

Having a musical theme for each character is something a billion TV shows and movies do though, don't they ? NOt saying it's bad, but it's hardly unusual.

Best use of this ever is Twin Peaks.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 06:55:36 pm »

Twelve Angry Men, Shawshank Redemption, Les Miserables
Imagine Me And You, Beautiful Girls, Rent
Leon, Bugsy Malone, Hard Candy
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 07:42:28 pm »

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 08:08:17 pm »

Unsurprisingly, my favorite movie is Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.  I don't know anything about art, but Scott Pilgrim has a pretty unique visual style, so you might be interested in it if you haven't seen it already.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 08:13:44 pm »

I couldn't get into it. I felt the pacing was terrible. As for the characters, apparently you needed to already know the characters before seeing the movie. I'm pretty sure that pink haired girl was, well easy. With that in mind, I couldn't see her ex's as evil but rather as unfortunate.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.