Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thief and variants  (Read 4693 times)

Vislor

• Bishop
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Thief and variants
« on: July 30, 2014, 03:36:08 am »

Why are my friends saying that when you play thief you gain a copy of the treasure trashed and not the trashed card itself? Apparently they've consulted online faqs for this but I can't see that it says that on the Wiki page.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
Re: Thief and variants
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 03:55:48 am »
+1

You can't find it on the wiki because they're wrong. You gain the trashed treasure from the trash (exactly as the card says).
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Vislor

• Bishop
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 04:35:45 am »

Aye that's what I thought, thanks. Don't know where they got it from!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 05:07:30 am »
+3

Fun fact: the Finnish card is mistranslated so that it gains copies of the trashed cards. Probably doesn't have anything to do with the reason why your friends think that way, though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SK

• Baron
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:15:17 pm »
+3

Fun fact: the Finnish card is mistranslated so that it gains copies of the trashed cards. Probably doesn't have anything to do with the reason why your friends think that way, though.
unless...Vislor's friends are Finnish...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 12:09:45 am »
+1

Another fun fact, this and Noble Brigand break the normal Dominion rules of gaining. Every card except these 2 specify a location where you are gaining from, unless you are gaining from the Supply.. spoils, Madman, Mercenary, Prizes; all specify to gain them "from the ___ pile." So a literal reading of these 2 cards should mean that you gain the card from the supply, because no other "from" is specified. Yet, the card you are instructed to gain is not in the supply, so you should fail to gain it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 12:27:50 am »
+3

Another fun fact, this and Noble Brigand break the normal Dominion rules of gaining. Every card except these 2 specify a location where you are gaining from, unless you are gaining from the Supply.. spoils, Madman, Mercenary, Prizes; all specify to gain them "from the ___ pile." So a literal reading of these 2 cards should mean that you gain the card from the supply, because no other "from" is specified. Yet, the card you are instructed to gain is not in the supply, so you should fail to gain it.

Thief/NB don't tell you to gain "a Silver" or "a copy of the trashed card", they say you gain the trashed cards themselves. There's no need to tell you where to gain them from, because the card you're instructed to gain is in exactly one place: the trash. It's a bit weird to say that this somehow breaks the rules of normal gaining: you're just being told a specific card to gain; how else could it be done? "Gain the card you trashed, which is in the trash"? What's the point?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 12:55:39 am »

Until there is a Fortress-Treasure...
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Julle

• Bishop
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 07:44:43 am »
+1

The finnish thief also understands that the coppers are bad, so trashing is conditional   ;)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.