Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I will try to post a game here every day 2  (Read 2594 times)

SK

• Baron
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
I will try to post a game here every day 2
« on: July 30, 2014, 03:26:33 am »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140729/log.50fa840ae4b0f82020d81dfd.1406701676830.txt
Supply cards: Poor House, University, Shanty Town, Tunnel, Coppersmith, Fortress, Cache, Catacombs, Contraband, Outpost

I feel like my play was atrocious. Silver was apparently a mistake. I thought that because there was no +buy that just flat out cash would suffice for the meat of my deck. Coppersmith turned out to be the correct play here, probably cause it's just faster, correct? My potion missed the reshuffle, but other than that, where did I go wrong?

Simple engine, right? Well, I asked for advice and Lespeutere was super nice and polite. Gave me excellent critique too. Thx so much for a great game, L!!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:13:54 am by SK »

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Game where I played like a n00b
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 06:03:14 am »
+1

I don't think you played like a n00b... your potion missed the first shuffle so you were probably doomed from the get-go.

I have noticed this problem with having treasure as a payload for a university deck before - for university, which
1) is super-slow and
2) takes up a card spot in hand, to work,

the deck needs to have a high frequency of draw cards, and silver just breaks this (the potion is already really hurting things).

to me the key card for deciding to go the engine strategy on this board, weirdly enough, is outpost. without outpost i think this board is too weak for university -- catacombs is great, but it's probably better just to buy it and play big money, as the time investment for gaining them via universities is too great and the hands where you draw university without catacombs are awful in the ltae game.

although Lespeutere is getting his 4 provinces really fast, so perhaps that's wrong too.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:39:23 am »
+2

As an opening with treasure (Potion), Shanty Town is a $3 cost lab and almost guarantees that Potion does not miss the reshuffle.  Opening Silver is a mistake.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 10:44:59 am »

As an opening with treasure (Potion), Shanty Town is a $3 cost lab and almost guarantees that Potion does not miss the reshuffle.  Opening Silver is a mistake.

oh good catch!

SK

• Baron
    • View Profile
Re: I will try to post a game here every day 2
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 01:18:48 am »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140730/log.513aa496e4b024827a5337ce.1406783272928.txt

Kingdom: Vagrant, Workshop, Monument, Catacombs, Graverobber, Highway, Hunting Party, Rebuild, Saboteur, Vault (Shelters were used)

Even though there were shelters, I figured that rebuild with the support of Graverobber would be super powerful. I went for it with fury. Would Hunting Parties hurt this deck? I figured that it would likely trap a duchy and an estate and it would take too long to get off the ground but now that I look back on it they could have been helpful. Vault also would have been nice.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:33:53 am »

What about Highway and Workshop?

Granted, there are no +Actions, but it's at least interesting to try and combine Hunting Party, Highway and Workshop to get Duchies and Rebuilds. The HP is not that bad in the sense that once you have a Duchy in hand, it will discard others (unless it's the top card of your deck).

Still, Highway is a 5-cost card, so it has fierce competition from Rebuild.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

SK

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 05:34:05 am »

Isn't that too slow against rebuild/Graverobber? Especially w/o villages? I dunno, maybe you're right. I'll have to test that irl.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 05:51:59 am »
+1

You shouldn't waste time buying Estates. Just buy the Duchies you need, and Rebuild them into Provinces.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:53:11 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 05:52:09 am »
+3

rebuild/graverobber is the way to go. forget vault, hunting party or highway. every 5$ spend on one of those should be a duchy, a rebuild or a graverobber instead.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 07:15:34 am »

Isn't that too slow against rebuild/Graverobber? Especially w/o villages? I dunno, maybe you're right. I'll have to test that irl.
I think it is, but oh well, they look like fun anyway.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.