Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Roots and Renewal  (Read 91907 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Roots and Renewal (fan card set)
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2015, 07:47:31 pm »

Okay, I think I get what you mean but still Robber Knight felt too strong then, especially after the Ruins ran out. But I just tested the latest version shown above and that worked pretty well. For now, I will stick with it.

I think you should give the old version another shot. If you had a super-strong card that was balanced by gaining Curses on play, you wouldn't determine its strength by playing it only once on a Sea Hag board. Actually, with Curses such a card would normally be either too good or too bad, depending on whether you balance it for boards with or boards without other cursers. For Ruins, it's different: As there are only two Attack-Looters, boards where Robber Knight meets one of them are edge cases, and shouldn't be considered too relevant for balancing it.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2015, 03:57:38 pm »
+1

Okay, I think I get what you mean but still Robber Knight felt too strong then, especially after the Ruins ran out. But I just tested the latest version shown above and that worked pretty well. For now, I will stick with it.

I think you should give the old version another shot. If you had a super-strong card that was balanced by gaining Curses on play, you wouldn't determine its strength by playing it only once on a Sea Hag board. Actually, with Curses such a card would normally be either too good or too bad, depending on whether you balance it for boards with or boards without other cursers. For Ruins, it's different: As there are only two Attack-Looters, boards where Robber Knight meets one of them are edge cases, and shouldn't be considered too relevant for balancing it.

I will give it another shot. I'll just let you know that I like the latest version more and a friend, whom I playtested with, also liked it (although he only knew that one version).

Besides, I have other cards waiting for testing as well. E.g. I have reworked Demagogue. The old version (left) was either perceived as too strong as a curser or too weak because it might occasionally help your opponent. Either way, it's swingy and unreliable, and I have plenty of draw in my set anyway. New Demagogue (right) is simple and not that strong. How many curses the opponent gets depends on their knowledge of their own deck, but it can only curse every other time, so I think it can be non-terminal.

Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2015, 04:17:53 pm »
+1

I would like to name American Express.

Although wouldnt mind discarding it, useless credit card, people should give up and move to Visa/Mastercard
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2015, 04:22:33 pm »

I would like to name American Express.

Although wouldnt mind discarding it, useless credit card, people should give up and move to Visa/Mastercard

Okay, I have to +1 this, although it's not helpful at all :P
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2015, 04:26:36 pm »

I really like the concept of this new Demagogue. I think I would prefer it as a terminal Silver rather than a cantrip, though, so you don't get swamped with Curses quite so fast when playing with three or more mean-spirited players.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2015, 04:29:39 pm »
+1

Okay, I have to +1 this, although it's not helpful at all :P

Every Ozle post ever.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2015, 04:29:48 pm »

I really like the concept of this new Demagogue. I think I would prefer it as a terminal Silver rather than a cantrip, though, so you don't get swamped with Curses quite so fast when playing with three or more mean-spirited players.
Ah, I tend to initially forget there are multiplayer games, too :D I need to update my list with the vanilla bonusses of all my cards so I can see quickly of which kind the set can stand more.
Check out my fan cards!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2015, 04:59:40 pm »

I like the new Demagogue. The idea to have an attack that you can fend off by knowing your deck is intriguing.

Is there a specific reason why it doesn't always discard the card besides blocking every other attack? I think that if you only discard it when you name it, you're inclined to name bad cards - especially once the Curses run out, where the card becomes actually helpful to your opponents. So i'd argue that balancing the card a different way would be better.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2015, 08:44:37 pm »

I like the new Demagogue. The idea to have an attack that you can fend off by knowing your deck is intriguing.

Is there a specific reason why it doesn't always discard the card besides blocking every other attack? I think that if you only discard it when you name it, you're inclined to name bad cards - especially once the Curses run out, where the card becomes actually helpful to your opponents. So i'd argue that balancing the card a different way would be better.

The reason is that, if the attack is non-terminal, the other players only gain a curse every other time because then they know the top card of their deck (because they've revealed it before). But LFN is right - it's probably better to make Demagogue terminal, and +$2 seems like a suitable vanilla bonus for it. In that case, it might as well always discard the top card of other players' decks. That's less text which is good.

The only other card currently in my set with plain +$2 on top is Blackmail, also a junking (or discard) attack costing $4 so there should only be one of them in that form. I have thought long about it and I am now inclined to cut Blackmail as-is from the set. It's a solid card, both economically and as an attack, and easy enough to resolve. But it's never been super exciting and now the new Demagogue looks like a much more interesting replacement, with +$2 instead of +1 Card, +1 Action, anyway.
Check out my fan cards!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2015, 03:34:41 pm »
+3

I played a game with 3 players and the following cards:

Secret Chamber, Great Hall, Sage, Market Square, Robber Knight (+2 Actions, gain a Gold and a Ruins; cost $4), Demagogue (+$2, always discard), Knights, Bastion, Farmland, Altar

The board was mainly meant to test Robber Knight again, the version that unconditionally gains Gold and Ruins. Hence the board lacked ways of deck thinning, except RK's overpay function, and other Looters. I set the 3 players up to pursue different strategies:

Player A bought a lot of Robber Knights (but opened SC/Dame Sylvia) and played them excessively. They only overpaid once for $4. Although they had the largest deck and 7 Curses (and tons of Ruins), they were the only player with 2 Provinces and won with 21 VP. Also, they had 8 Golds in their deck in the end.
Player B opened RK/Sage and bought some more RKs but also Demagogues. With $5 they did the largest overpay, had 6 Golds in the end but only 11 VP. I don't really know why.
Player C was only allowed to buy Robber Knights to overpay but not to play them (except once when they needed the +2 Actions). Consequently, they trashed the RKs to Farmland (or attacking Knights). They had Dame Natalie but only one Gold. Final score: 16 VP. I don't think I played their deck horribly, but with no deck thinning around, player A's deck was just faster.

The game ended on piles, as expected. First, Knights ran out, then Robber Knights, then Curses. At a certain point, player A started to prevail (which was also due to shuffle luck). They shrugged off the Ruins as well as the Curses. Gold is a really good card, and player A was able to play 2 RKs in one turn at least twice. Therefore, non-terminal Gold gaining should be severely penalised and a Ruins just isn't gonna cut it.
I want to compare RK to LastFootnote's Profiteer. Profiteer puts the Gold on top of your deck, hence the penalty is stronger. I consider giving your opponents a free Conscripts as harsher because you cannot control what they do with it and it might backfire unto you, especially with other Attacks on the board. A Ruins is just some junk (and not even the worst kind) and there are plenty of trashers (more than attacks) in the Dominion universe to deal with it.
I don't want RK to be non-terminal at the same time as it gains a Gold. Either one or the other. Also, I came up with another village idea I want to share with the forum soon. So I don't need RK to give +2 Actions any more. I think, it could just be "Gain a Gold and a Ruins" at the cost of $3+.

PS: Secret Chamber is the perfect defence against Demagogue. I like it a lot when a normally bad card gets to really shine in specific combos.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:47:37 pm by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2015, 08:23:34 am »
+3

Hey guys, let's brush the dust off this thread and bring it back to life, shall we? I was on vacation for a few weeks and then had no internet at home for another two weeks but I kept developing new concepts, discarding old ones and play-testing like crazy. I took out the following cards:

Blackmail: It's similar to Ambassador, not too similar in my opinion, but with the new terminal-Silver Demagogue, I found a more interesting junking attack for $4.
Market Town: The old version looks crammed and the reaction is similar too Horse Traders. I tried another reaction with less text but it turned out to cause a loophole with Ironworks (which I should have seen coming). I want to bring MT back but I need a new idea first.
Mandate and Courier: The original idea was to have a crossover between Throne Room and Band of Misfits, which was problematic in many ways and the resulting cards I tested turned out to be fiddly, clunky and nigh impossible to balance. I have other, simpler ideas for TR variants which I will present soon.
Siege: Adventures showed how duration-attacks should be made to be reasonable and interesting. Siege is two or three concepts glued together that make the card unnecessarily complicated and clunky. I dropped the case completely.

Before I show any new cards, let's have a look at some tweaking I made recently:

Robber Knight, $3+, Action
+2 Actions. Gain a Ruins. If you do, gain a Gold.[/hr]When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, look through your discard pile and trash a card from it.
This version works out great. From my experience so far I can deduce this: (1) Robber Knight accelerates games significantly, which means that making gaining the Gold conditional on gaining the Ruins hardly matters, because when the Ruins pile is empty, the game is close to ending anyway. And (2), Robber Knight is a very good card for $3. My friends like it but suggested it costs $4. I am reluctant to raise its cost because I like having the option of overpaying on a 3-4 opening to trash a card before the first shuffle.
In the game we played (3 players) I bought 4 or 5 RKs and played them a lot and also overpaid a lot to complement the trashing from Count. I still only won by a Duchy. We had 4 Provinces each, although one friend only had two RKs so it could not have been the only decisive card (which leads to the assumption it's balanced in power). I probably just won because I played a little better.

Demagogue, $4, Action/ Attack
+$2. Each other player names a card and discards the top card of their deck. If it’s not the named card, they gain a Curse.
With LFN's suggestion, this should be a fun and not too harsh attack.. My friends liked it and wanted to play with it, but we didn't get to it, yet. I think it's cool like this and look forward to testing it.

Valorize, $7, Action
Put a Valorize token on a Kingdom card pile. Trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.[/hr]A card’s cost is permanently increased by $1 per Valorize token on its Supply pile.
Valorize (formerly Capitalize) is now an Expand variant that allows you to build stacks on Kingdom cards but remains a Remodel for basic Supply cards. Since it's so expensive and slow but increases in power over time, it probably justifies a game with Colonies.

That's it for now. I would appreciate your feedback. New cards will follow soon.
Check out my fan cards!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2015, 07:40:07 am »
+3

Asper and I have played a lot of games recently using cards from his, my, and other fan expansions. These are the we had experiences with my cards:

Realm Tax is easily a crucial card on many boards as it's often not that hard to reach the point where it's worth $3. Asper has not been the first to suggest I raise its basic cost to $1 or $2 but I am rather inclined to raise the action threshold to $4 or even $5.

Deposit worked out very nicely, in my opinion at least. It's very slow but the payload is so explosive and rewarding that you should almost never use it to thin down your deck. It can be the central point of your strategy (megaturn) or just a temporary measure to reach crucial price points.

Demagogue seems balanced. It depends on your opponent's deck-tracking skills and on luck which should be reasonable for a terminal-Silver curser costing $4.

Reconvert was fine, if I remember correctly. Asper, do you recall any interesting details about Reconvert in our game?

Beachcomb is sometimes crazy strong but when it whiffs (when there's no discard pile) it's terrible (relative to its high cost). We're not sure if it needs a nerf. Sometimes the fact that it's a cantrip is a nerf per se because it might trigger a reshuffle. This makes the card very swingy. We did not use its reaction, and it rarely gets used in practise. Still, it might be pretty powerful when you can use it.

Benefit's sheer gaining power is obviously board dependent and in our game it was very useful but its action part seems balanced. The penalty matters in the endgame in head-to-head VP races and threatens unforeseeable three-pile-endings in multiplayer games. The reaction part wasn't used and Asper raised concerns over it in curser games. Benefit may be reason enough to forego most cursers. But then again, we are far away from being top players so we might underestimate the importance of cursing. Only thing I know is you always buy Witch ;)

Reparations has been dominating every board so far, and I feel like this is not so much because of its insane endgame power but rather due to how easy it makes reaching this point (two empty piles). I want to limit the cards it can gain to costing up to $3 and try that version. My expectation is that this will cause it to be gained later in the game than currently usual, and sometimes ignored. This is what I want because, as is, it's too dominant.

Bastion is strong, always useful and probably a priority to gain until the pile is empty. At least I feel this way. So its penalty for empty piles gets activated almost automatically in every game and that's a good thing.

Valorize, I am afraid, might suffer from the Rebuild syndrome. After several plays it gets so powerful that you can threaten to end the game on Provinces at any time. It coerces the other players to invest in Valorize as well, otherwise they are probably going to lose. It might be balanced but it's hard to determine because Asper didn't gain it (and was crushed because of that). But, like Rebuild, it might not be fun at all due to the factors mentioned above. I'm almost certain this card should only be used with Colonies.
Check out my fan cards!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2015, 09:01:27 am »
+1

Reconvert was fine, if I remember correctly. Asper, do you recall any interesting details about Reconvert in our game?

It was a Port game, and i trashed Ports for coins, thinking i should use Reconvert like a buy-less Salvager. Which wasn't that effective. You played Port and trashed something different for +Cards, which totally enabled using Reconvert as an engine piece. I wasn't prepared for that. I guess the fact that Port gave you easily available tfb-Targets helped, though you mostly used Reparations for gaining them. I'm still not entirely sure Reconvert doesn't compare too favourably to Salvager, even though the +buy might be cruicial in some situations.

Beachcomb is sometimes crazy strong but when it whiffs (when there's no discard pile) it's terrible (relative to its high cost). We're not sure if it needs a nerf. Sometimes the fact that it's a cantrip is a nerf per se because it might trigger a reshuffle. This makes the card very swingy. We did not use its reaction, and it rarely gets used in practise. Still, it might be pretty powerful when you can use it.

I thought Beachcomb was much better than Lab and was surprisedit isn't. Still i'm not sure it needs the Reaction to be worthwile. Maybe use it to make another, slightly less interesting card, better.

Benefit's sheer gaining power is obviously board dependent and in our game it was very useful but its action part seems balanced. The penalty matters in the endgame in head-to-head VP races and threatens unforeseeable three-pile-endings in multiplayer games. The reaction part wasn't used and Asper raised concerns over it in curser games. Benefit may be reason enough to forego most cursers. But then again, we are far away from being top players so we might underestimate the importance of cursing. Only thing I know is you always buy Witch ;)

I also think Benefit's on-play-effect is so good that its Reaction, which is neat but not that strong, might go unused most of the time. And yes, for Curser games it's a reaction that harms the attacker, so that's definitely something i' try to avoid. Repeating this for others, i think Messenger does a similar effect in a less problematic way.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2015, 10:28:19 pm »
+1

Reparations has been dominating every board so far, and I feel like this is not so much because of its insane endgame power but rather due to how easy it makes reaching this point (two empty piles). I want to limit the cards it can gain to costing up to $3 and try that version. My expectation is that this will cause it to be gained later in the game than currently usual, and sometimes ignored. This is what I want because, as is, it's too dominant.
You could try making it worth $1 +$1 for each empty supply pile in addition to its gaining. It makes it stronger to start, but it never gets to be worth $4.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2015, 07:10:39 pm »
+1

Realm Tax is easily a crucial card on many boards as it's often not that hard to reach the point where it's worth $3. Asper has not been the first to suggest I raise its basic cost to $1 or $2 but I am rather inclined to raise the action threshold to 4 or even 5.
I think it'd be a good idea to raise the action threshold to 5, but the basic problem with the card would still be there. It's a card that will usually not be hard to play as a gold most of the time, yet you buy it for really cheap. I think I'd both raise the action threshold and raise the basic cost.
I think Fool's Gold is a good comparison. You need to get two of them to line up to make each of them worth $2.5. Three Fool's Golds in a hand makes them each worth the same as a gold. With Realm Tax, you can play one action for +Buy and get two Realm Taxes (or three if your action is a squire) for $1 each (cheaper than fool's gold), and I don't think it'll be much harder (if any) to get them activated than fool's golds are. Since Fool's Gold is already one of the strongest $2 cost cards, I'd give Realm Tax a base cost of $1 even if you also raise the action threshold to 4 or 5.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2015, 08:37:31 pm »

Realm Tax is easily a crucial card on many boards as it's often not that hard to reach the point where it's worth $3. Asper has not been the first to suggest I raise its basic cost to $1 or $2 but I am rather inclined to raise the action threshold to 4 or even 5.
I think it'd be a good idea to raise the action threshold to 5, but the basic problem with the card would still be there. It's a card that will usually not be hard to play as a gold most of the time, yet you buy it for really cheap. I think I'd both raise the action threshold and raise the basic cost.
I think Fool's Gold is a good comparison. You need to get two of them to line up to make each of them worth $2.5. Three Fool's Golds in a hand makes them each worth the same as a gold. With Realm Tax, you can play one action for +Buy and get two Realm Taxes (or three if your action is a squire) for $1 each (cheaper than fool's gold), and I don't think it'll be much harder (if any) to get them activated than fool's golds are. Since Fool's Gold is already one of the strongest $2 cost cards, I'd give Realm Tax a base cost of $1 even if you also raise the action threshold to 4 or 5.

I will not nerf the card twice at once before trying if one nerf is sufficient. I will start by raising the action threshold to carefully adjust Realm Tax's power instead of beating it with a sledgehammer into uselessness. It's not that easy to play 4 or 5 actions a turn early in a game. But you need to gain RT early, and with a high action threshold, it will often get in your way and only be worth $1. If you don't have an engine, you will never activate it anyway.
Check out my fan cards!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Roots and Renewal
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2015, 12:02:36 pm »

I have updated the OP. As you can see, there are four new additions to the set. Although Refugees isn't technically new. Please tell me what you think of them.

I have also made changes to some cards. Benefit got a new reaction, and Realm Tax and Reparations will be nerfed.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:32:52 am by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2015, 08:41:58 am »
+1

Capital makes openings very swingy. For example, if I open 5/2, I can play an Estate on my $2 turn, making all Estates miss the shuffle and probably drawing a Copper in hand. If I open 2/5, however, on my first turn I have to decide whether I only want one $3 card added to my deck after the first shuffle, or if I prefer buying a $2 over a $3, neither of which are great options.

I fix I can think of is to change it from a "In games using this" clause to a "While this is in play" clause. That's also more interesting as it disables boring BM strategies where you use Provinces for draw - which would probably be decently strong otherwise.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2015, 08:46:28 am »
+1

Also, the "it" on Prefect is ambiguous, as it's not clear whether it refers to the Province or to the Prefect. It makes a pretty big difference, and I have no idea which of these two options you intended. Also, the last part probably should read "If you do, at the end of this turn's clean up phase, draw two extra cards" or something, that sounds clearer.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2015, 09:12:19 am »

Capital makes openings very swingy. For example, if I open 5/2, I can play an Estate on my $2 turn, making all Estates miss the shuffle and probably drawing a Copper in hand. If I open 2/5, however, on my first turn I have to decide whether I only want one $3 card added to my deck after the first shuffle, or if I prefer buying a $2 over a $3, neither of which are great options.

I fix I can think of is to change it from a "In games using this" clause to a "While this is in play" clause. That's also more interesting as it disables boring BM strategies where you use Provinces for draw - which would probably be decently strong otherwise.

This is a deliberate decision. One of the themes of Roots and Renewal is manipulations of the opening turns, and Capital is supposed to do that. T1 and T2 are already very swingy so by adding a decision for players to it, it can only improve.

Also, the "it" on Prefect is ambiguous, as it's not clear whether it refers to the Province or to the Prefect. It makes a pretty big difference, and I have no idea which of these two options you intended. Also, the last part probably should read "If you do, at the end of this turn's clean up phase, draw two extra cards" or something, that sounds clearer.

It is supposed to set aside the Province and I guess I should make that more clear. However, for the second part I used the exact same wording as Expedition so there should be no misunderstanding there.

Also, I am aware that the name "Quest" is already taken by an Event but I haven't come up with an alternative, yet.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:13:46 am by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2015, 02:16:28 pm »
+2

I suggested these things before, but i'm going to repeat it for good measure. I think Quest should just look at the top four cards, put one in your hand and discard the rest. Faster to resolve, no "I should have taken the Silver instead", easier wording.

Also, thinking about the name, Quest is a classic Peddler+ for $5, like Junk Dealer, Market, Baker, Artificer, Highway... What makes this one special is that you look at the top cards of your deck and choose one, so look what fits here. Something about Maps, Cards, Scouts, Travel seems to fit (and Quest fits too). Voyager?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2015, 02:24:02 pm »
+2

Adventures had an Reserve outtake that allowed you to call it to set aside a gained card onto your Tavern mat. It was too strong to be able to set aside Provinces, etc. as you gained them. Prefect is more expensive ($5 instead of $2), but it's also WAY stronger (+6 Cards instead of "gain a Silver per card the player to your right gained on his last turn"). I don't think it's going to work out.

Maybe I've said this before, but Refugees' gimmick of being an easy pile to empty doesn't really excite me; certainly not enough to warrant its own mat.

I agree with Asper that Quest should just look at the top X cards of your deck. If X is 4, then it doesn't need +$1; it's plenty strong without it. If X is 2, then sure +$1 is good.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2015, 03:04:13 pm »
+2

I agree with Asper that Quest should just look at the top X cards of your deck. If X is 4, then it doesn't need +$1; it's plenty strong without it. If X is 2, then sure +$1 is good.

Wouldn't 4 cards without coin make it relatively similar to, and a bit weaker than, Cartographer? Cartographer can always decide to keep good cards on your deck. Hmm... On the other hand, a single Cartographer wouldn't draw the wanted card, unlike a single Quest. I guess 4 cards without coin would be fair. I'd say having the coin with less cards seems more attractive, though.

One could say the original wording also solves the "not too similar to Cartographer" problem and also makes it a bit weaker to compensate for the coin, but i just don't see it being very enjoyable.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2015, 05:05:02 pm »

Adventures had an Reserve outtake that allowed you to call it to set aside a gained card onto your Tavern mat. It was too strong to be able to set aside Provinces, etc. as you gained them. Prefect is more expensive ($5 instead of $2), but it's also WAY stronger (+6 Cards instead of "gain a Silver per card the player to your right gained on his last turn"). I don't think it's going to work out.

Maybe I've said this before, but Refugees' gimmick of being an easy pile to empty doesn't really excite me; certainly not enough to warrant its own mat.

I don't see why Prefect wouldn't work out (although I have erred plenty in the past). It's supposed to only work with Provinces and the draw bonus, both on-play and on-call can be easily adjusted if they're too strong.

I agree your suggestions would make Quest easier to resolve but also less unique. I want to try out a new mechanic and if that proves to be to fiddly or un-fun or whatever, I'd rather drop the case completely than have something very similar to existing cards.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your opinions, so please keep responding. The thing is, these cards have barely been tested, yet, so I will keep your suggestions in mind but not tweak the cards before I have tested them.
Check out my fan cards!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2015, 06:31:51 am »
+2

At first I didn't see why Prefect wouldn't work out, as I could have just nerfed the draw bonuses as needed, until Asper disabused me; In a good engine, playing multiple Prefects and calling them back in the same turn when you gain a single or double Province becomes too automatic and wasn't my original intention. Prefect was actually supposed to be a one-shot for draw, and then (on the Tavern mat) a one-shot for setting aside a Province, and that's what I'm reverting to.

There's another new card named Tollkeeper that I want to try out. It's a severely nerfed version of a card that wanted to be a Horse Trader variant but turned out to be way too strong. I kept the concept "draw when your opponents play good Treasures" and built the rest of the card around it. I don't know if it's at all good.

Other small changes have been made:
  • At Asper's urging, Bog Village does not force you to trash a Supply card or return a card from the trash to the Supply anymore. This way, you can play all your BVs smoothly and uninterfered when you just want them for the village effect.
  • Shire now can only gain non-Victory cards. Otherwise, it would be overpowered in alt-VP rushes. And I surely wouldn't want Shire to be able to somehow do its thing with Provinces. Again, thanks to Asper ;)
  • Quest has been renamed to Routing. Its effect will remain as-is for now, as I found the execution of its effect unproblematic. It might be a bit of a gamble sometimes whether you discard a card or top-deck it and I like it this way.
Check out my fan cards!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.