Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Roots and Renewal  (Read 91910 times)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Roots and Renewal (fan card set BETA)
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2015, 10:21:14 am »
+1

If I'm reading it correctly, I can King's Court a Salesman and then empty the entire pile of Grand Markets. Is that right?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2015, 10:50:54 am »

If I'm reading it correctly, I can King's Court a Salesman and then empty the entire pile of Grand Markets. Is that right?

If Grand Market was the pile added by Salesman's setup clause, then yes.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2015, 10:51:04 am »

That's a good note. Maybe it should say "while this is in play" instead of "this turn". You could still potentially gain a lot of cards from the extra Kingdom pile with a lot of money or if you played multiple Salesmen. Is that okay or overpowered? It's not easy to do but Salesman might be too strong on some boards. Or he should be more expensive.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2015, 10:52:29 am »
+1

Cost reducers combined with on-buy +Buy is pretty much a recipe for that kind of situation. I'd be wary of sticking the two on one card in any form.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2015, 11:03:52 am »

I had a quick idea. What if I were to take the top part of Salesman and the bottom part of Siege, changed them a little and put them together to get something like this:

Salesiege
$4?
Action
Choose a Supply card pile. Cards from that pile cost $1 or $2 more this turn, your choice.
While this is in play, when you buy a card, you may trash a card you have in play and gain a card costing exactly $1 more.

It could even be a Duration card with some effect for next turn so the cost increase actually affects other players as well.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:04:57 am by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2015, 03:29:40 pm »

For Battlement, how about, "When you trash this during another player's turn, that player trashes an Attack card he has in play". Also, that's super harsh. Maybe he could gain a Silver or something to replace it?

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2015, 03:58:59 pm »

For Battlement, how about, "When you trash this during another player's turn, that player trashes an Attack card he has in play". Also, that's super harsh. Maybe he could gain a Silver or something to replace it?

Well, I didn't playtest it enough. I would really like to see some other people's reaction to Battlement's on-trash effect when it is actually triggered against them. I like to think that those attacks that trash Battlement are quite harsh themselves (after all, they're trashing attacks) and there's only a handful of them. If it turns out to be too harsh, heck okay, you can have a consolidation Silver.

"When you trash this during another player's turn, that player trashes an Attack card he has in play" - The part in italics I deliberately omitted so Battlement can be used to trash Sieges other players have in play. However, if I dismiss Siege as a card idea, there would be no attack cards that could be in play during another player's turn so the rephrasing isn't necessary.
Check out my fan cards!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2015, 09:00:52 am »

This is my new version of Provisioner. No more wonky choices that don't make sense or needless complication. After a couple of non-human-interactive test games it seems solid. It's a pretty strong BM enabler and okay for engines with treasures as payload. It doesn't like other engines very much, and greening, and slogs, and junking, and Copper trashing... :P

You will also notice that on a board with Provisioner, a 5/2 opening is much better than a 2/5.

Thoughts, ideas, complaints? :)
Check out my fan cards!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2015, 09:56:03 am »

I don't think it needs the on-gain at all.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2015, 10:04:14 am »

I don't think it needs the on-gain at all.

No but I like it :D It fits the top thematically and it's a nice bonus. It makes a 5/3 opening possible.
Check out my fan cards!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2015, 01:58:29 pm »
+2

I have removed Slurry Pit from the set because it doesn't intrigue me any more and also it whiffs too often. I also removed Bivouac because doing stuff upon revealing is too confusing in certain situations.

I think trashing from the discard pile could be a nice on-gain or on-buy effect so you can trigger it exactly when the time is right. So I would like to try overpay. Also, I need a new village but the top part of Bivouac it too boring to recycle. I eventually came up with this card that fulfils my requirements and does some more stuff:

Robber Knight
$3
Action/Looter
+2 Actions. Gain a Gold and a Ruins.

When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, you may look through your discard pile and trash a card from it.

I only did one test game with Robber Knight where it wasn't bought because it was outclassed by Mining Village and Conspirator. What are your first impressions on that card? Is the cost accurate? Would you buy it or, rather, when would you buy it?
Check out my fan cards!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2015, 02:14:31 pm »

Without thinking about it too much, I like Robber Knight. It's got a lot going on, but it's not too wordy and I think the effects are cool.

EDIT: Oh! Except I think the overpay should be mandatory. But that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:23:34 pm by LastFootnote »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2015, 03:01:40 pm »

Without thinking about it too much, I like Robber Knight. It's got a lot going on, but it's not too wordy and I think the effects are cool.

EDIT: Oh! Except I think the overpay should be mandatory. But that's just my opinion.

That's great to hear :) I have thought about mandatory trashing but that could really screw you over if you don't pay attention to your deck. But Herald is mandatory as well and I assume DXV would say "you should really know what's in your discard pile, seriously." I will test mandatory with priority.
Check out my fan cards!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2015, 03:17:25 pm »
+1

When i first looked at Robber Knight, i didn't like it. On second thought, it has something to it, even though the parts seem contradictory at first. Hey, you can use your spare action to play that Ruins you got. Either way, i'd say i'm a bit in favour for making the trashing optional, for the "screw yourself over" thing exactly.

Nice expansion symbol you got there, by the way.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2015, 03:20:47 pm »

When i first looked at Robber Knight, i didn't like it. On second thought, it has something to it, even though the parts seem contradictory at first. Hey, you can use your spare action to play that Ruins you got.

Yeah, that's part of what I like about it. +2 Actions to play the Ruins you're gaining.

I think the biggest strike against the card is that it's overpay for trashing, which is basically the same concept as Doctor. It's different than Doctor, though, and maybe it'll play differently enough.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2015, 03:42:18 pm »

Nice expansion symbol you got there, by the way.

Finally someone notices :D

Of course I thought about Doctor. You buy Doctor solely for the trashing and you can trash a little bit on-buy. You can buy Robber Knight just for the trashing but it does other stuff for you. The trashing is a one-time thing only so if trashing is your main goal, you should aim to make this overpay as big as possible which sets it apart from Doctor. You can trash the Ruins you previously gained Ruins, too, which is cute.
Check out my fan cards!

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2015, 05:30:24 pm »

Yeah, it's an interesting contrast that Doctor's on-play effect cleans up your deck like its overpay trashing while Robber Knight's on-play does the opposite. Of course, with non-terminal Ruins gaining, it could be possible to rapidly thin the Ruins pile and make it gain free Golds on play... I don't know how much of an issue that could be.

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2015, 11:18:47 pm »
+1

Is it possible for you to post your latest versions of cards in this set at full resolution (either together as a zip file or with clickable images as in Asper's thread)? I'd like to print out a full set for playtesting.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2015, 08:29:19 am »
+1

Is it possible for you to post your latest versions of cards in this set at full resolution (either together as a zip file or with clickable images as in Asper's thread)? I'd like to print out a full set for playtesting.

It is definitely possbile and I will be happy to provide them to you :) I wanted to make clickable images like Asper did but I don't know how. I also don't know how to upload a zip file here so I would be glad if you told me how to do one of the two ;)

Just a little warning: some cards have hardly been tested at all, and some are likely to be changed as soon as I can come up with something better. E.g. Siege might not be implemented as-is, it really needs testing. Salesman will be dropped, as Jack Rudd pointed out a flaw with it that could brake the game balance...
Check out my fan cards!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2015, 09:36:27 am »
+1

It is definitely possbile and I will be happy to provide them to you :) I wanted to make clickable images like Asper did but I don't know how. I also don't know how to upload a zip file here so I would be glad if you told me how to do one of the two ;)

Just a little warning: some cards have hardly been tested at all, and some are likely to be changed as soon as I can come up with something better. E.g. Siege might not be implemented as-is, it really needs testing. Salesman will be dropped, as Jack Rudd pointed out a flaw with it that could brake the game balance...

I didn't really do anything special. I uploaded a pretty big version of the card image and made it a bit smaller by writing widht=260 inside the image tag. I would claim it's an intended feature, but it's basically me being too lazy to scale down whenever i export an image...

Quote me to see how the tag looks here: 

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2015, 10:28:41 am »
+2

I think that's a clever idea since it makes it possible for other people to view and download your images at full size and otherwise save space. I'm not sure this is significantly less work than resizing the images on upload, though^^
Check out my fan cards!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2015, 11:15:47 am »
+1

I think that's a clever idea since it makes it possible for other people to view and download your images at full size and otherwise save space. I'm not sure this is significantly less work than resizing the images on upload, though^^

I agree that it's no less work than uploading a smaller version, but I think I will also do this from now on.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2015, 11:26:41 am »
+1

It looks like the old images (including Forest hut) have disappeared. Are you planning to update the OP with the new images?

By the way, I think the word you're looking for is "Suburb", not "Suburbia". "Suburb" means "a district lying immediately outside a city or town, especially a smaller residential community". "Suburbia" refers to the concept of suburbs, or to all suburbs collectively.

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2015, 12:09:23 pm »

Just be careful not to call it Sburb.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2015, 12:56:05 pm »

It looks like the old images (including Forest hut) have disappeared. Are you planning to update the OP with the new images?

By the way, I think the word you're looking for is "Suburb", not "Suburbia". "Suburb" means "a district lying immediately outside a city or town, especially a smaller residential community". "Suburbia" refers to the concept of suburbs, or to all suburbs collectively.

They disappeared temporarily because I deleted and replaced them with the new, awesome images I made with the templates! The whole OP is updated and contains clickable images now so you can download them in original size.

Thanks for the hint with Suburbia. I liked the name and I guess I could have gotten away with it. Yet, I changed it to Suburb in a sudden fit of concession.
Check out my fan cards!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.