Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Roots and Renewal  (Read 91872 times)

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Roots and Renewal (fan card set BETA)
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 11:51:57 pm »
+2

I've transcribed the cards and will critique them later.
Bivouac
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+1 Card, +2 Actions. Discard a card from your hand.
When you reveal this Bivouac, you may set it aside. If you do, at the start of your next turn, put it into your hand or on top of your deck.

Money Launderer
+1 Action. Gain 2 Coppers , putting them into your hand. At the start of your Buy phase, reveal your hand and return all Coppers from your hand to the Supply.
While this is in play, Coppers cost $1 more.

Poacher
+1 Card. Trash a card from your hand. Discard any number of Poachers from your hand: +2 Cards per Poacher discarded
Setup: Every player replaces one of their starting Estates/Shelters with a Forest Shack.
Forest Shack
Types: Action, Shelter
Cost: $1
+1 Action. + $1. You may discard a card from your hand. If you did: +1 Buy.

Draft Horses
Cost: $3
You may discard a card from your hand. You may look through your discard pile and return a card from it to the Supply. Shuffle your discard pile and put it on top of your deck.

Suburbia
Types: Action, Reaction
+2 Actions, +1 Buy.
When you discard this other than during a Clean-Up phase, you may reveal and set aside this Suburbia. At the beginning of your next turn, put it into your hand.

Tenure
Types: Action, Attack
Look through the discard pile of the player to your left. You may gain a card from it costing up to $6. If you do, pass them this Tenure. If you don't: +1 Card, +1 Action.

Blackmail
Cost: $4
+$2. Return a card from your hand to the Supply. Each other player may discard a Treasure from their hand. If they didn't, they gain a copy of the card you returned.

Bog Village
+1 Card, +2 Actions. Choose one: Return a card from the Trash to the Supply; or trash a card costing from $3 to $6 that is not a Victory card from the Supply.

Fraud
+$2. Gain a Copper, putting it into your hand.
When another player would gain a card, you may reveal and set aside this Fraud. If you do, choose a card with the same cost for them to gain instead. At the beginning of your next turn. put this into your hand.

Reconvert
Return a card from your hand to the Supply and choose one: Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it, putting it into your hand; or gain 2 cards each costing exactly $1 less than it.

Siege
Types: Action, Attack, Duration
+1 Action. Now and at the start of your next turn, each other player with more than 3 cards in hand discards a card.
While this is in play, Victory cards cost $1 more.

Slurry Pit
+1 Action. Each player (including you) looks through their discard pile, passes a card from it to the left and puts the received card into their discard pile. You may trash a card from your discard pile.

Benefit
Cost: $5
Gain 2 cards with a total cost of up to $6. Every other player may gain an Estate
When you gain a card, you may discard this from your hand. If you did, every other player gains a copy of that card.

Building Crane
+2 Cards, +2 Actions. Return this to the Supply.
When you return this to the Supply, it costs $1 less during this turn's Buy phase, but not less than $0.

Deposit
+2 Cards. Put up to 2 cards from your hand on top of your deck. Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Trash any number of them and put the rest back in any order.

Juggler
+2 Cards. Each player (including you) may discard a Curse from their hand. If they didn't, they gain a Curse, putting it into their hand. You may return a Curse from your hand to the Supply. If you didn't: +$2.

Prefecture
Types: Victory
Worth 1VP per Province in the Supply.

Purchase Deal
Types: Treasure
$4, +1 Buy. The player to your left chooses a card from the Supply costing from $3 to $6. You have to buy a copy of that card this turn if you have sufficient $ in play.

Regal Decree
Do this twice: You may look through your discard pile and play an Action other than Regal Decree from it.

Royals
+3 Cards. Return a card from your hand to the Supply. Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand returns a card from their hand to the Supply

Bastion
Cost: $6
+2 Cards, +1 Action, +$1. Discard a card for each empty Supply pile.

Beachcomb
Cost: $6
+1 Card, +1 Action. Look through your discard pile and put a card from it into your hand.
When any player (including you) would trash a card, you may discard this from your hand. If you did, that played does not trash that card, but discards it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 03:40:28 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 06:16:52 am »

I've transcribed the cards and will critique them later.
Wow, that's very nice of you! I wanted to do the transcriptions now and add them to the overview post. But now I guess I'll use yours. Thanks for the work! :)

EDIT: I noticed a few aesthetic errors in many of my cards: "Supply" is always written in capital (the "trash", for whatever reason, is not), so are card types. Also, it seems to be unnecessary to specify the "discard" command with the line "from your hand". This is apparently the norm. I will change these things whenever I update the card images. However, with the software I'm using I'm able to create the card images easily and frequently.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 06:59:08 am by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 03:28:46 pm »

Edit
Bivouac
When you reveal Bivouac, you may set it aside. If you do, at the start of your next turn, put it into your hand or on top of your deck.

There are a lot of choices here that don't need to be here. That said, it looks balanced, but since revealing it from your hand does nothing, that gets rid of lots of combos. What about this?

Bivouac
When you reveal Bivouac, set it aside and draw a card. At the start of your next turn, put it into your hand.

Money Launderer
+1 Action. Gain 2 Coppers , putting them into your hand. At the start of your Buy phase, reveal your hand and return all Coppers from your hand to the Supply.
While this is in play, Copper costs $1 more.

As with what lastfootnote said, this won't be too good if you're allowed to spend them, so why not? $1 increase in price for copper still isn't enough to be interesting.

Money Launderer
+1 Action. Gain 2 Coppers, putting them into your hand. At the start of your cleanup phase, reveal your hand and trash all Coppers in your hand.
While this is in play, Copper costs $2 more.

Poacher
+1 Card. Trash a card from your hand. Discard any number of Poachers from your hand: +2 Cards per Poacher discarded
Setup: Every player replaces one of their starting Estates/Shelters with a Forest Shack.
Forest Shack
Types: Action, Shelter
Cost: $1
+1 Action. + $1. You may discard a card from your hand. If you did: +1 Buy.

The trash a card seems odd, especially with you having one less useless card in your deck due to forest shack - what about +$1? That's an interesting vanilla bonus that hasn't been done before.

Draft Horses
You may discard a card from your hand. You may look through your discard pile and return a card from it to the Supply. Shuffle your discard pile and put it on top of your deck.

This is my favorite card - putting your discard on your deck has really interesting consequences. Return a card can here be trash; it doesn't make a big difference though. To avoid the pitfall lf mentioned, what about this: now and when you discard this from play, you may shuffle your discard pile and put it on top of your deck.

Suburbia
+2 Actions, +1 Buy.
When you discard this other than during Clean-Up, you may reveal and set this aside. At the beginning of your next turn, put it into your hand.

Tenure
Look through the discard pile of the player to your left. You may gain a card from it costing up to $6. If you do, pass them this Tenure. If you don't: +1 Card, +1 Action.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:48:33 pm by XerxesPraelor »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 04:33:28 pm »

This is my favorite fan expansion I'be seen. (Sorry, LF!) I'LLC give a review of the cards in a bit.

Dude, you do not have to apologize to me for liking somebody else's fan expansion better. Everybody has different tastes.

I think this set has a lot of cool stuff, and I should get back to critiquing the cards. I am not a huge fan of "returning cards to the Supply" as a theme. Mostly trashing the cards is better. Sometimes returning them to the Supply makes sense, like with Money Launderer; otherwise you'd run out of Coppers. With enough cards like that, I'm on board. If it's just being used as a substitute for trashing, I'm not so interested.

EDIT: Specifically, the returning to the Supply also makes sense on Blackmail and Building Crane. On all the other cards, trashing would be just as good or better.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:19:40 pm by LastFootnote »

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 06:14:53 pm »

I think Purchase Deal has small but significant wording issues. For instance, can the other player force me to buy Grand Market if I have Coppers in play? What if I play Purchase Deal and Contraband, and the same card is forced and prohibited? (the last one could make sense if I am playing lots of Treasures).

The original card is almost strictly better than this:

Purchase Deal
Worth $1. Gain a Silver.

Which is not really powerful but could be ok.

I think this wording works better and makes the card stronger, but not hugely unbalanced:

Purchase Deal
Worth $4. The player to your left chooses a card from the Supply costing from $3 to $6. Gain the chosen card. -$1 for each $1 in its cost, to a minimum of $0.

Notice that I removed the +Buy, because you are now gaining without buying. If you want to be more precise, you could add "If you did not gain a card, +1 Buy", but it does not make sense to me. I would either leave it as is, or add +1 Buy unconditionally. You can add "you cannot play more Treasures this turn" or "While this is in play, Treasures other than PD are worth $0" to make it more similar to the original text (i.e., force to play PD last), but I would test this as is. It seems weak anyway.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 05:37:29 am »

This is my favorite fan expansion I'be seen. (Sorry, LF!) I'LLC give a review of the cards in a bit.
That is nice to hear. Nonetheless Roots and Renewal is clearly far from being acceptable for me as an expansion. Almost all cards still need tweaking, nerfing or buffing in order to be functioning. LFN said that his Enterprise set will probably never be finished, although there went a lot more time into developing his set than into mine. So for R'n'R the same applies even more - that it is even farther from being finished, and will never be. But thank you anyway :)

I think this set has a lot of cool stuff, and I should get back to critiquing the cards. I am not a huge fan of "returning cards to the Supply" as a theme. Mostly trashing the cards is better. Sometimes returning them to the Supply makes sense, like with Money Launderer; otherwise you'd run out of Coppers. With enough cards like that, I'm on board. If it's just being used as a substitute for trashing, I'm not so interested.

EDIT: Specifically, the returning to the Supply also makes sense on Blackmail and Building Crane. On all the other cards, trashing would be just as good or better.
In the beginning, there wasn't really a reason for returning stuff to the supply. I aim to include more cards like Bastion that synergize with Supply piles and sometimes want you to return cards to make them stronger. Regal Decree originally cared for the Supply, too. However, the only way it didn't have the same issues as BoM made it too similar to the same.

I can see your point for Draft Horses. There is currently no reason not to just trash the card instead of return. Reconvert returns the card so that you can double it by converting it into 2 cheaper cards, and later reconvert the cheaper cards into more expensive cards each, again. This might be a waste of time, though... Bog Village can return cards from the trash to the Supply which can tactically be very interesting,

I think. I'm currently working on tweaking Royalty and scratch the line "Return a card from your hand to the Supply." Instead, I want to make it stronger as an attack. These are ideas I have in mind:
Royalty A, $5, Action/Attack: + 3 Cards. Every other player draws a card. If they have 5 or more cards in hand, they return a card from it to the Supply.
Royalty B, $5, Action/Attack: + 3 Cards. Every other player draws until they have 5 cards in hand and return a card from their hand to the Supply.
Version A works better in combination with discard attacks. However, version B is stronger on its own and also works fine with discard attacks if you play those after you played Royalty. Both versions are more devastating when played consecutively but B makes the opponent cycle more if combined with a discard attack. I kind of makes sense to have the cards be returned instead of trashed here so they aren't lost forever. Still, both versions of Royalty can obliterate an opponent's deckwhen played in an engine. I tested this. It's pretty nasty. Do you think these versions are too devastating?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 01:56:09 pm »

Draft Horses

I've mentioned already that returning a card to the Supply seems out of place here. Other than making it on-theme, there's no reason the card couldn't be trashed. As a general note, the entire concept of returning cards to the Supply is not great because it can keep the game from moving toward an ending condition. It's fine for stuff like Money Launderer (where it's way less useful if the Coppers run out) or Blackmail (where you want the attack to stay relevant for a while). But as a general substitute for trashing, it's bad.

Anyhow, Draft Horses seems super-weak. You pseudo-trash one card from your hand or discard pile, then shuffle your discard pile and put it on top of your deck. The singleton trashing is weak by itself, and unlike "put your deck into your discard pile", shuffling your discard pile immediately and putting it onto your deck doesn't shuffle in the cards you gained this turn. It's going to be a penalty way more often than a bonus. And of course it means that if you throne Draft Horses, you can really only trash one card from your discard pile and the rest have to come from your hand.

I am struggling to find any part of this card worth saving. Even if you were to add a vanilla bonus to make it less weak, what's the concept here? How is this different from what has come before?

Suburbia
Types: Action - Reaction
+2 Actions, +1 Buy.
When you discard this other than during Clean-Up, you may reveal and set this aside. At the beginning of your next turn, put it into your hand.

I have tried this Reaction before, on Village for $4 and Peddler for $5. We didn't find it very fun. Unlike Tunnel, which you're happy to discard on your turn, you usually would rather play an Action like this. Maybe you'll have better luck with it.

I think the action is too weak for $3, even with the reaction added.

Tenure
Types: Action - Attack

Interesting idea. If you pass this, it goes into the player to your left's hand, so he could play it and eventually it could go around the table and hit you even before your next turn, stealing the card you just stole. But it takes an Action, so maybe not everybody plays it. Hmm. Yeah, I think this is worth testing as-is. Here's my suggested wording:

Tenure
Look through the discard pile of the player to your left. You may gain a card from it costing up to $6. If you do, pass this to them. Otherwise, +1 Card, +1 Action.

That's the $3 cards. I'll try to critique some more later.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2014, 04:26:25 pm »
+1

Draft Horses

I've mentioned already that returning a card to the Supply seems out of place here. Other than making it on-theme, there's no reason the card couldn't be trashed. As a general note, the entire concept of returning cards to the Supply is not great because it can keep the game from moving toward an ending condition. It's fine for stuff like Money Launderer (where it's way less useful if the Coppers run out) or Blackmail (where you want the attack to stay relevant for a while). But as a general substitute for trashing, it's bad.

Anyhow, Draft Horses seems super-weak. You pseudo-trash one card from your hand or discard pile, then shuffle your discard pile and put it on top of your deck. The singleton trashing is weak by itself, and unlike "put your deck into your discard pile", shuffling your discard pile immediately and putting it onto your deck doesn't shuffle in the cards you gained this turn. It's going to be a penalty way more often than a bonus. And of course it means that if you throne Draft Horses, you can really only trash one card from your discard pile and the rest have to come from your hand.

I am struggling to find any part of this card worth saving. Even if you were to add a vanilla bonus to make it less weak, what's the concept here? How is this different from what has come before?

I already noticed myself that Draft Horses is weak. I plan on letting it return/trash up to 2 cards from your discard pile, but I wanted to wait for your impression on Draft Horses first. Anyway, it desperately needs in engine, otherwise it will just slow you down heavily. I know it's an awkward concept that is rarely helpful. Yet I think in some situations it might really shine and I want to test and look for these. There are some original cards that have similarly questionable abilities, too, and are seldom bought, like Scout, Counting House or Navigator, but sometimes they are.

I agree that Draft Horses have no reason to return cards instead of trashing them. Maybe I will find a way to make it matter, or I might change it to trash. Anyhow, the set's concept should be more than just "returning stuff to the supply", it's interaction with the supply in general. I hope I can justify returning instead of trashing more by elaborating smarter card interactions revolving around that concept. For me it's not a concern that returning cards may "keep the game from moving toward an ending condition" because I found that the cards as-they-are are unlikely to impede the game's ending. They are meant to allow players to alternate supply conditions which some cards like Prefecture and Bastion want.

Suburbia
Types: Action - Reaction
+2 Actions, +1 Buy.

I have tried this Reaction before, on Village for $4 and Peddler for $5. We didn't find it very fun. Unlike Tunnel, which you're happy to discard on your turn, you usually would rather play an Action like this. Maybe you'll have better luck with it.

I think the action is too weak for $3, even with the reaction added.

Suburbia seemed to work okay during playtests, but not great. I find it hard to make the action part good enough while keeping it at $3 without getting too close to original cards like Fishing Village or Village. However, you seemed to have overlooked that Suburbia is set aside and returned to your hand when it gets discarded so it's actually a pretty good counter to discard attacks and deck-milling attacks. Especially against the latter since it increases your handsize next turn and you can also play it then.
(Originally, Suburbia could be set aside for next turn if you trash or return a card to the supply (similar to Market Square), although I never tested this.)

Tenure

Interesting idea. If you pass this, it goes into the player to your left's hand, so he could play it and eventually it could go around the table and hit you even before your next turn, stealing the card you just stole. But it takes an Action, so maybe not everybody plays it. Hmm. Yeah, I think this is worth testing as-is. Here's my suggested wording:

Tenure
Look through the discard pile of the player to your left. You may gain a card from it costing up to $6. If you do, pass this to them. Otherwise, +1 Card, +1 Action.

I like your suggestion for rewording Tenure. I noticed that "pass" is not a defined term and actually I mean Tenure to say "If you do, put this into their discard pile" which would make it noticeably stronger. Do you think this would still be okay?
Check out my fan cards!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2014, 04:58:21 pm »
+1

Suburbia seemed to work okay during playtests, but not great. I find it hard to make the action part good enough while keeping it at $3 without getting too close to original cards like Fishing Village or Village. However, you seemed to have overlooked that Suburbia is set aside and returned to your hand when it gets discarded so it's actually a pretty good counter to discard attacks and deck-milling attacks. Especially against the latter since it increases your handsize next turn and you can also play it then.
(Originally, Suburbia could be set aside for next turn if you trash or return a card to the supply (similar to Market Square), although I never tested this.)

I didn't miss it. The protection against discard and deck-milling Attacks definitely works well. But I guess I wanted the Reaction to be more widely-applicable, like Tunnel is. And I found that the decision of whether to discard it with e.g. Oasis wasn't fun in practice. I didn't give it that much of a chance, though.

You could try [+2 Actions; +1 Buy; +$1]. That might be fine at $3.

I like your suggestion for rewording Tenure. I noticed that "pass" is not a defined term and actually I mean Tenure to say "If you do, put this into their discard pile" which would make it noticeably stronger. Do you think this would still be okay?

"Pass" is a defined term (in the Intrigue rules) and the passed card goes right to the player's hand. My gut says Tenure might be too strong if it goes into the player's discard pile instead. I'd try it to hand first and see how that goes.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 01:50:56 pm »

I've edited in my thoughts - I won't post from now on, but FYI I'll continue editing things into that one post.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2014, 04:56:28 pm »

I've edited in my thoughts - I won't post from now on, but FYI I'll continue editing things into that one post.

Thank you very much!

Bivouac
There are a lot of choices here that don't need to be here. That said, it looks balanced, but since revealing it from your hand does nothing, that gets rid of lots of combos. What about this?

Bivouac
When you reveal Bivouac, set it aside and draw a card. At the start of your next turn, put it into your hand.

Setting it aside must be optional, otherwise if you play cards like Crossroads you would be forced to set aside Bivouacs from your hand until next turn. I want to text the card more with the option of topdecking Bivouac. If it turns out to be never used I might scratch that decision.

Money Launderer

As with what lastfootnote said, this won't be too good if you're allowed to spend them, so why not? $1 increase in price for copper still isn't enough to be interesting.

Money Launderer
+1 Action. Gain 2 Coppers, putting them into your hand. At the start of your cleanup phase, reveal your hand and trash all Coppers in your hand.
While this is in play, Copper costs $2 more.

The next update of the set will include that you can play and keep the Coppers. Bumping up the cost increase is a serious consideration if it makes the card more interesting without overpowering it for $2.

Poacher
Forest Shack

The trash a card seems odd, especially with you having one less useless card in your deck due to forest shack - what about +$1? That's an interesting vanilla bonus that hasn't been done before.

I have no idea if Poacher works out like this. It urgently needs testing. At least, I hope it's clear why Poacher has a self-synergy like this and why it comes with a Shelter that gives +Buy. Because you want multiple Poachers in one hand, I figured it might be appropriate that they can help you thin.

Draft Horses

This is my favorite card - putting your discard on your deck has really interesting consequences. Return a card can here be trash; it doesn't make a big difference though. To avoid the pitfall lf mentioned, what about this: now and when you discard this from play, you may shuffle your discard pile and put it on top of your deck.

I like Draft Horses a lot, too. However, LFN is right in that it's too weak. What if I just took the main effect - topdecking from your discard pile - and made something like this:

Draft Horses
+$1. You may discard a card. You may look through your discard pile, reveal up to 3 Action cards from it and put them on top of your deck in any order.

This seems way more useful. If it's not balanced, there's enough room for tweaking. Any comments on this suggestion?
Check out my fan cards!

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2014, 07:31:19 pm »

If it's too weak, just add some other bonus. (Gain an non-victory card costing up to $4 is a fitting bonus if you're really scared it's not good) The cool part about it is the "Put your discard pile on top of your deck - it would be a shame if you changed that. I can imagine this could be part of a faster "gain the supply" puzzle and is really good for cycling (and it makes knowing your deck well even more of a skill)

----
Oh, now I get Poacher's trashing. Yeah, I think it fits the card.
----
If biouvac was +3 actions (maybe even +$1 too) (some person playtested +3 actions for $2 and found it okay but a little weak) you'd have more of a reason to leave it till next time.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:36:06 pm by XerxesPraelor »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2014, 08:32:21 pm »

If it's too weak, just add some other bonus. (Gain an non-victory card costing up to $4 is a fitting bonus if you're really scared it's not good) The cool part about it is the "Put your discard pile on top of your deck - it would be a shame if you changed that. I can imagine this could be part of a faster "gain the supply" puzzle and is really good for cycling (and it makes knowing your deck well even more of a skill)

How is putting your discard pile onto your deck good for cycling? I might rather slow you down immensely unless you have mostly engine components in your discard pile. If you don't, you shouldn't buy or use Draft Horses as it is currently. Just think how Mandarin is bought so rarely but Inn is frequently; it's because Mandarin puts a lot of crap onto your deck and slow you down but Inn shuffles valuable engine components into it. So I figured I should rather focus the card more on engines (returning cards to the supply doesn't need to be on it). I appreciate that you like the card as-is but it needs some boost. I guess gaining an Action card and then topdecking your discard pile would work but I'm not a fan of it. There are definitely several options to test for Draft Horses.

If biouvac was +3 actions (maybe even +$1 too) (some person playtested +3 actions for $2 and found it okay but a little weak) you'd have more of a reason to leave it till next time.
I suppose you mean just +3 Actions, +$1? I don't see why you would rather topdeck a card that doesn't draw cards rather than putting it into your hand. That seems very slow to me. Am I missing something?
Check out my fan cards!

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2014, 04:08:27 am »

Putting discard on deck is not that different than putting deck on discard a la Chancellor. The diacard contains your most recent gains, which are usually tue best cards in your deck (until tue greening).

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2014, 07:30:40 am »

Putting discard on deck is not that different than putting deck on discard a la Chancellor. The diacard contains your most recent gains, which are usually tue best cards in your deck (until tue greening).

So would you say that Draft Horses is currently better, worse, or equally as bad as Chancellor? I really cannot tell from your post.

I think Purchase Deal has small but significant wording issues. For instance, can the other player force me to buy Grand Market if I have Coppers in play? What if I play Purchase Deal and Contraband, and the same card is forced and prohibited? (the last one could make sense if I am playing lots of Treasures).

The original card is almost strictly better than this:

Purchase Deal
Worth $1. Gain a Silver.

Which is not really powerful but could be ok.

I think this wording works better and makes the card stronger, but not hugely unbalanced:

Purchase Deal
Worth $4. The player to your left chooses a card from the Supply costing from $3 to $6. Gain the chosen card. -$1 for each $1 in its cost, to a minimum of $0.

Notice that I removed the +Buy, because you are now gaining without buying. If you want to be more precise, you could add "If you did not gain a card, +1 Buy", but it does not make sense to me. I would either leave it as is, or add +1 Buy unconditionally. You can add "you cannot play more Treasures this turn" or "While this is in play, Treasures other than PD are worth $0" to make it more similar to the original text (i.e., force to play PD last), but I would test this as is. It seems weak anyway.

Yeah, about Purchase Deal... it's really the least compelling card in the set for me, a mere idea for a card that might replace Fraud. Fraud was originally supposed to be s Swindler variant (i. e. another player trashes a card and you decide what they gain with the same cost). I think Fraud is not a nice card and very wordy. Purchase Deal is an attempt to cofer the decision on the other player but this is a) not very intriguing, and b) too similar to Contraband. I've thought about other variations of this with tokens or a Duration card indicating an obligation to buy a certain card but these are too difficult to keep track of.

Your second suggestion might be worth trying, although I'm not happy about the whole concept in general. I would rather scratch it unless people tell me they think Fraud (or Purchase Deal) was a fun card and they would like to play with it. Anyone?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:34:19 am by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2014, 10:14:57 am »

You would want to topdeck a card that gives +actions if you have no terminals in your hand.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2014, 11:54:01 pm »

Prefecture
Why would anyone buy provinces in a 3+ player game with this on the board?  5-cost 12 VP. that's kinda insane. And it takes six province buys to get this to be worth less than a province.

Maybe try this?:
Prefecture
Worth 1VP plus 1 per 2 Provinces in the Supply (rounded down).
It's still worth 7VP when no provinces are bought in 3+player, but that's a lot closer to reasonable. Also, this way, it's not completely dead when the game ends by the provinces going empty.
I might say "Worth 1VP plus 1 per 2 Provinces in the Supply (round up only in 2-player games, otherwise round down)" but that would be unorthodox. Personally, I'm okay with unorthodox, but it seems not many people around here are like me that way...

PS: Yay, I'm a golem now! That's so much cooler than being a moneylender...

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 05:24:18 am »
+1

Prefecture
Why would anyone buy provinces in a 3+ player game with this on the board?  5-cost 12 VP. that's kinda insane. And it takes six province buys to get this to be worth less than a province.

Maybe try this?:
Prefecture
Worth 1VP plus 1 per 2 Provinces in the Supply (rounded down).
It's still worth 7VP when no provinces are bought in 3+player, but that's a lot closer to reasonable. Also, this way, it's not completely dead when the game ends by the provinces going empty.
I might say "Worth 1VP plus 1 per 2 Provinces in the Supply (round up only in 2-player games, otherwise round down)" but that would be unorthodox. Personally, I'm okay with unorthodox, but it seems not many people around here are like me that way...

You're right, I didn't think of multiplayer games because I don't like to play them so much. As I see it, for Prefecture, the price point of $5 is more important than a lot of points because it has to compete with Province at a reasonably low cost to make you ignore Provinces completely. That means you would aim at a 3-pile-ending anyway.
I might say "Worth 1 per 2 Provinces in the Supply (rounded up)" so that in a 2-player-game where only one player goes for Prefectures buying a single Province does not reduce the VP of a Prefecture to 3VP (at which point buying Duchies would be much safer).

I know there are probably several people who say "Co0kieL0rd, this has been tried a million times, it never works out and anyway, I don't like that concept that clearly goes against what we all know and like about Dominion!" I just think that such a card would fit the theme "interaction with the Supply" nicely. Of course Prefecture should not be overpowered but I took into account that its VP are kind of elusive, more so than with any other Victory card.

PS: Yay, I'm a golem now! That's so much cooler than being a moneylender...

I can't wait not to be a dumb Navigator anymore...
Check out my fan cards!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 07:35:31 am »

It doesn't matter how much it's worth during the game, it only matters how much it's worth after the game has ended. If the game ends on Provinces, it's worth nothing. The game has to end on piles for it to be worth anything, and although that is more common in 3+ player games, it's not because there are more Provinces but because there are more players emptying the 10-card piles.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 01:25:25 am »

It doesn't matter how much it's worth during the game, it only matters how much it's worth after the game has ended. If the game ends on Provinces, it's worth nothing. The game has to end on piles for it to be worth anything, and although that is more common in 3+ player games, it's not because there are more Provinces but because there are more players emptying the 10-card piles.
Exactly. That's why no one would bother buying provinces in a 3+ player game with this card out -because a 3-pile ending is more likely anyway with 3+ players and even moreso if anyone is going for prefectures (because they'll be trying to empty piles also). It's like you're agreeing with me while making it sound like you're disagreeing...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2014, 06:38:08 am »

Exactly. That's why no one would bother buying provinces in a 3+ player game with this card out -because a 3-pile ending is more likely anyway with 3+ players and even moreso if anyone is going for prefectures (because they'll be trying to empty piles also). It's like you're agreeing with me while making it sound like you're disagreeing...
It's not that much more likely. If one player goes for Prefectures and the other two go for Provinces, the one who goes for Prefectures has a very good chance of losing the game. If one player goes for Prefectures and another goes for Prefectures, then the third player also has to go for Prefectures because if he goes for Provinces, he probably loses.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2014, 07:31:25 am »

It's not that much more likely. If one player goes for Prefectures and the other two go for Provinces, the one who goes for Prefectures has a very good chance of losing the game. If one player goes for Prefectures and another goes for Prefectures, then the third player also has to go for Prefectures because if he goes for Provinces, he probably loses.
I can see both your points and I guess this card - if I was to leave it as it is - should be tested in several multiplayer games so check if there are boards where going for Provinces would still be the more viable option. I'm sure there are... still I should probably consider reducing the total points a Prefecture can be worth.
Check out my fan cards!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 10:08:13 am »

BIG UPDATE

I reworked almost all the cards, expunged a lot of intra-set redundancy, cleaned up mess wording, and added some new cards. You can always see the current complete set in the OP. In this post I only list the major changes and new cards.

• Money Launderer can now return Coppers from your hand at the start of Clean-up, instead of Buy phase. You don't have to return any Coppers.
  • Poacher is now a Cantrip, as suggested by LastFootnote. It worked way better during playtest than when it was terminal
  • Forest Hut now always provides +Buy, and can provide +$1 if you discard a card. This way, it's always possible to open triple Poacher on a 3/4 or 4/3 opening.
  • Draft Horses is now less redundant with other cards. Its new and single purpose now is to kickstart engines in the early game. It doesn't return or trash cards any more.
  • Suburbia now provides +$1, as LastFootnote suggested.
  • Fraud now has to be discarded instead of set aside until next turn to trigger the reaction. It has been like this before and makes the card less wordy. Fraud is still on the edge of being scratched from the set.
  • Reconvert has had a complete overhaul. It's stronger now, trashes instead of returning, and can even gain from the trash.
  • Building Crane now costs $1 less until the end of turn, not only during the Buy phase.

There are 6 new kingdom cards and 2 ancillary cards. Each of them has been tested at least once.

• Builder and Battlement: Builder is a Reaction that harms the attacker if they play top-deck trashing attacks. Battlement is a non-Supply card that costs more than 3 - how revolutionary!
  • Town Portal: A Reaction that protects your hand from dicard attacks and other attacks that target your hand by setting your hand aside.
  • Royalty: The new version recklessly trashes the top card of your opponent's deck (among other things). If you like swingy, aggressive and mean cards, this is for you.
  • Demagogue: I thought that old Draft Horses' "shuffle your discard pile and put it on top of your deck" line could well be an attack. If your opponent doesn't have a discard pile, he gains a Curse. This set got a lot more aggressive...
  • Reparations: A Talisman variant that provides +$2 per empty Supply pile. What a self-synergy!
  • Mandate and Courier: Mandate is supposed to be a crossover between Band of Misfits and Throne Room. It does that by giving you 2 Couriers which are essentially one-shot BoMs. Does it work out? Heck if I knew...

The following cards have been scratched from the set:
  • old Draft Horses: A half-baked mix of other cards that didn't work out.
  • Purchase Deal: This was the only card that showed up in this thread without any playtesting (or thought put into it). What a waste of time...
  • Regal Decree: The idea wasn't bad but the card had too much in common with Beachcomb (which I think is a great card), so that's that.
  • old Royalty: I didn't like targeting your opponent's hand too much. Nobody likes that.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:14:13 am by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 12:34:11 pm »
+1

visual critique: the text seems a bit off on some cards. I think especially the vanilla effects are too small. the exception here is forest hud.
wording: you keep using "every other player" instead of "each other player." any reason? official cards use "each". more specific wording suggestions on the cards.

Bivouac: I don't really have anything to say here, which is a good thing. It looks solid.

Money Launderer: I think it should be "at the start of Clean-up this turn." Not because that sounds better, but because Scheme uses this wording. it's good to stay as close to official cards as possible.

I'm not sure how useful this really is. I like that it can do very different things with a simple effect though. It may be okay. Hard to say.

Poacher: I think this goes under the "cards that count itself" list. As such, it's good that it's cheap. I like the idea to couple it with an innate +buy early. It looks nice.

Builder: I'm... not sure about this. Not because it hurts the attacker, but because it's weird. If the attack is a witch, you can reveal it to get... a necropolis? And why is the "normal" effect a bridge without buy? I guess that "combos" with battlement, but you have to play the terminal first. Also, it's weird that it just plays in your deck.

This is too complex to just predict how it plays out without testing though. It's possible that it's super fun, then it's worth the awkwardness/lengthiness.

Draft Horses: Mh, might work. I kind of see frustration upon an empty discard pile, but maybe it's okay.

Suburbia: I'd probably copy the original wordings here too. The reaction is a mix of Tunnel and Horse Traders. That'd be: "If you discard this other than during a Clean-up phase, you may reveal and set it aside. If you do, then at the start of your next turn, put this into your hand"

I'm again not sure how fun this is. that's often a sign of good cards though. It looks solid.

Tenure: Uh, what? Why? This is political. And it's also strong and swingy. No-one is making political cards. I appreciate breaking conventional rules with reactions that hurt the attacker, but not with political attacks. They're "banned" from dominion for a reason.

Town Portal: I've tried giving up your turn in order to help the next turn before, and it didn't work. But you might have the better idea on what kind of card to put it on. Still, it's a tactician that only works when you're being attacked. Not a fan.

Blackmail: The attack is not bad, but the card looks too strong, at least to me. Even without the attack, it's +2$, trash a card from your hand, which is really good. With the attack, it's closer to +3$, which is probably stronger than masquerade, or at least about as good. I don't know how much you tested this, but I'd try it with +1$. I'd probably make the attack optional too.

Bog Village: There is a misplaced "from" in the text.
I don't like this one. I think a card that can trash from the supply should

a) either do something else that makes it non-trivial, or have another choice instead, and
b) trash two cards, because if you just trash one, one play changes the pile split into your favor, but only if you're the first one to buy this. That sounds unfun and like a first player advantage

and this card does neither. I mean, it can also get the cards back to the supply, but then what's even the point? you remove it, I put it back, then I buy it. and why is the 3$-6$ even there? you already restricted it to non-victory cards. I think you could just do "kingdom card".

Fraud: Uh. Please don't. I just know this will be frustrating, because the reaction is super powerful on 5$'s, so you always have to evaluate if it's worth risking to buy them. I already dislike this aspect about smugglers, and this is far worse.

You say you're trying variations, so good luck here. The reaction needs to change though.

Reconvert: I think this is just broken? it's so good on estates. remodel is already okay to turn estates into silver, or develop to topdeck them, and this one gives them into your hand. that's so good. I also don't like how the trash effect is just as good as a remodel.

Royalty: Mh. The top half of this is probably too strong for a 4$, but the bottom half usually helps your opponent. I... don't like it. It's too swingy. the attack is anything from "lose a silver" to "trash a bad card" or even "downgrade a province". I mean, if you like swindler, maybe you like this too. It seems similar to me, a better top half, a much weaker attack, but just as swingy.

Siege: This looks really weak. Even if TfB is present, it also works for your opponent, so you really don't produce resources. And the attack isn't even good. Yea, not feelings this one. I'm pretty sure this is one of the weakest cards in the game.

Dominion doesn’t have enough Masquerade!
I'll skip this one

Benefit: Uh, why the penalty? I don't see a reason why it's there. But also, this can lead to some interactions that I'm pretty sure you don't want to have. I play Benefit, you gain an estate. You discard Benefit, now I gain an Estate. I discard Benefit, now you gain an estate? And that's just 2 player. So, I really only see the top part working here.

Building Crane: Not seeing it. it's not nearly powerful enough for a one-shot, and the cost reduction... well, I don't think it's enough. A version for 4$ without the reduction would be pretty much strictly better, and I doubt it would be great.

Demagogue: Let's go through the options
-> empty discard pile: witch with +1 card. crazy good.
-> non-empty discard pile: smithy with... a weird effect. the new cards come into play faster, but the current cards much slower.

So, you play it, and it's either super good already, or it does a weird but probably strong attack, only to be a crazy strong attack the second time. That doesn't sound good to me, but there's an even bigger problem. Say your opponent has a dud hand and you have an engine (not a very unlikely scenario). He buys a silver or something, you play your deck. his dud hand gets back on top of his draw pile. next hand, he still has a dud hand. pin. and it's not even something you work for, it just kind of happens randomly.

Deposit: This looks neat. It does two very different things, which is courtyarding and trashing, and it can even do both at ones. it looks strong, but not overpowered, and pretty unique. I like it a lot.

Juggler: Mh. I'll just read this as a +2 cards, +2$ variant, an effect which, according to Donald (and my intuition), is "strong and uninteresting." The uninteresting part doesn't have to bother you, because this card does a lot an addition. But the powerlevel is questionable. You have more cards, so there's a bigger chance for a curse to be in them. You also have more flexibility. So, it's probably stronger than +2 cards, +2$, which probably means it'll often dominate.

It also has a duration problem. Because you return the curses to the supply, it can just junk forever. And then there's the self-damaging attack thing. You can't defend against this with reaction cards due to their wording, but your opponents can, and then it still attacks you.

It's not that clear how it plays out though.

Prefecture: Okay... so, it starts with 8VP (assuming 2p). that's better than province. But in a lot of games, it will just go down to zero. I don't think I can make a safe guess how it plays out, but I fear that it might be either too strong or just useless. Could be wrong here.

Reparations/Bastion: No big love, but they both look decent. And again, they might be really fun to play with. I like Bastion a little bit more.

Beachcomb: Political reaction in 3player. Also, you trash multiple cards at once. And if several people want to use the reaction, is it about who discards it first? do you have to ask everyone? For most reactions, the order doesn't matter.  I don't see a fix for the reaction, there might be one, but as is I'd remove it. It causes too many problems.

I also don't like the top part. I consider it a variant of the "name a card, dig for that card, put it into your hand" effect, which I'm sure a lot of people have considered before. And yea, that's not a good idea. Your version is certainly better, because it resolves faster and isn't as powerful, but I still don't like it, mostly because it's so swingy.

One of the cards from my collection post is:

c4 - Action - ?
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card; or look through your discard pile, and put a card from it into your hand.

which I think is the better way to do this (less swingy), but I even consider this version to be probably not worth doing, which is why it's still in the collection post.

Mandate: Another complex card... well, but I don't think we need a Band of Misfits variant... and it's really similar too. Meh.

I couldn't help noticing that the cards seem to be best near the top. the quality progression is sort of like a check mark... is that coincidence? are the top cards better tested?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:46:47 pm by silverspawn »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 02:20:16 pm »

Thank you a lot for going through my cards! I appreciate it.
visual critique: the text seems a bit off on some cards. I think especially the vanilla effects are too small. the exception here is forest hud.
wording: you keep using "every other player" instead of "each other player." any reason? official cards use "each". more specific wording suggestions on the cards.
Yeah, the visual implementation is not the best. I don't design the cards myself like LFN does but I use a simulator which automatically creates a card with a text and image I provide. This is way faster and shall suffice as long as my set is far from being acceptable as a whole.
Thanks for pointing out wordings that are not according to the original. I will fix that with the next update.

Poacher: I think this goes under the "cards that count itself" list. As such, it's good that it's cheap. I like the idea to couple it with an innate +buy early. It looks nice.
Yeah, I'm also pleased how that turned out. It does a pretty good job of early trashing without necessarily having "dead" turns as with Chapel or often Steward.
Builder: I'm... not sure about this. Not because it hurts the attacker, but because it's weird. If the attack is a witch, you can reveal it to get... a necropolis? And why is the "normal" effect a bridge without buy? I guess that "combos" with battlement, but you have to play the terminal first. Also, it's weird that it just plays in your deck.
I'm considering removing the cost restriction for Battlement. Actually, there's not really a point to it other than fear that it might be too strong. You already got attacked when you get it, so you should get a chance to strike back for good.

Tenure: Uh, what? Why? This is political. And it's also strong and swingy. No-one is making political cards. I appreciate breaking conventional rules with reactions that hurt the attacker, but not with political attacks. They're "banned" from dominion for a reason.
It's one of the earlier cards I made. I thought, I want a Swindler variant and it should have something to do with the discard pile. I can probably do better than that. I just recently got to test it with friends and they didn't like it too much. Also, it's often just a useless cantrip in your hand. Why is it still in the set? Uh... because LFN said it might be good?

Town Portal: I've tried giving up your turn in order to help the next turn before, and it didn't work. But you might have the better idea on what kind of card to put it on. Still, it's a tactician that only works when you're being attacked. Not a fan.
I like the reaction but it's probably not a good idea to put it on an alt-VP card because that means that you really don't want to buy it at all if there's no handsize attack on the board. Tunnel sometimes faces a similar problem but its reaction is probably more exciting than Town Portal's.

Blackmail: The attack is not bad, but the card looks too strong, at least to me. Even without the attack, it's +2$, trash a card from your hand, which is really good. With the attack, it's closer to +3$, which is probably stronger than masquerade, or at least about as good. I don't know how much you tested this, but I'd try it with +1$. I'd probably make the attack optional too.
I don't understand how the attack makes it closer to +$3. Initially the attack was optional and I thought it was too good, the attack alone being almost strictly better than Cutpurse and often equally harmful as Milita. That's why I made the attack mandatory so in the later game you wouldn't play it as often. It's still powerful but reasonable, IMO.

Bog Village: There is a misplaced "from" in the text.
I don't like this one. I think a card that can trash from the supply should

a) either do something else that makes it non-trivial, or have another choice instead, and
b) trash two cards, because if you just trash one, one play changes the pile split into your favor, but only if you're the first one to buy this. That sounds unfun and like a first player advantage

and this card does neither. I mean, it can also get the cards back to the supply, but then what's even the point? you remove it, I put it back, then I buy it. and why is the 3$-6$ even there? you already restricted it to non-victory cards. I think you could just do "kingdom card".
Restricting it to "kingdom" cards is a good idea, I'll do that. It's more or less what I had in mind, anyway. If I was to change that card, I would rather adhere to your suggestion a). However, the choice fits the theme of Roots and Renewal and interacts with several cards from the set, like Bastion, Reparations, Reconvert, and Dark Ages cards.
Fraud: Uh. Please don't. I just know this will be frustrating, because the reaction is super powerful on 5$'s, so you always have to evaluate if it's worth risking to buy them. I already dislike this aspect about smugglers, and this is far worse.

You say you're trying variations, so good luck here. The reaction needs to change though.
I guess Fraud is still in the OP because somewhere deep in my mind, there might still be hope for it or one of its decrepit variants. It's really not a nice card, utterly confusing in multiplayer and often frustrating.

Reconvert: I think this is just broken? it's so good on estates. remodel is already okay to turn estates into silver, or develop to topdeck them, and this one gives them into your hand. that's so good. I also don't like how the trash effect is just as good as a remodel.
Yes, it's really good on Estates. Putting the card onto your deck or just gaining it normally might fix it. Remodel and Remake are the obvious cousins to this and I didn't want Reconvert to look too weak next to them but I might have overegged the pudding a bit. I think the trash effect is fine, though, because it's mostly worse than Remodel. There has to be something in the trash for it to work.

Siege: This looks really weak. Even if TfB is present, it also works for your opponent, so you really don't produce resources. And the attack isn't even good. Yea, not feelings this one. I'm pretty sure this is one of the weakest cards in the game.
It IS weak, I agree. I just cling to that card because it's so unique (barring any other fan cards that surely exist somewhere). If I can find something better to do with it or at least one of its effects, or if you have an idea, I'd be happy to try it out.

Dominion doesn’t have enough Masquerade!
I'll skip this one
Hahaha, I knew you would say that. I read your Dominion card ranking thread ;) But you know what most people think about Masquerade.

Benefit: Uh, why the penalty? I don't see a reason why it's there. But also, this can lead to some interactions that I'm pretty sure you don't want to have. I play Benefit, you gain an estate. You discard Benefit, now I gain an Estate. I discard Benefit, now you gain an estate? And that's just 2 player. So, I really only see the top part working here.
I like the penalty and I haven't seen it before. I want Benefit's bottom part to interact with its top part. The problem is rather that the total cost of the gains is too low. I'm trying it with a total cost of $7. That might be more appropriate.

Building Crane: Not seeing it. it's not nearly powerful enough for a one-shot, and the cost reduction... well, I don't think it's enough. A version for 4$ without the reduction would be pretty much strictly better, and I doubt it would be great.
Definitely needs tweaking. One-shots are hard to balance. But I definitely want a card in my set that gets cheaper under certain consitions.

Demagogue: Let's go through the options
-> empty discard pile: witch with +1 card. crazy good.
-> non-empty discard pile: smithy with... a weird effect. the new cards come into play faster, but the current cards much slower.
This is hard to tweak because the attack is semi-random. It gives your opponent a Curse every other time, so I figured it should draw more cards than Witch. On the other hand, when it top-decks your opponent's discard pile it can be anything from helpful over annoying to devastation, depending much on the engine potential on the board. Playtesting continues...

Deposit: This looks neat. It does two very different things, which is courtyarding and trashing, and it can even do both at ones. it looks strong, but not overpowered, and pretty unique. I like it a lot.
Yeah, this is one of the cards I'm most proud of. It works very well, is always useful and seems to be correctly priced.

Juggler: Mh. I'll just read this as a +2 cards, +2$ variant, an effect which, according to Donald (and my intuition), is "strong and uninteresting." The uninteresting part doesn't have to bother you, because this card does a lot an addition. But the powerlevel is questionable. You have more cards, so there's a bigger chance for a curse to be in them. You also have more flexibility. So, it's probably stronger than +2 cards, +2$, which probably means it'll often dominate.

It also has a duration problem. Because you return the curses to the supply, it can just junk forever. And then there's the self-damaging attack thing. You can't defend against this with reaction cards due to their wording, but your opponents can, and then it still attacks you.
Juggler as a Curser is worse than most other Cursers which is why a stronger bonus is in order. Remember, it only gives you +2 Cards and +$2 if you keep a Curse. You're not supposed to "defend" against your own Jugglers. That's also why the persistence of Curses is not a problem but rather a means to balance the card. I find playing with Juggler quite intriguing and fun. Why don't you give it a try ;)

Beachcomb: Political reaction in 3player. Also, you trash multiple cards at once. And if several people want to use the reaction, is it about who discards it first? do you have to ask everyone? For most reactions, the order doesn't matter.  I don't see a fix for the reaction, there might be one, but as is I'd remove it. It causes too many problems.

I also don't like the top part. I consider it a variant of the "name a card, dig for that card, put it into your hand" effect, which I'm sure a lot of people have considered before. And yea, that's not a good idea. Your version is certainly better, because it resolves faster and isn't as powerful, but I still don't like it, mostly because it's so swingy.

One of the cards from my collection post is:

c4 - Action - ?
+1 Action
Choose one: +1 Card; or look through your discard pile, and put a card from it into your hand.

which I think is the better way to do this (less swingy), but I even consider this version to be probably not worth doing, which is why it's still in the collection post.
I actually like Beachcomb for all it does. Yet I have to admit that I didn't test it in a 3+ player game and I know there'd be some trouble. I have to find a solution for the multiplayer problem. I don't want Beachcomb to die :O

Mandate: Another complex card... well, but I don't think we need a Band of Misfits variant... and it's really similar too. Meh.
Again, really hard to balance. Ideally, I'd like Mandate to be fast and simple but also allowing for some high-skilled interaction between Couriers and other cards. Work in progress, basically.

I couldn't help noticing that the cards seem to be best near the top. the quality progression is sort of like a check mark... is that coincidence? are the top cards better tested?
It's coincidence if by "top" you mean the cheaper cards. Maybe those are just easier to design? Or it's because recently I tend to make some swingy attack cards which are naturally moreexpensive as well as difficult to tweak properly.
Check out my fan cards!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.