Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Roots and Renewal  (Read 91937 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Roots and Renewal
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2015, 07:23:50 am »

Just some quick things: Didn't you want to make Tollkeeper do that Cellar thing? Also it says "at the start of your next turn" twice. Also it can do the drawing "while in play", because it's not an attack.

What i wanted to say (and possibly contrary to what i said before, so excuses for that): You might want it to give some small bonus next turn, too, otherwise it's not a terminal Silver worst case, but worse - it's a terminal Silver you can play less often. Maybe a buy? Like:

+2$
At the start of your next turn: +1 Buy and discard down to 5 cards.
---
While this is in play, when another player plays a Treasure costing $3 or more, draw a card.

Also gives it some more uses in case Treasures seem useless. Or use the Cellar effect you meant to do:

+2$
At the start of your next turn: Discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded.
---
While this is in play, wehen another player plays a Treasure costing $3 or more, draw a card.

The Cellar still strikes me as a bit too strong, so i'd personally go with some other bonus. I know i myself suggested not doing any bonus at all, but maybe that wasn't as bright. I think i misjudged how the Duration affects the card's strength now that it doesn't give +$3 anymore.

Also i think limiting Shire to non-VP is reasonable. Not only because it's "nonterminal" Smugglers, but also because stealing away the last of a VP card when you were able to buy two is really nasty.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:33:46 am by Asper »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2015, 09:27:23 am »
+1

Just some quick things: Didn't you want to make Tollkeeper do that Cellar thing? Also it says "at the start of your next turn" twice. Also it can do the drawing "while in play", because it's not an attack.

What i wanted to say (and possibly contrary to what i said before, so excuses for that): You might want it to give some small bonus next turn, too, otherwise it's not a terminal Silver worst case, but worse - it's a terminal Silver you can play less often. Maybe a buy?

According to my notes my (our) last accord was it should discard down to 5 cards next turn, namely because you reminded me that with a Cellar effect it would be imbalanced with respect to the number of players. But you're right it doesn't need the "until your next turn" phrase. I didn't realise Adventures durations have it because they're attacks, not because it's a better wording. Lastly, a +buy next turn seems reasonable.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2015, 10:32:47 am »
+1

Tollkeeper seems very cool. It could be "while in play" without creating rules issues, but keeping it on-play allows you to throne it (good) and also makes the card's effect easier to understand (because you read about drawing cards before you read about discarding down to 5). I'd keep it on-play.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2015, 09:44:04 pm »

Capital
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Card, +2 Actions. You may trash this. If you do, +2 Cards.
In games using this, Basic Victory cards may be played as if they were Action cards for +Cards equal to half of their cost (rounded down).
The Action is a cute counterpoint to Mining Village, but is probably a lot more frustrating than it. +2 Cards has a lot more variable value than +$2.
One of my favorite parts of Dominion is the way Victory cards weigh players down. Games like Ascension, Star Realms, and Thunderstone all fall into the trap of making cards good for player's decks also good for player's scores. This causes the economic snowball to spin out of control and makes deck building stupidly easy. Dominion is fantastic because of how incredibly hard it is to build a deck effectively. Capital destroys that since Provinces are now not only commonly the best source of Victory points, but also powerful Action cards (Hunting Grounds to be precise). Because the effect is tied to Capital I am sure that BM/Province would not be the best thing ever because Capital ensures there will always be a splitter in Kingdoms with this effect. However, that does not change that the ability to draw 4 cards for playing Provinces would make the first player to gain a Province not only the player with the most points but also the player in the best position to gain more Provinces.
I do not like Capital.

Prefect
Types: Action, Reserve
Cost: $5
+4 Cards. Put this on your Tavern mat.
When you buy a Province, you may trash this from your Tavern mat. If you do, put the Province on your Tavern mat and draw 2 extra cards for your next hand.
This seems reasonable, if a little boring. Again, I love the way Victory cards weigh players down and Prefect makes Provinces stronger by removing them immediately and safely from player's decks.

Refugees
+2 Cards. Choose one: +$1; or trash a card from your hand.
Setup: Put this onto the Refugees mat. At the start of each player's turn, if the Refugees piles is empty, put a card from the Refugees mat into the Supply.
I am not compelled by this mechanism and do not think it is worth a whole mat added to the game. The way I see it playing, it will make games end frustratingly early since it makes rush strategies so much easier.

Routing
+1 Action, +$1. Do this until you put a card into your hand, but no more than 4 times: Look at the top card of your deck; discard it or put it into your hand.
I think I agree that this takes quite a bit of processing and a bit of bothersome "push your luck" for little benefit. How about looking at the top 3 and top decking 2?

Tollkeeper
Types: Action, Duration
Cost: $3
+$2. At the start of your next turn: Discard down to 5 cards in hand.
While this is in play, when another player plays a Treasure costing $3 or more, you may draw a card.
This one is pretty cool. Weak enough that it likely won't discourage Silvers, strong enough to be playable after other players have committed to a more money centric strategy. I wonder how often players would avoid playing money centric strategies to counter Tollkeeper.

Benefit
Types: Action, Reaction
Gain 2 cards with a total cost of up to $7. Each other player may gain an Estate.
When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, instead gain a card costing up to $2.
Super board dependent, but likely enables some cool stuff with good cards at the $2 and $3 price points. I like it.

Bog Village
+1 Card, +2 Actions. You may choose one: Trash a Kingdom card from the Supply; or return a card from the Trash to the Supply. Either way, if you returned a copy of Bog Village to the Supply this turn, +$1.
I'm not sure I like the politics and natural luck in the card with players putting Bog Villages into the trash. From experience, the ability to get the "on-trash" effects of cards from the Supply is silly and I recommend wording to get around it.
I am not sure I like the way this can elongate or shorten the game by trashing Kingdom piles indiscriminately. I might like it better if it could only trash and return Bog Villages.

Realm Tax
Types: Treasure
Cost: $0*
If there are at least 4 Actions in play, this is worth $3. Otherwise this is worth $1.
This costs $1 more per Action in play.
Realm Tax should really count "Actions you have in play" rather than any Action in play since it counts other player's Durations as written. This is probably fun on most boards, though there are boards that will make this worthless.

Reparations
Worth $2 per empty Supply pile. When you play this, gain a card costing up to $3.
This is a pretty smart way to use the Supply. I like it.

Shire
Types: Victory, Reaction
Worth 1VP per empty Supply pile.
When another player gains a non-Victory card costing up to $6, you may discard this. If you do, gain a copy of that card.
Worth a significant number of Victory points (likely 2VP) and acts effectively as a Smugglers that can be used on any other player's turns. I think it compares too well to Smugglers, especially in multiplayer. I might consider increasing its cost to $5.

Bastion
Cost: $6
+2 Cards, +1 Action, +$1. Discard a card per empty Supply pile.
Probably not worth buying on any board that might have a Supply pile empty. I don't like how this becomes utterly terrible if two Supply piles empty. I would cap the discard to 1 card if any Supply piles are empty to make its effectiveness more even.

Beachcomb
+1 Card, +1 Action. Look through your discard pile and put a card from it into your hand.
When you would trash a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, discard that card instead.
I think this plays too much better than Laboratory most of the time even without its Reaction. With its Reaction, I think this will be incredibly powerful since it can save Remodeled Provinces. Please get rid of that interaction.

Builder
+$1. All cards cost $1 less this turn, but not less than $1.
When another player plays an Attack, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Battlement from the Battlement pile, putting it on top of your deck.
Battlement
Cost: $3*
+2 Actions. You may gain an Attack.
When you trash this, each other player trashes an Attack he has in play.
(This is not in the Supply.)
I like Battlement, but I don't like Builder. Builder provides a boring cost reduction since it does not give any of the pieces it needs to make cost reduction exciting and caps prices at a different point than any other official card which causes rules confusion.

Building Crane
+3 Cards, +1 Action. Return this to the Supply. If you do, Building Crane cards cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0.
This is interesting. One would probably never buy it without some sort of +Buy being available, but that is common enough to not worry about it.

Demagogue
Types: Action, Attack
+$2. Each other player names a card and discards the top card of his deck. If it's not the named card, he gains a Curse.
I like the idea, mostly because I like naming cards, but I do not like how this encourages a monolithic deck construction for all players. I especially don't like that this discards the card. One is likely to have Copper or Curse the most common card in their deck, so a player will name one of those. If he is wrong, he not only possibly discarded a good card from his deck, he also has to gain a Curse!

Deposit
+1 Buy. Choose one: Set a Treasure from your hand onto your Deposit mat; or play any number of cards from your Deposit mat twice each in any order.
This is probably a game decider here since it gives a +Buy. I think I would be more interested if this did not come with the +Buy packaged onto it, but maybe that would make it too weak. I think most of the time players will only store Coppers and then play 4 of them at once for a double Province turn later.

Draft Horses
+$1. Look through your discard pile. Reveal up to 3 Actions from your discard pile and hand and put them on top of your deck in any order.
I do not think that being able to top deck Actions from your hand is necessary. It would be simpler and largely the same for only digging through the discard pile. I like this one.

Juggler
+2 Cards. Each player (including you) may discard a Curse. If he didn't, he gains a Curse, putting it into his hand. You may return a Curse from your hand to the Supply. If you didn't, +$2.
Interesting. I cannot really say much else about it without playing it.

Money Launderer
Cost: $2
+1 Action. Gain 2 Coppers, putting them into your hand. At the start of Clean-Up this turn, return any number of Coppers from your hand to the Supply. Coppers cost $1 more this turn.
I think the card would look a lot cleaner if its cost increment was a "while this is in play" effect instead since it would get a horizontal rule.
I would increment the cost of Coppers by $2 to make those trash-for-benefit shenanigans more prevalent. I think it would be too hard to play a million Money Launderers.

Mediator
Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. For each card revealed, if it is an... Action card: +1 Action. Treasure card: take a Coin token. Victory card, +1VP. Put one into your hand and discard the other.
This seems pretty alright. I don't like that it uses Coin tokens from Guilds and VP tokens from Prosperity.

Poacher
Cost: $2
+1 Card, +1 Action. Discard any number of Poachers. For each Poacher discarded: +2 Cards and trash a card from your hand.
Setup: Replace one of each player's starting Estates or Shelters with a Forest Hut.
Forest Hut
Types: Action, Shelter
Cost: $1
+1 Action, +1 Buy. You may discard a card. If you do, +$1.
I do not like the Shelter. It is a Dark Ages thing and replacing one of the other Shelters with a Forest Hut seems like a weird starting game decision. I think Poacher is too weak to be useful, even with the ability to open with 2 of them.

Provisioner
Gain a Silver. Play any number of Treasures from your hand. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.
When you gain this, you may set aside a Copper you have in play. At the start of your next turn, play it.
This is almost certainly too strong. Its effect for you is better than Vault and that card affords a benefit to other players to make it weaker!

Reconvert
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: +Card; or +Actions; or +$. You get the choice equal to the cost in $ of the trashed card.
Flexible and likely useful in a variety of circumstances. Not exciting, but likely effective.

Robber Knight
Types: Action, Looter
Cost: $3+
+2 Actions. Gain a Ruins. If you do, gain a Gold.
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, look through your discard pile and trash a card from it.
Weird card. I don't think it would be a lot of fun since you would be left with a high variance deck of Ruins that you can only play by drawing them with your Robber Knight and Golds.
I bet whoever happened to have a handful of Golds collide late in the shuffle would end up winning by overpaying for Robber Knight and getting to trash most of their Ruins and possibly some other junk.

Royalty
Each other player reveals cards from their deck until he reveals an Action or Treasure costing $2 or more. He discards it and puts the rest back on top in any order they choose. Gain an Action or Treasure costing up to $2 more than one of the discarded cards.
I would let the player of Royalty gain a "non-Victory card" rather than "an Action or Treasure." This will always be able to gain at least a $4 but will often be hitting $3+ cards and thus gaining $5, likely often enough to make Royalty worth $5.
Unique and powerful gainer Attack.

Sentinel
+2 Cards. Put up to 2 cards from your hand on top of your deck. Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. Trash any number of them and put the rest back in any order.
Strength through flexibility. I am certain this is a strong card but you cannot ask me to be excited about it.

Suburb
+2 Actions, +1 Buy, +$1.
When you discard this other than during Clean-Up, you may set it aside. If you do, at the start of your next turn, put it into your hand.
This is a very weak splitter effect that comes with a Reaction to make it better. I think the Reaction could trigger whenever it was discarded "except from Play" and it would still be reasonable.

Valorize
Cost: $7
Put a Valorize token on a Kingdom pile. Trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.
A card's cost is increased by $1 per Valorize token on its Supply pile.
I can understand how this would be super powerful. If you required that the Valorize token be placed upon the card trashed or gained you might be able to limit its power effectively enough.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2015, 08:15:24 am »
+3

Thank you for the elaborate reply, Fragasnap. I am pissed because I have to write my replies to you all over because I accidentally deleted a lot of text in one misclick but I will try to remain calm and friendly. It’s got nothing to do with you ;)

Capital
The Action is a cute counterpoint to Mining Village, but is probably a lot more frustrating than it. +2 Cards has a lot more variable value than +$2.
One of my favorite parts of Dominion is the way Victory cards weigh players down. Games like Ascension, Star Realms, and Thunderstone all fall into the trap of making cards good for player's decks also good for player's scores. This causes the economic snowball to spin out of control and makes deck building stupidly easy. Dominion is fantastic because of how incredibly hard it is to build a deck effectively. Capital destroys that since Provinces are now not only commonly the best source of Victory points, but also powerful Action cards (Hunting Grounds to be precise). Because the effect is tied to Capital I am sure that BM/Province would not be the best thing ever because Capital ensures there will always be a splitter in Kingdoms with this effect. However, that does not change that the ability to draw 4 cards for playing Provinces would make the first player to gain a Province not only the player with the most points but also the player in the best position to gain more Provinces.
I do not like Capital.
Fair enough, +4 Cards on a Province is a huge deal. The main point of Capital for me is that it gives Estates the ability to be played for +1 Card to modify the opening turns. Capital’s “in games using this” effect could just be limited to that. The +2 Cards bonus is arbitrary and merely replacing its former effect “You may gain a Victory card costing up to $1 per Action card you have in play” which was ridiculous. I don’t see how +2 Cards would be frustrating on a village, though.

Prefect
This seems reasonable, if a little boring. Again, I love the way Victory cards weigh players down and Prefect makes Provinces stronger by removing them immediately and safely from player's decks.
I suppose you don’t like Explorer and Tournament, or Crossroads. I haven’t really much to say about this version of Prefect, as it hasn’t been tested, other than it might be too easy/automatic to do its thing.

Refugees
I am not compelled by this mechanism and do not think it is worth a whole mat added to the game. The way I see it playing, it will make games end frustratingly early since it makes rush strategies so much easier.
I just don’t know where else to put the Refugees not-in-the-Supply. I don’t want them in the trash at the start of the game, I can’t use Tavern mats… a Refugees mat seemed like the easiest thing to me. However, it’s really just any place the card text can refer to. You can put the surplus Refugees anywhere you like as long as they are visibly not in the Supply. Put them on the Trade Route mat, it doesn’t matter.

Routing
I think I agree that this takes quite a bit of processing and a bit of bothersome "push your luck" for little benefit. How about looking at the top 3 and top decking 2?
This would be too similar to several fan cards I’ve seen. Like I said before, I’ll either do my own unique version, or none :P

Tollkeeper
This one is pretty cool. Weak enough that it likely won't discourage Silvers, strong enough to be playable after other players have committed to a more money centric strategy. I wonder how often players would avoid playing money centric strategies to counter Tollkeeper.
This cards needs to be tested on games with 3 or more players. I would be happy to get any support, as I mostly get to play with only 1 person.

Benefit
Super board dependent, but likely enables some cool stuff with good cards at the $2 and $3 price points. I like it.
It’s one of my own favourite cards, especially with the new reaction. I’ve had Benefit in a couple of games and there has been a place for it in every deck. It’s probably only bad as a BM enabler.

Bog Village
I'm not sure I like the politics and natural luck in the card with players putting Bog Villages into the trash. From experience, the ability to get the "on-trash" effects of cards from the Supply is silly and I recommend wording to get around it.
I am not sure I like the way this can elongate or shorten the game by trashing Kingdom piles indiscriminately. I might like it better if it could only trash and return Bog Villages.
I don’t see how Bog Village is luck dependent, even in multiplayer games. Why would you trash a BV from the Supply if you cannot ensure you return it within the same turn?
Harnessing on-trash bonuses from the Supply may be silly but also a lot of fun. And it doesn’t seem more game changing to me than, say, Watchtower.

Realm Tax
Realm Tax should really count "Actions you have in play" rather than any Action in play since it counts other player's Durations as written. This is probably fun on most boards, though there are boards that will make this worthless.
Realm Tax’s cost, other than Peddler’s, is always dependent on actions in play. I would need to specify it only counts actions of the active player like, “This costs $1 more per Action card, the current/active player has in play”, which sounds awkward. Counting all actions in play seems much simpler and allows for some cute interactions. I like the way it makes you think more carefully about Durations. The top part’s wording is to be in accordance with the bottom part.

Shire
Worth a significant number of Victory points (likely 2VP) and acts effectively as a Smugglers that can be used on any other player's turns. I think it compares too well to Smugglers, especially in multiplayer. I might consider increasing its cost to $5.
It’s no surprise it compares favourably to Smugglers. Smugglers is slow (it doesn’t help your current turn), unreliable, imbalanced in multiplayer, not exactly popular, and it costs $1 less. Still there’s one thing about Shire that everybody seems to miss: you have to use Shire immediately after another player gains a card you want, while Smugglers at least gives you a choice among all the cards the player to your right gained last turn.

Bastion
Probably not worth buying on any board that might have a Supply pile empty. I don't like how this becomes utterly terrible if two Supply piles empty. I would cap the discard to 1 card if any Supply piles are empty to make its effectiveness more even.
I’ve played several games with Bastion and it’s really powerful and fast. Those games never ended on piles because Bastion pushes them towards Provinces. Even if there’s one pile empty (usually the Bastion pile), it’s still strong. You are underestimating the card.

Beachcomb
I think this plays too much better than Laboratory most of the time even without its Reaction. With its Reaction, I think this will be incredibly powerful since it can save Remodeled Provinces. Please get rid of that interaction.
Remodel, and most other trash-for-benefit cards, read “gain a card costing up to X more than the trashed card.” As far as I understand it, this means if you use Beachcomb to discard the card you would have trashed with Remodel, you don’t gain a card. Beachcomb is supposed to be a counter to the very unpopular family of trashing attacks.
Beachcomb cycles less than Lab and if there’s no discard pile, it just sucks. Being a cantrip doesn’t help with that. Still, like Hunting Party, it’s often better than Lab but not always, so it costs $5.

Builder
Battlement
I like Battlement, but I don't like Builder. Builder provides a boring cost reduction since it does not give any of the pieces it needs to make cost reduction exciting and caps prices at a different point than any other official card which causes rules confusion.
I’m not happy with Builder’s top part. It’s supposed to be something simple and short. The problem is, those effects are already taken in various forms. I’m considering putting Refugees’ top part, that no one ever talks about, onto Builder if Refugees doesn’t work out because it’s actually really good.

Building Crane
This is interesting. One would probably never buy it without some sort of +Buy being available, but that is common enough to not worry about it.
Yeah, BC seems a little too weak to me but I can’t think of any other, simple and fitting bonus (other than +buy) on top of +3 Cards, +1 Action. +4 Cards, +1 Action seems too ridiculous.

Demagogue
I like the idea, mostly because I like naming cards, but I do not like how this encourages a monolithic deck construction for all players. I especially don't like that this discards the card. One is likely to have Copper or Curse the most common card in their deck, so a player will name one of those. If he is wrong, he not only possibly discarded a good card from his deck, he also has to gain a Curse!
Too bad you don’t like the idea but the general opinion on Demagogue is positive. It’s certainly more fun than Sea Hag!

Deposit
This is probably a game decider here since it gives a +Buy. I think I would be more interested if this did not come with the +Buy packaged onto it, but maybe that would make it too weak. I think most of the time players will only store Coppers and then play 4 of them at once for a double Province turn later.
Deposit is soooo slow and weak. Most of the time, it just reads “+1 Buy, trash a Copper from your hand.” I want it to be explosive to account for that. Players usually cash in their Deposits earlier to reach other critical price points. It’s harder to pull off a single megaturn with Deposit compared to Bridge. And when you do, Deposit discharges itself and floods your deck with Treasures (Coppers!) which makes it impossible to do this consistently.

Draft Horses
I do not think that being able to top deck Actions from your hand is necessary. It would be simpler and largely the same for only digging through the discard pile. I like this one.
Maybe you don’t mind terminal collision as much as I do but it’s cool you like it anyway!

Money Launderer
I think the card would look a lot cleaner if its cost increment was a "while this is in play" effect instead since it would get a horizontal rule.
I would increment the cost of Coppers by $2 to make those trash-for-benefit shenanigans more prevalent. I think it would be too hard to play a million Money Launderers.
It’s written like this so the cost increase for Copper can be Throned but so far it was never relevant. I suppose it should increase its cost by $2 and do so while it’s in play. Most people would prefer it that way.

Mediator
This seems pretty alright. I don't like that it uses Coin tokens from Guilds and VP tokens from Prosperity.
This is my fan set. I do what I like. :) No seriously, why would I not use all the resources the original game and expansions provide and utilise their full potential?

Poacher
Forest Hut
I do not like the Shelter. It is a Dark Ages thing and replacing one of the other Shelters with a Forest Hut seems like a weird starting game decision. I think Poacher is too weak to be useful, even with the ability to open with 2 of them.
What you do is you open with 3 Poachers (Forest Hut helps you do that) and then you have super-labs plus non-terminal trashing, both effects being conditional. I can see people not liking it but it’s certainly not weak.

Provisioner
This is almost certainly too strong. Its effect for you is better than Vault and that card affords a benefit to other players to make it weaker!
Yeah it’s pretty powerful! I might limit it to only play one Treasure from your hand. I need to test it more though because I have a theory that Provisioner will choke in almost every deck eventually. Provisioner+BM might just stall when you start greening. I may be mistaken.

Robber Knight
Weird card. I don't think it would be a lot of fun since you would be left with a high variance deck of Ruins that you can only play by drawing them with your Robber Knight and Golds.
I bet whoever happened to have a handful of Golds collide late in the shuffle would end up winning by overpaying for Robber Knight and getting to trash most of their Ruins and possibly some other junk.
Hmm other people say Robber Knight is (or seems) fun. I personally think it is! Dominion is always luck dependent and sometimes early shuffle luck can be game deciding. Robber Knight doesn’t break new grounds here.

Royalty
I would let the player of Royalty gain a "non-Victory card" rather than "an Action or Treasure." This will always be able to gain at least a $4 but will often be hitting $3+ cards and thus gaining $5, likely often enough to make Royalty worth $5.
“Non-Victory card” is shorter so why didn’t I use that? I don’t know but I will change it.

Let’s compare Royalty to Jester:
Royalty gives no on-play bonus. Jester gives +$2.
Royalty might have a “Rabble” effect on other players. Jester always discards the top card regardless whether it’s of good or bad.
Royalty does not junk other players. Jester might give out Curses or other bad cards.
Most importantly: Royalty only gains one card. Jester may gain as many cards as there are players!

To me this looks like Royalty is sufficiently worse than Jester to be worth $4. Granted, it’s still a powerful card for $4 but they can’t all be the worst $4 ever ;)

Suburb
This is a very weak splitter effect that comes with a Reaction to make it better. I think the Reaction could trigger whenever it was discarded "except from Play" and it would still be reasonable.
The only case where that matter would be if you drew dead a Suburb and discard it with your other hand cards during Clean-up, in which case you could also set it aside with your suggestion. Am I correct? It seems worthwhile to make it a little better.

Valorize
I can understand how this would be super powerful. If you required that the Valorize token be placed upon the card trashed or gained you might be able to limit its power effectively enough.
Interesting idea, although I would have to think of a way to implement this cleanly. Putting the token on the pile of the trashed card (if there is any!) seems awkward. Putting it on the pile of the gained card would require more wordy restrictions because Valorize can gain any card from the Supply but put tokens only on Kingdom piles.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2015, 08:21:55 am »

Suburb
+2 Actions, +1 Buy, +$1.
When you discard this other than during Clean-Up, you may set it aside. If you do, at the start of your next turn, put it into your hand.

It's a Village for $3 that, instead of drawing a card, gives +1$ and a buy. Like its bigger brother Festival, Suburb gets weakened by not drawing a card, but in turn delivers the buy often crucial to engines. I think even without the reaction, this would be okay for $3 (though probably not very good). Your suggestion makes Suburb a Reserve on top of that: Whenever i draw it without a terminal to play, i can just discard it during cleanup, increase my handsize and keep on doing that until i reach a terminal to collide with. Consider this variant:

Suburb, $3
Choose one:
+1 Action, Put this on your tavern mat;
+1$
+1 Buy
+2 Actions
---
At the start of your turn, you may call this, to put it in your hand.

Does the same for many, many cases. It's hardly reasonable for $3, and similar to Coin of the Realm on top of it.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2015, 08:27:41 am »

It's a Village for $3 that, instead of drawing a card, gives +1$ and a buy. Like its bigger brother Festival, Suburb gets weakened by not drawing a card, but in turn delivers the buy often crucial to engines. I think even without the reaction, this would be okay for $3 (though probably not very good). Your suggestion makes Suburb a Reserve on top of that: Whenever i draw it without a terminal to play, i can just discard it during cleanup, increase my handsize and keep on doing that until i reach a terminal to collide with. Consider this variant:

Suburb, $3
Choose one:
+1 Action, Put this on your tavern mat;
+1$
+1 Buy
+2 Actions
---

Does the same for many, many cases. It's hardly reasonable for $3, and similar to Coin of the Realm on top of it.

Just to make it more well-arranged:

Suburb, $3, Action/ Reserve
Choose one: +1 Action, Put this on your tavern mat; or +2 Actions, +1 Buy, +$1.

Yes it is similar to CotR. It's a neat alternative idea but Suburb is (also) supposed to be a counter to discard attacks. I should probably just leave it as-is.
Check out my fan cards!

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2015, 10:19:10 am »

Capital
The Action is a cute counterpoint to Mining Village, but is probably a lot more frustrating than it. +2 Cards has a lot more variable value than +$2...
...The +2 Cards bonus is arbitrary and merely replacing its former effect “You may gain a Victory card costing up to $1 per Action card you have in play” which was ridiculous. I don’t see how +2 Cards would be frustrating on a village, though.
+$2 is +$2. You always know exactly what you're getting. +2 Cards can be basically anything. Often when you trash Capital it will be because you are hunting for an Action to play with your +Actions, but you have no guarantee that you will draw one. I might recommend having the card dig for an Action, but that takes so many words and is not necessarily much better since you don't know what you will find.

Prefect
I suppose you don’t like Explorer and Tournament, or Crossroads. I haven’t really much to say about this version of Prefect, as it hasn’t been tested, other than it might be too easy/automatic to do its thing.
Explorer, Tournament, Crossroads, Cellar, Island, Store Room, Warehouse, Vault, Secret Chamber and so on are all ways you can deal with Victory cards in your deck. I don't have a problem with being able to work around Victory card, I have a problem with how easy Prefect makes it since unlike Island and all these other cards, you don't have to line Province up with it first.

Tollkeeper
This cards needs to be tested on games with 3 or more players. I would be happy to get any support, as I mostly get to play with only 1 person.
How do you usually get play testing? If you have some sort of online solution I might consider joining.

Bog Village
I don’t see how Bog Village is luck dependent, even in multiplayer games. Why would you trash a BV from the Supply if you cannot ensure you return it within the same turn?
Harnessing on-trash bonuses from the Supply may be silly but also a lot of fun. And it doesn’t seem more game changing to me than, say, Watchtower.
With Bog Village, you can immediately trash a Feodum from the Supply to gain 3 Silvers or a Cultist to make it a super-duper Laboratory.
With Watchtower, you have to have Watchtowers (which is harder than having Bog Villages since Watchtower is terminal), not play the Watchtower so it is in your hand, and then buy a Feodum to trash it to gain 3 Silvers (or buy a Cultist to uselessly draw 3 cards).
I do not believe that these two events are comparable in power.

Bog Village possibly becomes luck dependent based upon what is in the Trash and Supply when your turn starts. I think I am overestimating how often that will matter.

Realm Tax
Realm Tax’s cost, other than Peddler’s, is always dependent on actions in play. I would need to specify it only counts actions of the active player like, “This costs $1 more per Action card, the current/active player has in play”, which sounds awkward. Counting all actions in play seems much simpler and allows for some cute interactions. I like the way it makes you think more carefully about Durations. The top part’s wording is to be in accordance with the bottom part.
Only counting the cards you have in play is standard wording.
Peddler
Cost: $8*
+1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.
During your Buy phase, this costs $2 less per Action card you have in play, but not less than $0.
Horn of Plenty
$0. When you play this, gain a card costing up to $1 per differently named card you have in play, counting this. If it's a Victory card, trash this.

Provisioner
Yeah it’s pretty powerful! I might limit it to only play one Treasure from your hand. I need to test it more though because I have a theory that Provisioner will choke in almost every deck eventually. Provisioner+BM might just stall when you start greening. I may be mistaken.
Won't Provisioner prevent its own stalling out since it keeps giving you Silvers?

Beachcomb
Remodel, and most other trash-for-benefit cards, read “gain a card costing up to X more than the trashed card.” As far as I understand it, this means if you use Beachcomb to discard the card you would have trashed with Remodel, you don’t gain a card. Beachcomb is supposed to be a counter to the very unpopular family of trashing attacks.
Beachcomb cycles less than Lab and if there’s no discard pile, it just sucks. Being a cantrip doesn’t help with that. Still, like Hunting Party, it’s often better than Lab but not always, so it costs $5.
True: It reacts to "when you would trash." I was not paying close enough attention.

Royalty
“Non-Victory card” is shorter so why didn’t I use that? I don’t know but I will change it.

Let’s compare Royalty to Jester:
Royalty gives no on-play bonus. Jester gives +$2.
Royalty might have a “Rabble” effect on other players. Jester always discards the top card regardless whether it’s of good or bad.
Royalty does not junk other players. Jester might give out Curses or other bad cards.
Most importantly: Royalty only gains one card. Jester may gain as many cards as there are players!

To me this looks like Royalty is sufficiently worse than Jester to be worth $4. Granted, it’s still a powerful card for $4 but they can’t all be the worst $4 ever ;)
Jester flips a card and, whatever that is, someone gets it. Royalty hunts to find a valuable card and then gives the owner of it free choice of any (non-Victory) card that costs $2 more than it. I think Royalty will quite often give the player of it free reign to gain $5 cards and that flexibility of choice makes it a whole lot stronger than Jester's "everyone probably gets a Copper."

Suburb
+2 Actions, +1 Buy, +$1.
...Does the same for many, many cases. It's hardly reasonable for $3, and similar to Coin of the Realm on top of it.
With Coin of the Realm, you get $1 non-terminally and then get to call it later for effectively +3 Actions. To "put Suburb onto your Tavern mat" you have to pay for it first in hand-size and coin. I don't know if it would be unreasonable, but having played with a +2 Actions, +1 Buy, +$1 at a cost of $3, I can confirm that this vanilla splitter effect is nothing to write home about.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2015, 11:13:13 am »

Your concerns about most cards make sense. Some of them, with respect to power level, are assumptions that might change the more you experience a card for yourself. I am also willing to change my cards, particularly Royalty, if they turn out to be overpowered or otherwise problematic. Royalty might only gain a card sharing a type with a card it hit, so it would be terrible when it hit Silvers. I don't know... Royalty is complicated as it does multiple things and does not want to be too good at either.
I might change Prefect in a way that it's harder to line it up with a Province but I like the general idea of it.

About Realm Tax, here's an example of why the wording of Peddler and HoP doesn't always work:
I have 3 Actions in play, the third being Swindler. You trash the top card of your deck which is a Realm Tax. You have 0 Actions in play, so it costs 0. I want to buy a Realm Tax in the same turn and it costs $3 for me. It would have a different cost for the active player than for the other players. It would get even more confusing with an attack like Royalty. I find this more bothersome than counting the actions of other players which would be a unique player interaction.
Check out my fan cards!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2015, 06:24:06 pm »

Suburb
+2 Actions, +1 Buy, +$1.
...Does the same for many, many cases. It's hardly reasonable for $3, and similar to Coin of the Realm on top of it.
With Coin of the Realm, you get $1 non-terminally and then get to call it later for effectively +3 Actions. To "put Suburb onto your Tavern mat" you have to pay for it first in hand-size and coin. I don't know if it would be unreasonable, but having played with a +2 Actions, +1 Buy, +$1 at a cost of $3, I can confirm that this vanilla splitter effect is nothing to write home about.

Your suggestion was that you can add Suburb to your next hand if you didn't play it. As it is not topdecked, but set aside and added, it does not affect your action count or hand size besides on the first turn you draw it (like a nonterminal Reserve would). I really, really don't get where "you have to pay for it first in hand-size and coin" comes from. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a good 3$, but it's a nice engine component (for those of us who like engines) and certainly can do with a little extra. That extra doesn't have to be something as big as making it a pseudo-Reserve, though.

Edit: I see you did a similar thing with your own Leper Village, which also has a bonus that overdoes it. Not all cards can be powerhouses. Village and Festival aren't on their own, but they are very useful when used correctly.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:48:29 am by Asper »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 03, 2015, 06:13:20 am »
+1

I noticed my set is starting to bust at the seams, hence I will sort out some cards and put them in an extra thread. Roots and Renewal should only contain cards that at least fit one of the themes or fill in a gap (so the set has a good number of draw cards, villages, attacks etc.).

The following cards will be taken out of the set: Demagogue, Draft Horses, Mediator, Prefect, Routing, Suburb (mainly because I have too many villages, see below) and Tollkeeper. I'm adding two more villages: Orphanage and Manor, whereas the latter is a replacement for Capital. It still does basically the same thing with Estates which is all I care about. But the rest of you was right in that being able to play a Province as Hunting Grounds is pretty bonkers.

Hmm, Manor might also say "You may gain an Estate. If you do, play it." Otherwise it's pretty weak for a village+.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:14:46 am by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 03, 2015, 06:27:12 am »

Hmm, Manor might also say "You may gain an Estate. If you do, play it." Otherwise it's pretty weak for a village+.
Is it?  It feels pretty decent to me.  A village which is your choice of 3 things - vanilla Village, point-gaining Lab, point-gaining Market Square.  In that late game that feels pretty strong to me, I dunno.  I don't think it's OP, but I wouldn't say it's weak.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2015, 06:27:17 am »

I want to apply Fragasnap's suggestion for Money Lender and see if you can actually get the trash-Copper-for-benefit thing to work this way.

Check out my fan cards!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2015, 09:15:13 am »

I want to apply Fragasnap's suggestion for Money Lender and see if you can actually get the trash-Copper-for-benefit thing to work this way.

The funny thing is, Money Lender actually is trash-Copper-for-benefit.

Also, i allready mentioned this to you, but i like Orphanage and how bittersweetly antithematic it is to Prosperity, the set where VP tokens are from. I am still not sure whether being able to gain a Silver to the top of your deck for less than a normal Silver isn't too good, but then again you additionally gain that Necropolis+ (which, on the other hand, suffers less from its "only once per turn" VP gaining in a treasure deck where you're not going to play multiple per turn anyhow). So, not sure whether the use case "Orphanage supported big Money" is a thing, but probably not.In general, i'm not sure how strong the card is, but given that gain and play effect don't necessarily come together, it might be fine.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2015, 09:24:24 am »

I personally would have removed the "first time" thing, I'm not sure it brings much to the game, and I find rather funny the silver on top of your deck cheaper than a silver, though you would obviously buy silver over this sometimes because you don't always need that silver flood... but it's a fine card !

Manor is truly cool, but I would slightly reword it, for instance for Inheritance (which may be broken with this by the way).
Maybe : "Estates are action/victory cards with no action effect by default. When you play an estate, choose one first : +1 card or +1 buy."
EDIT : Well, I'd actually make Estates effects just a bit stronger just in case you draw them with no village (and no manor) for instance. Such as "+2 cards discard a card" (I don't think it would be utterly broken, would it ?) or "+1 buy +$1", because buys love $, too. And would mean 5/3 openings for everyone...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 09:28:19 am by ChocophileBenj »
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

horatio83

• Baron
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2015, 09:24:36 am »

First of all, I like Orphanage. Far too few fan cards which use coin and VP tokens so thumbs up.  :)

Second, Orphanage feels good without the gain bonus. If you buy it during the first two moves I guess you will play it on average 6-8 times (anything but an educated guess, I never thought about how often you shuffle on average) so it is a no-brainer to buy one early.

Third, with the gain bonus the card is IMO overpowered and becomes even more of a forced buy as you increase your money next turn by 1-2. If you started with 2/5 you can buy a 6$ card at move 2 and if you start with 3/4 you can buy a 5$ or 6$ (if the silver substitutes an estate/shelter) card at move two if you purchase orphange at move 1.

I don't think that there should be a 2$ card which is an automatic buy (it might be worthwhile to point out that this is different from Baker which passively modifies the two opening moves) on the first move in 50% of the games and independent of the deck (there are rarely decks in which there are no decent 5$ cards).
So you might wanna consider to get rid of the silver gain (or change it such that the gained silver is not top-decked).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 09:28:04 am by horatio83 »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 04, 2015, 02:52:16 pm »

First of all, I like Orphanage. Far too few fan cards which use coin and VP tokens so thumbs up.  :)

Second, Orphanage feels good without the gain bonus. If you buy it during the first two moves I guess you will play it on average 6-8 times (anything but an educated guess, I never thought about how often you shuffle on average) so it is a no-brainer to buy one early.

Third, with the gain bonus the card is IMO overpowered and becomes even more of a forced buy as you increase your money next turn by 1-2. If you started with 2/5 you can buy a 6$ card at move 2 and if you start with 3/4 you can buy a 5$ or 6$ (if the silver substitutes an estate/shelter) card at move two if you purchase orphange at move 1.

I don't think that there should be a 2$ card which is an automatic buy (it might be worthwhile to point out that this is different from Baker which passively modifies the two opening moves) on the first move in 50% of the games and independent of the deck (there are rarely decks in which there are no decent 5$ cards).
So you might wanna consider to get rid of the silver gain (or change it such that the gained silver is not top-decked).

Thanks for the feedback. I am sure Orphanage is too weak without an on-gain bonus. I definitely want something that topdecks a Silver on-gain. With that said, I totally missed how overpowered that is in a 2-5 (even a 3-4) opening so I agree with you it's too powerful in the opening. With such a good on-gain bonus, it should at least cost 3 and that's what I will try. The on-play effect is certainly too weak for a $3-cost, and that's good because I want players to buy Orphanage to harness its on-gain bonus (but not for that).

I personally would have removed the "first time" thing, I'm not sure it brings much to the game, and I find rather funny the silver on top of your deck cheaper than a silver, though you would obviously buy silver over this sometimes because you don't always need that silver flood... but it's a fine card !

Manor is truly cool, but I would slightly reword it, for instance for Inheritance (which may be broken with this by the way).
Maybe : "Estates are action/victory cards with no action effect by default. When you play an estate, choose one first : +1 card or +1 buy."
EDIT : Well, I'd actually make Estates effects just a bit stronger just in case you draw them with no village (and no manor) for instance. Such as "+2 cards discard a card" (I don't think it would be utterly broken, would it ?) or "+1 buy +$1", because buys love $, too. And would mean 5/3 openings for everyone...

Orphanage needs the "first time" clause because I consider a non-terminal and unconditional VP gainer bad design.

You are right about Manor. Its predecessor, Capital, had the wording "You may play Estates as if they were Action cards, ..." to avoid confusion with Inheritance and I should revert to that. Otoh, the wording you suggested isn't bad either.
Check out my fan cards!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 05, 2015, 09:38:14 am »

Okay, so Orphanage needs to cost at least $3. Maybe the on-gain bonus alone even justifies a cost of $4 but then its on-play effect would feel pretty awful. I am reluctant to make it a regular village, though. We will just test it like this for now and see whether it's overpowered in the opening.

When you play an inherited Estate with Manor in the game, with this wording, I think what happens is you choose +1 Card or +1 Buy first and then do what the inherited Estate does. Or do you get to choose the order in which you execute those two thngs?

Check out my fan cards!

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 05, 2015, 01:08:57 pm »

When you play an inherited Estate with Manor in the game, with this wording, I think what happens is you choose +1 Card or +1 Buy first and then do what the inherited Estate does. Or do you get to choose the order in which you execute those two thngs?
I think you would do the +1 Card or whatever first.  But I think you want it to become an Action type as well, right?

So the text you want might be "In games using this, Estates gain the Action type, and may be played for your choice of +1 Card or +1 Buy."  For the sake of things like Ironworks.  (Or do you want them not to be Action-Victory?)
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

horatio83

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 05, 2015, 01:36:17 pm »

Orphanage needs the "first time" clause because I consider a non-terminal and unconditional VP gainer bad design.
May I ask why? I recently designed such a card (Grand Market variant that costs 8$) and while I am not sure about its proper price of it I fail to see why this should in general be a problem.
I would e.g. not claim that a card which converts all 3/4 openings into 3/5-6 openings is a bad design. I think it is pretty strong and definitely not appropriate for Orphanage as it makes the first move of 5/12 of all games with Orphanage scripted ... but the idea in and of itself is fine.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 05, 2015, 01:42:45 pm »

I think you would do the +1 Card or whatever first.  But I think you want it to become an Action type as well, right?

So the text you want might be "In games using this, Estates gain the Action type, and may be played for your choice of +1 Card or +1 Buy."  For the sake of things like Ironworks.  (Or do you want them not to be Action-Victory?)

I think I don't want them to be Action/Victory cards to limit their interactions with cards that refer to Action cards.
Check out my fan cards!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2015, 01:53:34 pm »
+1

May I ask why? I recently designed such a card (Grand Market variant that costs 8$) and while I am not sure about its proper price of it I fail to see why this should in general be a problem.

It's a problem because it can create situations in which no player has an incentive to ever end the game.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2015, 02:17:53 pm »

It's a problem because it can create situations in which no player has an incentive to ever end the game.

Precisely. Even if such a situation rarely occurs, it still would be way too easy to amass VP this way.
Check out my fan cards!

horatio83

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2015, 02:28:20 pm »

Precisely. Even if such a situation rarely occurs, it still would be way too easy to amass VP this way.
I designed my Grand Market variant that grants a VP token at a price of 8 and never considered to make a cheap cantrip VP gainer. So while this theoretical possibility exists it is practially irrelevant if the respective card is expensive enough (in the case of my card it has to be directly compared with Province).
Furthermore Goons is terminal and frequently leads to massive VP token piles. Not just in theory but in practice. Would you also call Goons a bad design?

My problem with your card is ironically precisely that it will gift the player who buys it at turn 1 far too many VP tokens (probably more than my 8 card will in an average game) over the course of the game which makes it IMO an automatic buy.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:32:58 pm by horatio83 »

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2015, 02:33:26 pm »

I designed my Grand Market variant that grants a VP token at a price of 8 and never considered to make a cheap cantrip VP gainer. So while this theoretical possibility exists it is practially irrelevant if the respective card is expensive enough (in the case of my card it has to be directly compared with Province).
Furthermore Goons is terminal and frequently leads to massive VP token piles. Would you also call Goons a bad design?

My problem with your card is ironically precisely that it will gift the player who buys it at turn 1 far too many VP tokens (probably more than my 8 card will in an average game) over the course of the game which makes it IMO an automatic buy.

You may be right. We will see after testing. Orphanage is still untested.
Check out my fan cards!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.