Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Curses  (Read 2765 times)

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Curses
« on: December 10, 2011, 02:53:33 pm »

So this isn't really a question but more of a reminiscence post. When my family first bought Dominion we didn't completely read the rules regarding Curses. As a result we erroneously thought that a curse could be given at any time, just by using a plus buy--to other players. We also thought that when a curse came up in your pile you could give it to any other player of your choosing.

Example:

Player 1 has 2 buys, $6. Buys a gold and a curse, gives the curse to Player 2.

Player 2's hand includes estate, gold, silver, curse, smithy. Player 2 gives the in-hand curse to Player 3).

It actually made curses a very different and very dynamic part of the game. All of a sudden cursing other people became very dangerous because they would end up giving the curses back to you when they came up in opponents' hands.

This shows the importance of reading the rulebook all the way through, but also shows how house rules can add a fun twist. We haven't played that way in a long time, but I think I might bring it back to life for a night some time soon.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Curses
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 05:26:24 pm »

No offence but I really don't understand why so many people have been confused about Curses in this way. Would you mind explaining what made you think they worked like this in the first place? I just don't get it =/

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:28:08 pm »

No offence but I really don't understand why so many people have been confused about Curses in this way. Would you mind explaining what made you think they worked like this in the first place? I just don't get it =/

Something like:

hey, there's this card called a curse that's bad to have. So why would I ever buy it? Oh, must be to give it to somebody!

If your first game or first few games doesn't have a curser, I can see that happening.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:20:34 am »

What ftl said, plus the bit in the rule book that says that the curse pile is available every game. Since the original set only had 1 card that gave out curses, but you always had to put the curse pile out, a lot of people assumed that curses were a legitimate buy (they are), but since you wouldn't ever want to, you must buy them and give them to another player.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:23:25 am »

What ftl said, plus the bit in the rule book that says that the curse pile is available every game. Since the original set only had 1 card that gave out curses, but you always had to put the curse pile out, a lot of people assumed that curses were a legitimate buy (they are), but since you wouldn't ever want to, you must buy them and give them to another player.

Yeah but the fact that there is one card which gives them out and otherwise is a pretty rubbish card and costs $5 should make you think a bit, right? I mean, why waste $5 on Witch when you can give out curses for free anyway?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:27:18 am »

Yeah but the fact that there is one card which gives them out and otherwise is a pretty rubbish card and costs $5 should make you think a bit, right? I mean, why waste $5 on Witch when you can give out curses for free anyway?

I don't think new players can estimate the values of such the cards so well to get curious at this point. What should get you curious is "Curse cards are present every game, but are rarely used in the basic game other than with the Witch card" and "If a player buys a Curse card (cost 0), it goes in its own discard pile, like any other gained card. This, of course, will not often occur."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.