Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15  All

Author Topic: War of Omens, flash CCG with deckbuilding elements  (Read 84567 times)

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
Re: War of Omens, flash CCG with deckbuilding elements
« Reply #325 on: October 27, 2015, 02:12:13 pm »

You're gonna have to do a hell of a lot of shuffling with a physical copy of this.  Also, there's quite a lot of random effects on cards...

I'm going to try "put on bottom of deck" instead of "shuffle into deck" and see how that plays. And I've edited most of the cards with "50% chance of X" or "25% chance of Y" to work differently. It will end up playing differently; the question is just how differently.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 27, 2015, 02:28:14 pm »

You'd want the bag + chips implementation, but it would still be super rough.

Jorbles, I don't really like grind to win either.  I literally log on once a day, fight bots to complete the quest, and draft, then play something else when I run out of draft tickets.  Works pretty well.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 28, 2015, 12:13:12 pm »

What about random resource generation?  And how are you going to keep track of resources?  And what about cards that make other cards or restock your bank with cards that weren't there in the first place?  Things like Herding Stones, Informant, etc.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 28, 2015, 02:02:04 pm »

What about random resource generation?  And how are you going to keep track of resources?  And what about cards that make other cards or restock your bank with cards that weren't there in the first place?  Things like Herding Stones, Informant, etc.
A D4, several D20s, and a blue backed card decks a la dominion to choice appropriate type of thing to restock for Informant, than grabbing the card you should already have mocked up out of the box for whatever Informant wants to restock.

Repeatedly rolling a D4 for Rite of Brood is pretty rough, but continuously reshuffling a deck to chain Collect Taxes is probably worse than that.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 28, 2015, 02:03:13 pm »
+1

It makes a lot more sense to mock up a slightly different version of War of Omens inspired by it for a physical card game.  At which point, why not go ahead and make even more modifications to make it a better game too, and whatnot, and design your own deckbuilder.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 28, 2015, 11:35:43 pm »
+1

Random resources are blank dice with stickers. Banked resources are colored cubes. Cards that make other cards, I change what they do. Cards that restock your bank, pull from your supply of chosen cards. Functional differences, but I make it work as close to the spirit of the card working within the physical constraints, while not being overly onerous to implement live.

With art-free mockups, I got two people to try and enjoy the game today who weren't interested in playing the digital version, so I'm marking the success column for now.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 28, 2015, 11:36:37 pm »

Repeatedly rolling a D4 for Rite of Brood is pretty rough, but continuously reshuffling a deck to chain Collect Taxes is probably worse than that.

Today we played with "discarded cards go to the bottom of the deck". Next time we're going to try "discarded cards go to a discard pile, shuffle when there's demand".

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 28, 2015, 11:41:35 pm »

Today we played with "discarded cards go to the bottom of the deck". Next time we're going to try "discarded cards go to a discard pile, shuffle when there's demand".

I still feel this would devalue the green deck somewhat, but it'll be interesting to see what your playtests show. If the cycling hurts green too much, I suppose you can tweak a few cards. Of course, then there's the infinite deck (never pulled that off).
A man has no signature

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 29, 2015, 12:06:18 am »

Well on one hand, you can't replay collect taxes over and over.  On the other hand, you can't get screwed to where you draw coins over and over again even though you're overdue to redraw the stuff you invested in.

At a glance it seems like Daramek gets all of the benefit and less of the downside. 

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 01, 2015, 11:26:31 am »

On a Tournament run with Doge - so far beaten 4 Dowagers.  They were playing pretty shittily, though.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 06, 2015, 02:16:22 pm »

Another weird tournament deck that's doing better than I expected:

Countess Aline (Allies activate when killed)

Marshal
Goat Outrider
Consolidate/Informant/Brigand/Tavern Wench/Brute
Argoreth Flower/Summoning Rift/Merchant of Time

Merchant of Time, especially, has been way better than I expected. I thought it was just an awful Stratagem, when instead it's been a bad Stratagem.

As a note: this deck cannot beat Seduce.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:27:15 pm by Drab Emordnilap »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 06, 2015, 02:52:51 pm »

The rock paper scissors invoked by aline and minion hate is kind of annoying.  A lot of good anibaldo or daru decks can go minionless or almost minionless.  If you totally cute minion answers, though, Aline can eat your lunch.  Then if you run the really good minion answers like seduce and mayhem, you'll wreck aline for free.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 28, 2015, 10:53:26 am »

The website hasn't been loading today...

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 28, 2015, 11:11:25 am »

I didn't notice as I haven't been motivated to play lately.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 28, 2015, 06:41:59 pm »

I played the day before, it was down a little bit then came up.  You can try it again.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 08, 2016, 11:47:16 pm »

Surprisingly the server is still pretty active.  A testament to how good the game is, I suppose.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 08, 2016, 11:58:54 pm »

Surprisingly the server is still pretty active.  A testament to how good the game is, I suppose.

Still no updates, though?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 09, 2016, 12:02:28 am »

Hah, I was just thinking of this game today. I even bought that Purple Starter Pack to unlock the Silver/gold packs while getting some gems some time back.

School has made it so that I don't have much time for gaming. I've been sneaking in some Hearthstone, but a lot of that had to do with League of Explorers hype and now Standard Mode hype.

I'd like to try this again at some point. It is a good and rather unique game at the end of the day.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 09, 2016, 01:36:19 am »

Still no updates, though?

Yeah.  I was saying, the fact that it does well enough without any updates means it's a good game.

I think it probably wasn't monetized wisely.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 21, 2016, 08:50:54 pm »
+1

I've been back on a kick of this lately.  Forked up $5 so I could buy Silver packs, and I have no idea who the money went to, since the developers are supposed to be bankrupt.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 27, 2016, 05:56:37 pm »

Hopefully it redirects directly to the server upkeep.  Presumably the server's being kept up at a loss.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 19, 2017, 07:29:10 pm »
+2

You should agree this is an appropriate necro.

After over one year of no active development, War of Omens has received a patch from a volunteer developer who is going to work on the game.

Based on his post, he's going to wait and see how motivated he feels about working on it.  It's not a lucrative endeavor.

The game's core gameplay is so good that the game has not died out at all.  Retention rate is still is so high that queue times are pretty reasonable.

The patch had only a couple bugfixes.  One of them was "fixed an issue requiring players to email in to get their Champion's Paiza."  Champion's Paiza takes hundreds and hundreds of hours to unlock - apparently people have stuck to this thing.

I still play some.  It's a great game.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 19, 2017, 07:38:17 pm »

You should agree this is an appropriate necro.

After over one year of no active development, War of Omens has received a patch from a volunteer developer who is going to work on the game.

Based on his post, he's going to wait and see how motivated he feels about working on it.  It's not a lucrative endeavor.

The game's core gameplay is so good that the game has not died out at all.  Retention rate is still is so high that queue times are pretty reasonable.

The patch had only a couple bugfixes.  One of them was "fixed an issue requiring players to email in to get their Champion's Paiza."  Champion's Paiza takes hundreds and hundreds of hours to unlock - apparently people have stuck to this thing.

I still play some.  It's a great game.

I was hoping this day would come.

I had stopped playing, assuming the game was going to slowly die off, but I still had fond memories of War of Omens, even though I mostly just played against the AI and draft.

I'll take another look at the game sometime soon.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 25, 2017, 03:50:15 am »

War of Omens has been on the same patch for a long time.  Apparently Aurochs Elixir has developed itself as an "it" draft card over time.  It goes slightly bigger than a lot of the popular draft strategies.  I think it's interesting.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 03, 2017, 09:52:49 pm »

Another update today.

Hopefully they change the way Veil Warden works somehow
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15  All

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.