Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15  All

Author Topic: War of Omens, flash CCG with deckbuilding elements  (Read 84595 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: War of Omens, flash CCG with deckbuilding elements
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2015, 04:09:15 pm »

As upgraded as the card that caused the restocking (where epic coins are considered to be fully upgraded cards).

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2015, 04:19:29 pm »

That's bananas. It's unfortunate that most of those cards are scarce or even rare.

Why do you want Apothecary? It feels like there is no way you are going to get enough money with Blue to get full use out of it. And Arsenic is terrible.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2015, 04:33:31 pm »
+1

I don't know whether Apothecary is really all that good.  But I think it's really really fun.

The dream is to play Birondelle with Deceit and Impersonate, then restock cards from your opponent that produce money.  So that you can actually have a lot of money once you restock an Apothecary.

Arsenic is a bad card for most games, but it's incredibly powerful for breaking stalemates or games that you are actually losing in a slow fashion.  As a card to put in your deck, it's pretty awful, because like 80% of the decks out there don't even have the potential to create stalemates.  But as an option coming off of Apothecary, 33% of losing 1 gold because you restocked Arsenic in a situation that doesn't call for it is way worth the ability to feed apothecary until you see it if you need to resolve a stalemate.  If I could choose an Apothecary with "restock poison" or "restock non-arsenic poison", I would definitely take the first one.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2015, 04:36:04 pm »
+1

More importantly, Arsenic and Apothecary both have sick flavor text.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2015, 07:10:09 pm »

Got the Yarakeen and Jesmai.

IT'S

ABSOLUTELY

RIDICULOUS
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2015, 08:28:24 pm »

You feed it magic and it heals it and charges it at the same time.  Ain't it cray?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2015, 10:46:32 pm »
+1

Got an 8-0 with Daru, Forgery, Stratagem, Curry Flavor, Mercenary, Ransack, Clever Plans, Impersonate, Seduce, Synod, and of course, a Goat Poultice.

It was a coast.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2015, 11:02:18 pm »

Curry Flavor

Best typo. And new headcanon.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2015, 09:21:27 am »

I've come to the conclusion that I have no idea how to pick for draft.  I've gone 2-3 (Skull lady) and 0-3 (big hand size guy) so far.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2015, 09:37:42 am »

I've come to the conclusion that I have no idea how to pick for draft.  I've gone 2-3 (Skull lady) and 0-3 (big hand size guy) so far.

I hear you.

I thought I was all badass with my current deck. I got the hero that gains 1 Magic a turn, and I used it greatly with Herding Stones. I had three Herding Stones out and cranked out herd beasts left and right. I had over 40 health. I was ready to get my eight victories.

Then the second and third opponents waffle-stomped me into syrup. I think I see why the first fight went well. Synod kept my bank filled so I was able to buy Herding Stones. I also had Goat Poultices to keep activating the goats. It was a perfect storm that I was unable to duplicate in my other fights.
A man has no signature

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2015, 11:37:26 am »

Step one is "don't pick skull lady"

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2015, 12:31:07 pm »

Epic coins lady seems to be the best one.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2015, 01:09:04 pm »

Epic coins lady seems to be the best one.

Shhhh.... don't tell.

She's probably the best.  She can keep her opponent from sneaking out a turn 1 Wealthy Patron just like Ashkar and Xalia can, because Bantling Charm, Cross and Pile, Fecund Charm, and Diviner Charm all have a high chance to deal with it.  But Champion's Paiza and the Fireship coin make it really hard for her to run into empty bank problems the way everyone but Doge occasionally deals with.

For those that aren't aware yet, "3x chance to activate" on her coins is a misnomer. When you play when of her coins, there are 3 separate triggers where the coin tries to proc.  So there's a ~52% chance that one of the 20% coins doesn't proc at all, not a mere 40% chance.  But, there's a chance for the coin to proc 2 or 3 times.  Turn 1 six Argoreth Flowers makes a grown man cry.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2015, 01:17:53 pm »

For those that aren't aware yet, "3x chance to activate" on her coins is a misnomer. When you play when of her coins, there are 3 separate triggers where the coin tries to proc.  So there's a ~52% chance that one of the 20% coins doesn't proc at all, not a mere 40% chance. 

That makes sense.

This may be veering toward the maths thread, but multiples of probability are such a weird thing.

Sure, if something has a 5% chance to occur, then you can say that 25% is five times more likely. But if you keep the multiple and change the probability, then what happens when you want to say that something 90% probable is now five times more likely? It can't jump to 450%. Of course, one can look at the chance for failure and divide that by five. Suddenly 90% becomes  98% when it becomes six times more likely.

That kind of wording has always vexed me.

So yeah, I think saying "coins trigger thrice" sounds more accurate based on what you said.
A man has no signature

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2015, 03:27:19 pm »
+1

"Coins trigger thrice" makes it sounds like Fecund charm will either give you 0 skulls or 3.  It'd be a better blurb since a player could rather quickly reject that interpretation and determine the intended interpretation, though.  As it is you don't really get it, until you see fecund charm make 2 skulls and you're suspicious but maybe you missed something? and then you see the triple Argoreth flower and you are like "oh".

Lackey makes anibaldo's coins try to trigger 6 times, I think.  Maybe it's 5 times.  Either way, Anibaldo's Lackeys are really good. 

Lackey makes duplicates the Metris abilities into seperate procs.  So Valdorian has a chance to draw two cards from his opponent and get 3 gold per enemy coin, and Birondelle can buy a card and restock two cards from foe immediately.  Theo is a sad panda though.  He can only save his card once.  So he just goes from a 20% chance of saving his cards to 36% which is kinda lame.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2015, 09:01:59 pm »
+1

Played around with Jesmai a bit more. I realized that I need crazy amounts of magic to abuse the Yarakeen. So I put more cards in there to get magic. Then I realized that the best way to get magic are argoreth flowers, which die to everything, so I added more intercepts. Then I realized that by the time I set everything up, the game has basically ended already. But hey, I am beating Master semi-consistently, so I can't really complain. It's fun to have exponential growth.

EDIT: I hate economic cards with rarities of 3 or more. They are just useless until you can upgrade them, and good luck with that.

EDIT 2: I have no idea how to play a proper red deck, but it doesn't matter when you have Rite of Brood and Repopulate.

EDIT 3: How do you use Goat Poultice? I'm not having much luck with it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:30:25 pm by pacovf »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2015, 05:47:10 pm »

You buy Goat Poultice usually when you already have a few Goat Herds on the board, so you can pretty much guarantee you'll be able to buy the restocked Goat Herd.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2015, 06:30:16 pm »
+1

Ok. So you just have to hope that Goat Poultice will appear when you need it.

In other words, went 5-3 on my first draft. One win away from getting a free Inquisitor! Damn. Basic idea was to hide behind Veil Wardens, Bodyguards, and an Apothecary. Then I either poisoned the other guy to death, or my Argoreth flowers gave me tons of magic, which I then feed to my Inquisitor. I was countered hard by Bloodlust, but what will you do. I should also have lost sooner against the hero that ignores intercept, which for some reason didn't want to kill my flowers or my patrons. I wasn't about to complain.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2015, 09:14:02 pm »

You buy Goat Poultice usually when you already have a few Goat Herds on the board, so you can pretty much guarantee you'll be able to buy the restocked Goat Herd.
Not true in draft. Buying Goat Poultice and failing to buy anything else that turn is absolutey fine and very often optimal.  It shuffles the Goat Poultice in so you can replay it and have more total goats available to buy, and increases the chance you restock goat poultice.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2015, 12:57:55 am »
+1

Went 6-2*! If there is a deck that isn't made better by Veil Warden**, I have no idea which one it is. There's something oddly satisfying about having two or three out, with 10+ damage stocked in each, and seeing your opponent squirm at the knowledge that he's already dead. You just have to pray that the bank will stock them early enough and you are good to go.

*There was a weird time-out in one of them that granted me the win, but whatevs, I've definitely lost a game because of that too.

**Only real counter I've encountered is Mayhem, and Banishing Gust/Word of Unmaking, but most people don't carry the first and nobody carries the others. Well, and Odashir's echo, but that one is broken anyway.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2015, 01:08:22 am »
+2

Went 6-2*! If there is a deck that isn't made better by Veil Warden**, I have no idea which one it is. There's something oddly satisfying about having two or three out, with 10+ damage stocked in each, and seeing your opponent squirm at the knowledge that he's already dead. You just have to pray that the bank will stock them early enough and you are good to go.

*There was a weird time-out in one of them that granted me the win, but whatevs, I've definitely lost a game because of that too.

**Only real counter I've encountered is Mayhem, and Banishing Gust/Word of Unmaking, but most people don't carry the first and nobody carries the others. Well, and Odashir's echo, but that one is broken anyway.

Mayhem is pretty common.  It wins you games that you are losing, which isn't the kind of games you like to think about, so it's a card you SHOULD pick for your draft deck, but not one you actually do. 
Gust is decent in the "on-hold" slot.  Word of Unmaking is even better.  I see them a bit.  There's a lot of people skipping the on-hold slot altogether though.
Odashir's Echo does NOT counter Veil Warden.  The copy won't replicate the charges of the original.

You're forgetting Seduce, which is a major counter.  Bloodlust is a soft counter.  There's also craziness like building an infinite so that you have 99 life when you finally destroy the Veil Warden walls, or trying to kill the weak stuff hiding behind the walls with Lead the Charge while you build up your own board.

But Veil Warden is a really really good card for sure.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 05, 2015, 03:51:22 am »
+2

Finally got a good tournament run going. Currently 6-1 with:

Sang Ashkar (+1 Magic per turn)

Usury, Sibylline Scrolls, Lead the Charge, Malediction
Seduce, Waylay, Satchel Bomb
Boar Unguent, Shepherd's Gift
Grave Contract

Boar Unguent is MVP, most wins are from playing Boars forever and outlasting my opponent.

EDIT: 7-1. Kept Sibylline Scrolls as new card.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:12:50 am by Drab Emordnilap »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2015, 05:20:27 am »
+1

Boar Unguent is like Goat Poultice Jr. 
How did Grave Contract do?  I have never tried that one.  It seems maybe bad, maybe good, I don't know.

I ended my excessively long boycott of Xalia with a really lucky draft: Hedge Guardian, Hemlock, Coup de Grace, Loan, Shepherd's Gift, Catapult, Seduce, Seduce, Rite of Brood, and Palisade.  Almost every pick I was able to pick something that had to do with the way Xalia wants to live her nametagless life.  It went 8-0, although I played in the wee hours of night where I could find Anibaldos that thought turn 1 misdirection was a strong answer to Xalia..

The thing with her is that the moment you pick a single card that attacks without ignoring intercept, you've ruined the only difference between her and sofacatro.  I managed to do that with my draft. I imagine many drafts you just aren't offered cards that will let you stick to that.  A lot of Xalias that I fight don't seem to get it.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2015, 12:26:18 pm »

Mayhem is pretty common.  It wins you games that you are losing, which isn't the kind of games you like to think about, so it's a card you SHOULD pick for your draft deck, but not one you actually do. 
Gust is decent in the "on-hold" slot.  Word of Unmaking is even better.  I see them a bit.  There's a lot of people skipping the on-hold slot altogether though.
Odashir's Echo does NOT counter Veil Warden.  The copy won't replicate the charges of the original.

You're forgetting Seduce, which is a major counter.  Bloodlust is a soft counter.  There's also craziness like building an infinite so that you have 99 life when you finally destroy the Veil Warden walls, or trying to kill the weak stuff hiding behind the walls with Lead the Charge while you build up your own board.

But Veil Warden is a really really good card for sure.

Maybe playing at strange hours helps, because I haven't been seeing many Mayhems. There is a problem with carrying Mayhem, which is that there's a 90% chance you are giving it to your opponent too, since everyone and their mother is carrying one of Stolen Plans or Odeshir's echo...

Odeshir's echo counters Veil Warden because then my opponent makes the right decision to have a Veil Warden in their deck too :P Seriously, in nearly 20 games, I haven't seen anyone have it, and I am like, why? I've seen Hedge Guardian a couple of times though, which is ok depending on what you are facing.

You are right, Seduce and Tavern Wench are HARD counters, and I hate them.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2015, 12:42:40 pm »
+1

Boar Unguent is like Goat Poultice Jr. 
How did Grave Contract do?  I have never tried that one.  It seems maybe bad, maybe good, I don't know.

I don't think I would ever take it with any other hero, but with guaranteed Magic, it seemed pretty good at the time. There were definitely matchups where I didn't want it at all (anytime I needed the magic to kill early dudes), but spending ~6$ for 3 1/2s gives board presence that's not weak to Seduce, and the card goes into your deck right away so you draw it again sooner than a normal minion.

EDIT: also mice that you can "pocket" it without taking up your hand pocket, by playing it and not putting magic into it yet. I remember that mattering once (pocketed that and another minion, forcing them to sit on Mayhem in bank for a long time)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:44:46 pm by Drab Emordnilap »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.