Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15  All

Author Topic: War of Omens, flash CCG with deckbuilding elements  (Read 84626 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: War of Omens, flash CCG with deckbuilding elements
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2015, 03:01:40 pm »

I recently unlocked Ezra too and figured that an ally deck was the way to go. I found myself choking on allies a lot. I'm probably also guilty of being spoiled off green. There is no bad card in green, while red requires a much stricter car economy. I will obviously have to reconsider my deck. This can't just be a small-attack deck. Fortunately I was farming MP losses, so I didn't care. When I play Ezra seriously, I'll reconsider the deck.
A man has no signature

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2015, 03:14:31 pm »

I think Talisman is kinda similar to how some decisions go with Daramek.  There are some cheap cards that can seem helpful but you have to ask yourself, long term, if I can't get rid of this card, am I going to want to see it again and again.

But there are still some cards that are good even though they are not cantrips.  It's hard to lose a War of Omens game because Herd of Boars was perpetually the top card of your deck.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2015, 03:31:25 pm »

Oh yeah, the other way to keep from drawing Orphang Gangs, leave them in your hand!  I don't know if some people misinterpret Esra's ability to "the RNG will make sure that after you are done drawing during cleanup you have at least 1 minion in hand", but it doesn't work like that, if you leave the only bad minion in your deck in your pocket, you will draw good minions every turn.  If you have 2 bad minions, it might be worth it to pocket both anyway to make sure you keep drawing fatty goodness.  It's a really good tactic for Overseer combos too.  And a nice side effect for trying to line up Feast with a crappy minion.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2015, 11:36:21 pm »

Yesterday, one of my daily quests was to win 3 times in a row with Blue against Apprentice. I could hardly win one game in two, despite having concentrated on getting blue cards for a while now.
Today, one of my daily quests was to win 3 times in a row with Purple against Apprentice. I put together a deck with the few commons and the one or two uncommons that I have, and I win 6 times in a row without problems.

What the hell, Blue.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2015, 12:16:30 am »

Yesterday, one of my daily quests was to win 3 times in a row with Blue against Apprentice. I could hardly win one game in two, despite having concentrated on getting blue cards for a while now.
Today, one of my daily quests was to win 3 times in a row with Purple against Apprentice. I put together a deck with the few commons and the one or two uncommons that I have, and I win 6 times in a row without problems.

What the hell, Blue.

Blue is hard to get the hang of.  What kind of deck did you run?

Did you use too many underlings?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2015, 12:45:44 am »

I am still missing a lot of key cards, I think. I don't have any underlings at all. I haven't opened bomb satchel either, somehow. I am mostly hammering the opponent with Belladonna, Hemlock, Ambush, using Waylay (x2 now that I upgraded it once) and Infighting to try to keep the enemy minions in check. Deceit and Subterfuge are there because they are low risk / high gain. Surveillance and Coup de Grace because I need two extra cards...

Seduce should really be uncommon instead of scarce, it's really too much of a key card...
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2015, 10:14:03 am »

Purple has the potential of being the perfect storm. When you have your cards out there correctly, then you can steamroll the opposition. Blue requires a little more finesse, I think, as well as experience. It doesn't help that when I get my butt kicked by blue, I hardly see the cards as they are played. I should really pay more attention to what's in the bank and hand so I can follow more carefully.

I have increased my Silver production. I play purple with that Z guy and Blood Pact. I dump as much health in those cards so it's easier for the other guy to beat me. Of course, that's if I see it's a veteran with 10 epic coins. If it's someone more reasonable, I may play to win anyway. But I'll farm Silver while watching Continuum on Netflix, and I can't focus on the game and follow the show at the same time, so I just throw my good name into the gutter and lose a bunch of games for 50 Silver apiece. Meanwhile, someone is happy with 150.

If I come across a player who makes some bad plays, I won't assume he's stupid or a newbie. He may just be throwing away games rather than fight the good fight.

I can put energy toward tournaments instead. I wouldn't mind being able to play all eight games. I guess that'll be my next goal.
A man has no signature

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2015, 11:04:35 am »
+1

I am still missing a lot of key cards, I think. I don't have any underlings at all. I haven't opened bomb satchel either, somehow. I am mostly hammering the opponent with Belladonna, Hemlock, Ambush, using Waylay (x2 now that I upgraded it once) and Infighting to try to keep the enemy minions in check. Deceit and Subterfuge are there because they are low risk / high gain. Surveillance and Coup de Grace because I need two extra cards...

Seduce should really be uncommon instead of scarce, it's really too much of a key card...
I actually don't use Seduce at all when I play blue.  It doesn't melt face.

Blue is super upgrade dependent.  I think it's probably not that you are missing key cards so much as you haven't cheapened your cards enough.  Deceit and Subterfuge are supposed to work like Loan and Usury, respectively, except that the draw back is losing a slot from your bank instead.

If you have Barrel Bomb, you should run it even though it seems too expensive.  Same for Arson.  For the most part, though, blue is THE most collection dependent color to play so having a much easier time with purple is really expected.  Like, the time someone in this thread got Usury5 and decided that seemed like it wasn't helpful yet, virtually every blue card is like that.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2015, 09:21:25 am »

Yay, I got my first fully upgraded card. Welcome aboard, Gold Panners. Okay, that was a little anticlimactic. Still, that means my red deck can go a little more quickly, though goats are still a better resource. I may swap out the panners for something with bite.
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2015, 09:31:25 am »

Hmm.  The infinite Vespitole deck I'm trying to run isn't working on Journeyman level.  What am I doing wrong?  I'm running:

Militia (4)
Wealthy Patron (5)
Mercenary (7)
Collect Taxes (5)
Malediction (11)
Courtly Intrigue (5)
Synod (7)
Usury (5)

The last two I've been tinkering with - they're currently Embargo (5) and Spice Route (5), but I've also had Palisade (5), Courtesan (5), and Sybiline Scrolls (6) in those slots.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2015, 09:49:42 am »

if your goal is to go infinite, you usually don't want to play many allies.  The turn you spend all your money on Synod, you do nothing to affect the board, so it generally results in you losing board position.
I'd try cutting mercenary for Palisade and Militia for Sybiline Scrolls.  Wealthy patron is good because it doesn't have to survive to contribute when it converts your food to gold for you the same turn it comes out.  You shouldn't need to feed your Militias or Mercenaries food in an infinite deck, usually, you can just let them build up a board and get you to 1 life and then try to infinite from one life and win, or if their board is just too huge you save up for the Malediction.

Usury is a card that infinite decks really like, but Usury 5 is pretty scary, some heroes can do nasty things to you with the 6 gold.  You might want to cut it, or add the Usury+Listrata+Bureacrat combo to make it safer.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2015, 09:50:40 am »

Pops would have more insight than me, but I like trying to figure things out. I don't have Synod, so I can't attempt the infinite deck.

It seems to me that for the Synod trick to work, you need to be able to afford to keep buying cards so you can trigger drawing cards to 11. At that point, you have 10 coin cards and one card that just keeps drawing from your deck.

So you need cheap cards: Militia, Serf, Collect Taxes, Courtly Intrigue all can cost 5 or less easily enough. If you use the starting hero with the Wealthy Patron, you can turn food into gold.

Then you also need to acquire money. Collect Taxes and Wealthy Patron will help you on your way. I suppose Loan would be useful too. When you're ready to start the purchases, buy Loan to get that extra kick. You may even restock it so you can keep it going. Who cares about how much you pay later when you have infinite turns and can end the game?

So how close am I, Pops? Well, looks like he posted already, but I'll keep my original thoughts and see what he says.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2015, 09:52:43 am »

Okay, maybe Militia is not that great. I figured the purpose was to build up enough money to buy a bunch of cheap stuff, and I thought Militia would help out with that. But then I suppose there are other cards that are cheap too.
A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2015, 09:55:27 am »

Got Birondelle (+Forged Plans) and Lackey! Looks like the beginning of a deck, but I am really feeling the need to upgrade my Blue cards for the deck to really kick it.

I also got Forgery, but the only thing it gets me are Ritual Slaughters and Poems of Blight :P

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2015, 09:59:54 am »

Serf is really really good, I forgot about it.  But I think it's uncommon? It doesn't get awesome till you upgrade it at least once.

Militia is cheap but not quit good enough.  If you want to draw a card and gain a life, you'd be better off with Prayer which can be redrawn, although you can do better than prayer too.
That's if your not doing the crazy crazy build that uses two copies of tithe to start the infinite (it's probably bad but I've seen it)

I don't think Loan is good at all for unupgraded infinite decks.  You need a large amount of money over a large amount of time.  When you start skipping your coin draws each turn, the debt from Loan combines with that to make -5 gold per turn, which can make it very challenging for you to keep buying cards so you can keep going.  In a fully upgraded deck you might be able Loan3 straight into Fief7 and then make so much money off the Fief it's ok, but in a less upgraded deck it doesn't seem helpful to get Serf or Trade Route a turn early. 

Obviously if you restock Loan every turn, then that's good, and you can do the American Personal Finance strategy, but you can't rely on that.  You also can't rely it showing up late enough that you will near-complete the infinite right after buying it so the debt doesn't matter

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2015, 10:02:04 am »

Got Birondelle (+Forged Plans) and Lackey! Looks like the beginning of a deck, but I am really feeling the need to upgrade my Blue cards for the deck to really kick it.

I also got Forgery, but the only thing it gets me are Ritual Slaughters and Poems of Blight :P
Lackey 2 is already cheap enough to be crazy.  But you want some Deceit 0 and Impersonate 0 for the mega funzie times.

Sadly Birondelle is nearly useless for the lowbrow, burn face deck that is cheapest to play easily for blue.  Vald and Theo are good at that.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2015, 10:13:17 am »

Did they just update the game?  I'm seeing a Gold pack that I never noticed before...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2015, 10:39:10 am »

Lackey 2 is already cheap enough to be crazy.  But you want some Deceit 0 and Impersonate 0 for the mega funzie times.

Sadly Birondelle is nearly useless for the lowbrow, burn face deck that is cheapest to play easily for blue.  Vald and Theo are good at that.

I am actually having about as much success against Apprentice with Birondelle + Lackey as with the face Valdorian I was using before (that is, not much), but at least I am having more fun. Although again I have none of the bombs, which I've heard are kinda important in face Blue. I don't think a cheap Blue deck is actually something that exists...

I would definitely use Impersonate if upgrading uncommon cards was something that looked vaguely doable in the near future.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2015, 11:10:04 am »
+1

I am actually having about as much success against Apprentice with Birondelle + Lackey as with the face Valdorian I was using before (that is, not much), but at least I am having more fun. Although again I have none of the bombs, which I've heard are kinda important in face Blue. I don't think a cheap Blue deck is actually something that exists...

I would definitely use Impersonate if upgrading uncommon cards was something that looked vaguely doable in the near future.

How important bombs are kind of varies depending on whether you're playing Vald or Theo.  Theo doesn't really like the bigger bombs because he can't afford them and the game is over by the time he might play one twice.  Vald can afford even huge bombs easily so he really wants them.

If you can get something like triple Waylay, triple ambush, arson7, wagonbomb, infighting3, satchelbomb5, that would work ok, but that's still kind of expensive. About as cheap as a blue deck gets.

Birondelle is just way happy fun-ness in general.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2015, 12:36:18 pm »

I started playing this game a couple of days ago. Got through what is currently there in the campaign on easy. I mostly play green for now, though I managed to open a Blue Hero (Theo Valz-something).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:18:44 am by markusin »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2015, 05:58:54 pm »

Just got Wealthy Patron down to (4)!  My first fully upgraded card!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2015, 12:12:54 am »

Just got Wealthy Patron down to (4)!  My first fully upgraded card!

That's good.  I'm pretty sure my first fully upgraded card was something awful

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2015, 03:01:02 pm »

Man, Herding Stones are awesome!  Running that and Goat Poultice, even both at (4), is ridiculous.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2015, 03:38:30 pm »

Herding Stones is definitely something where I'm not that concerned about whether it's super cheap. 

Goat Poultice costs TWO gold less every time you upgrade it though, which makes me kinda doubtful about Poultice4 just because Poultice 2 doesn't break the game.

On that note, I want max Apothecary sooo much

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2015, 03:45:53 pm »

When a card restocks the bank with something specific, is the new card always unupgraded? Or is it as upgraded as the card that caused the restocking?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.