Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15  All

Author Topic: War of Omens, flash CCG with deckbuilding elements  (Read 84612 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: War of Omens, flash CCG with deckbuilding elements
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2015, 09:30:29 am »

Is that guy who gets a gold and a skull every turn?  When you're playing against Sofocatro or the like you need to get out the Embargoes to make sure they can't stockpile death.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2015, 01:57:39 pm »

I still haven't touched multiplayer. Sounds like a terrrrrrrible idea.

Without any sort of ranking system, MP is a slaughterfest for newbies. I pretty much know I'm up against a veteran when I see a hand full of special coins. Even someone with basic coins tends to whoop my butt. Interestingly enough, the Uncommon blue hero is useful because he can use their coins. The Deceit card also can get you to draw coins.

But I still do MP. For one, I can see which cards are important to MPers. For another, I get beat by a real player faster than I can beat the AI. This actually gives me a pretty good silver:time ratio. Losing a MP fight gets me 50 Silver and 1 Ingot. By contrast, winning an easy skirmish gets me 50 Silver and 0 Ingots. I can win the second-level skirmish for 75 Silver and 1 Ingot.

Another advantage is that if I'm catching up on Netflix or DVR, I can just keep the computer next to me and indolently click cards until I lose. I'm going to lose against these guys anyway, so why bother putting thought into my efforts? I just keep watching the TV. So I get free Silver out of the deal. I camped out watching a couple episodes of Continuum, and when I was done, I found myself with over 2400 Silver.

I'm in my first draft. I would think that having random draws would improve my chances. Well, my chances are improved, but there's a lot to be said about experience. I still lost my first two matches. Won my third, so that was exciting. I'm sad that winning a draft game does not fulfill the quest requirement to win MP games. I'm not going to complete that quest.
A man has no signature

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2015, 03:57:12 pm »

Lots of the journeyman opponents required me to go allyless or mostly allyless to win.  Against some of them brought two copies of malediction and just bought lots of malediction so they couldn't use their minionbased strategy.  Against others I used Merchantguild to springboard into an infinite.  I had to kill a lot of bosses with an infinite.  Which is hard to do without Synod.

That was before Miracle was released.  I imagine if you have even one copy of miracle and get lucky enough on what it gives you and how many times you can play it, you can beat just about anything, given enough tries.

Keep in mind that multiplayer has so few total players that actual skill based matchmaking would lead to a really long queue time :(

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2015, 02:47:23 am »
+1

I finally beat this fool. The fact that his deck matches yours makes it really hard to counter a strategy.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2015, 10:41:48 am »

Finally got a Metris hero!  It's the guy with a chance to draw from your opponent.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2015, 11:35:09 am »

Finally got a Metris hero!  It's the guy with a chance to draw from your opponent.
Awesome!  He and Theo are the easiest to play without having far too many cards. 

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2015, 11:44:58 am »

Blech.  Kept drawing Cull the Herds off a Daramek player.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2015, 01:11:04 pm »

Yeah, that Metris hero that draws cards from the opponent is pretty neat. I play him with Deceit and Infiltrate to get a bunch of cards from my opponent.

I finally got my first epic! I was so thrilled. Then I was wracked with crippling doubt because I had to choose between an epic hero and two coins. I really want coins, but I figured that getting the hero would be better for my collection. I can at least get another card when I get him to level 4.

What's funny is that I have one of each color at Uncommon except for purple. I actually have all the purple heroes. Kind of weird.
A man has no signature

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2015, 02:55:30 pm »

So, I played my first tournament. Went 2-3. Every loss was to Goat Poultice.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2015, 03:42:40 pm »

Goat Poultice is a monster.  Not sure if it's nerfworthy, you can lose with it, but it's definitely the best draft card.

Stealing Cull the Herd is probably better than stealing a coin.  Maybe not as exciting as stealing a great card, but eh.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2015, 04:28:04 pm »

So, I played my first tournament. Went 2-3. Every loss was to Goat Poultice.

I've gotten Goat Poultice in all my tournaments, but I apparently suck at using them. The best I did was winning four.

There is definitely an experience gap in the tournament. Those people know which cards to grab and how they synergize. I have a ways to go, it seems.

Quick question: How does someone pull off the infinite green actions? I've seen it in action, but I don't know how the person is able to hold more than 10 cards in hand.
A man has no signature

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2015, 05:44:41 pm »
+2

Quick question: How does someone pull off the infinite green actions? I've seen it in action, but I don't know how the person is able to hold more than 10 cards in hand.

Let's say you have a bunch of money, and some green non-unit cards. You play all your cards until you have 4 coins in hand. Then you buy something, which draws you a 5th card. Play that until you have a 5th coin. Buy another thing for a 6th card. Play until a 6th coin. Keep doing this until you run out of things to buy. Then end your turn with your hand still full of coins. Next turn you get to buy something, which draws another card, and eventually a coin. After you've bought enough things this way that you have all 10 coins in hand, buying any one more card will draw you every card in your deck forever.

So you need lots of money, and lots of things to buy. Which is why Synod is so vital.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2015, 09:42:02 pm »

Stealing Cull the Herd is probably better than stealing a coin.  Maybe not as exciting as stealing a great card, but eh.

I don't have any Metris Underlings.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:47:44 pm by werothegreat »

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2015, 10:03:17 pm »

I haven't come close to winning any multiplayer game.  The one time I thought I had a chance (up against somebody with only one special coin), they had an infinite deck.  Impressive to watch in action and slowly realize how it worked.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2015, 10:08:34 pm »

I haven't come close to winning any multiplayer game.  The one time I thought I had a chance (up against somebody with only one special coin), they had an infinite deck.  Impressive to watch in action and slowly realize how it worked.

You just get a whole bunch of the "cantrip" cards, and try to play all of them in the same turn, over and over again, right?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2015, 10:11:49 pm »

You just get a whole bunch of the "cantrip" cards, and try to play all of them in the same turn, over and over again, right?

Let's say you have a bunch of money, and some green non-unit cards. You play all your cards until you have 4 coins in hand. Then you buy something, which draws you a 5th card. Play that until you have a 5th coin. Buy another thing for a 6th card. Play until a 6th coin. Keep doing this until you run out of things to buy. Then end your turn with your hand still full of coins. Next turn you get to buy something, which draws another card, and eventually a coin. After you've bought enough things this way that you have all 10 coins in hand, buying any one more card will draw you every card in your deck forever.

So you need lots of money, and lots of things to buy. Which is why Synod is so vital.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2015, 10:16:21 pm »

You also definitely want to get Collect Taxes and Wealthy Patrons early so you can get the lots-of-money.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2015, 10:39:37 pm »

I don't have any Metris Underlings.

You're missing the point.  You hold Cull the Herd in your pocket indefinitely, and your opponent never gets to use the card they put in their deck for a reason.

War of Omens is a zero sum game.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2015, 10:43:23 pm »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well, one turn I drew 2 of them.  :/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2015, 11:57:58 pm »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well, one turn I drew 2 of them.  :/
Yeah the second one is definitely worse than coin.  Though if your opponent bought two cull the herds he's probably not having a great time anyhow.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2015, 11:37:35 am »

Is Ratcatcher (and Goat Outrider to protect it) absolutely required for red decks? I unlocked Ezra and tried to do without it, but your deck chokes hard after you get a couple of goats/orphans in it, and you can't recover anymore.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2015, 01:38:00 pm »
+1

I'm no expert, but I think the idea is that you don't buy Orphan early unless you're happy with drawing Orphan every turn?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2015, 01:56:54 pm »
+1

Yeah, Orphan Gang is like Herbalist, it's a weak card you don't really want in your deck, but that has an effect that is kinda critical such that you sometimes need a little of it in your life.  It's on of Daramek's few feed food outlets but it has an awful health-per-card ratio.  Unless you need a way to convert food into a useful product, it's more disappointing to draw than a coin, and it's definitely more disappointing to minion-draw than every other minion but Rats.

The health-card ratio on Goats is only a little more impressive.  I would mostly stick to fat stuff like Herd of Aurochs that makes your always drawing a minion consistently powerful.  Lepers is good too.

I think you are really using the wrong paradigm if you think Ratcatcher will "fix" a deck that chokes because every hand it draws is easily answered by 1 or 2 skulls.  Ratcatcher is going to draw a random minion from your deck just like Esra does, so if you are letting the quality of an average minion tank too low, the Ratcatcher is just going to remind you of that (well, and add one more health to your board, for free, which is why it's a great card, but that's not quite my point)

Try to pull your minions' average fattiness up.  And try not to buy small minions just because they're in your bank, you don't always necessarily want them in your deck yet, and when you buy something weak it becomes possible to restock it.

If you get the rare card Colossal Aurochs, you can beat some really pimped out legit decks just by saving up and buying it off the top of the bank for the occasional random win if they don't have an answer like Seduce in their bank.  It is one of the loveliest things.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2015, 02:23:50 pm »

Right, of course you are right. Somehow I got bad habits from playing Green so much. Will have to rethink my buy orders. Thanks for the tips!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2015, 02:42:34 pm »
+1

I had a pretty big village idiot phase where I thought 0 cost Rats was the most broken thing ever until I realized those things go into my deck and I was buying Copper.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.