Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15  All

Author Topic: War of Omens, flash CCG with deckbuilding elements  (Read 84622 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: War of Omens, flash CCG with deckbuilding elements
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 10:25:13 am »

Draft rewards an Oak Pack for not many wins before 3 losses and a silver pack for several wins before 3 losses.  Then the big kahunas are 6-2: Golden pack worth 1000 Silver.  7-1: Gold pack AND you pick a card that was in your deck to keep, usually a 1000 silver value to pick up a new rare, and a draft ticket (you can take 1000 silver if you don't want to keep any of your cards.  Sometimes you win without using any rares.)
8-0 gives you two card picks.  Sadly they must be distinct, you can't pick the same rare twice to start upgrading it.  I think 8-0 gives a second draft ticket but I can't remember.

You'll want to have 1000 Silver on hand for your first draft in case you want to redraft your deck for 1000 silver.  I think it's often worth it to do that due to the recursive benefit of going 7-1.  My problem is I'm not skilled enough at draft to be able to tell if my deck is bad or not.  Aside from that I should probably never redraw anything with Goat Poultice, the best draft card.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 08:41:52 pm »

I finally got an Endazu hero!  Now I just need more Endazu cards...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 10:14:29 am »

WHICH HERO?!?!
Y U cliffhang us lik dis?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 11:13:59 am »

WHICH HERO?!?!

Uhhhh Raktaba'an.  The one who gets +1 Magic when he plays an Incantation. 

Gilded Warriors and Halting Rebukes are now my favorite things.  :)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 11:21:05 am »

Man, I really want to unlock a purple hero. Those cards look like they may match my play style. I ignored them at first when I opened packs because I had no idea what the hell I was looking at. I figured I would just pick them up later. I got a few that seemed interesting but usually if there wasn't already a green or red that I wanted.

I don't think I have enough to make a blue deck. Even if I do have 10 cards, they probably won't make a good deck. I know there is at least an attacker, so that's good. I haven't even attempted to play blue yet. I kind of want to since that'll help me understand what's happening to me when I face blue. With no game log, I just watch cards fly back and forth and then see if I have any allies left on the board. I'm better at recognizing what happens when green and red do it. With purple, I just play solitaire with my deck and hope I win. Weird things happen, and I keep pressing on.

Say, is there a way to get rid of a card that doesn't have health? Like blue's poisons or forgeries?

I've found a way to farm silver without being cloistered alone with my computer. I set up a computer next to the couch while I finish off my DVRed shows. I'm not going to win multiplayer anyway so I just click things and concede as soon as it's available. That really just makes me into a couch potato, but at least I am not letting shows clutter the DVR, and I get free silver and ingots out of the deal.

I've still only won one multiplayer game. I came close in one…or at least it felt close. Still got my ass handed to me at the end.
A man has no signature

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 11:22:34 am »

WHICH HERO?!?!

Uhhhh Raktaba'an.  The one who gets +1 Magic when he plays an Incantation. 

Gilded Warriors and Halting Rebukes are now my favorite things.  :)
That's pretty cool.  Gilded Warriors is a really good card.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 11:37:50 am »

I don't think I have enough to make a blue deck. Even if I do have 10 cards, they probably won't make a good deck. I know there is at least an attacker, so that's good. I haven't even attempted to play blue yet. I kind of want to since that'll help me understand what's happening to me when I face blue. With no game log, I just watch cards fly back and forth and then see if I have any allies left on the board.
Blue is quite possibly the most upgrade-dependent class to play.
The attacker minions aren't very good unless you unlock the Blue hero that intercepts for her underlings.  The problem is they die a bit too easily.  Green, red, and purple don't care if their minions die because they can just redraw them, but 50% destroy on kill means you might never see them again.  It's safer to use one of your 100% destroyed cards but be guaranteed that they did something good before you lost them.
You'll want to start out with a deck that uses poisons and bombs and Spells to melt the opponent's face with blue, that's the easiest to do with the commons.  Players with more cards can use the "steal your opponent's deck and play it" strategy, which is a good deal more interesting but involves more rares.  And once they get full upgrades they can try to tuck a minion or two behind an intercept card too.

Say, is there a way to get rid of a card that doesn't have health? Like blue's poisons or forgeries?

There's only two cards in the game.  They are both purple.  One is Banishing gust, 2/3/4, On hold: charge.  At 2 charges: Discard any card.  It puts any card in play or in hand in the discard pile, but if you use it on a bank card it banishes it.

The other is Word of Unmaking, 4/5/6, On hold: charge.  At 3 Charges: Destroy, any card. 

You click any face up card on the screen and it is gone.  Forever.  I think I've heard if you use it on a bank card, the bank can't restock that card ever again (I guess it's kinda like the bank cards are thought to be like blue backed dominion cards, and you're just destroying that component of the game entirely?)

Using Word of Unmaking and a lot of blockers, you can destroy all the important pieces of your opponent's strategy and eventually win through attrition.  I don't know whether you're into that.

As an actual strategic consideration, it's worth noting that playing 6 Trade Routes "destroys" the six damage poison and playing 12 Trade Routes "destroys" Hemlock since they are one use items.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2015, 11:51:06 am »
+2

This game is really rather addictive, but the upgrade mechanic is incredibly irksome.  Having to grind just to make some cards playable does not seem like good game design.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2015, 12:54:01 pm »

This game is really rather addictive, but the upgrade mechanic is incredibly irksome.  Having to grind just to make some cards playable does not seem like good game design.
Well, any implementation of f2p, p2w sucks in some regard.  I agree that if the cards were in their cheapest, most usable form, and were instead really really expensive, that would probably be a bit more satisfying. And the pack opening process is ridiculously tedious.
In the draft mode, all the cards are in their most upgraded form.  Have I mentioned draft mode yet?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2015, 02:02:26 pm »

I can't do draft until I get a Metris hero and win with it. :P

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2015, 02:28:13 pm »

Should be soon.  It seems like Theodox is more common than other commons.  At least it feels that way.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2015, 06:45:57 pm »

Yay, I got my purple hero. And I managed to win with all four colors, so I qualify for draft.

Oh damn, I need tickets. I finished all three of my quests already. But at least now I have all the colors. My cards are slowly coming around.
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2015, 07:23:30 pm »
+2

So is this game still being developed at all?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2015, 08:11:48 pm »
+1

It's being maintained but it hasn't received new content lately.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2015, 10:38:00 pm »

Just spent 2-3h on this. The upgrade mechanic has to be the stupidest mechanic ever. Ugh. I got a blue hero though, yay.

I've been playing only green. The minions are way better than the "cantrips" for basically the same cost...?

BTW, what do "attack/retaliate" and "activate" do, exactly?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2015, 11:07:12 pm »
+1

Just spent 2-3h on this. The upgrade mechanic has to be the stupidest mechanic ever. Ugh. I got a blue hero though, yay.

I've been playing only green. The minions are way better than the "cantrips" for basically the same cost...?

BTW, what do "attack/retaliate" and "activate" do, exactly?

Attack means, deal a damage to something. Attack won't hit the opposing hero if there's any minions to hit. I think other than that it's random?

Retaliate means, attack when damaged.

Activate is, do your "turn" ability. If you Activate a Militia, it will attack again.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2015, 08:39:42 am »

Well, not quite "do your turn."  When Wealthy Patrons and Courtesans are activated, they do their "on feed" ability, for some reason.  Also for some reason when a Herd of Boars I control is killed by an attack, I get no resources, but when a computer's Herd of Boars is killed by my attack, they get extra resources.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2015, 09:40:20 am »
+2

Attacking choooses randomly among enemy minions if there are enemy minions.  A minion with Intercept will redirect the attack to itself.  There are several minions in the game with "Attack weakest", which will choose an enemy tied for the lowest amount of health.

Wealthy Patron, Courtesan, and Vintner are the only 3 allies that use the on feed ability instead of their on turn ability when activated (and also the only minions with an on feed ability that's different than their on turn ability).  I dislike it because it's not intuitive.  It means activating is like a flowchart, Do you have an onfeed ability? y-do it/n-> do you have an onturn ability? y do it/n do nothing.

It's an awkward answer to balance challenges with those 3 minions.  They used to only make 1 resource on your turn.  They were awful, no one used them.  So they bumped them up to 2 resources and gave Vintner a fancy feed gold ability.  But then they were too good with Benediction.  So they didn't want to go back to making them useless.  And if they just nerfed Benediction instead, the draft hero Aline, which was "100% to activate allies on play" would still keep using them oppressively.  So they went with the awkward rule.  Now that they had to nerf Aline anyway, it looks like they really should have just nerfed Benediction and kept with the intuitive interaction.

By the way, technically retaliate doesn't mean "attack when damaged", since Goat Outrider can cancel the damage from the attack he received and retaliate anyway.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2015, 09:42:50 am »

wero, I don't know any reason you wouldn't get resources when your Herd of Boars is killed by an attack.  I think maybe the resources you gained were stolen and you didn't notice it.  The computer sometimes plays cards like Robbery or Embargo really quickly and it might not even animate you having the resources temporarily.  Or if your opponent controled Cutpurse or Loquiri then that could block you from gaining resources at all.

I haven't ever heard a Hoard of Boars bug reported.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2015, 10:05:23 am »
+1

This is kind of fun, but grinding will get old very quickly.  I've played quite a lot, and only seen one hero so far (green, +1 attack each turn), so draft mode still seems a way in the future.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 10:05:57 am »

I passed up Benediction for Usury, because it felt like a win-more card. Now that I've played some games with Usury, I am pretty sure I made the wrong choice :( Coin producing cards seem like a bad choice before they are upgraded, and good luck upgrading a "scarce" card.

I played a silly game against the purple hero that gains health every turn. The AI was playing super defensively, and my first four minions were Wealthy Patron x3 and a Marshall, and the RNG didn't want to give me any attack units for a long time. That, plus Merchant Guild, meant that I ended the game with 150$, despite buying everything in the bank. Fun times.

Is Malediction completely bonkers, or is it just that the budget Green deck is super weak to it?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2015, 10:30:54 am »

wero, I don't know any reason you wouldn't get resources when your Herd of Boars is killed by an attack.  I think maybe the resources you gained were stolen and you didn't notice it.  The computer sometimes plays cards like Robbery or Embargo really quickly and it might not even animate you having the resources temporarily.  Or if your opponent controled Cutpurse or Loquiri then that could block you from gaining resources at all.

This is why I wish there was a game log. I like how fast the animation is, because you don't want to sit there forever watching each card play out, but it'd be nice to go back and see just what the hell happened that turn.

But I think my solution is to start playing more blue and purple. I'll get the hang of those cards and then know what to expect when I see them on the other side. I have a pretty good idea of what to expect when I see red and green cards over there.

And for those who need heroes, I offer some hope. I only started playing this earlier this week, and I now have heroes in every color. I even have two purples. I just wish I didn't rush for the silver pack early on. I was thinking in Magic terms and not about upgrading cards. Oh well.
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2015, 11:50:41 am »

I'm realizing that there's kind of a 4-way rock-paper-scissors going on with the four colors.  Metris pretty hard counters Endazu - oh, you're saving a cool card in your pocket?  Let me just take that off your hands.  Also I don't care about your 10/10 Halting Rebukes, I'll just poison you to death.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2015, 11:54:59 am »

Yeah, Usury really wants to be upgraded.

On Malediction, both, it's a really good card, but green ally decks are really weak to it. 

It's a lot easier to grab copies of rares and scarces you need once you start drafting since you can pick a card to keep at 6-8 wins.  There's lots of overlaps between rares you want for your collection and rares that will be in your draft deck so you can pick them for keepsies.

It sounds like most of you guys are having slower luck than I did getting all 4 colors.  But draft mode wasn't implemented yet and Liet and I were in love so maybe I just didn't care.

Sofacatro is a really good starter character, you should probably play him.  Corruption + Bounty will work ok even if you don't upgrade either of those cards.  You can also just build an allies deck and use the skulls to protect your allies from attackers.  It's easier to make him work than Listrata, and before you get upgrades he might even be better than Pocchi.

pedit:  It's a very rock paper scissorsy game, but I'm not sure Metris counters Endazu as a general rule.  Impersonate will miss 3/4ths of the time, and Endazu has the best healing and blocking to answer bombs, poisons, and burns.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2015, 12:41:08 pm »
+1

Sofacatro is a really good starter character, you should probably play him.  Corruption + Bounty will work ok even if you don't upgrade either of those cards.  You can also just build an allies deck and use the skulls to protect your allies from attackers.  It's easier to make him work than Listrata, and before you get upgrades he might even be better than Pocchi.

Sofacatro is pretty bananas. The ability to deal with enemy minions without having any yourself is craaaaaaazy.

You mention "allies deck". Is there any other viable Green deck (before upgrades)? I have the feeling that most of the "cantrips" are pretty bad value. But maybe it's just because I am playing against the AI, where more often than not allies survive at least one turn (except against that damn Sofacatro).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.