Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15  All

Author Topic: War of Omens, flash CCG with deckbuilding elements  (Read 84665 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: War of Omens, flash CCG with deckbuilding elements
« Reply #150 on: October 05, 2015, 12:44:31 pm »
+1

I have seen it consistently underrated too.  Draft before last, it was in my opponent's bank alongside stuff like Ballista, Scavengers, and Courtesan.  I had a slow control deck that was taking tons of face damage, but my opponent opted to buy a Mercenary or something and let me Stolen Plan Veil Warden out of his deck.  Dude, you realize that card is the only thing in both our banks that can keep me alive, right..?

Mayhem getting SP'ed shouldn't usually be too much of a problem since it only costs 3.  If you can wipe your opponent's board and buy it, then no one can have it.  You still might restock it and then your opponent gets first dibs on trying to buy it, but that should be a narrow chance.

Can you convince me Robbery>Mayhem in a double Goat Poultice deck, just due to Stolen Plans and Burglary, though?  ...you maybe can.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2015, 12:54:20 pm »
+1

Hilariously, it looks like I bought a humble bundle that includes some stuff for this game, and never knew it.

EDIT: I now have my first fully upgraded card... Courtly Intrigue.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 01:06:02 pm by Drab Emordnilap »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2015, 01:46:27 pm »

Got to play as Anibaldo.  Stealing a Word of Unmaking from someone else's hand is hilarious.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2015, 02:20:54 pm »

I have seen it consistently underrated too.  Draft before last, it was in my opponent's bank alongside stuff like Ballista, Scavengers, and Courtesan.  I had a slow control deck that was taking tons of face damage, but my opponent opted to buy a Mercenary or something and let me Stolen Plan Veil Warden out of his deck.  Dude, you realize that card is the only thing in both our banks that can keep me alive, right..?

I mostly use it as a card that says "Your hero gains 5hp, intercept, and retaliate". It's the nuts. And if you have Peacock or Apothecary, it's downright broken.

Mayhem getting SP'ed shouldn't usually be too much of a problem since it only costs 3.  If you can wipe your opponent's board and buy it, then no one can have it.  You still might restock it and then your opponent gets first dibs on trying to buy it, but that should be a narrow chance.

Right, forgot it does that when the enemy doesn't have a board. I'll have to think about it twice when I see it again.

Got to play as Anibaldo.  Stealing a Word of Unmaking from someone else's hand is hilarious.

I hate, hate impersonate/deceit instawins.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2015, 02:33:56 pm »

I think Peacock is kind of an awful draft card in general though, and Veil Warden + Peacock + Opponent's on-turn-attack is a 3 card combo.  I'm not sure I'd go for that.  Apothecary is an ok card, but I think it usually goes in different deck than Veil Warden does since Veil Warden decks tend to be aggressive and Apothecary decks tend to be controllish econ decks that have a risk of getting an obscene amount of money.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2015, 02:44:34 pm »

Agree that Peacock is an awful draft card.

I am being super controllish with Veil Warden though. I am not letting them die, if at all possible, before they reach max damage (it never gets there), while hiding my econ units behind them. I might be playing it wrong, but it's been working decently well so far. I definitely have to be more careful with counters though.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2015, 02:49:08 pm »

Agree that Peacock is an awful draft card.

I am being super controllish with Veil Warden though. I am not letting them die, if at all possible, before they reach max damage (it never gets there), while hiding my econ units behind them. I might be playing it wrong, but it's been working decently well so far. I definitely have to be more careful with counters though.
If those allies are Banker and Wealthy Patron then Apothecary could work, yeah.  Half the time they are Supplicants or something is all.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2015, 03:20:41 pm »
+1

So why is it that I can feed magic to attacking allies, but not to economy allies?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2015, 03:38:01 pm »
+1

So why is it that I can feed magic to attacking allies, but not to economy allies?

The game is set up that way since it's usually a misclick to feed magic to an economy ally, since magic can be used as gold anyway. 

There's an edge case where it's not a misclick: you stolen plans'ed a Wealthy Patron from a Vespitole player, and now you want to feed magic to your Wealthy Patron so you can feed the gold to either Apothecary or Charlatan.  It's extremely rare, but everything would be cleaner if they closed that loop by allowing you to feed magic to Apothecary and Charlatan.
Charlatan and Apothecary were both added after the base code for the game was set up, though.  So that edge case didn't exist yet.

It's usually a misclick to feed an attacking ally magic too, granted, but the edge case for that one is much more realistic: You control a Serpent Altar and an Orphan gang.  There's a variety of reasons you might want to avoid proccing a Serpent Altar, and each of them are small and narrow, but you can add them up and they mean something.  Maybe you want to kill Herd of Rats without smacking a Lepers and killing your Orphan Gang.  Maybe you want damage a rampart down to 1 pt, but you don't want to destroy it entirely because then it will get shuffled back in (and there are enough Embargos or Fool's Golds around that you shouldn't just sit on the magic.)  Maybe you don't want to proc the last charge of Paper Vipers and allow it to get shuffled back in.

There's also the good old, maybe you're Xalia and you want to destroy a Palisade so you don't die to Coup de Grace but unless you draw a Militia you literally can't shoot at the Palisade.

As a separate note, you can feed magic to Supplicant, but only if he is damaged!  You aren't allowed to risk Cutpurse procs infinitely :(.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2015, 10:15:16 pm »
+2

Hey so I just started playing this game last week. I'm wondering if any of you have tips for draft format. In what order do you open your packs? What spread of card costs are desirable?

My first two drafts went a measly 1-3 but this current draft I have is at 4-0 right now:

Sang Ashkar (+1 Magic per turn)
Knight
Rite of Combat
Ceremonial Dance
Tavern Wench
Warding Circle
Ballista
Waylay
Scrivener
Serf
Word of Unmaking

This deck isn't very economical nor is it flashy, making it more confusing as to why I've been winning with it. I've never been able to purchase a Knight. I've been winning simply by having Ballistas and Tavern Wenches behind Serfs and Warding Circles with Rite of Combat and Waylay helping me deal with threats somewhat efficiently. During the draft I was hoping to build around Rite of Combat a bit, so I picked a couple of cheap green cards.

Edit: Went 5-3
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:38:58 pm by markusin »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 05, 2015, 10:53:49 pm »

Most important tip is probably the most obvious one: pick your hero first.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2015, 12:29:44 am »
+1

Most important tip is probably the most obvious one: pick your hero first.

I assumed it's better to try picking your cards around your hero rather than picking a hero to work with your cards, but I still had to think about it for a bit before reaching that conclusion.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2015, 01:20:27 am »

Back when it seemed to me that a the top 4 heroes were really close in power level, I used to like to crack a 4 pack, then open my hero pack.  That way if the 4 pack was garbage-garbage-garbage-ally, I could make an informed decision to pick Aline over Daru or Anibaldo, since they were close to begin with.

After Aline's nerf, it seems like even if you told me the last pack I opened was gonna have a Tavern Wench in it, I'd still pick Anibaldo>Daru>Doge>Aline anyway, so it's not worth being in the dark on whether Rite of Brood>Synod because I'm gonna be playing Daru and not Anibaldo or something like that.

So yeah definitely open your hero pack first.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2015, 01:26:08 am »
+1

You don't need a mana curve in War of Omens since you can save up gold between turns.  You need cards to fit different roles instead, like the econ role, the make-sure-my-bank-isn't-empty role, the -don't-let-people-sneak-out-turn-one-banker role, and so on, trying to avoid overlaps.

I guess you'd like to get about 2-3 behemoth cards if you're not an aggro deck, stuff that is either so expensive that your bank is full if that thing is sitting in your bank at all, or that has special restock abilities like Synod or Stolen Plans.

You never really could afford knight because your deck was really aggro.  It seemed a tad unfocused though, I'm surprised it went 5-3.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2015, 11:15:41 am »

You don't need a mana curve in War of Omens since you can save up gold between turns.  You need cards to fit different roles instead, like the econ role, the make-sure-my-bank-isn't-empty role, the -don't-let-people-sneak-out-turn-one-banker role, and so on, trying to avoid overlaps.

I guess you'd like to get about 2-3 behemoth cards if you're not an aggro deck, stuff that is either so expensive that your bank is full if that thing is sitting in your bank at all, or that has special restock abilities like Synod or Stolen Plans.

You never really could afford knight because your deck was really aggro.  It seemed a tad unfocused though, I'm surprised it went 5-3.
Well I would be able to Knight when my opponent would use Usury. I think I'd lose those games because getting an extra Knight is not worth letting my opponent use Usury. I think Knight was in my first pack so I didn't know what kind of deck I'd build and I wanted to make sure I had a big card. Ceremonial Dance and Scrivener weren't so great for me here because I was tricky to weave in Rite of Combat in the first place.  I learned a bit more this time around.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2015, 11:41:07 am »

Knight is a weak draft card in general and awful as a first pick.  The issue is that it sometimes costs 4 times as much as Militia and does what Militia does every turn.  If you aren't protecting an economy minion with it, your opponent can just buy economy and improve their deck and laugh off the damage coming from your 12 coin Belladonna

If you're 9 cards in and you still hadn't found anything big yet, then yeah it's good, but it's definitely reasonable to hope for a bigger fattie in your next 9 packs.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2015, 01:59:04 pm »

Knight is a weak draft card in general and awful as a first pick.  The issue is that it sometimes costs 4 times as much as Militia and does what Militia does every turn.  If you aren't protecting an economy minion with it, your opponent can just buy economy and improve their deck and laugh off the damage coming from your 12 coin Belladonna

If you're 9 cards in and you still hadn't found anything big yet, then yeah it's good, but it's definitely reasonable to hope for a bigger fattie in your next 9 packs.

Like Colossal Aurochs (or Warship, which is the same thing, just more expensive and a cantrip)?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2015, 02:06:03 pm »

Yeah, Collossal Aurochs and Warship are both good fatties that are better than Knight.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2015, 03:02:42 pm »

Yeah, Collossal Aurochs and Warship are both good fatties that are better than Knight.

I find the deck building of this game to be much more challenging than Hearthstone. Or at least it feels that way now. The need for card synergy to make a good deck is much stronger.

Like, you say Collosal Aurochs and Warship are great big fatties, but I can't tell if that also means they are good in constructed or very narrow in usefulness.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2015, 03:12:59 pm »

It's a more intricate game than Hearthstone, so the deckbuilding is naturally more difficult.

I rarely see Warship in constructed, but it's a rare, and there's so many exciting rares you'd rather get first, so that might be getting Warship a bad rap.

Collosal Aurochs is a strong card in constructed, especially for Esra.  Seduce is kind of an issue, though.

I usually try to design a deck that needs neither of the two in draft because of their high susceptibility to Seduce, but they are reasonable solutions to the empty bank problem and I wlll sometimes draft them to round out a deck that has good economy but hasn't found a wincon yet.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2015, 04:16:58 pm »

Have any of y'all battled eachother? There's no "challenge friend" feature, but it shouldn't be very hard at all to queue snipe eachother.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2015, 12:13:28 am »

I don't think I have, but then again, I tend to stick to bots.  Still trying to upgrade everything.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2015, 01:34:24 am »

Only multiplayer I play is Draft, or when a daily quest requires me to. If there was a "challenge friend" feature, I'd be happy to get destroyed by you guys.

I just played a Draft game against a player that ran 2 (!) copies of Forgery... Really annoying, especially when I forget that there's one out...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 07, 2015, 10:16:18 am »
+1

Second copy of Forgery is not good, because not only does the second one cost 1 gold more, but sometimes you have to put 2 Forgeries out at once just to keep from pushing stuff out of your bank, and then your opponent can "kill" both Forgeries with 1 anti-forge purchase and 2 for 1 them.

But yeah Forgery is gonna be really really really good if you don't pay attention to it being out.  You should be paying attention as soon as your opponent restocks it, trying to plan out what cheap card to leave in your bank to kill it or what good card you need to get out of your bank before Forgery starts holding you up.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 07, 2015, 10:12:40 pm »

I would like to thank people that play Draft late in the evening for their contribution to my collection of level 4 cards. This wouldn't be possible without their selfless cooperation.

In other news, I finally have all non-epic heroes. Yay me.

EDIT: any idea how Miracle works? It won me a couple of games in the last Draft. Always gave me pretty expensive cards, which seems kinda busted, despite the randomness.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:19:35 pm by pacovf »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.