Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress!  (Read 5088 times)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress!
« on: July 26, 2014, 04:06:56 pm »
+2

So, I've just recently started playing and I do know they are some players around here (Jorbles? sudgy?) so I though, why not start a thread.
For those that do not know, DF is kind of a very complex civ building game which is bound to cause a huge amount of frustration FUN!

So, I've had few fortresses so far. First three (not counting test ones) weren't that impressive - there were dozen bedrooms and me trying out to set up some semblance of industry. First one died out cause I was trying out stuff and I flooded half the fortress, and people mysteriously started dying later. In second one everybody refused the work and started hunting vermin cause they had no food (a big wave of migrants came), and I couldn't come back from it. In third I got a necromancer invasion in like first year, which completely destroyed me. I got hang of the ropes, though.

So, than came my first somewhat successful fortress. on ground floor I had a moat with a drawbridge and 2 tile wide fortified wall all-around, I even had some sembalance of army (only one squad of ill-equipped archers which I seriously couldn't get to train EVER even though I've put them on train shechule and I've build archery practice range, they just refused to train (still not sure how to do it) ) that I could at least order to patrol and/or kill on order. I had huge bedrooms with engraved rocks all around, huge waterfall going through the fortress (artificial, but pump-less), farming was set up and I was also making quite a lot of quality crafts for trade. I have some very poor metal industry and was dabbling in other industries, but things were working well.
And than shit hit the fan. I had no idea that their clothes can rot until they started throwing tantrums about having to go around naked. I also had no cloths of any sort to start making shirts and trousers, so I had to trade for it. I was so focused on trying to get clothes industry going that I didn't notice that my corpse stockpile was full and a dead yak was laying in the dining room until it started rotting. Now, miasma clouds + lack of cloths + a guy committing cause he wasn't able to complete his artifact made quite a few dwarves unhappy. Even though they were all in cloths, they continued to throw tantrums without a break. Tantrums led to violence, violence led to deaths, deaths led to more unhappy dwarfs (I also had no jail at first so I had to release the first murderer, which made for even more unhappy dwarves) I fell into a trap called "tantrum spiral".
So, I decided to raise the drawbridge and not let the new migrant dwarves (~20 of them) in until all the unhappy dwarves killed themselves first, and than try to clean the things up with a new batch of fresh, happy dvarves. I also closed the waterfall and made a back entry somewhere through the waterfall.
So, everybody in died, but it took a while and upstair dwaves got fed up with waiting a bit. I let them in and start cleaning up - I though that I had a chance to coming back. Unfortunately, I forgot to re-seal the back entry and when I turned the waterfall back on, it started flooding the farms, people fell down the waterfall shaft, other dwarves that tried to rescue them got drowned to, I had to seal the whole section off and.. well, I was back where I started, tantrum spiral #2.

Now, my few fortress is built with more care (old one was fun but disorganized). I finally got completely hang of Therapist, and quickfort, so things are going more smoothly. I quite like where I am right now, I got a few food industries going, other stuff is getting set up but the dwarves are quite happy and working and I hope they'll stay that way. The main problem is that currently my defenses are low and I have problems with thives, but I'll fix that up soon.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 07:30:03 pm »
+1

I frickin' love this game, we should set up a succession game in the forum games.

The greatest part of the game, in my opinion, is that the complexity of it leads to a sort of emergent story. Like in my current fortress, immigrants keep showing up unhappy about recently dead relatives (I think they're getting attacked en route to the fortress). In particular, one year an eight year old kid showed up missing a hand and with a dead father. His mother killed herself within a few months out of despair (this can be a very bleak game, or a very funny one if you're into black humor). I figured that the kid wasn't long for this world either, but eventually he calmed down. Later, though, he went into a fey mood- a feature where dwarves lock themselves in a workshop and demand certain, sometimes obscure materials. If you get them what they want in time, they produce an incredibly valuable artifact. If you don't, they go crazy. This kid was demanding cave spider silk, which it wasn't looking like I could get- until a trade caravan showed up and had like two bolts with it. He finished the artifact, and the thing about artifacts is that dwarves tend to engrave pictures of events from the world or the civilization's history on it. This one, though, had a picture of the kid's mother on it... So many feels, and it's all emergent behavior.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:42:10 pm »

Succession game?

I managed to flood the last fortress, I was making wells and I made a lever room to operate the flood gate that only had upward stairs and no downward stairs, and my dwarves were refusing to pull the lever, and when I realized why it was already too late.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 07:47:46 pm »

You set up a chain of players. Each player plays the fortress for a year, typing up a log of what happens (screenshots optional), then sends the save file to the next player. Hilarity ensues.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:13:15 pm »

I'd be 100% down for that. I haven't played in a year at least though, I'd have to dust off the cobwebs
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 10:44:35 pm »

I've never played dwarf fortress, but this sounds like a really fun idea and I'd be willing to try it out if we did something like this.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 10:56:28 pm »

I haven't played in a while, but I could do that too.  A couple suggestions for if we do:

1. Make deadlines.  Some people might not do things quickly.
2. Strongly suggest that people write down what happens, with screenshots.  That just makes everything better.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 12:05:39 am »

Is this worth playing? Is it free/cheap? How long does it take to get into?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 12:46:50 am »
+1

1. A matter of opinion. 2. It's free. 3. A long, long time.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 10:03:47 am »

1. A matter of opinion. 2. It's free. 3. A long, long time.

But really, not that long. If you use the wiki you can figure out the basics in an hour or so.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 06:55:07 pm »

That sounds fun. Wonder how long can we survive :P

Agree with sudgy, we need like "1 year or 1 real-time week, whichever comes first".
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:07:30 pm by Grujah »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 12:14:34 pm »

One of my IRL friends is into Dwarf Fortress and tried streaming it earlier this week. He says he'll probably stream it some more.

http://www.twitch.tv/martyw81

I, on the other hand, am not really into it. It's just not my kind of thing.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 02:42:31 pm »

Somebody with a little more experience should start things off. I'm just downloading it again now, but I can't imagine my contribution to the history would be anything but a net loss haha. Things need to begin properly so I can add some tribulations in the second act.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 02:47:22 pm »

I'm already modding a Sentinels Game, a Mafia Game, and helping out with Dominion League. I could start this up after some of that settles down though.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 02:52:54 pm »

What version would we play for a community game? 34.11?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 08:50:37 pm »

I can organize it.

I prefer 0.34.11 but 0.40.01 could work too.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 11:54:56 am »

I can organize it.

I prefer 0.34.11 but 0.40.01 could work too.

It's up to 0.40.06.  We could wait for all of the bugfix releases to end, then start.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 05:03:49 pm »

So I just started playing this and it's fun, but I still don't know what I'm doing yet.  But after I'm done with my first fort I could probably participate in this.  Question: Do you guys use visual mods?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 05:11:58 pm »

I play with tiles, can't remember which ones.
I also have DFHack, soundsense, quickfort and Dwarf Therapist always in the background.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 20 queries.