Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: JSH's Art Rankings  (Read 73660 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: JSH's Art Rankings
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2014, 04:07:58 pm »

By the way, are you judging Hermit/Madman and Urchin/Mercenary as different cards or one card?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2014, 04:12:20 pm »

By the way, are you judging Hermit/Madman and Urchin/Mercenary as different cards or one card?

Different.  The only cards not on the list are the base set Copper/Silver/Gold/Estate/Duchy/Province/Curse.  And the Knights randomizer I think.  And the trash card.  Why those?  Cause I forgot about them and I don't want to edit all those numbers.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2014, 04:14:13 pm »

The normal art for copper/silver/gold/platinum/estate/duchy/province/colony/curse isn't interesting at all anyway. Not sure how you would go about ranking them.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2014, 05:55:29 pm »
+2

Next, a choose-your-own-adventure!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2014, 06:46:53 pm »
+4

Different.  The only cards not on the list are the base set Copper/Silver/Gold/Estate/Duchy/Province/Curse.  And the Knights randomizer I think.  And the trash card.  Why those?  Cause I forgot about them and I don't want to edit all those numbers.

Just put a .5 and put them at the end.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2014, 09:38:59 am »
+7

You have three Coppers.

…To buy a Silver, turn to page 15.
…To buy a Woodcutter, turn to page 28.
…To buy a Workshop, turn to page 44.
…To buy a Moat, turn to page 51.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2014, 09:40:07 am »

You have three Coppers.

…To buy a Silver, turn to page 15.
…To buy a Woodcutter, turn to page 28.
…To buy a Workshop, turn to page 44.
…To buy a Moat, turn to page 51.
Depends on the board ;-)
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2014, 04:01:42 pm »
+14

170. Hunting Grounds
This card's art is a good example of how to do a more cartoony style in Dominion and get away with it.  (Sorry Maura)  Sure, the foremost archer looks a little goofy, but he's also very well-detailed and there's enough going on in the scene to make Hunting Grounds connect to other cards in the game.  The quadrupeds are lovely, and the archer in the background is classy as tea at the palace.  Why doesn't it rank higher?  Because I'm dumb and refuse to shift things around even though nobody's seen the list yet.
169. Witch
I always thought the art on Witch did a good job conveying the other-worldliness of the Witch's power, but I guess some might see it as poor brushwork or something.  The dark forest in the background is a nice touch.  Looking at everything in hindsight, a lot of the early cards have worse art than later ones, but Witch looks pretty good.  Her face (especially the weird double chin) is a bit lousy-looking, though.
168. Market
The style on this one isn't my favorite.  I don't like how the buildings in the back have no separation from the ground, and he washed-out, dull coloring of the people isn't going to excite anyone.  I will give this card points for having details, though.  There's a good variety of people standing around, a donkey I never noticed until now, and the art really does convey the image of a market with only a very small snapshot of one.

167. Cellar

I love these pictures that have a darker, moody look to them.  Well, most of the time. You get that feeling of an underground room right up the bones here, though the shape of the room feels oddly like a subway or sewer.  It's not the best, but something had to be #167.  I thought really hard about that placing, let me tell you.

166. Dame Sylvia

I'm convinced her armor is just plain drawn incorrectly.  Or it doesn't fit her.  Or she's pregnant.  It kills me, because I think the rest of the picture is pretty great, especially the horse's armor.  Look, Sylvia: rule #1 of the fashion show is to find things that fit you for your close-up.  Everyone has to be judged by the same standard here.

165. Chapel

Q: THE PERSPECTIVE IS ALL WRONG; WHY IS THIS SO HIGH ON THE LIST?  WHAT KIND OF ART CRITIC ARE YOU? A:
164. Urchin
You take just one look at that picture and you know it's gonna be one of those games.  A crook like him should not be tucking in his pants so gracefully.  That wall is beautiful, though, I must say.

163. Mandarin

I actually really love these styles of paintings and have wished I could visit China and Japan and see more of them in person. (sorry, I forgot the art genre they fall under.  I didn't actually study it back in my mail-order art school program)  It's a cool, funny picture of the far east bureaucrat with way too much stuff to lug around.  Not the best it could be, but it's something exotic to the rest of the cards in the game that doesn't clash with everything else.

162. Tribute
While the color scheme here is a little crazy, I think it works nicely.  Tribute has an eerie evening look to it that sets it apart from the pack.  My only real complaint is that it's very difficult to see what's going on unless you look at it very closely.

161. Nomad Camp
It's got a pretty cool desert backdrop, which is the main reason it's ranking this highly.  I also love doggies.  <3  The art is otherwise a little plain, but fitting for the Hinterlands expansion.  I do wonder if those clouds are being sucked in to some kind of dimensional vortex.
160. Young Witch
Come on, YW, you could look at least a little bit happy to be here.  You have all kinds of fans waiting in the audience, but you're just folding your arms and looking too cool for the crowd.  Smile a little!  Show 'em you care!  Well, too bad.  The gothic look is easy on the eyes, and there's a nice foggy swamp backdrop behind her, but it's not that great-looking on a tiny card.

159. Sir Destry

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:06:00 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2014, 04:12:12 pm »

So wtf is going on in Tribute?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2014, 04:26:10 pm »

So wtf is going on in Tribute?

Some guy is pledging allegiance to some other guy. So it makes sense.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2014, 05:44:58 pm »
+4

Young Witch should be top 10 at least!

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2014, 07:04:50 pm »
+4

Young Witch should be top 10 at least!

Somehow I feel you're biased.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2014, 07:10:29 pm »
+6

I'm sure at least 11 card arts have been proposed as "top 10 for sure" at this point.  What can I say, I can't please everyone.  If you want a truly objective list, go check out SirPeebles' best beard list.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2014, 07:12:34 pm »

i think he was joking.

that said, KC Is top 10 at least.

I'm not even joking.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2014, 07:59:10 pm »

Pretty sure navigator should be last.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2014, 08:35:54 pm »
+8

I never knew there was a forest behind the witch. I just assumed she was in a Gypsy hut or something.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2014, 11:20:12 pm »
+2

We need to find the real people the knights are named after and send them your critiques of their portraits (do any of them frequent the forums?)
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2014, 11:21:07 pm »
+2

They would probably just think I'm a sad, strange little man. 

Natalie and Sylvia might just think I'm a "poopie head."

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2014, 07:50:40 am »
+4

163. Mandarin

I actually really love these styles of paintings and have wished I could visit China and Japan and see more of them in person. (sorry, I forgot the art genre they fall under.  I didn't actually study it back in my mail-order art school program)  It's a cool, funny picture of the far east bureaucrat with way too much stuff to lug around.  Not the best it could be, but it's something exotic to the rest of the cards in the game that doesn't clash with everything else.

I love the fact that he has too much stuff to carry, because it feels thematic: no wonder he needs to put one of them back! That alone would rank Mandarin higher for me, though the picture in a vacuum is nothing special.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:35:40 am by soulnet »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2014, 08:02:26 am »
+8

They would probably just think I'm a sad, strange little man. 

Natalie and Sylvia might just think I'm a "poopie head."
That is not a phrase they use, but they don't know they have cards yet.

Sir Martin and Dame Anna are the ones who made out (in more ways than one). I think Destry is recognizably Destry, easily the third best by that metric, but he wasn't thrilled. Dame Josephine didn't much appreciate hers; if you get told it's her you can say, oh yeah, I guess I can kind of see that. Vander is invisible and Michael barely visible. And Sylvia and Natalie couldn't be illustrated, and Molly and Sir Bailey didn't want to be (and weren't).

Valerie, Dale, and Wei-Hwa were illustrated by Maura Kalusky (Harem, Navigator, Pearl Diver); I don't think any of them were too impressed. Matthias Catrein illustrated himself (Bureaucrat) and so has no-one else to blame.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2014, 04:31:07 pm »
+1

Valerie, Dale, and Wei-Hwa were illustrated by Maura Kalusky (Harem, Navigator, Pearl Diver); I don't think any of them were too impressed.

I actually quite like Pearl Diver's art.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2014, 04:41:05 pm »
+1

I can't help but laugh at the thought of jsh357 having ranked only 1/3 of the cards: "When did I get the bright idea of ranking all 241 cards based on art, and adding a quip to each of them?"
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2014, 04:42:59 pm »
+4

I can't help but laugh at the thought of jsh357 having ranked only 1/3 of the cards: "When did I get the bright idea of ranking all 241 cards based on art, and adding a quip to each of them?"

Believe it or not, I have done more tedious lists/projects.  I don't know why I'm slacking so much on this.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2014, 05:31:46 am »
+1

Pretty sure navigator should be last.

The sky in Navigator is pretty refreshing, and not dull like many of the dark-themed Dominion cards. And who knows what he's looking at? I think I kinda prefer some of Seaside's cards (Native Village, Pearl Diver, Island) because of that rare sunny day that's hard to find in Dominion. Navigator is just pleasantly aesthetic in that regard.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2014, 03:51:22 pm »
+13

PART 4: THE RATHER NICE CARD ART

158. Walled Village
While Walled Village doesn't match the style of a lot of the higher ranked cards, it does have a style of its own that makes it stand out as a promo in spite of being the least unusual promo card.  It's a neat little tribute to Carcassone (Or maybe it isn't since I haven't actually played it and just looked at the board to confirm it could be) and not offensive to the eyes.  Great?  Not really.  But they can't all be #158.
157. Fishing Village
The first thing I want to point out here is that the card art actually mixes well with the orange borders, and not all Dominion cards look great with their particular borders if you ask me.  While Lieske's image isn't that technically impressive, it is a nice scene.  The smiling fisher boy with his fresh catch, the bandits rigging their boat with explosives to invade a nearby citadel, and the mountains in the background complement the small fishing town, giving a tranquil feeling to the player.  Everyone loves Fishing Village, and so do you.
156. Pawn
Constipation can be a rough thing.  The poor pawn is suffering as hard as a man in his time was bound to.  I spent some time researching this to try and make a witty quip about constipation treatments in the middle ages, but it was surprisingly hard to find actual information on the first page of Google.  Oh, uh, the picture's good; I just feel bad for the little guy.
155. Silk Road

I won't make it a secret.  Dominion's card art improved a ton from Cornucopia onward, and Hinterlands has some especially nice-looking cards.  Silk Road portrays the journey of nomads across the titular path well; the light colors and excellent shading work stand out here.  I still have to squint at the art a lot to see what's going on, but it's not as if that's a huge flaw. 
154. Bag of Gold

Guys, there's this show on the Disney Channel.  So there's a DOG, right?  And the dog has a BLOG!  What a concept!  The show is called DOG WITH A BLOG.  Similarly, I like to call this card BAG OF GOLD, and that's just what it looks like.  Really, they need to take the kids off the show and have it entirely be the dog trolling the parents.  It avoid the problems of working with child actors and doesn't sacrifice the original element of the show. 

153. Merchant Ship

Ever notice the Merchant standing in the middle of this picture?  I sure didn't.  The evening lighting here is glorious, though.  An excellent piece of art that could top somebody else's super serious cart art list.
152. Black Market
This is the shadiest card art, and I love it.  These guys are up to no good and it's going to cause wacky fun times in the Kingdom for all.  I wonder how they fit entire Farmlands in there?  The only thing that bugs me a little is they still look a bit like robots or mannequins.  Something about their smiles and poses is just plastic.  Stylistically, it's hard to fault the Black Market, though.

151. Catacombs

We've seen a lot of these types of pictures so far... underground passages and such.  I think Catacombs is particularly nice, even if there isn't much to say about it.  It's so easy to just gloss right over pictures of stone surfaces and dirt and not truly appreciate the amount of work that goes in to making them look convincing.  I guess I wouldn't mind being buried here.
150. Journeyman
This is the bro-iest of bro handshakes right here.  And just look at those trees!  Those buildings!  It's spectacular stuff.  That weird, misty gas in the back is a bit upsetting, though.  One wonders if the zombie apocalypse from the Worker's Village has extended this far.  Well, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.