Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Author Topic: JSH's Art Rankings  (Read 73656 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Re: JSH's Art Rankings
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2014, 05:40:48 am »
+2

191. Altar
Maybe I'm being overly fussy about this one, but I kind of wish there was something on the Altar.  Or at least something in the picture, like people carrying dead sheep.  Right now it just looks like the LOST hatch sitting in the middle of the woods, which is great, but not too exciting in this form.  It's also a very brown picture.  Very, very brown.  Browner than brown.

I always thought the idea with the empty Altar is that you're placing one of your other cards on it

Can't you guys see the blood on the Altar?

And think just how many Dominion cards are actually human sacrifices people? It's a very nice thematic element.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:44:53 am by Ichimaru Gin »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2014, 05:07:30 pm »
+2

Various thoughts:

I like Wishing Well.

Whoa, I never realized that Baron was drawn by Ryan Laukat.

Dame Anna's eyes look open to me.  Why do you think they are closed?

I'm a fan of Talisman and Sage.

The flags on the desk of Governor's art look like a jester's hat to me.

Bishop is amazing art!  Also, the artist has a one-word name?!

I'd always thought Fairgrounds was depicting something like a creepy abandoned carnival.

That baby on Duchess is as creepy as the Duchess herself.

I'm surprised Quarry is as high as it is.  Storeroom is just as exciting and looks nicer, IMO.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2014, 08:16:09 pm »

Watchtower better be #1. It would be #1 on my list, at least. Chapel is nice too...

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2014, 08:29:39 pm »

Watchtower better be #1. It would be #1 on my list, at least. Chapel is nice too...

Royal Seal could also be at the top.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2014, 12:37:37 am »
+4

Royal Seal could also be at the top.

So long as we're talking about my Royal Seal and not WalrusMcFishSr's knockoff  ;)
Well you *do* need a signature...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2014, 12:45:05 am »

My top five would probably be Adventurer, Masquerade, Wharf, Peddler, and Ruined Village.  Although I pretty much like all of the art from Alchemy too.
Well you *do* need a signature...

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2014, 10:49:56 pm »
+8

for Monument, the light source is obviously coming from the right, which is why there is so much shadow on the right statue and not the left one, as well as the left side of the dome and building. I think it's a pretty dynamic lighting choice for something that could be really boring. I agree that the bases of the statues are drawn so that the view point is off centre with the Monument, and I think the artist should have chosen to place the viewer right in the middle of the Monument, so that the statues are both at the same angles.

However, take into account that the space on a card is really small. Say for tournament, the artist was trying to show a lot in the tournament. By placing the stands far back, we an see them entirely and we quickly get the sense of a tournament. If you were doing this as a large painting, yeah the stands should be moved forward so that we can see all the expressions of the crowd members and see their movements.

Oh you must be one of those art students.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2014, 02:50:05 pm »
+1

i like pawn
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2014, 09:33:47 am »
+8

After this ranking, you wanna do a ranking of the left 10 pixels of the card art? :P
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2014, 02:27:10 pm »
+2

#190.....?  Not to rush you or anything
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2014, 02:39:00 pm »
+8

Sorry guys, I was sacrificed for disrespecting the altar.  I got better.  Whenever I get back from forced vacations and weddings and business trips I should have more patience.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2014, 11:16:30 pm »
+2

#190.....?  Not to rush you or anything

Yeah! How am I supposed to build the best looking deck if the cards aren't ranked? I may win over 50% of all my games, but I never do it in style!

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2014, 04:19:24 am »

Am I the only one who really, really likes the refreshing background of Navigator? Anyone?
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2014, 10:36:31 am »

Am I the only one who really, really likes the refreshing background of Navigator? Anyone?

I just can't deal with his massive hands.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2014, 10:39:23 am »

I mean they are like Johnny Bench-ian proportions.  Truckasaurus.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2014, 10:50:43 am »

I find it interesting that you think Candlestick Maker is the worst, but you have yet to place Masterpiece.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2014, 12:32:51 pm »

I find it interesting that you think Candlestick Maker is the worst, but you have yet to place Masterpiece.

I mean, the art style doesn't work for people, but that doesn't mean it can't work for "still life," as it were.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2014, 07:02:15 am »

keep them coming!!

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2014, 10:08:30 am »
+23

190. Lookout

An odd-looking man keeping watch over a dead sea, purple with lethargy and gloom.  The rock protuberances do not disrupt the dead laze of the waters, only small hints of froth emitted from their bases.  This man, this Lookout; he clearly gazes over a large puddle of grape soda. He's also locking his knees, and will soon fall in to the drink.
189. Worker's Village

Some large structure is being installed in a poisonous wasteland.  The yellow air has led all of the town's citizens to their dooms, and soon they shall walk the ruined plains in death, feeding on the humanity of the living.  Dominion: Undeath, coming soon to a Barnes & Noble near you.
188. Scrying Pool
The witch gazes upon a village in the misty pool with a look of childlike wonder.  What doth her gaze entail?  What does the scene mean?  I know not.  My speculations are foolhardy.  The outline of the pool distracts the eye, making me unsure this scene ever existed in the first place.  It is perhaps for the best--some mystical force has made the witch achieve anime hair, and as much as I'd love to own Dominion: Anime Edition, I don't think that's what Alchemy was intended as.
187. Forge

The noble forge inspects the zweihänder, her room and form coated in the blood of foes.  It is an interesting, ominous atmosphere in her shop.  One wonders if a battle looms near, which would justify the production of such tools.  Sadly for the Forge, her abilities would be used to perform such acts as turning three small buildings in to a gaggle of ladies rather than what she trained for. 
186. Copper
A pile of coins stands before us, clearly worth more than 1 coin.  It is always an interesting concept in Dominion, trading money for more money and getting the same money in return.  Here, it makes far less sense than usual.  The coins themselves look quite splendid, but can only achieve so much beauty due to their nature.
185. Contraband
Some treasure lies hidden in a dark room of a thief's hut, covered lazily in a simple blanket.  Was the blanket stolen?  We may never know.  The treasure itself appears to be of little value, and may in fact only be fence material.  The proportions of the box on the right are also odd, at least if the left and right halves apparent are truly parts of the same whole.  Do not attempt to take this card on an airplane.
184. King's Court
Squint as hard as you can muster, and an image of Santa Clause will appear before you.  Santa's elves stand around him with indistinct features, but truly they are not the focal point of the image.  Nay, it is the room itself that the name of the card hints is the true object of import.  While the walls are splendid, one wonders about that floor plan.  I believe the North Pole must have the funds to put down a nice tile pattern instead of whatever that nonsense is.
183. Colony
A wondrous landscape; taken alone, it is among the greatest images drawn for the game.  However, where it does fail is in evoking the feeling of a Colony.  This is simply a coastal town, not a land taken over forcefully by a powerful nation.  Maybe they only wanted the pineapple ice cream and just peacefully took over.  In my public school days, I learned that's why Hawaii is the 52nd state.
182. Inn
An Inn rests in a peaceful valley, offering bed and meals to weary travelers in the country side.  Sure, it's a remote building.  Sure, I could nitpick that to death.  In the olden days, though, it made sense for such a structure to exist in the middle of nowhere.  Today, this is where Freddy would find you and harvest your organs for his parrot's fueling.  It's a nice picture, though.
181. Embassy
People in this place look so confused.  The transvestite on the left probably passed gas, leading the  stylish man on the right to take a whiff of the air, hunting for the source of crud vapors.  The others sit around a small table, discussing questionable agreements and bribes.  It is an effective image, though not one that excites me.  Embassies are among the most boring of locale, so at least there's something unusual to look at here.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:09:31 am by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2014, 10:20:00 am »

These are like stories. Oh how the witch gazes into the pool!

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2014, 11:34:23 am »

I like to think that the woman in Scrying Pool looks into the pool and sees...Vineyards!

Makes sense, except the card art is not exactly the same as that of Vineyard. Close though.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2014, 11:55:51 am »

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2014, 12:38:07 pm »

I like to think that the woman in Scrying Pool looks into the pool and sees...Vineyards!

Makes sense, except the card art is not exactly the same as that of Vineyard. Close though.

She sees the Village.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2014, 12:39:39 pm »
+1

Inn at 182 is heresy imo.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.