Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Author Topic: JSH's Art Rankings  (Read 73670 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: JSH's Art Rankings
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2014, 01:43:11 pm »
+4

I used to think Cellar had great artwork, but then Warehouse came out.
Warehouse costs $3 though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2014, 01:55:04 pm »
+8

I used to think Cellar had great artwork, but then Warehouse came out.
Warehouse costs $3 though.

Yeah, but usually if you have $2 to spend on some art, you could afford to buy a piece for $3 anyway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2014, 03:58:33 pm »

I have always thought that the Militia guys seemed like these two from Braveheart (plus a helmet):
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/wxCRNlnckLY/hqdefault.jpg

Though they are nobles in that movie, not part of the militia, it is still a plus for me.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:43:51 am by soulnet »

azadin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2014, 08:46:44 pm »

My question is, how is she sprinting with all that armor on?

It's Shardplate.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2014, 05:26:43 am »
+5

Give us more! The internet has a short attention span!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2014, 09:38:05 am »
+6

I apologize.  I contracted a pretty bad illness and my head's been all over the place.

Ironically, it was probably a disease transferred to me from a baby my wife was in contact with.  The Duchess strikes again.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2014, 12:50:14 pm »
+2

Next time she's seeing a Young Witch, she'd better be bane.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2014, 04:09:55 pm »
+9

PART 3: THE OKAY CARD ART

200. Quarry

Things are looking up these days.  When picking these apart, we're looking less at the quality of the image and more at how exciting it is.  Quarry's a good first start.  It's a plain picture of what it's supposed to represent, and it looks nice.  The rock wall leaves a bit to be desired detail-wise, but rock detail is stupidly hard to get right anyway.  It still looks a bit bloom-y, and it's still a big pile of rocks.  What do you want from me here?
199. Monument

I love the basic idea of this image, but it looks all... squiggly for some reason.  Observe the top dome of the central structure on the left side, how it differs so much from the right, and not just in shading.  There are a whole lot of odd technical details wrong with this picture if you squint at it enough, and I know I just said we were moving past technical problems, but I'm a freakin' liar. This here's a Monument to FOOLS.
198. Tournament
The ring in the back is one of the laziest sections of a Dominion card.  Something about the perspective is just way off there, and the tents don't fare a whole lot better but they stand out less.  I am also pretty sure the knights are holding those lances incorrectly, but I am not an expert, so any resident jousters ought to weigh in.  Nonetheless, at least Tournament depicts an entertaining scene.
197. City

It's supposed to be a City, but it just looks like a one-horse town to me.  Unless you get ten of them down.  Then it's a weird anthill of cloned citizens preparing to make the entire world of Dominion uniform. 
196. Nobles
While I'm not a huge fan of the way the people look on this card, the tattle-tale and paparazzi lying in wait are really nice touches, as is the curtain.  The Nobleman here seems appropriately pretentious.  Really, the main thing holding this card back to me is that the color choice is sort of bland.
195. Upgrade
I should probably withhold any criticisms here.  They're still working on it.
194. Minion
Again, I'm not big on how the people are drawn here.  However, I love the mobster-esque look on the Minion's face and can just imagine him slapping the dull blade of that knife against his hand as a threat.  Just imagine if this were an animated holo card.  There's an idea for DXV if he ever needs to get a second Scrooge McDuck pool.  Dominion: Animated GIF edition.
193. Remake
Pile of rocks... pile of timber... the colors are nice, but there's only so much to appeal to someone here.  Working on games, I've driven away more than one artist who got bored drawing stuff like this over and over.  It's like doing spreadsheets or scrubbing the toilets when you want to be doing your real job.  Oh crap, my real job is essentially making pretty spreadsheets... no!  No!!!
192. Death Cart
To Marco Morte's credit (Geez, 'Morte' is an appropriate name for this one, huh?) I will say Death Cart has got a unique, stand-out style among the Dominion cards.  That said, I'm not sure it works that well alongside the rest, which is really the main bone I have to pick.  Also, is the lady on the right a stork?  It was probably hard to avoid making this look too much like the Monty Python scene, and I think Morte did a good job. 
191. Altar
Maybe I'm being overly fussy about this one, but I kind of wish there was something on the Altar.  Or at least something in the picture, like people carrying dead sheep.  Right now it just looks like the LOST hatch sitting in the middle of the woods, which is great, but not too exciting in this form.  It's also a very brown picture.  Very, very brown.  Browner than brown.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:13:56 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2014, 04:24:45 pm »
+3

I was kind of hoping you mentioned the guy in the picture in Minion's art looks a lot like Che Guevara dressed up for a renaissance fair.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2014, 04:26:42 pm »

I was kind of hoping you mentioned the guy in the picture in Minion's art looks a lot like Che Guevara dressed up for a renaissance fair.

You've done it for me.  Now you can have a piece of the delicious respect coming your way.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2014, 04:28:17 pm »
+18

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2014, 04:32:28 pm »
+3

I always thought the idea with the empty Altar is that you're placing one of your other cards on it
My opponent has more loot than me

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2014, 04:33:10 pm »
+6

Also, is the lady on the right a stork?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor_costume

Wow.  This also clears up the Archstone to the Valley of Defilement in Demon's Souls to me.  Had no idea what was with that design and now I do.

Here, folks, is the true benefit of massive dumb threads.  Those random tidbits of knowledge there are to glean.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2014, 04:57:58 pm »

I think that is him in early days or someone of his family (maybe he is relative of Che Guevara ;-)). The profile of their heads look very similar.
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2014, 07:52:38 pm »
+1

195. Upgrade

My favorite comment so far.

Also, do you think you would have ranked death cart higher had you known about this?

Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2014, 08:07:15 pm »

195. Upgrade

My favorite comment so far.

Also, do you think you would have ranked death cart higher had you known about this?

Maybe a little, but I'm still not the hugest fan of the style.  (Not that it's bad.  It's pretty good)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2014, 12:28:59 am »

for Monument, the light source is obviously coming from the right, which is why there is so much shadow on the right statue and not the left one, as well as the left side of the dome and building. I think it's a pretty dynamic lighting choice for something that could be really boring. I agree that the bases of the statues are drawn so that the view point is off centre with the Monument, and I think the artist should have chosen to place the viewer right in the middle of the Monument, so that the statues are both at the same angles.

However, take into account that the space on a card is really small. Say for tournament, the artist was trying to show a lot in the tournament. By placing the stands far back, we an see them entirely and we quickly get the sense of a tournament. If you were doing this as a large painting, yeah the stands should be moved forward so that we can see all the expressions of the crowd members and see their movements.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2014, 10:13:45 am »
+5

Death cart got done wrong, easily a top 20 card.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

MarkowKette

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2014, 11:45:35 am »

i really have to agree. I think the picture delivers a really good impression of what it depicts.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2014, 12:11:19 pm »

i really have to agree. I think the picture delivers a really good impression of what it depicts.
It's pretty mediocre aesthetically, though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2014, 05:10:44 pm »
+2

Again, I'm not big on how the people are drawn here.  However, I love the mobster-esque look on the Minion's face and can just imagine him slapping the dull blade of that knife against his hand as a threat.
Originally he was holding a scroll or something, and looked like an evil secretary.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2014, 05:22:27 pm »
+9

Again, I'm not big on how the people are drawn here.  However, I love the mobster-esque look on the Minion's face and can just imagine him slapping the dull blade of that knife against his hand as a threat.
Originally he was holding a scroll or something, and looked like an evil secretary.

Well he dodged a bullet on that one

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2014, 05:53:39 pm »

Speaking of scrolls, I don't see one in Remodel's artwork.  I think Remodel looks pretty cool.
Well you *do* need a signature...

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2014, 07:23:05 pm »

You know I actually only just now looking at Minion realized that it's a sword and not a scroll. And I always thought that the moneylender was an old woman and that hat was her hair.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2014, 08:05:32 pm »

You know I actually only just now looking at Minion realized that it's a sword and not a scroll. And I always thought that the moneylender was an old woman and that hat was her hair.

I always thought the Minion had a scroll as well.  The things you learn actually looking at the pictures
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.