Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: JSH's Art Rankings  (Read 73842 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: JSH's Art Rankings
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 11:13:31 am »
+3

Anyone else just think these guys are goofy looking?  I actually never noticed until just now that the guy on the left is holding an axe that the Smithy is pounding on.  The Smithy's nose is pretty abnormal too.  He could probably do with some surgery for that.

Although "smithy" can mean "blacksmith", its primary definition is the place where the smith works. Smith = person. Smithy = location. Really that just makes the art that much worse. There's no depiction of the workshop on the card at all.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:14:39 am by LastFootnote »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 11:15:08 am »
+2

Now there are the type of edge cases I was hoping for.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 11:45:22 am »

Huh, you may be right.  To me, it just looked like trees.

I can see that. The spear-shape to her left kinda decided it for me. Also, what is up with that sky?

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 11:52:30 am »

At least he knows how to hold a pen correctly.  That gets you a long way in politics.
Best line.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 12:04:10 pm »
+3

I can't believe you put Bishop this far down. That might be in my top 10 card arts, and definitely top 20. The colors are just fantastic.

Otherwise, I agree for the most part, though I think Militia is uglier than Smithy, and I'd put Develop around middle of the pack.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 12:22:34 pm »

I think Haggler is one of my least favorite. Sorry, but he is so ugly and looks crazy. And I don't like Develop
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 01:59:17 pm »

My favorites are Wharf, Warehouse, Tactician, Pirate Ship, Lighthouse, Masquerade, Village and Farming Village. I used to like IGG, but now it just seems pretty weak.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 02:14:17 pm »
+6

I used to like IGG, but now it just seems pretty weak.

:-(

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 02:23:44 pm »
+7

Smithy is the worst and I only just noticed now. That's got to be the most unsafe smithing ever. Surely they had clamps or something in ancient times? Is their best option really: "Ok now you hold this very sharp, blazing hot axe in place while I hit it as hard as I can with a hammer"?
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 02:41:47 pm »

I am going to assume that he is setting the head onto the handle.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 04:09:53 pm »
+5

215. Governor
This man's coat is the least fashionable piece of attire I've ever laid eyes on.  How does he hope to govern a nation when he looks THAT uncool?  At least he knows how to hold a pen correctly.  That gets you a long way in politics.
Man, Duke's outfit matches the chair.

I get it now, you're saving Council Room for #1 as a joke.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 04:13:24 pm »
+4

I can't believe you put Bishop this far down. That might be in my top 10 card arts, and definitely top 20. The colors are just fantastic.
The artist submitted the art darker, and reluctantly brightened it.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 04:18:44 pm »
+20

219. Dame Molly
I am aware this is a huge nit-pick, but it bugs me how Dame Molly is only taking up like 1/4 of the image and the rest is just a wasteland.  Shouldn't she be stabbing at an ogre or something?  The art is good; it's just an odd choice to not make her the focal point of the image.

Where the terminal Knights occupy the graphical space all by themselves, Molly is generous enough to leave room for two companions. I'd say it's a great touch.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 04:55:57 pm »

My question is, how is she sprinting with all that armor on?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 05:00:16 pm »

You would sprint too, with an army that big chasing after you, no matter how much armor you had.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 05:37:02 pm »
+2

You would sprint too, with an army that big chasing after you, no matter how much armor you had.
I'm not sure, if the army is chasing her. For me it looks like this is her army. They don't look like chasing and running after her. They look more like standing still and doing nothing.
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 05:48:41 pm »
+1

I'm not sure, if the army is chasing her. For me it looks like this is her army. They don't look like chasing and running after her. They look more like standing still and doing nothing.

no way, there's a huge dust cloud kicked up behind them.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 07:23:42 pm »
+4

211. Saboteur

So first off, that shirt's arms are way too baggy for effective sabbing.  He needs to be able to escape in a tough situation.  The look on his face is also... quite flat, in an unnatural way.  These things kind of jump out while staring at the image, but I'll commend the artist otherwise.  Just a few touch ups would have made Saboteur jump a few tiers.
210. Bridge

It's kind of a dull picture.  From afar, it's nice enough, but when you get up close you can see that the rocks aren't the best (where is this Bridge going anyway?) and that white... foam?  at the bottom is sort of nonsensical.  Overall, the card art does nothing for me here.
209. Fairgrounds
My problem with this card's art is just that it misses the atmosphere of Fairgounds entirely.  They're supposed to be bright and colorful, not drab and morose.  It doesn't help that the details are so small you may never even notice this is depicting Fairgrounds.  I feel like this card started off intended for some other landscape like a swamp, which would have been a lot better fit.
208. Moneylender

This is another card that just looks sort of bland.  A lot of the ones in this tier do.  That isn't the biggest sin in the world, but the fact remains that if you want to win the beauty pageant you have to put some gusto in to it.  I like his hat, and the characterization of the Moneylender comes through, but nothing else is exciting here.
207. Remodel
Until examining every card intently, I never noticed how strangely shaped that scroll is.  What is with scroll art lowering the aesthetic appeal of these cards?  I do see what the artist was trying to do: make the paper look all foldy.  I don't think it entirely worked out, though.  It's another ho-hum image.
206. Militia
Okay, there is no way this art started off as 'militia.'  These guys are clearly crooked.  They're raiders or pillagers for sure.  I'd be interested in knowing some of the backstory of this art; it's interesting to get some perspective on the creative process.  Anyway, I don't care for the guy on the left's head, though the second one looks like a cool Pirates of the Caribbean reject.  His armor looks a little unnatural, though: could use some cuts or smudges to get across half the ruggedness needed for an Old Spice commercial.
205. Survivors
I like all of the Ruins images a lot other than this one.  The people at the bottom are all stretched and blurry, which I guess is just a stylistic choice that may appeal to some people (but not me).  The burning building is rad, though, I'll give it that.
204. Storeroom
This one is kind of a tough call because I think it's well-drawn; it's just a dull setting that doesn't inspire much excitement, and the way it's drawn is about what you'd expect to see with no interesting details.  Hey, they can't all be the winners.
203. Border Village
Don't get me wrong here.  This is a very nice scene, and the color choice is mostly good.  My problem is that the blue colors all blend together when you're looking at a tiny card, which makes this just look like a tidal wave to me.  It's another one that benefits from looking at scans. 
202. Smugglers

We are getting to the top of the lower tiers here, and you can tell because the pictures on this post are significantly better on the whole than the ones before it.  I like the style of Smugglers a lot.  It evokes a cool mood and the Smugglers, despite not looking super realistic, fit it well.  It could be a little bit TOO blue overall, but who am I to judge?  I'd give them a snuggle
201. Duchess

And here it is, the final image of the lower tiers.  Oh, it's pretty enough.  The baby is adorable.  The problem is... the Duchess herself freaks me out.  I am pretty sure she is an axe murderer or some kind of Stepford Wife, so my main man the Duke had better watch out.  I'm serious; sometimes I avoid looking at this card because her smile is more than a little creepy.  Actually, now that I look at the baby close... oh, man, it's staring in to my soul!  Enough!  Enough for now!

Next Post
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:30:50 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2014, 02:19:41 am »
+1

Wonderful Idea, and I am loving the execution so far. Maybe this will even get a little political considering how many members avatars' are dominion cards  ;D
You know who you are. . .
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:10:09 am by Ichimaru Gin »

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2014, 04:10:43 am »
+3

Ugh Fairgrounds is gorgeous. But I agree that the morose art contrasts with the card name and with the idea of the card.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2014, 04:22:10 am »

Fairgrounds has a very good art too, but I agree that it's unfitting. I like Storeroom, it's powerful like that, more detail would ruin it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2014, 07:05:11 am »

yes, storeroom is great

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2014, 07:12:21 am »

I find border village and bridge to be really nice art. Bridge and Storehouse just depict exactly what they say, and for me that's a feature.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2014, 11:19:04 am »
+9

The guy on the right in the Militia art reminds me of Riff Raff from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2014, 01:06:25 pm »
+17

I used to think Cellar had great artwork, but then Warehouse came out.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.