Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ultimate Dominion Storage Solution  (Read 4771 times)

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Ultimate Dominion Storage Solution
« on: December 10, 2011, 09:45:32 am »

Cornucopia has already overflowed the briefcase which I remodeled with custom plastic dividers.

With the announcement that next year's small and large expansion (plus promo card) will be the end of Dominion, we now know roughly how many Dominion cards there will be. Assuming I wish to also carry a few custom-designed Dominion cards, and further assuming we will not have weird-shaped extra bits with next year's expansions, I can create the last Dominion storage solution that I will ever need to build.

I have cheap access to a laser cutter at my local hacker space. The case will have wheels and an extendable handle, containing two shelves of vertically-stacked cards. It will be mostly 1/8" acrylic which I will buy from Alba Plastic. I considered birch plywood, but decided in favor of acrylic's strength.

One of the design challenges is the alphabet. I don't know what letters the forthcoming cards will start with.  I think I should laser-perforate/cut posterboard, engraved with the names of the cards, to make an individual sleeve for each stack of cards, so that they can be re-ordered. Laser-cut foam spacers will stand in for future expansions.

I tried architect modeling board (as most game boards are made from) and extra-thin mat board for the sleeves, but they didn't perforate well, or even fold well when scored. Besides, they're too heavy. I figure I can always just laser-cut more extra posterboard sleeves in case I need to replace them. They're cheap.

I can't laser any styrene or any other plastic with chlorine in it.

Thoughts?

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Dominion Storage Solution
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:24:20 am »

Personally, I wouldn't get hung up on alphabetizing the set (though that seems to be what many people do). It can be harder to find stuff when it's not alphabetized sure, but I would rather have to quick pack-away time than quick set-up time definitely, and it's frankly a pain to have to find the right place for everything every time - much better to just bung 'em in and rack up the next one (finding when not alpha is not hard). Also, a changing ordering can lead to serendipitous combinations appearing to the eye, where as alpha always leaves you looking at the same things. Personally I find it enough to colour code my dividers with the appropriate colour for card type (with bright, bold card), and keep them grouped like that (or not grouped at all) - much easier to make selections that way when going random-ish but with tweaking ("hmm, this table needs an attack").

Assuming I wish to also carry a few custom-designed Dominion cards, and further assuming we will not have weird-shaped extra bits with next year's expansions, I can create the last Dominion storage solution that I will ever need to build.
Overall though, this is the problem. Assumption is the mother of all cock ups as they say. I would just wait until the sets are out, then you can make a properly informed decision. Maybe it will come with some bits and bobs, who knows.

Also, wood is loads better than plastic/acrylic (ugh), for me at least. Strength is really not required here I think, it's not going to take a pounding and the cards are not all that heavy (for wood). Mine are in cardboard boxes and those have no problems.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 11:27:48 am by Octo »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.