Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Band of Misfits/Conspirator  (Read 6328 times)

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +291
    • View Profile
Band of Misfits/Conspirator
« on: July 20, 2014, 07:41:46 pm »
+1

Suppose that I play a Village, and then Band of Misfits as Conspirator. Do I get the +1 Card/+1 Action?
A similar case is if I play BoM as Village, and then play Conspirator. Essentially, does playing BoM as another card count as two played actions for Conspirator, or one?

My view is that since Band of Misfits reads "Play this", you're instructed to play it again. Similar to how Cultist says that you may play another Cultist, or how Herald plays the top card of your deck, you are playing Band of Misfits as Conspirator. But first, you had to play Band of Misfits, follow the instructions on the card, choose Conspirator, and then play BoM as though it was Conspirator.

I tried looking up the definition of "playing" a card in the rules, but it seems quite restrictive since it said that playing involves taking it from your hand and placing it in play, then following the instructions.
The Dominion FAQ at BGG http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Complete_and_All-Encompassing_Dominion_FAQ#toc14 says that, more generally, playing a card is announcing that you are playing it, placing it in your play area, and then following the instructions.

The way I see it, then, is that you must first play BoM, definitely counting as a played action. Then, you follow the directions on the card, and choose a card to treat it as. Then, you play it as that card, possibly counting as a second action. It does not enter play, but you follow the instructions.

An Action card played by another Action card(e.g. King's Court, Throne Room) counts as a played action for Conspirator. So the issue here is if playing an Action card with itself similarly counts as a played action, or doesn't.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Band of Misfits/Conspirator
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:52:11 pm »
+4

I'm pretty certain that BoM's "play this as if..." clause means more "when you play this, play it as if..." meaning that it affects how it is played without playing itself again.  I'm about 90% (yeah, yeah, 92% of percentages are made up on the spot) sure this is the correct answer.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 08:54:17 pm »

I don't have a particular rule to point to, but you don't get the bonus; BoM-as-Conspirator is still just 1 card played.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 09:34:28 pm »

I don't have a particular rule to point to, but you don't get the bonus; BoM-as-Conspirator is still just 1 card played.

according to goko. which isn't a proof.
(I do think it's correct though. but still).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 10:08:22 pm »

It's part of the clarification for how BoM works.  It's like you never played BoM, you only played whatever card you choose.  That's why BoM works the way it does with TR.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 11:08:02 pm »
+2

Suppose that I play a Village, and then Band of Misfits as Conspirator. Do I get the +1 Card/+1 Action?
No. BoM is played as another card, and that's just one card total being played.

ephesos

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 01:06:15 am »
+2

No. BoM is played as another card, and that's just one card total being played.

Alright, I guess a Donald X. ruling is good enough for me to play it that way. I'm still a little shaky on why though.

Doesn't Conspirator count played actions, not cards? So one card total doesn't necessarily mean one played action total. Like KC/Conspirator, where two cards are played, but the second play of Conspirator gets the bonus, since you've now played KC and 2 Conspirators, one of them not represented by a card.

I don't see how I could choose Conspirator without taking an action to do so, and choosing Conspirator is not on the Conspirator card, so it can't be part of the BoM as Conspirator action, so it must be part of the BoM action. Unless maybe choosing Conspirator is an instruction you follow on a played Action card that doesn't count as a played Action?

Maybe the full action is choosing Conspirator, then following the Conspirator actions as though they were on the same card as BoM. But then, if you copied the BoM/Conspirator action with KC, you would be forced to choose Conspirator each time, which doesn't happen with things like Pawn. Which is why I thought it went BoM, then BoM as Conspirator, which is the action you triple with a KC. FAQ specifically addresses it, so it could just be an exception to the rule.

I'm pretty certain that BoM's "play this as if..." clause means more "when you play this, play it as if..." meaning that it affects how it is played without playing itself again.
But it doesn't say that... it says "Play this as if". Adding those words changes the meaning (well, maybe at least the English meaning, if not the card's interpretation.)

If it said "Play a card from your hand as if it was Scout", I would not interpret that as meaning all cards played from your hand are now Scout, but as meaning take a card from your hand and play it, treating it as Scout. The only difference is that instead of a card from your hand, BoM is naming itself.

If you're concerned about "a card from your hand" being one of multiple possible cards, and thus different than a unique card, "this card", then it could read "the card in your hand furthest to the left", or "the first card you played this turn".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 01:38:25 am »
+4

You are correct, BoM does not follow the exact same wording rules as other cards. This was discussed at great length when Dark Ages was first released, possibly here. Basically, almost all action cards in Dominion have an imaginary "when you play this, " prepended to their text. But Band of Misfits, and Noble Brigand for that matter, do not. With BoM, instead of "when you play this, " the text is more like "this is how you play this card: ".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:03:58 am »
+2

I would say BoM functions similarly to Trader's "when you would gain a Silver". When you would play BoM, play it as something else instead.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 09:17:44 am »
+7

I would say
But do you say something else instead?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ephesos

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 12:32:01 am »
+7

It took 10 months and a new expansion, but DXV apparently has changed his mind and sees things my way now.... I think. Discussing these things is really confusing... but I'm definitely sure he said BoM as Conspirator counts as 2 Actions now, and not 1.

4. Ruling: BoM is never played, rather the card you chose is played. This means you chose the card before-play. It means Conspirator counts one played Action.

4: I think most people would think you only played one card with BoM. It doesn't tell you to play another card like TR or Golem. And there's just one physical card that hit the table.
The rulebook refers to "playing" Band of Misfits. So you clearly played that.

Let's say I BoM a Militia. Can you Moat it? Yes, you better be able to Moat that. So, Militia was played. You played both cards.

Conspirator is a confusing case; obv. I am sad it doesn't just count Action cards in play like Peddler. Conspirator counts Actions, not "cards," which helps a little; two Actions were played, BoM and whatever. So, Conspirator sees "I played BoM as Village" as "I played two Actions." A rulings reversal.

This is mostly for my own validation, but also so people looking for this interaction with Google see the right answer, since the ruling is hidden 3 pages deep in a thread about tokens.

ecm85

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 11:07:48 pm »

FWIW this is also on the BoM page explicitly, that it now counts for two actions for conspirator.

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Band_of_Misfits
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.