Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Windmill (Action)  (Read 2986 times)

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Windmill (Action)
« on: July 19, 2014, 05:46:53 pm »
+1

Because some people once mentioned that it is not nice to introduce a card without comments, I wrote this.
Code: [Select]
Windmill (Action)---(2)
Choose one:
+2 Cards
or
+2 Actions
---------------------------
When you gain this card, you
may put a card of your choice
from your discard pile on top of your deck.
If you do, each other player draws a card
and then discards a card from his hand.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Windmill (Action)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:55:05 pm »

Sounds too strong for $2 and also, the on-gain ability is incredibly complicated for what it is.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 05:59:01 pm »

What is complicate with the on-gain function?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »

The on gain is really wordy. Make it forced, that takes words out.

"When you gain this, put a card from your discard onto your deck. Each other player draws and discards a card."

Also, I don't find it super interesting. I'm not sure its worth it either, since the on gain almost always really helps your opponent.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 06:52:02 pm »

The on gain is really wordy. Make it forced, that takes words out.

"When you gain this, put a card from your discard onto your deck. Each other player draws and discards a card."

Also, I don't find it super interesting. I'm not sure its worth it either, since the on gain almost always really helps your opponent.

I don't think that works, if you want to topdeck any card from your discard pile, you probably need to copy the wording from scavanger, which is "look through your discard pile and put one card from it on top of your deck".

I also don't see the appeal of this card, and as i said here, i'm also not a fan of a card that lets you choose between actions and other stuff. if you try it, however, I would just drop the on-gain effect, unless there is a special reason why it's there.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 11:31:03 pm »
+1

OK, so. I think the card would be fine at $2 without the bonus for other players. +2 Cards and +2 Actions are both "worth" less than $2. Combine them and you probably have an acceptable $2 card. And the on-gain bonus is cute, but maybe not so good that it makes it cost more. I mean, it's not Inn's bonus. It's top-decking one card. So I'd go for this:

Windmill
Types: Action
Cost: $2
Choose one: +2 Cards; or +2 Actions.

When you gain this, look through your discard pile and put one card from it on top of your deck.

The real question is, is the on-gain bonus different enough from Herald to be interesting? I'm not sure it is, but your mileage may vary. The fact that it only costs $2 is significant. Also, unlike Herald, you're probably often buying Windmill specifically for that bonus.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 04:18:18 am »

OK, so. I think the card would be fine at $2 without the bonus for other players. +2 Cards and +2 Actions are both "worth" less than $2. Combine them and you probably have an acceptable $2 card. And the on-gain bonus is cute, but maybe not so good that it makes it cost more. I mean, it's not Inn's bonus. It's top-decking one card. So I'd go for this:

Windmill

When you gain this, look through your discard pile and put one card from it on top of your deck.

The real question is, is the on-gain bonus different enough from Herald to be interesting? I'm not sure it is, but your mileage may vary. The fact that it only costs $2 is significant. Also, unlike Herald, you're probably often buying Windmill specifically for that bonus.

Yes, that was the idea. The on-gain effect is (can be) the strongest part. The on-play effects are rather supplements. I believe that this can be really strong. For example in a 5/2 opening, buy a strong 5-cost card in turn 1, buy windmill in turn 2 and topdeck the strong 5-cost card. With good timing you get your best cards from the discard into your hand in your next turn. Therefore, I thought the opponents need a bonus as well for compensation. Awaclus thinks that my version is probably too strong. Your version is even stronger.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 04:22:02 am »
+1

I just wanted to say that I love the name.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 05:20:02 am »
+1

Windmill

Yes, that was the idea. The on-gain effect is (can be) the strongest part. The on-play effects are rather supplements. I believe that this can be really strong. For example in a 5/2 opening, buy a strong 5-cost card in turn 1, buy windmill in turn 2 and topdeck the strong 5-cost card. With good timing you get your best cards from the discard into your hand in your next turn. Therefore, I thought the opponents need a bonus as well for compensation. Awaclus thinks that my version is probably too strong. Your version is even stronger.
I like LFN's version more, but I think it should cost $3.

EDIT: And I don't think it's going to be the most powerful $3 or anything, but it doesn't have to be. People will buy it for its on-gain ability, people will buy it if it's the only village (at that price point) and people will buy it if they have $3 and nothing else is worth getting. Especially since the on-gain ability can be used to topdeck itself.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:28:57 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 12:37:03 pm »

Windmill

I like LFN's version more, but I think it should cost $3.
Okay, many thanks to you all. I'll try LastFootnotes version with a cost of (3).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.