« on: July 18, 2014, 10:33:11 am »
+1

Signet
2$ Treasure-Reaction
Worth 2$

Signet - Treasure - Reaction - 2$
Worth 2$
---
Whenever you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you did, or if it's in play, set aside the gained card and discard it when you shuffle your deck.

EDIT: Used silverspawn's improved wording.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:13:09 pm by popsofctown »

SK

• Baron
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
Re: Signet
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:40:10 am »

Kind of like a cushion between you and greening? I like it. Also, its a sort of soft counter to cusers.

This is an extremely intriguing idea. I think I will playtest this. Like...now.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:06:30 am »
+2

it's a cool idea, but the wording is pretty bad. 2 horizontal lines are never a good idea, and they aren't necessary either. I'm testing another card that uses the "discard after shuffle" mechanic, and I don't even use a mat. how about this:

Worth 2$
---
Whenever you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you did, or if it's in your play area, set aside the gained card and discard it the next time you shuffle your deck.

or, if you're willing to drop the from-hand Reaction, how about this even simpler version:

Signet - Treasure - 2$
Worth 2$
---
While this is in play, set aside all cards you gain. Discard them the next time you shuffle your deck.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 03:50:58 pm »

Thanks

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 04:01:51 pm »

The wording on the current version means that you have no choice but to set gained cards aside while Signet is in play.

Also, it would be better if it actually said "in play" rather than "in your play area".  They mean the same card but the latter is wordier, and no official card refers to the play area that I can recall.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 04:04:28 pm »

The wording on the current version means that you have no choice but to set gained cards aside while Signet is in play.
that's intentional, otherwise it would be strictly better than silver

Also, it would be better if it actually said "in play" rather than "in your play area".
if it's "in play", it also triggers if an opponent has it in play. for example, if you buy a IGG with a signet, the curse i get will be set aside.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 04:07:33 pm »

Also, it would be better if it actually said "in play" rather than "in your play area".
if it's "in play", it also triggers if an opponent has it in play. for example, if you buy a IGG with a signet, the curse i get will be set aside.

Fair point on the first thing; didn't notice it cost $2.

I think the second point is wrong.  It specifically says "when you gain a card", which should only apply to whomever has it in play, not to opponents.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 04:15:22 pm »

I think the second point is wrong.  It specifically says "when you gain a card", which should only apply to whomever has it in play, not to opponents.
if it's below a horizontal line it's a general rule, so I think it applies to everyone at all times.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 04:19:24 pm »
+2

if it's below a horizontal line it's a general rule, so I think it applies to everyone at all times.

The line just signifies that the text applies at a time other than when the card is played.  The line is used for reactions, "while in play" effects as well as general rules.  For the latter, note that Embargo says "a player" rather than "you".

Or for something even more specific to this situation, note that I am still affected by attacks even while you have Lighthouse in play.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 04:19:59 pm »
+2

I would avoid "creating" the word area and say "if you have it in play" or "if you played it this turn". The second is a slightly different effect (if you play it with Counterfeit, or if you buy Mint or Mandarin) but sounds better to me and the difference is a really edgy edge case anyway.

Also, discarding when you shuffle is strange, because while you are shuffling there is no deck or discard. Rules say to shuffle your discard, so discarding while shuffling may be interpreted as putting the card into the shuffle (which makes the card pointless, of course). I would say "after", "immediately after" or "right after" instead.

EDIT: eHalcyon is right regarding "you" meaning "whoever played this card". The fact that it is said below or above a line is non-important. And the Lighthouse example seems pretty definitive.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:21:01 pm by soulnet »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 04:27:37 pm »

yea, I think you're right about both points. so the fixed version should probably be:

Worth 2$
---
Whenever you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you did, or if you have it in play, set aside the gained card and discard it after the next time you shuffle your deck.

you could also do "after your next shuffle", but that seems less clean

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 05:09:51 pm »

you could also do "after your next shuffle", but that seems less clean

Also, "your next shuffle" seems like it is f.ds slang and not official Dominion rules text.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 05:16:32 pm »

I went with "when you shuffle your deck".  Since doing something "when" something happens means you do it right afterward Cultist and Feodum and whatnot.

"The next time" seems superfluous.  Without "the next time", I guess you are technically discarding it every time you shuffle for the rest of the game in perpetuity, but that works out ok since the card loses track of it once it leaves the set aside zone and all those extra times fail
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.