Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Virginia, DC, East Coast US Meetup? Perhaps?  (Read 38381 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia, DC, East Coast US Meetup? Perhaps?
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2014, 01:46:35 pm »

Definitely far more interested in this than MAGfest.  So count me in for this, but not that.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2014, 02:04:40 pm »

If enough people are only interested in the meetup and not magfest that weekend, I might also not go to Magfest.  We should get a clear list going so we know.

My guess is right now:
Andrew - Magfest and/or meetup
jsh - Magfest and/or meetup
wero - only meetup
blankman - only Magfest
Geo - only meetup
heron - only meetup?
Ahoppy - Unclear in general

If I'm right about these assumptions, the meetup seems valuable even on that weekend (23-25th)

My own personal schedule would be like, fly in Friday night hopefully, drive to Bethesda for lodging, drive to Board&brew/magfest Saturday, have fun, not sure about Sunday?  I'd probably be leaving Sunday evening.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:07:05 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2014, 02:27:19 pm »

I'm going to say neither... But I wish I could go

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2014, 03:36:16 pm »

OK, looked over stuff with my wife.

We do actually have the 23rd-26th off, so I'd be able to fly Friday and Monday.  I'd be able to do Magfest if I wanted as well, we just need to rent a car probably. 

My thinking is that I wouldn't want to be AT the convention the entire time anyway, so I could get the tickets and we could make plans for the meetup elsewhere (Board & Brew or otherwise) and I could make that too. 

Put me down for definitely going, then.  We were gonna use that weekend for ourselves regardless.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2014, 03:51:06 pm »

OK, looked over stuff with my wife.

We do actually have the 23rd-26th off, so I'd be able to fly Friday and Monday.  I'd be able to do Magfest if I wanted as well, we just need to rent a car probably. 

My thinking is that I wouldn't want to be AT the convention the entire time anyway, so I could get the tickets and we could make plans for the meetup elsewhere (Board & Brew or otherwise) and I could make that too. 

Put me down for definitely going, then.  We were gonna use that weekend for ourselves regardless.

That's how I feel about it as well. Alright! It looks like this is actually happening. Can anybody else commit to this?
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2014, 04:26:25 pm »

I got at least one friend to go with me so it looks like we're going!

AFAIK Board and Brew is not age-restricted.  I haven't been there, but a few friends told me it's more like a cafe than a bar, though as AndrewisFTTW mentions they do have beer. 

As far as dates, Jan 23-26 is MAGFest but otherwise Jan and Feb are fairly clear for me, and I live maybe half an hour from there, so I'd show up to a meetup.  Speaking of MAGFest, that is also an excellent place to gather and play games of all sorts, and if other f.ds-ers happen to be going, I might be convinced to bring my set.

Would you be willing to do a meetup in college park one of those nights? Do it for Jsh!

A meetup in College Park during MAGFest?  I'd probably skip that.  I have a bunch of out-of-town friends coming to MAGFest, so I'll want to spend time with them.  Many of them would happily play Dominion with us though, so I would definitely do a meetup with f.ds at MAGFest.  I would also do a meetup at Board and Brew on some other weekend, if that happened. 

For those worried about the cost of MAGFest, it's high now, but like most cons and festivals, it's lower if you buy early.  I only paid $30 because I got my ticket back in the summer, and did it with a group of 10 people for volume discount.  Even individually it would've been $35 back then.  So if you're interested in the fest but $60 is too much, there's always next year. 

BTW Temron is also close enough to maybe come out, he and I have chatted about DC area meetups too, so I'm gonna PM him to read this thread. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2014, 04:56:41 pm »

jsh, let me know if you want the latest high-res images for your "special cards" before these events. Sorry I've been lazy about updating them over the last several months.

EDIT: Also, you might want to specify whether you have regular or "premium" Mayday sleeves.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:00:05 pm by LastFootnote »

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2014, 05:05:03 pm »

Man, as much as I'd appreciate those, the thought of re-sleeving all the cards terrifies me now, especially with the new set on the horizon anyway.  I'm just gonna say don't worry about it.

I just have the regular Mayday sleeves.  Not premium.  If someone can't bring a sleeved set, it's fine; it just means we can probably only play one group of new cards at a time. 

I will see about shuffling around my cards and forming an extra set of base cards just in case.  Can also play using other cards as proxies.

There are other spoiler-ish solutions to this quandary.  I'll think of things.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2014, 05:12:25 pm »

I can bring a non-sleeved set, but that's probably not much help.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2014, 05:28:34 pm »

It could help.  I will devote some hours soon to sort out my collection and see what I can get together, then I'll let you know if I'll need assistance. I can avoid bring stuff like extra Colonies/Potions/Curses and work things out just fine.

Speaking of that, since I do not plan to bring all of my cards, list any cards you DO or DO NOT want to see from the old sets here.  I am already excluding Tournament, Urchin, Knights, Margrave, and Doctor for sure.  Will bring Watchtower, Prince and Black Market (BM deck will be just new set cards) at least.  If you have requests either way, speak here and I'll plan accordingly. 

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2014, 05:40:36 pm »

Sooo I actually don't own any sets. Sorry about that.

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2014, 05:41:28 pm »

I assume the "special cards" are the new expansion previews?  I would be really hype to see those, but MAGFest is enough of a public event that it might be a good idea to clear it with Donald and/or RGG before bringing them out there (if you haven't already done so, and if you're coming to the fest jsh). 

Also my dead-tree set is unfortunately not sleeved :(  I suppose I could sleeve it just for this, but I rarely even use it because I play so much more online than IRL. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:45:51 pm by theblankman »

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2014, 05:51:03 pm »

I am still deciding on Magfest; if there is enough interest to make the most of the days outside of there I may skip it.

I would only be playing with folks from here.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2014, 06:38:39 pm »

Do not count on me when organizing anything. However, once everything is locked down, I would consider making the lengthy trip by train from Chicago just for this (but not Magfest). Call me crazy. I'd bring my partially-sleeved set.

The odds I actually do this are about 10%. Just an fyi, I guess.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2014, 06:45:19 pm »

Do not count on me when organizing anything. However, once everything is locked down, I would consider making the lengthy trip by train from Chicago just for this (but not Magfest). Call me crazy. I'd bring my partially-sleeved set.

OR you could make a much shorter trip to Minnesota and play Dominion here:

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2014, 07:14:29 pm »
+1

I don't see anything after the end of your sentence?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2014, 07:26:29 pm »
+5

Yeah, you're supposed to play Dominion in that space after the end of his sentence.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2014, 07:26:47 pm »

Sorry, that was supposed to be a period, not a colon. Damn phone keyboard.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2014, 07:34:11 pm »
+1

There's a hidden link to iso there for sure.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2014, 08:46:23 pm »

I would try to make a meetup pretty much any weekend, but probably not willing to shell out for MAGfest. I would be invested in trying to make it a weekend when jsh could go because of these "special" cards. Let me know whether that weekend is going to be festing or a meetup and I'll see if I can work out logistics. I'll probably have enough work to do that if other people went to MAGfest for some part of the weekend and there was a solid amount of Dominion time in Board and Brew, I could just find a coffee shop or something and do homework, but if you guys are exclusively doing MAGfest then I won't come down.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2014, 08:59:27 pm »

I am pretty settled on not going to MAGfest at this point--I'd only get to go to part of it, and the only guest there I would want to see is SmoothMcgroove, but he isn't performing anyway.  A Dominion tournament could sway me, but we could just run a !newcards virginity tournament at the meetup if we really wanted to.  The winner gets a random f.ds post upvoted by everyone we can convince to do it.

For the record, I would be down to play/do stuff most of the day Saturday and Sunday myself.  I'm not sure what anyone else's schedule is, though.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2014, 09:03:29 pm »

I got my ticket to MAGfest and I'm probaably meeting up with Theblankman while I'm there, but I'm hoping we can set up a night at the Board and Brew during that weekend as well for everyone that isn't interested in MAGfest.

Right now we have five people (me, Jsh,  Geo, heron, and wero) who from what I can tell are willing to attend. I think that's pretty good. What do you guys think?

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2014, 09:04:56 pm »

It sounds like I'm the only one really thinking "MAGFest all weekend," and that's mainly cause of my prior plans to be there with friends.  If the "special cards" aren't coming to the fest, that might be enough to drag me away for a few hours (if I'm allowed to bring a few RL friends, that could be even more likely).  I guess the upshot for GeoLib is don't let the fest be your reason to skip this cause it sounds like there will be a separate f.ds meetup. 

btw jsh, there actually was a Dominion tournament at magfest last year, but it wasn't that great.  Four-player games, and due to limited supplies the first round was base only :-\

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2014, 09:11:41 pm »

Your friends are welcome to come and play a few games; I just ask that you guys keep the details to yourselves (like all of us have had to).  It's not about this-forum exclusivity, it's just about not telling the whole internet about it.  You won't have to wait long before we're making memes and talking about scout interactions here.  Probably.

And yeah, my experience with Dominion tourneys at big events has been spotty to say the least.  The first time I played at PAX the TO did a decent job mixing in the sets, but the second time it was a 4 player base-only snoozefest.  So it goes.

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2014, 09:27:22 pm »

It's not about this-forum exclusivity, it's just about not telling the whole internet about it. 
I figured as much, just thought it'd be polite to make sure before I potentially show up with more people.  I guess I'll play it by ear with my fest group, see Andrew for sure and maybe others. 

And yeah, my experience with Dominion tourneys at big events has been spotty to say the least.  The first time I played at PAX the TO did a decent job mixing in the sets, but the second time it was a 4 player base-only snoozefest.  So it goes.
Yeah magfest tourney last year was similar... they only had one or two copies of most expansions so the first round had to be base only and the TO couldn't really mix it up until later.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.