Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Virginia, DC, East Coast US Meetup? Perhaps?  (Read 38384 times)

Temron

• Baron
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia, DC, East Coast US Meetup? Perhaps?
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 09:25:35 pm »
+1

I live in Fredericksburg, VA and would be interested. There is a board game store in Falls Church, VA called The Compleat Strategist that might be able to host. Don't really know anyone there but I would be willing to check on it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 09:17:29 am »

I'm sure there has to be places in NYC where we could host an event.  I know there are a lot of gaming shops, and there are bars/lounges/etc. that have private spaces available.

I have an apartment in Hoboken (literally directly across the river) in which I could host people for socializing, but I'm unequipped in the way of tables and chairs to make gaming very viable.  Theory and Rrenaud probably have options as well, but I don't want to speak for them.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 09:28:01 am »

What about Lancaster, PA on Friday, August 8th and 9th?

Just in time for this.  http://boardgamers.org/yearbkex/dompge.htm

Both theory and I have a 2nd in this event, but no f.ds'ers have ever won.  Let's fix that this year.

I'll also buy large quantities of good beer for everyone of age.
The only day I could possibly make would've the 9th, which would probably be too late for the tournament. But are there any more PA people wanting to meet up? Even NYC might work for me

jl8e

• Steward
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 11:13:00 am »

I'm sure there has to be places in NYC where we could host an event.  I know there are a lot of gaming shops, and there are bars/lounges/etc. that have private spaces available.

I have an apartment in Hoboken (literally directly across the river) in which I could host people for socializing, but I'm unequipped in the way of tables and chairs to make gaming very viable.  Theory and Rrenaud probably have options as well, but I don't want to speak for them.

One possibility is The Uncommons, a gaming cafe in the village (230 Thompson Street).

(I’ve never actually been there, but people I know have, and it’s one of the places that the board game Meetup uses regularly.)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:14:11 am by jl8e »

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 12:59:07 pm »
+1

I'm probably moving to Raleigh, NC area end of august/early september, so I'm in for anything within driving distance of that.

Let me know if you're looking for games in general; I'm always looking for more people to join my game night.

OK, it's official. I start work in the research triangle Sept 22. I am always down for game nights. And I'm down for any meetups if it happens after then.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 01:06:59 pm »

I'm probably moving to Raleigh, NC area end of august/early september, so I'm in for anything within driving distance of that.

Let me know if you're looking for games in general; I'm always looking for more people to join my game night.

OK, it's official. I start work in the research triangle Sept 22. I am always down for game nights. And I'm down for any meetups if it happens after then.

Awesome! (Pre-emptive) welcome to the triangle! Send me a message closer to the time; it's a big area so you might not be all that close, but I host a weekly gamenight; and I know of at least 1 other with good people.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 01:47:05 pm »

I'd be down for a weekend thing in NYC after I get back to college (in Philly) in September. Virginia is probably a little far for me though.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 03:13:15 pm »

I'd be down for a weekend thing in NYC after I get back to college (in Philly) in September. Virginia is probably a little far for me though.

If we're looking to get all the VA/DC area folks (which it seems was kind of the intent), we'll probably end up somewhere in Northern VA (the DC suburbs). Not as far as, say, Richmond.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 11:45:12 pm »

I will not really be free until after August 21st.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 12:42:08 am »

If we're looking to get all the VA/DC area folks (which it seems was kind of the intent), we'll probably end up somewhere in Northern VA (the DC suburbs). Not as far as, say, Richmond.

For those of you not from the DC metro area, there is an interesting dynamic. Marylanders hate Virginia but love DC. Virginians hate Maryland but love DC. Washingtonians hate both Maryland and Virginia. So as a native Marylander, I'd like to vote against the meetup being in NOVA. Speaking of votes, we should take a poll!
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2014, 07:23:14 pm »
+1

For those of you not from the DC metro area, there is an interesting dynamic. Marylanders hate Virginia but love DC. Virginians hate Maryland but love DC. Washingtonians hate both Maryland and Virginia. So as a native Marylander, I'd like to vote against the meetup being in NOVA. Speaking of votes, we should take a poll!
That's got a lot to do with how painful it often is to drive across MD/VA line (there aren't many alternatives to the beltway and it often has bad traffic).  And for District folks, many don't need cars, so MD and VA mean riding out toward the far ends of the metro.  But it could be done, especially on a weekend when traffic lightens... I'm on the MD side but I go to VA regularly. 

There's a board game friendly cafe in College Park that could work as a venue (http://theboardandbrew.com/), and my local game store might consider it (http://www.dreamwizards.com/), though they have a pretty full calendar already.  And if someone put something together in the district or NOVA on a date when I'm free, I'd certainly make an effort to be there. 

Physically I have all sets, no promos, for what that's worth.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2014, 08:32:30 pm »

Nice! That place looks perfect, have you checked it out yet?

buggy

• Scout
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
    • Interactivities Ink
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2014, 09:14:32 pm »

I'll be running a Dominion tourney at TCEP in Sterling, Virginia over Labor Day weekend.  Unfortunately, it will probably be single-elimination 4p tourney.  Fortunately, it will not be Base only.  https://barkingmad.org/

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2014, 10:42:53 pm »

Nice! That place looks perfect, have you checked it out yet?
Which place, Dream Wizards or Board and Brew? 

Dream Wizards, I've been plenty of times, they're set up like most game stores: folding tables and chairs for tournaments and events.  The trick would be convincing them that hosting us is good for business (say we'll teach new people to play or something), and finding a good date that's not already taken by something like a Magic tournament. 

Board and Brew would probably be the simpler option, I think you just pay a nominal cover for table(s), but I'm not 100% sure, they just opened a few months ago, I haven't been there yet, and the web site doesn't say very much.  But I'm sure if we got a big enough group together they'd take some sort of reservation. 

While we're talking about things in the DC area, if anyone else plans to be at MAGFest next January, I'd be down to meet some f.ds-ers there and play a game or two there.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2014, 01:33:00 am »

I meant Board and Brew. They made it sound like they have a ton of games and I don't see why thwy wouldn't have Dominion. Maybe I'll go check it out with the woman in the next couple days and report back.

I'd be interested in checking out MAGFest but really I'm not that nerdy, I'm more of a wannabe-nerd. I'd have to show up with a couple really nerdy friends just to fit in.

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2014, 08:48:04 am »

Eh, some of MAGFest is over my nerd-level too, I just spend the weekend drinking, playing games and going to concerts with friends from out of town and sometimes total strangers.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2014, 02:18:49 am »

I'm in DC for a bit and would love a meet-up. One place to look into is a game store called Labyrinth Games. It's downtown DC (think Eastern Market) and has table space. It hosts game nights weekly but they get crowded with people who don't see the beauty of Dominion. I would imagine if one were to call, it could be arranged to host a Dominion fest there. I know they have table space for at least 25-30.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2014, 07:01:09 pm »

Bump!

My girlfriend and I finally checked out The Board and Brew in College Park a couple nights ago. Pretty sweet place, a ton of board games and they've got every set of Dominion. $5 (per table?) fee for playing games, beer (didn't check on non-alcoholic drinks), food, nice new clean place.

For the sake of organization, let's just say for now that the meetup will happen at this place in College Park. How many are willing travel there for a weekend? Post a prospective weekend that would be best for you in January or February.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2014, 07:04:40 pm »

Are you offering to host, or would we need to get a hotel?  I am not willing to drive 3+ hours both ways in one day.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 07:10:11 pm »

Ah yes, sleep. I guess that's what killed this conversation last time. I'm in a small apartment only have a small loveseat.

If you guys have air mattresses I have floorspace for two or three people.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:14:19 pm by AndrewisFTTW »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2014, 07:23:40 pm »
+1

It's a 7.5 hour drive for me.  I could maybe stretch it but it'd have to be worth going, heh.  When there are more details on the date etc I'll see. My sister in law lives 20 minutes from that place, though.  I could convince my wife to make it a road trip/flight for a visit possibly.  Again, let's hear a date.

My wife's really busy, but we have Jan 23-26 off if that is a possibility.  She is interested in the idea, I just checked; we'd be able to stay with her sister so it's low cost aside from air fare for us.

Also I have some special cards you might be interested in.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:37:28 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2014, 09:39:00 pm »

Well it's a 2 hour drive for me and I'd have to either borrow a car or investigate public transport (more like 4 hours, probably). It would have to be after I get back to school, so no earlier than the 23rd. On the plus side, I will be 21 by then! I could potentially see if I could crash with a friend at UMD. It's hard to know which weekend will work best, since it will be entirely dependent on homework load, but if you guys pick any weekend from Jan 23rd onward, I will try to make it happen.

Also I am interested in these special cards of Jsh's...
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2014, 10:16:37 pm »

Well it's a 2 hour drive for me and I'd have to either borrow a car or investigate public transport (more like 4 hours, probably). It would have to be after I get back to school, so no earlier than the 23rd. On the plus side, I will be 21 by then! I could potentially see if I could crash with a friend at UMD. It's hard to know which weekend will work best, since it will be entirely dependent on homework load, but if you guys pick any weekend from Jan 23rd onward, I will try to make it happen.

If you're in Virginia, I could pick you up on the way.

And I, too, am interested in Jsh's cards.

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2014, 10:20:48 pm »

If you're in Virginia, I could pick you up on the way.

And I, too, am interested in Jsh's cards.

Other direction (Philly). Thanks though!
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2014, 10:28:53 pm »

So I was just checking out the forum members map, and it looks like AJD, heron, and Robz are all close by and not already in this thread. If this becomes a thing we should PM them. Is the Board and Brew a 21 and over place? heron is still young IIRC. I also have ulterior motives with AJD because he's in Philly and maybe we could carpool or something.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.