Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fairgrounds + Silk Road : Viable strategy ?  (Read 1337 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Fairgrounds + Silk Road : Viable strategy ?
« on: December 09, 2011, 05:01:16 pm »

Here is a game I've lost.
I thought Fairgrounds + Silk Road would be a weak strategy because fairgrounds requires you to buy differents cards, and Silk Road requires you to rush on the others silk roads, and green cards. And unlike gardens or dukes, with fairgrounds you aren't going to "go green"...

And Here is another game I've lost, trying the Fairgrounds + silk roads strategy. I was too slow...

So, What do you think ?

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
Re: Fairgrounds + Silk Road : Viable strategy ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 05:07:29 pm »

You have some alternatives in the first game -

- Grab some Silk Roads or Fairgrounds yourself to block their points. (In particular, all things equal, if you'd grabbed one of his Silk Roads, that's already a won game.)

- One of the tricks here is that forcing you to go 8 Provinces anticipates that you'll be pretty slow. In this setup, Salvager would speed you up tremendously and its presence alone makes that sort of approach seem pretty dubious to me.

I'm sure there are boards where combining those can work, but I think it should have been a pretty stoppable strategy in the first game.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:11:24 pm by ackack »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 05:48:09 pm »

Fairgrounds isn't that involving of a strategy.  If there aren't many kingdom cards that are outright painful to buy and you aren't building an engine requiring copies of the same kind it's pretty much always worth a go.  I think maybe you were thinking of it as being "the fairgrounds strategy" a little too much.  It's more like "this setup has some discounted provinces for both players."

Regardless of whether you went Silk Road I think both of you should have been setting up for six point Fairgrounds that game.

EDIT: Didn't notice the game where you lost with the strategy.. but "an engine requiring copies of the same kind of card" is Bridge's middle name so..

And a Potion that is going to power only one Alchemist is painful to buy, as is Adventurer on nearly any board.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:51:10 pm by popsofctown »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 09:13:54 pm »

With fairgrounds in the kingdom you can probably expect more green cards to be bought than normal, so silk roads do promise more vp. I'd have said that the silk roads are more important than the fairgrounds, so unless you can grab the 15 different cards easily you should look to get a majority of silk roads then pick up 4vp fairgrounds, duchies, and estates, all of them boosting the silk roads. Although there are a lot of different ways to play the two games, I'm guessing this applies to both.
It's worth remembering that you need a lot of fairgrounds with an extra 2vp each to make the 15 cards worthwhile. There's also no point making a deck with the 15 different cards that finds it harder to buy fairgrounds than a conventional deck would find it to buy provinces. That is probably the case in game 2.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.