Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: stuck at loadscreen  (Read 4055 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
stuck at loadscreen
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:18:10 pm »
+1

a guy also mentioned this in the chat, so I assume it's not me. anyone else being unable to start games because it keeps freezing at the loading screen? It happened 5 times to me today, and I did lose rating every time. It might even count as quit%

yea dunno. it sucks.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: stuck at loadscreen
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 03:29:29 pm »

a guy also mentioned this in the chat, so I assume it's not me. anyone else being unable to start games because it keeps freezing at the loading screen? It happened 5 times to me today, and I did lose rating every time. It might even count as quit%

yea dunno. it sucks.

Yup, happened to me twice as well with rating loss.  Is this type of rating loss reflected on isotropish or does isotropish automatically filter out goko's erroneous games?
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 03:34:43 pm »

yea dunno. it sucks.

Yup, happened to me twice as well with rating loss.  Is this type of rating loss reflected on isotropish or does isotropish automatically filter out goko's erroneous games?
Is there a way to tell the difference between an error and just quitting yourself?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:55:19 pm »

yea dunno. it sucks.

Is there a way to tell the difference between an error and just quitting yourself?

I don't think so.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 04:12:09 pm »

yea dunno. it sucks.

I don't think so.

You could filter games that ended before turn 5, there is almost to quit that early so its probably goko bug.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:56:03 pm »

yea dunno. it sucks.

I don't think so.

You could filter games that ended before turn 5, there is almost to quit that early so its probably goko bug.
But if people knew that, there would be some people who abused the system every time they have an unlucky opening.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 07:02:22 pm »

yea dunno. it sucks.

I don't think so.

But if people knew that, there would be some people who abused the system every time they have an unlucky opening.
yea way too much is decided by the turn 3/4 draws. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would become #1 on the leaderbord if they can quit after turn 4 without losing anything

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 02:29:30 am »

yea dunno. it sucks.

I don't think so.

yea way too much is decided by the turn 3/4 draws. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would become #1 on the leaderbord if they can quit after turn 4 without losing anything

I think that's stretching it a bit, but it certainly would give an unfair edge and would be exploited by people.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 02:48:15 am »

yea dunno. it sucks.

I don't think so.

I think that's stretching it a bit, but it certainly would give an unfair edge and would be exploited by people.
Not sure if it's even stretching it a bit. In normal Dominion, yes, but since you know that you can just quit if your turns 3 and 4 don't go the way you'd like, you can pick much riskier strategies than usually even if the expectations wouldn't normally be high. Stuff that normally has a lower-than-50% probability of succeeding, even if it gives you just a slight advantage given success, is not normally a good play, but for the cheater being enabled by this system, it is.

For example, Feast/Procession on a Baker board is not a very good idea normally, but if you don't have to lose the game even if you fail at connecting the two cards, it suddenly becomes nuts.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:52:05 am by Awaclus »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
Possible modified rating method
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 03:32:42 am »
+1

Quote from: luser

One possible solution is for a rating system to count games somewhat less if they quit at the beginning. For example, if a game quits before both players have taken a turn, it’s weighted 1/3 as much as a regular game. If a game quits after each player has taken a turn, but before turn 5, then it could count 2/3 as much as a regular game. From turn 5 on it counts as the full amount.

It should be rare to see that your opening split is so bad that it’s better to take 1/3 of a loss than to fight it out. One other result is that if someone really didn't like playing with a certain card (or it’s a powerful card and you’re very bad with it compared to your opponent), this would make it less costly to your rating to resign games at the start.  But I don't think everyone would resign turn 1 upon seeing King's Court when facing Stef.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 20 queries.