Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Upgrade a spoils into...  (Read 11898 times)

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade a spoils into...
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 09:14:48 pm »

Same puzzle, but this time it is a 2 player game where...

1) Your opponent has already bought up all 10 Band of Misfits
2) He has set 8 of them aside with Islands
3) He has one of the remaining Band of Misfits in his hand of 5 cards
4) The last Band of Misfits is somewhere in his deck or discard (which total n cards)
5) He is trying to keep you from getting those Band of Misfits.

Now what is the maximum pure Victory card cost that you can upgrade a Spoils into?
What is the maximum value of n for which you can reliably do this?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:40:08 pm by Thanar »

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 09:18:34 pm »

Why didn't he just play the BoMs as islands?

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 09:56:00 pm »

Why didn't he just play the BoMs as islands?

He was a bit too eager and PileDriver'ed the Islands before he knew it.

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +291
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 07:48:02 pm »

It probably depends on what the other n cards in his deck are, in addition to how many there are. For example, if you're trying to trash the BoM with Rogues, it matters if the card he draws with it is Hunting Grounds and not Copper.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 08:00:37 pm »

It probably depends on what the other n cards in his deck are, in addition to how many there are. For example, if you're trying to trash the BoM with Rogues, it matters if the card he draws with it is Hunting Grounds and not Copper.
It does not matter much, it suffices to keep a kc-scheme-haven-militia-masquerade pin to get his entire deck. Once you get it you get rest of engine from native village that you set aside with haven.

Only way it could fail is if there is empty pile and opponent could empty coppers and curses.

Lotoreo

• Baron
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 03:26:29 am »

Hm, I can choose the rest of the deck at my choice? Then I use Ambassador on Ambassador twice, play multiple Governers, choosing +3 cards, until he has all cards in his hand, possess him, and take the BoM via the Ambassador he now has. I can only use them next turn though :(
Would it help to play an Outpost after the Possession? Not sure whats the order of the extra turns..

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 02:30:21 pm »

4) The last Band of Misfits is somewhere in his deck or discard (which total n cards)

Now what is the maximum pure Victory card cost that you can upgrade a Spoils into?
´

I'm not sure if I understand. Assuming that you still have to do it in one turn, you could use pillage to force him to discard the BoM, then chain saboteurs (there's 10 saboteurs, and you get to KC 9 of them, and Pr-Rogue the last one for bit more) until you hit both his BoMs, gain them with rogue, then just do the same as with the previous puzzle, only now instead of playing 4 BoM and KC a 5th, now you procession a BoM, gain it back with rogue, Pr the re-gained BoM, and KC the last. So the answer would still be the same!

The maximum value of n for which you can reliably do this depends on the composition of the deck of your opponent...

Another variant on the original problem: assuming that all cards but spoils have their printed cost increased by X, what is the value of X for which the answer to the original problem is highest?

I haven't completely figured out the answer yet, but there should be a couple of new tricks in there.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 04:52:08 pm »

it's possible to play 20 cards other than KC's three times, using a KC chain starting with a TR. so you can reduce cost by 60$, by playing all processions three times on BoMs and Bridges. If you set X=61, you then have BoM at 6$ and Bridge at 5$ and can still get all 10 bridges out of the trash, and some BoM. you can then follow the original plan... but you don't have the KC anymore, so you can play cards onlyl twice. Play BoM 7 times, then bridges 20 times, highway 10 times, princess once. that adds up to
60+7+20+10+2+1 = $100

this can probably be improved though, by moving procession up a layer. I had KC on the first layer of the chain, Procession on the second, and the bridges/band of misfits on the third, but if you also procession some KC's, you can gain them from the trash and play some more cards three times.

there's also a problem with how many cards you can even gain from the trash though.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 05:38:32 pm »

it's possible to play 20 cards other than KC's three times, using a KC chain starting with a TR. so you can reduce cost by 60$, by playing all processions three times on BoMs and Bridges. If you set X=61, you then have BoM at 6$ and Bridge at 5$ and can still get all 10 bridges out of the trash, and some BoM. you can then follow the original plan... but you don't have the KC anymore, so you can play cards onlyl twice. Play BoM 7 times, then bridges 20 times, highway 10 times, princess once. that adds up to
60+7+20+10+2+1 = $100

this can probably be improved though, by moving procession up a layer. I had KC on the first layer of the chain, Procession on the second, and the bridges/band of misfits on the third, but if you also procession some KC's, you can gain them from the trash and play some more cards three times.

there's also a problem with how many cards you can even gain from the trash though.

Another problem with your solution is that you start by playing 3*10 processions... but there's only 20 cards to procession. And the fact that you need to have a bridge in the supply for BoM to be able to play its part.
And, as you said, that there is a limit to the number of cards you can get back from the trash (the way you phrased your solution you are fine, because you are getting 16 cards back, which you can do with rogue and graverobber... but since there's that problem with 30 processions but only 20 cards, you would have to gain 10 more cards from the trash, and that's where problems start).
And the minor fact that you cannot play BoM 7 times and bridge 20 times, because all the Processions and King's courts are used up, and you used one Throne Room to start your KC chain. A minor fact that will become major when you try to solve the previous problem.

There are a couple more, but I'll wait until you can solve these (if you want to try to solve them) before mentioning them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:20:58 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 02:42:55 am »

also if you have all bridges, all KC and all highways and your opponent has all BOMs and all Islands i guess the game has enden allready

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 04:48:34 am »

´

I'm not sure if I understand. Assuming that you still have to do it in one turn, you could use pillage to force him to discard the BoM, then chain saboteurs (there's 10 saboteurs, and you get to KC 9 of them, and Pr-Rogue the last one for bit more) until you hit both his BoMs, gain them with rogue, then just do the same as with the previous puzzle, only now instead of playing 4 BoM and KC a 5th, now you procession a BoM, gain it back with rogue, Pr the re-gained BoM, and KC the last. So the answer would still be the same!

The maximum value of n for which you can reliably do this depends on the composition of the deck of your opponent...

Another variant on the original problem: assuming that all cards but spoils have their printed cost increased by X, what is the value of X for which the answer to the original problem is highest?

I haven't completely figured out the answer yet, but there should be a couple of new tricks in there.

Just 10 tr 10 processions, to play 10 bridges and 10 bom twice to get bom to 6, then play 10 rogues and graverobbers to get these back, ambassador a bridge, play 7 boms as bridge, gain bridge and now play 10-kc 10 bridge.

That with highways and princess gives 40+7+30+10+2+1 = 90 cost

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +291
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 11:55:06 am »
+1

´

Just 10 tr 10 processions, to play 10 bridges and 10 bom twice to get bom to 6, then play 10 rogues and graverobbers to get these back, ambassador a bridge, play 7 boms as bridge, gain bridge and now play 10-kc 10 bridge.

That with highways and princess gives 40+7+30+10+2+1 = 90 cost

Small improvement: You don't need all the BoM's(only 5 at most), and you only need 7 KC's to KC chain 10 bridges. So there's 3 KC's and a whole bunch of Rogue/Graverobbers to spare. One of the KC's you need to do 7 BoM, so there are only two left to use.
When you play out 10 Bridge/10 Graverobber, instead have Bridge at 6. Then, use 2 Rogue/Graverobbers or a KC'd Rogue/Graverobber to fish out Procession/Bridge from the trash, each costing 6. Play Procession/Bridge, fish the Bridge costing 4 out with a BoM, and then play 7 KC 10 Bridge.
So that's 2 more from an extra Procession/Bridge, making $92.

Also, when you Ambassador the Bridge, your opponent gets one. So you have to return 2, then find some way to trash out your opponent's Bridge and gain it before 7 BoM so it still costs $4 to $6, and get the Bridge in the supply back back with an Ironworks/Workshop/Armory(Bridge costing less than $4 after 7 BoM).

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 12:07:33 pm »

You're a horrible person.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.