Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Upgrade a spoils into...  (Read 11896 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Upgrade a spoils into...
« on: July 09, 2014, 12:50:10 pm »

Inspired by:

Upgrades spoils.

Into a Poor House?!?!?!
you can upgread spoils into a colony :)

Assuming there is a (pure) Victory card at each price point, what is the maximum printed cost of a card such that it is possible to gain it by trashing a spoils with Upgrade? Please provide a basic rundown of the turn!

After corrections from Sudgy and Mic Qsenoch (thanks!), the answer should be 50$

-> The replies contain spoilers, read at your own risk!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:02:03 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade a spoils into...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:07:10 pm »
+1

How'd you get to $74?  I can't think of any other cost reducers...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 01:11:45 pm »

Well, if the VP card is also an Action card it's doable.

30 Bridges + 10 Highways + Princess is 42 cost reduction.
Remember that Highway and Princess can't be KC'd.
10 Counterfeited Quarries adds 40. So that's 82 already.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:13:19 pm by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 01:13:23 pm »

If I wanted to be cheeky, I would say that in some sense there aren't any other cost reducers.

The VP card is not also an action card. And counterfeiting quarries actually doesn't work :P
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:14:36 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 01:14:08 pm »
+1

Quarry is while in play.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 01:16:38 pm »
+2

You can presumably play your bridges with procession and use graverobbers to get the bridges out of the trash to be played again with king's court.

You can't use the Procession-Rogue/Graverobber trick here because Processioning a Bridge makes it cost $2.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 01:17:20 pm »
+1

You can presumably play your bridges with procession and use graverobbers to get the bridges out of the trash to be played again with king's court.

You can only play one Bridge before Graverobber can't get them out of the trash anymore. So no Procession.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 01:17:37 pm »

Oh yeah, that's obv the trick.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 01:18:09 pm »

Damn you guys get in so quickly I haven't time to delete my posts when I see the numbers are wrong!

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 01:22:37 pm »

If I wanted to be cheeky, I would say that in some sense there aren't any other cost reducers.

PRINCE IS A PART OF IT

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 01:24:21 pm »

PRINCE IS A PART OF IT

Actually, I completely forgot that prince exists. I don't think it should affect the solution though. But nice thinking!

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 01:28:10 pm »
+2

This is a single Upgrade play, right? Directly from Spoils into the highest VP card. Not just a bunch of Upgrade plays?

Nobody has mentioned that you can get in 7 Band of Misfits plays (last 3 with KC-BoM) before it won't work as Bridge anymore.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:32:09 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 01:31:12 pm »

This is a single Upgrade play, right? Directly from Spoils into the highest VP card. Not just a bunch of Upgrade plays?

Nobody has mentioned that you can get in 7 Band of Misfits plays (last one as KC-BoM) before it won't work as Bridge anymore.

Eh, that was the basic idea, only I forgot about the part that it doesn't work as Bridge after a while; so pulling it off is quite easier (you just have to gain the last bridge after you play all your BoMs, everything else is straightforward), and the real result will be a lot lower: 50$. It's still 153VP if it follows the usual $-VP conversion...

You can also use the Procession-Rogue trick on BoM as bridge once, only of course now I realize it is quite pointless. Although another trick I hadn't used now becomes relevant. Nope it doesn't.

So yeah, unless someone finds some other trick, I hope you enjoyed this small puzzle  :P
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:23:29 pm by pacovf »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 01:53:04 pm »

you can also add 7 band of misfits. add 4, then it costs 1$ and is still more expansive than bridge, KC the last one.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 02:33:48 pm »
+21

The answer to the question as asked is $1. A Spoils can never be upgraded into anything costing more than $1.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 07:58:34 am »

You could simply 5 times throne a kc for playing 10 band of misfits, then gain a bridge and throne kc for 10 bridges, so correct answer is 72, 92 if its action card and we play black market with 10 quarries.

You could play kc even more times with processions playing kc-bridge, then gaining them back with graverobber.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 08:00:44 am »

You could simply 5 times throne a kc for playing 10 band of misfits, then gain a bridge and throne kc for 10 bridges, so correct answer is 72, 92 if its action card and we play black market with 10 quarries.

You could play kc even more times with processions playing kc-bridge, then gaining them back with graverobber.

no that's false, as i said you can only play 7 band of misfits max. after the fifth, band of misfits costs 0$, and then you can't imitate bridge anymore, because the card you imitate has to cost less than band of misfits itself.

that's false too, because once you procession a bridge, bridges will cost 2$, and you can only gain cards costing 3$-6$

I think the correct answer is

7 (from band of misfits)
+ 20 (from quarry)
+ 30 (from bridges)
+ 10 (from highways)
+2 (from princess)
+1 (from upgread)
equals $70
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:05:44 am by silverspawn »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 08:19:13 am »

no that's false, as i said you can only play 7 band of misfits max. after the fifth, band of misfits costs 0$, and then you can't imitate bridge anymore, because the card you imitate has to cost less than band of misfits itself.

that's false too, because once you procession a bridge, bridges will cost 2$, and you can only gain cards costing 3$-6$

7 (from band of misfits)
+ 20 (from quarry)
+ 30 (from bridges)
+ 10 (from highways)
+2 (from princess)
+1 (from upgread)
equals $70

Quarry wouldn't work because the gained card is a victory card, but otherwise I agree with your result.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 12:41:37 pm »
+2

7 (from band of misfits)
+ 20 (from quarry)
+ 30 (from bridges)
+ 10 (from highways)
+2 (from princess)
+1 (from upgread)
equals $70

Quarry wouldn't work because the gained card is a victory card, but otherwise I agree with your result.
It would if you would gained a hypernobles.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 01:01:24 pm »

Could someone explain what is being asked?  What does upgrade mean?  Does it specifically mean via Upgrade?  Does it need to be in one turn or in one play, or can several actions be strung together?
Well you *do* need a signature...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 01:08:17 pm »

Could someone explain what is being asked?  What does upgrade mean?  Does it specifically mean via Upgrade?  Does it need to be in one turn or in one play, or can several actions be strung together?

i think it means using the card upgrade once

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +291
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 03:43:06 pm »

Masquerade and Saboteur combined could get your 2 cost Bridges out of the trash for a while, assuming your opponent helps by gaining the Bridge for you, then passing it back.

e.g. 2 opponents, I Procession Bridge twice, Saboteur revealing 2 6-costs, they gain the Bridges back, and I Masquerade them slowly back to my hand. I can Procession the Bridge twice more, play a Highway, Saboteur revealing two Colonies, they gain the Bridges, and I pass them back to hand again.

So that's 4 Procession'd Bridges plus a Highway used for 9, with 10 Bridges, 9 Highways, and a Princess left. King's Court chain to 10 KC'd Bridges for 30, 9 Highways for 9, a Princess for 2, and the Upgrade itself for 1. 9+30+9+2+1=$51.

I haven't even used Band of Misfits... I'm sure there's a way though.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 03:44:03 pm »

Masquerade and Saboteur combined could get your 2 cost Bridges out of the trash for a while, assuming your opponent helps by gaining the Bridge for you, then passing it back.

e.g. 2 opponents, I Procession Bridge twice, Saboteur revealing 2 6-costs, they gain the Bridges back, and I Masquerade them slowly back to my hand. I can Procession the Bridge twice more, play a Highway, Saboteur revealing two Colonies, they gain the Bridges, and I pass them back to hand again.

So that's 4 Procession'd Bridges plus a Highway used for 9, with 10 Bridges, 9 Highways, and a Princess left. King's Court chain to 10 KC'd Bridges for 30, 9 Highways for 9, a Princess for 2, and the Upgrade itself for 1. 9+30+9+2+1=$51.

Saboteur doesn't gain from the trash.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 04:54:06 pm »

i think it means using the card upgrade once

I've edited the OP. Hopefully it is more clear now!

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +291
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 06:32:15 pm »

Saboteur doesn't gain from the trash.
Wow, I really messed that up... I don't know why I even thought that it did.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.