Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Season 2 has started!  (Read 4123 times)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Season 2 has started!
« on: July 05, 2014, 08:43:10 am »
+9

I just created all the groups & threads for season 2.
One day too early compared to the original plan, but that's because I'm on vacation for a week starting tomorrow.

Have fun with your matches everybody!

Some comments on the new groups:
It turned out the new players were stronger then I realized. Free promotions to B were given to Obi Wan Bonogi, Titandrake and e, all new players.
The free promotions to C were given to Warrior & QwertZuiop.
I created an E division, mainly because some players won only very few games last season in D. Also some players specifically asked to be placed in E.
It didn't turn out to become a "group of inactives", because all inactive players from last season decided not to return on their own.
Join the Dominion League!

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2 has started!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 10:35:51 am »
+2

Have you considered than the difference in the ranking between some of the new players put into B and some of the candidates for free promotions from C (not me, but qmech for instance) is really slim? I feel like some priority should be given to players already on the league, unless the difference is really big (like in the case of Obi Wan Bonogi).

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 11:27:31 am »
+5

Have you considered than the difference in the ranking between some of the new players put into B and some of the candidates for free promotions from C (not me, but qmech for instance) is really slim? I feel like some priority should be given to players already on the league, unless the difference is really big (like in the case of Obi Wan Bonogi).

Yes I have considered the gap, and the new players were ranked quite a bit higher then the ones staying.
Qmech (#71) got closest indeed, but Obi Wan Bonogo (#18), Titandrake  (#48), e (#42) and also Warrior (#70) were higher on the list.

I wouldn't mind doing it all based on how I feel, and then perhaps I would have distributed the free promotions differently, but that just causes too much discussion. So I didn't consider it important enough to break my own rules here. If you really want to promote, the way to do it is rank #1. If you don't make it, try again next season which will be soon because of the short cycles. The only rule "protecting" people in the League is that you can't get a free promotion into A unless you were in B the season before.
Join the Dominion League!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 04:03:51 pm »
+1

I agree with soulnet and feel really bad about qmech not promoting. He was equally in points and only the third tie-breaker decided that I advanced instead of him. If he would have won the tie-breaker we both probably would have made it. The fact alone that he was tied with the first place should have been enough of a reason to get a free promotion, let alone the fact that he also is pretty high on the leaderboard. Well, now it's too late, maybe something to consider next time.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 07:17:15 pm »

Given the leaderboards at the time the groups were made, I do understand, but I wasn't actually expecting to get straight into B. That came from personal context; my leaderboard ranking is my all-time best, while qmech is still climbing AFAIK.

I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 01:23:14 am »

It sounds like I might be taking a deserving spot from someone who looked to be promoted.  Should it prove to be an issue I have no problem starting at a lower level if it's not too late to accommodate that, being both new to the league and pretty rusty having not played much in the past months. 

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 09:48:14 am »
+2

The flip side is that I'm sure any C division player who happened to be in your group would feel pretty short-changed.  You would easily be a clear favorite to advance to B and it would be very disheartening as a C player wanting to advance to see such a top-tier player randomly throne into their group.

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 11:47:36 am »
+1

The flip side is that I'm sure any C division player who happened to be in your group would feel pretty short-changed.  You would easily be a clear favorite to advance to B and it would be very disheartening as a C player wanting to advance to see such a top-tier player randomly throne into their group.

That is true. I was not referring to OWB as someone to send to C, but mosty the guys that were closer to qmech in the ranking.

Also, as a counterpoint, I think the disheart can be offset by the fact that you can feel more confident on possibly getting extra promotions. If it were me, I would be thrilled to play OWB or any other high ranking opponent I may have. That's the whole point of promoting anyway.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 01:50:30 am »

Due to starting a new job and having way less free time for playing I have to sign out from this season and further ones. I haven't played any games yet. I have already informed my group in the scheduling thread. Sorry for trouble, good luck to remaining participants, maybe I'll be back someday.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 11:27:30 pm »

Unfortunately, I too will have to withdraw. I was having difficult scheduling my matches already (certainly not the fault of any of my opponents) but things are starting to come up that will make it even more difficult.

I will probably also not be around for the start of season 3, but I will see what happens around the time season 4 is gearing up to decide if I should try again.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 09:21:49 am »
+2

B2 won :) We are first to finish all games :)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 11:35:31 am »
+1

B2 won :) We are first to finish all games :)

I didn't lose a single match and still didn't advance, I guess 4 ties just wasn't enough. Congrats yed.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 21 queries.