Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Season two - Game reports & discussion: A + B  (Read 15298 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: Game reports & discussion: A + B
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 02:26:48 am »
+2

Titandrake vs Tao Chen

If you see blank squares, those are Hunting Grounds - something weird is going on with that particular card's image url.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140806/log.505d34a8fca2594308272c72.1407387611304.txt

Code: [Select]
Native Village, Doctor, Village, Familiar, Horse Traders, Catacombs, Contraband, Haggler, Library, Mint
Tao Chen gets rotten Familiar luck (potion misses reshuffle), I get a good Doctor overpay midgame (all 4 cards revealed trashed.) Not much to say, a pretty simple 3 pile steamroll.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140806/log.505d34a8fca2594308272c72.1407388293763.txt

Masterpiece, Gardens, Mining Village, Scout, Throne Room, Governor, Harvest, Saboteur, Hunting Grounds, King's Court
Kind of a weird board - no +Buy and the pseudo-buy is Governor. So despite great draw engine setup, we both go for a standard Governor strategy. Tao Chen builds more, I dip into Gold->Province ASAP. I think building is better - he misses $5 on turns 3 and 4 but still almost wins. He loses because my Silver->Gardens and Hunting Grounds->gain 3 Estates->KC trash on the last turn get me just past the 30 card boundary on the same turn he does. Masterpiece-Gardens doesn't feel competitive against uncontested Governor, but I'm sure one of us missed a good turn to Masterpiece overpay. Or maybe not - only one buy means you usually want something else, plus all those Silvers mean you can't draw Governor as often.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140806/log.505d34a8fca2594308272c72.1407389995202.txt

Apothecary, Lookout, Market Square, Shanty Town, Storeroom, Woodcutter, Scout, Band of Misfits, Journeyman, Tribute
The dream was to Apothecary to draw all Coppers, Storeroom discards Coppers for money, Apothecary to redraw them. Then Tao Chen splits Apothecaries 6-4 thanks to the 2nd Potion, so I can't do that anymore. I decide my best chances are to rush down single Provinces because I can't build as fast and won't have as good payload. It looks like it isn't fast enough, but his deck stumbles a lot in the endgame and I manage to clutch out the tie. Really didn't expect to not lose there - I think he got bad shuffle luck in the end (Storeroom should be enough to overcome the VP accumulation from Apothecary.)

Maybe a pivot to Shanty Town-Journeyman would have been better for me? I name Copper with Journeyman, let Apothecary draw the rest? Has promise, at least. There might have been room for a BoM as Lookout, reveal MS to gain Gold for me as well, but I could never get a turn where they were both in my hand and I could go for it - hitting $8 felt more important.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140806/log.505d34a8fca2594308272c72.1407390904658.txt

Beggar, Chapel, Doctor, Lookout, Tunnel, Baron, Militia, Taxman, Catacombs, Hunting Grounds
I completely miss Tunnel, then trash so much that I have to play Militia to buy my own Tunnel, then have so few cards that I keep drawing Catacombs with Tunnel and have to spend more turns waiting to actually activate it. Just bad play all around from me.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140806/log.505d34a8fca2594308272c72.1407391697429.txt

Fool's Gold, Herbalist, Masterpiece, Sage, Gardens, Sea Hag, Council Room, Ill-Gotten Gains, Pillage, Farmland
There are lots of great Gardens enablers, but when you have 5/2 with CR/FG on board...I go for it, and despite some iffy shuffle luck (Hag discards a CR, then I draw both my CRs at the end of a painfully long shuffle with most of my FG) I still end up winning. Opening luck through and through here.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140806/log.505d34a8fca2594308272c72.1407392326736.txt

Embargo, Vagrant, Chancellor, Baron, Horse Traders, Pirate Ship, Spy, Graverobber, Jester, Merchant Ship
I do HT/Silver into Ship, then Jester. Tao Chen does Baron/Silver into pure Jester. I like my HT opening because it helps mitigate Jester, and Tao Chen's Baron both misses shuffle and hits no Estates on turn 5. Should have this in the bag, right? Well, no. Either I did something very wrong I didn't realize, or Jester-BM is much stronger than I thought it was. Or, maybe Merchant Ship-BM is weaker than I thought, or maybe it's actually good enough and my Ship + Jesters should have pure Ships. I don't know.

Interesting set - it does feel like I won many of my games off strong luck though. No crazy colossal engine, although I suppose the Apothecary board would have been one if we had split 5-5.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:52:02 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 09:52:32 am »

I love how with 1 game remaining for each player in B1 any 1 of 5 players could still win the division. 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 12:32:37 pm »

I love how with 1 game remaining for each player in B1 any 1 of 5 players could still win the division.

The corollary is that any 1 of those 5 players can get demoted D:

Monsieur X

• Bishop
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 03:13:45 pm »

Yes, thats incredible!
A multi-stream of the 3 matches at the same time would have been very funny to look!!  (but not easy to make!)

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 03:14:30 pm »

I think you underestimated KC in the 2nd game given the presence of Saboteur as an attack. Masterpiece might mitigate the damage of KC-Sab slightly, but it might not be enough. Also, although +buy is lacking, using the governor upgrade on silvers from Masterpiece might be a good way to gain cards.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 04:19:47 pm »

I think you underestimated KC in the 2nd game given the presence of Saboteur as an attack. Masterpiece might mitigate the damage of KC-Sab slightly, but it might not be enough. Also, although +buy is lacking, using the governor upgrade on silvers from Masterpiece might be a good way to gain cards.

Not convinced it's good enough - you're probably using Governor to get to $7 because you want it to remodel things, so the games going to be pretty fast thanks to everybody getting a benefit. Silver flood from Masterpiece can let you Silver->Gardens on an opponent remodel, and I think that's good enough. My feeling was that by the time you hit $7, you will probably have a decent number of Governors and already have Silvers clogging your deck, and that + no Copper trash makes KC not so great. We both do pick one up when the opportunity is there, but it doesn't have time to do much of anything (I think Tao Chen plays it once or twice, I get no plays out of it.)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 01:48:37 pm »

Game 6: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140805/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1407247594664.txt

Candlestick Maker, Black Market, Great Hall, Shanty Town, Trade Route, Warehouse, Island, Monument, Counterfeit, Horn of Plenty, Library
Nothing really going on here. We both open Black Market/Warehouse, but my opening buys both miss the shuffle while he gets Masquerade out of the BM deck. I feel already way behind. I then get Monument and Silver and aim for Counterfeits and indeed I get 2 Counterfeits in turn 5 and 6. I then trash heavily with Counterfeit while grabbing Gold and in turn 10 I hit Platinum. yed gets Oracle from the BM and buids the engine I was not capable building because of bad Black Market luck. He eventually gets the Horns he needed and has a decent Shanty Town/Warehouse engine going on. But the engine is still weak. I get a second Platinum and green immediately. yed also gets Platinum from his Horns which he later regrets. From turn 17 on I get lucky draws and hit Colony nearly every turn while yed has trouble with his engine and has to cash in some of his Horns for Provinces. But I have a big enough lead and can end the game on Colonies.

Yed needed Library. Not sure if he missed it on the second page or if he saw it and then forgot about it. Library refills his hand after Warehouse and Shanty Town and helps enable dream turns where you play Black Market, play all treasures from hand, including gaining from Horn of Plenty, then draw and play the gained cards. With Library the plan to mega-turn all 8 Provinces seems realistic (if you get to 8 uniques early in a turn you can play Black Market, cash in Horns for Provinces, and then refill your hand with Library).

With this plan the Monument buy would not do much for him (he'll easily get to 8 uniques without it, and the important part is being able to mega-turn before you have 48 points). Given that Library supports the engine so well, you should have probably gone for the engine as well, even though he'd have an edge because he pulled Masquerade from Black Market.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 02:26:16 pm »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2014, 11:30:12 am »

Yes, thats incredible!
A multi-stream of the 3 matches at the same time would have been very funny to look!!  (but not easy to make!)

For speedrunning marathons or big races, there will very often be four peoples' streams on one channel at a time while they're all talking on Skype -- it appears there's a way to directly pipe one person's stream to another and it's not that complicated, I just don't know what it is.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2014, 10:40:27 pm »
+1

Titandrake vs HME

Going to try to keep this brief.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140814/log.5135b68ce4b07f4f52107e0e.1408073230184.txt
Hermit, Advisor, Island, Procession, Treasure Map, Band of Misfits, Butcher, Duke, Outpost, Rebuild
Both open Hermit/Silver, I miss $5 on turns 3/4 and HME doesn't, HME goes for Butcher first over Rebuild. With Duke out, you'll really want to hit $5 every turn, and you aren't in as big a rush to get Duchies for Rebuilding to Province, so makes sense to me. I get horribly behind in Duchies and that's it. I think Silver/Silver is better than Hermit/Silver opening here - get to $5 with a higher chance, you don't need the Hermit gaining right away.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140814/log.5135b68ce4b07f4f52107e0e.1408074352872.txt
Vagrant, Advisor, Caravan, Cutpurse, Moneylender, Trader, Cartographer, Graverobber, Hunting Grounds, Expand
Both do Moneylender/Silver into this odd endgoal of playing an Expand every turn. Maybe Caravan-BM is better than this silliness...anyways, I don't get as much time to buy treasures and rely solely on Expanding $5+ costs to get Provinces, which ends up bad when I run out of those $5 costs. Should have built a bit more, and accepted that I was behind. Instead I did the same strategy from a worse position and I couldn't hold it out.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140814/log.5135b68ce4b07f4f52107e0e.1408075927751.txt
Cellar, Urchin, Woodcutter, Scout, Spice Merchant, Talisman, Count, Mine, Witch, Nobles
I do Urchin/Urchin and they collide to give Merc. HME does Silver/Silver and misses $5 on both turns 3 and 4, having to settle for Urchins. My early Merc keeps going, then I get Nobles, then Witch, and 3 pile after getting most of the Nobles and emptying Curses. Not really anything HME can do about the luck here.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140815/log.5135b68ce4b07f4f52107e0e.1408136439239.txt
Courtyard, Herbalist, Trade Route, Farming Village, Marauder, Rats, Spy, Band of Misfits, Altar, Forge
Hitting $7 before HME lets me trash a good deal faster. I picked up Marauder in the opening but only played it once or twice - turns out there are cards you really want to play more. Still, I think those plays ended up being the key difference...anyways, use Altar to get lots of BoM. Use BoM as Farming Village and Courtyard for the draw engine. It's pretty nice, topdeck VP cards and discard with the FV. Finally, use BoM as Rats to gain rats, which can be Forged into Provinces pretty much every turn. It takes a while to come together, but uncontested it should beat out Courtyard-BM if played right.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140815/log.5135b68ce4b07f4f52107e0e.1408138935079.txt
Ambassador, Farming Village, Mining Village, Silk Road, Spy, Library, Market, Mine, Rabble, Wharf
I open FV/Ambassador because I really like the $4 village/Amb opening. HME opens Amb/Silver, which gets a faster Wharf. I'm behind early, but eventually catch back up. I'm in a good position until Rabble hits 2 Wharves - we split Wharves 5-5, and are both alternating behind 2 and 3 Wharf durations each turn. HME's Rabble hit on a 2 Wharf turn, so I don't have the draw to get a reshuffle and draw those Wharves. With the durations, my deck had enough draw - without it, I stall out and can't get enough Wharf plays per turn to do much of anything.

Edit: Oh, one thing that's weird in this game is that FV and MV become better at different points. Farming Village doesn't let you draw Estates, so you can't return them without other draw. However, early on it could let you cycle to Ambassador faster. Mining Village becomes better at some point in the midgame, but I think Farming is better on the very early turns. It's all about the subtleties.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140815/log.5135b68ce4b07f4f52107e0e.1408139723421.txt
Courtyard, Crossroads, Masquerade, Watchtower, Marauder, Navigator, Noble Brigand, Remodel, Jester, Saboteur
At this point, I know this game doesn't matter for standings - no matter who wins this game, no positions change. So, I go right for Masq-BM, with some NB and Jester. Both HME and I decide I buy NB too early, but it still ends with a 1 VP differential. My deck ends up with too many terminals at the end, I probably should have picked up a 2nd Masq to help trash out the NBs after I play them. Don't think there's much else to this game - it's all about what Jester/NB hits, and the general shuffle luck.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:41:38 am by Titandrake »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.