Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Season two - Game reports & discussion: D + E  (Read 14263 times)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Season two - Game reports & discussion: D + E
« on: July 05, 2014, 08:29:02 am »

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:12:19 pm by -Stef- »
Join the Dominion League!

Adrien

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Game reports & discussion: D + E
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:39:00 pm »

anyone in the D5 for a game right now ?

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 10:32:20 am »
+2

Here's a report about my match vs. KingZog in D3.

Game 1: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140708/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1404871584392.txt

Code: [Select]
Pearl Diver, Hermit, Steward, Conspirator, Envoy, Militia, Sea Hag, Duke, Junk Dealer, Royal Seal
We both opened Militia/Steward, and consequently we both ignored Sea Hag.  Eventually we both settled on a single envoy and money.  Our decks were fairly similar, but KingZog had an envoy turn hit only 7, and got militia-ed out of another Province, and I snuck out a victory as second player.

Game 2:  http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140708/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1404871945061.txt

University, Warehouse, Workshop, Farming Village, Gardens, Horse Traders, Spice Merchant, Contraband, Festival, Mountebank
We both went workshop/gardens (after opening horse traders with our four for some reason.  I'll admit to simply not seeing the workshop until turn 2).  I won the workshop split, but they collided often, and KingZog split the gardens and won the estate split, so again second player won.

Game 3: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140708/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1404872576024.txt

Scheme, Farming Village, Horse Traders, Navigator, Salvager, Tournament, Treasure Map, Explorer, Knights, Adventurer
KingZog went first, had 5 coppers and grabbed Sylvia.  I went HT/Silver, and on turn 3 KingZog hit the HT with Sylvia, buying a gold.  I had 4, knew I had 4 turn four as well, felt I was way behind, so I grabbed two Treasure Maps and crossed my fingers.  They collided turn 7 (with no assistance).  I was also grabbing tournaments and provinces, and got the prizes.  KingZog grabbed more knights to counter, but the luck was too much to counter.  I feel bad about winning this one; I played to what I thought was my out, but still, brutal for him.  Oh, and yet again, second player one.

Game 4: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140708/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1404873177532.txt

Embargo, Sage, Tunnel, Wishing Well, Moneylender, Taxman, Cartographer, Contraband, Soothsayer, Adventurer
KingZog went first, but I had the 2/5 split to pick up an early Soothsayer.  This led to me winning the curse (and gold) split.  I picked up a cartographer to help filter, while KingZog went Adventurer.  I think I like the cartographer better here, since it won't skip the soothsayer, and lets me skip copper if need be.  Certainly it worked here, as I cruised to a relatively comfortable win.  Four games, four second player wins.

Game 5: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140708/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1404874635156.txt

Cellar, Urchin, Alchemist, Horse Traders, Procession, Rats, Baker, Cartographer, Stables, Goons
Baker board.  I started Urchin/HT, saving the token, while KingZog went Urchin/Stables.  I got an early Goods, and we both trashed down with Mercenary, but KingZog did so more effectively.  I think the early stables helped here, and I wish I had gotten one.  Eventually he grabbed two Goons (to play with Necropolis).  I started to green frantically, but I cashed in my coins for a double province turn too early I think, choked, and KingZog's better deck sealed the win.  Five games, and five second player wins.  Maybe first-player advantage doesn't exist in D3.

Game 6: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140708/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1404875102487.txt

Haven, Storeroom, Woodcutter, Scout, Thief, Ill-Gotten Gains, Library, Merchant Ship, Rebuild, Hoard
Despite being a shelters game, we both played for rebuild.  I opened Silver/Woodcutter, and KingZog opened Silver/Storeroom.  I picked up a rebuild on turns 3 and 4, hoping I could buy some estates before too long, while KingZog got Rebuild/Estate.  Alas, turn 5 had both rebuilds and the overgrown estate (and I neglected to play a rebuild to force a reshuffle).  Nevertheless, I hit 5 much more regularly throughout the game, and felt fairly comfortable-I won the duchy split, and then the province split, and hence the game, and the match (finally the first player won).

Thanks to KingZog for the games.  If and when we meet for season 3, we can hope for some more engine-like games (we only saw two villages) and you can destroy me to make up for the BM/slog games or irrational luck that let me get the victory. 

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 10:57:06 am »
+2

Game 1: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140708/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1404871584392.txt

Pearl Diver, Hermit, Steward, Conspirator, Envoy, Militia, Sea Hag, Duke, Junk Dealer, Royal Seal

This one looks like a clear Duke board, but it gets ignored entirely. Hermit for Estate -> Silver is awesome for Dukes and Militia really hurts Province strategies here.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 07:48:28 am »
+1

D5, adrien vs assemble me

First game this season. I've had a lot of draws last season, this season I really want to win a few games ;). The D league looks stronger than last year looking at my opponents' Iso levels but today we are very near so a win could be possible.

As always, I'm very, very happy for any input regarding those games - thanks

Game 1

Cellar, Hermit, Menagerie, Watchtower, Remake, Talisman, Band of Misfits, Wharf, Border Village, Grand Market
Provinces / Shelters

assemble me starts, adrien wins

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140711/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1405103405414.txt

First board and a great engine board right away. Remake is not the greatest thing ever because of Shelters. I open Hermit/Silver and my plan is to get lots of Border Villages and Wharves. He opens Hermit/Talisman to get extra Menageries. I'm not convinced of Talisman for Menagerie here, Wharf is just SO good. I'm getting a Remake for some Copper trashing (don't really know if it's been worth it.).
I'm winning the Wharf split 6-4 and also have two extra border Villages, he has an extra Menagerie. After drawing my deck I think I want to build for double Province turns and decide to trash two coppers and buy Grand Market + Menagerie. While ending my turn, I saw that it might have been a mistake because there were only two Border Villages and two Menageries left. With Remake it was very easy for him to end it on a win. So, I really screwed up my endgame, I think my deck was better.

0-1

Game 2

Forager, Masterpiece, Ironworks, Quarry, Cartographer, Council Room, Duke, Inn, Venture, Hoard
Provinces / Estates

adrien starts, assemble me wins

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140711/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1405103918474.txt

Another nice board here. Council Room / Big Money is good, and there's also Hoard to support it and maybe Masterpiece. Hoard and Masterpiece should be really nice for Duchy/Duke, too, but I prefer Hoard. You could also build an engine with Forager, Quarry, Council Room and Inn, which is what he does. I really like Alt-VP Slogs and with Hoard it should be quite nice. So he opens Ironworks/Silver and I open Silver/Silver. I'm getting 3/7 on my second shuffle which is great because I can buy my Hoard and start buying Duchies.
He denies me three Duchies and can start to draw some nice potions of his deck, but I'm getting a big points lead. I also have time to stop for a second Hoard as I hit 6$ right before a reshuffle, although I think a Masterpiece would have been much better at that point. But, it doesn't really matter, my lead becomes bigger. He helps me piling Estates and I win convincingly

1-1

Game 3

Embargo, Fool's Gold, Watchtower, Spice Merchant, Young Witch, Catacombs, Counterfeit, Journeyman, Royal Seal, Soothsayer, Wharf
Bane: Watchtower
Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140711/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1405104601858.txt

I found this board pretty hard to evaluate. There's Fool's Gold with Spice Merchant (and Whaf, but neither of us had 5/2). There's also Young Witch and Soothsayer which make connecting Fool's Golds harder, but then there's some good draw with Wharf, Journeyman and Catacombs. Watchtower isn't the best bane, you probably want to use it rather the usual way then as a moat, but it also protects against Soothsayer. Counterfeit works well with Fool's Gold and with the extra golds from Soothsayer. The questions are if you want Fool's Gold at all or if it's too unlikely that they will connect with the cursing attacks around. If you want to go FG, do you want to open with Spice Merchant or rather with a Young Witch? Do you want a Soothsayer at all?
We both decided to go for Fool's Gold, he opened FG/YW where I opened FG/SM. On our second shuffle he gets his SM and I'm getting my YW. Unfortunately, my Spice Merchant doesn't help me to get double FG, where his does. I'm loosing the FG split 4-6 and he also puts the first two curses into my deck before I put a curse into his. My in-between Watchtower never shows up against his Young Witch. I'm picking up a Wharf and a Counterfeit, he gets lots of Counterfeits and lots of Gold. He's getting ahead with points so I think I have to break PPR and just gamble, but he wins.
I really would like to know how you would have played this board.

1-2

Game 4

Moat, Bridge, Conspirator, Envoy, Herald, Thief, Worker's Village, Highway, Hunting Party, Possession
Provinces / Estates

adrien starts, adrien wins

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140711/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1405105333431.txt

This board, I'd really love to play it again without Possesion.
So, we both open Silver/Bridge. I'm going hard for Hunting Parties while he puts in a Gold and a Potion quite early. He gets his Possession earlier than I do but it's not that bad until here. I win the Hunting Party Split 7-3 and we bot manage to get 3 Possessions and some Villages, but he can get an early Province for a points lead. I'd really need a Province myself but I can't.

1-3

Game 5

Poor House, Oracle, Steward, Storeroom, Alchemist, Mining Village, Sea Hag, Tournament, Vault, Border Village
Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140711/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1405106776415.txt

I want to build an engine here with Tournament. Stewards to get a thin deck, play the Tournament more often and Alchemists for draw. He decides to build something with Vault and Poor House. I really would have liked to build more here, but I felt I was behind quite fast and couldn't afford to fall behind to far. His Tournaments helped him to Princess and later Followers while I went for Trusty Steed and Bag of Gold. I think I should have gotten Sea Hag and a Storeroom at some point. We both stall quite hard in the endgame, again I think I have to go for the PP (not sure about this anymore) and again I loose.

1-4

Game 6

Pearl Diver, Masquerade, Menagerie, Philosopher's Stone, Feodum, Pirate Ship, Scout, Wandering Minstrel, Trading Post, Goons
Provinces / Shelters

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140711/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1405108136309.txt

adrien starts, assemble me wins

He opens Masquerade / Minstrel while I go for Masquerade / Silver. I don't like opening WM because it just happens soo often that your early Silver gets discarted but you really want to hit 6 here. Also, with Necro around and Goons being the only relevant terminal, although the Sifting is quite good, you don't need that many Minstrels. He also gets a very early Pirate Ship (2nd or 3rd Shuffle) which I think is awful here as trashing my Coppers helps me more and I can buy some Coppers back with Goons later. I'm the first to get to Goons and get a bunch of Minstrels and Menageries, later some Pearl Divers. I'm picking up Goons No 2 and 3. His Pirate Ship doesn't hit a lot, because I don't buy a lot of Money. Otherwise, he's doing mostly the same, but he can never make up for my early lead. He gets for some late extra Goons which seems reasonable to catch up, but I can pile out soon enough with a convenient lead.

2-4

Overall, a lot of interesting boards, probably the highest density of interesting boards during my league matches so far. Thanks to adrien for the games and good luck for your upcoming ones. I'm really unhappy with my performance here and hope to do better during my next games.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:45:49 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Adrien

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 09:10:57 am »

thx for the game too
i m very bad about talking about our game.. if some great player want to ..
see u ;)
a.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 10:39:21 am »
+2

Game 1

Cellar, Hermit, Menagerie, Watchtower, Remake, Talisman, Band of Misfits, Wharf, Border Village, Grand Market
Provinces / Shelters

While ending my turn, I saw that it might have been a mistake because there were only two Border Villages and two Menageries left. With Remake it was very easy for him to end it on a win. So, I really screwed up my endgame, I think my deck was better.

You didn't say this explicitly in your report, and you probably already know this, but you could have won the game on turn 12 by remaking your own Wharves (you had two and a Remake in hand at one point). If one pile is gone and two are low, you absolutely have to be thinking about three pile endings. On a board with this many gainers and buys, you should be thinking about it very soon.

It doesn't really matter whose "deck was better" and I read these reports a lot where people say this after they lose, I'm not sure what it is supposed to mean. Don't think about deck quality, think about winning the game.

Game 4

Moat, Bridge, Conspirator, Envoy, Herald, Thief, Worker's Village, Highway, Hunting Party, Possession
Provinces / Estates

adrien starts, adrien wins

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140711/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1405105333431.txt

This board, I'd really love to play it again without Possesion.
So, we both open Silver/Bridge. I'm going hard for Hunting Parties while he puts in a Gold and a Potion quite early. He gets his Possession earlier than I do but it's not that bad until here. I win the Hunting Party Split 7-3 and we bot manage to get 3 Possessions and some Villages, but he can get an early Province for a points lead. I'd really need a Province myself but I can't.

You don't need so many Silvers here, 1-2 max. It's okay to buy nothing with $3, but a couple turns you had $4 and you should be getting WV/Herald or Conspirator if you want money. You had some really crappy luck on your HP draws here, you had several turns where you churned through your whole deck and picked up all 3 Estates instead of more Coppers, and ended with only $6 or something. This hurt early on, where you couldn't even get enough money to buy two $4 cards with Bridge. I think you waited a little too long to pick up a Potion, it's okay to take one over a HP once you have several HP. Your general approach after the Possessing starts is wrong I think. His deck is getting worse and worse by adding green, so Possessing him is starting to look undesirable. There was at least one turn where I think you should have played a Bridge instead of Possession. Also, he doesn't have a very good draw engine (and more junk all the time), so he won't be Possessing you that much. Which means you don't need to overreact to his greening and follow suit. Build a little, increase your consistency (Heralds especially), put in a Conspirator so you can afford Provinces, and try to beat him on Provinces. He'll probably buy a Province (or two) with your deck, but that's ok, you should still be taking more turns with your deck than he is. And if you add enough engine pieces first (Herald!), you should be able to Possess him more reliably.

Game 5

Poor House, Oracle, Steward, Storeroom, Alchemist, Mining Village, Sea Hag, Tournament, Vault, Border Village
Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140711/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1405106776415.txt

I want to build an engine here with Tournament. Stewards to get a thin deck, play the Tournament more often and Alchemists for draw. He decides to build something with Vault and Poor House. I really would have liked to build more here, but I felt I was behind quite fast and couldn't afford to fall behind to far.

I'm not in love with the Alchemists, but if you go for them, you need to really go for them. Putting in a Potion to buy just 3 is not worth it. I think you'd be better off going for a second Tournament over Potion. There's other draw available on this board, and you can set it up easily because of Border Village.
Turn 8 - Play the Alchemist! The reshuffle can't actually hurt you at all, and you have a chance of drawing your other Alchemist, a Tournament, or an Estate, all of which could help improve that turn.

After you buy your first Province, stop buying them for a little bit. Get Trusty Steed and Followers, add a Storeroom, maybe some more Alchemists, just build a little while you attack him every turn. Bag of Gold is easily the worst Prize here, as it usually is. You might eventually get some use out of it, but it comes way too soon here. Followers >> Bag of Gold, and it was especially true here. He is using Vault to get money so discard really hurts, he didn't have enough Poor Houses to worry about them.

As long as you have a better engine with a strong attack, a pile of Duchies and a way to gain several quickly (Tournament), and no looming 3 pile, you shouldn't scramble for points just because your opponent has bought a couple Provinces.

Adrien

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 09:31:26 am »

thx for those explanations Mic
It s like we were in an other dimension ;) we played like newbies

I ll be reading with attention

see u
a

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 07:18:08 pm »
+1

adrien vs luser

How luck evens out

game 1

Great Hall, Steward, Death Cart, Nomad Camp, Quarry, Apprentice, Margrave, Mine, Mountebank, Rebuild
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140715/log.516d6935e4b082c74d7be8a5.1405435189810.txt

A colony rebuild game, her I could say that I won by opponents mistakes. Main difference was that I got mountebank before rebuild which slow him down. Second one was naming which left him with estates and he did not name estates which left him with few estate-estate turns.

Game 2

Poor House, Embargo, Ambassador, Fishing Village, Wishing Well, Herald, Library, Royal Seal, Tribute, Nobles
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140715/log.516d6935e4b082c74d7be8a5.1405436181443.txt

Decided on opening split, well almost, it is ambassador board but I got 5-2 opening. As I see a herald/ambassador I decide to do try luck with royal-seal embargo to embargo heralds and build an fishing village engine. My problem was mainly mindset that I am behind and need to take risk instead of reality which causes me draw ambassador dead and lose ambassador war.

I do not believe to heralds here, If I got a 3-4 split I am fairly sure that with ambassador/fishing village/ambassador and going library/nobles engine will beat heralds as it would start drawing deck sooner but I would need tempo for that.

Also when I read a log a ambassador/embargo and fishing village/ ambassador on second shuffle should also work.

game 3

Develop, Fishing Village, Workshop, Ironworks, Golem, Band of Misfits, Bandit Camp, Upgrade, Vault, Forge
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140715/log.516d6935e4b082c74d7be8a5.1405436691694.txt

Won in first turn. Here I got a 5-2 split which allowed a vault which is quite fast, also buying upgrade and forges and upgrading forges or forging provinces into provinces speed end. Opponent tried to create some develop engine but it did not took of.

Game 4

Beggar, Masterpiece, Sage, Shanty Town, Advisor, Butcher, Cultist, Haggler, Harvest, Knights
Where by luck is defeated by his luck. Here I get dame anna and he gets sir michael. With that advantage I manage to give him all ruins but he loads beggars and with sir michael early trash one of my golds and at end duchy that allowed him buy last province.

I did several mistakes, main was greening early and not overpaying masterpiece for money and knight fodder.

game 5

Moat, Great Hall, Urchin, Armory, Contraband, Embassy, Library, Mint, Rabble, Expand
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140715/log.516d6935e4b082c74d7be8a5.1405437833226.txt

Again colonies and I by choosing embassy instead rabble and trashing few treasures with mint. I win despite worse luck, he has more treasures than I has which started from his 5-2 opening split.

game 6

Fortune Teller, Masquerade, Menagerie, Oasis, Mining Village, Throne Room, Wandering Minstrel, Cache, Council Room, Forge
Here I underestimated that fortune teller without green is worse that with green. We had similar decks his fortune teller was problem as we used wandering minstrels and it caused missed reshufles of my cards.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:54:30 am »
+1

michaeljb vs GeoLib

game 1 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140715/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1405477912686.txt

Beggar, Moat, Lookout, Remake, Embassy, Horn of Plenty, Ill-Gotten Gains, Laboratory, Soothsayer, Expand
Remake + Treasures, into IGG. Also some Expand fun. I get more Duchies but GeoLib gets more Provinces for the close win, 31-28.

game 2 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140715/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1405479117578.txt

Trade Route, Caravan, Marauder, Noble Brigand, Smithy, Butcher, City, Duke, Rabble, Vault
Butchers and Cities are the main thing here, with Caravan and Rabble for more draw and Trade Route for a little bit more trashing. I opened Marauder, GeoLib took Smithy, and the Ruins slowed him down enough to give me the edge. I also won the City split 6-4, and took the game 27-20.

game 3 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140715/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1405481012616.txt

Haven, Pearl Diver, Scrying Pool, Great Hall, Menagerie, Swindler, Armory, Throne Room, Ghost Ship, Bank
Scrying Pool + Swindler slogfest. I opened Potion, GeoLib took Armory, and that seemed to be working out better for him early on as it let him get the Pools up sooner. He Swindled my early Menageries and Swindler into Great Hall, then realized Silver might have been a better choice given the SPs. Eventually my deck turned around with a couple of sudden big turns and I won the game. At the end my deck did have substantially more treasure than Geo's, maybe that was the real key. 23-9.

game 4 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140715/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1405481861379.txt

Poor House, Crossroads, Masquerade, Island, Marauder, Cache, Cultist, Haggler, Laboratory, Stash
Cultist/Crossroads/Masquerade fun. I won the Ruins split 6/4, and took a Gold with my first non-Cultist 6 while Geo took a Haggler that was never played. I win again, 22-15.

game 5 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140715/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1405482987112.txt

Tunnel, Familiar, Advisor, Feast, Militia, Worker's Village, Butcher, City, Journeyman, Altar
Butcher and City again, this time with Familiar shenanigans at the beginning and Journeyman as the $5 Smithy of choice. I grabbed a couple of early Advisors, that was probably a mistake. Geo goes harder into the Altars and Butchers, giving him more endgame control. I was up with 2 Provinces left, but he just Butchered one and bought the other to take the win in another close one, 24-21.

game 6 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140715/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1405484264494.txt

Smugglers, Envoy, Fortress, Militia, Nomad Camp, Quarry, Butcher, Counting House, Stash, Fairgrounds
Butcher, yet again. This time to go with an Fortress+Envoy engine and additional support from Nomad Camp, Quarry, and Smugglers. I won the Fortress split 6-4, and got in some key Butcher plays to take the game 31-17.

Last season GeoLib beat me 4.5-1.5, so getting 4 points here feels good, especially in a tough series like this one. Thanks to GeoLib for the great games!
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 09:53:36 am »
+1

michaeljb vs GeoLib

game 1 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140715/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1405477912686.txt

Beggar, Moat, Lookout, Remake, Embassy, Horn of Plenty, Ill-Gotten Gains, Laboratory, Soothsayer, Expand
Remake + Treasures, into IGG. Also some Expand fun. I get more Duchies but GeoLib gets more Provinces for the close win, 31-28.

I think you can skip the IGG rush here with a Laboratory stack. Lookout/Remake should be able to handle the curses, and the Lab deck can make excellent use of HoP and Expand. It's a bit of a hassle to get the HoP to $8 (it's possible), but that isn't necessary, they're still good to load up on Laboratories and Expand fuel. The HoPs also let you snap up multiple Duchies at the end to make up points. The risk of this deck is that the IGG player might get too many Provinces too fast.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 08:53:21 pm »

I did consider opening Lookout/Remake, but didn't give enough thought to going after Labs instead of IGG. Definitely would have been more fun trying a really divergent strategy like that.

Lately I feel like a couple cards like IGG have really been tripping me up--I feel like I've somewhat fallen into "oh this card is here, guess we have to focus on it." Maybe I just need to take more time at the beginning to really explore my options.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 09:09:33 pm »
+1

D1, michaeljb vs Aidan Millow

game 1 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140716/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1405554204664.txt

Moat, Squire, Ambassador, Trade Route, Gardens, Herald, Wandering Minstrel, Young Witch, Counterfeit, Torturer, Upgrade
I try for Squires/Gardens instead of the Torturer engine, and get an early lead but fumble it in the end. At one point I even bought a Curse or two to edge the pile closer, but ended up being unable to pile out for the win. Aidan takes the close win, 42-40.

game 2 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140716/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1405555054634.txt

Chancellor, Fortune Teller, Hermit, Coppersmith, Horse Traders, JackOfAllTrades, Tournament, City, Graverobber, Grand Market
An early Coppersmith helps Aidan get the first Province, and not long after that I abandon all thoughts of Prizes, instead trying to grab some Colonies. I buy the only Platinum, and my Jack and Hermits do a decent job of keeping the Curses at bay. Aidan takes the City split, 6-4, but my Colonies and treasure are enough to give me the close win in this one, 43-39.

game 3 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140716/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1405555627665.txt

Black Market, Alchemist, Advisor, Marauder, Nomad Camp, Remodel, Worker's Village, Margrave, Mine, Stables

Black market deck cards: Governor, City, Jester, Farmland, Venture, Market Square, Conspirator, Secret Chamber, Fool's Gold, Courtyard, Golem, Bank, Bazaar, Goons, Outpost, Highway, JackOfAllTrades, Fortress, Doctor, Mountebank, Ironmonger, Thief, Ambassador, Oracle, Crossroads

I get some key Black Market pulls with Mountebank, Outpost, and a $9 Doctor. Aidan nabs the Ambassador and the Jack but it's not enough to fend off the Mountebank and Marauder. As my engine really starts to rev up, Aidan resigns so we can get on to the next one.

game 4 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140716/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1405556108492.txt

Poor House, Courtyard, Native Village, Caravan, Envoy, Feast, Herald, Horse Traders, City, Hunting Party
Hunting Party + Horse Traders is the main thing here. I also got a couple more $4 hands, so I picked up some Caravans. At the end I was able to buy Province+City, then Province+Envoy, setting a double Province turn. I had a big advantage here opening 4/3 to Aidan's 5/2. Ultimately my final deck was exactly like his plus another Silver, 2 Caravans, an Envoy, and 2 more Provinces for a 36-24 win.

game 5 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140716/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1405556746027.txt

Candlestick Maker, Lighthouse, Steward, Storeroom, Caravan, Marauder, Wandering Minstrel, Graverobber, Junk Dealer, Altar
We both focused on Graverobbing our way to Provinces, with Altar to help gain more Graverobbers and Candlestick Maker to save up some coin. On my last turn I held on to 4 Coin tokens instead of spending all of them for a Duchy, believing that Aidan wouldn't be able to double-Province, and hoping to maximize my chances of double Provincing the next turn. Aidan pulls it off though, taking the game 27-24.

game 6 - http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140716/log.50a6c1abe4b03214bb7822e9.1405557553547.txt

Vineyard, Candlestick Maker, Hamlet, Conspirator, Herald, Butcher, Venture, Goons, Hunting Grounds, Nobles
Herald+Conspirator+Goons+Nobles+Candlestick Maker fun. I'm content with one Conspirator at the start, while Aidan picks up a few more along the way, and we split the Heralds, but I took all 8 Nobles. I was able to get the Goons rolling much sooner, and in the end did the usual run-up-the-Goons-score play, winning 74-20.

Thanks to Aidan for the fun series!

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 05:34:46 pm »
+1

D5, assemble me vs. luser

My second match, I don't have any expectation but would enjoy to play draw again :). I guess it would be a good result here, but let's see how it's going.
As always I'd love to read your thoughts about the games, thanks

Game 1

Fool's Gold, Squire, Advisor, Herald, Marauder, Pirate Ship, Throne Room, Cartographer, Embassy, Adventurer
Provinces / Shelters

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140716/log.517000c9e4b082c74d7e6868.1405534255942.txt

luser starts, assemble me wins

On this board, there's Fool's Gold. I'm not sure if Squire is a real good enabler. I guess it's OK, it might be cool if two of your early Fool's Golds and your Squire collide for triple FG, but is that going to happen? There's also a lot of non-terminal draw (Herald, Advisor, Cartographer) and Embassy as terminal draw. I decide to go Marauder into Embassy-BM and ignore Fool's Gold and the other stuff. Early on, I think he goes for something similar, but he tries to build an engine with Squires, Throne Rooms, Embassies and Marauder. I'm not sure about that, I'm thinking Embassy isn't an engine's biggest friend ever. As expected, I'm going for green earlier than him, but buying the third Province on turn 10 is probably better than usual. That's way too fast for him and I also get the best Ruined Library ever from his Marauder: It helps me to reach 8$ twice for Provinces No. 4 and 5.

1-0

Game 2

Black Market, Hermit, Masquerade, Mining Village, Worker's Village, Horn of Plenty, Pillage, Stables, Border Village, Fairgrounds

BM deck: Procession, Apprentice, Royal Seal, Gardens, Bazaar, Saboteur, Highway, Goons, Counterfeit, Native Village, Develop, Steward, Ironworks, Laboratory, Vineyard, Wharf, Menagerie, Duchess, Haven, Monument, Hunting Grounds, Moneylender, Hamlet, Thief, Chapel

Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140716/log.517000c9e4b082c74d7e6868.1405535364678.txt

luser starts, luser wins

This time it's clearly an engine board. Fairgrounds is very appealing with a strong Black Market deck. So we're both going for the engine. I can't really tell why, but his deck is coming together much better. I had a bad turn 11 with only money in hand and that probably nailed it for him. I'm not sure if he could end it faster but loosing the Horn split big time made it probably impossible to catch up.

1-1

Game 3

Embargo, Vagrant, Fortune Teller, Fortress, Herald, Ironmonger, Ghost Ship, Minion, Mountebank, Adventurer
Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140716/log.517000c9e4b082c74d7e6868.1405535924181.txt

luser starts, assemble me wins

After my first turn, luser says "Ouch" here, because I'm having 5/2 for Mountebank/Embargo where he goes for Fortune Teller/Silver. So it's a sloggy Mountebank war game. We both pick up two Mountebanks. He hits 4$ a LOT and buys many Ironmongers. I know it's one of the best 4$s but I'm not sure how good it is here. Of course, you can discard the extra Coppers, but you'll cry whenever you reveal a curse. I'm deciding to get Minions on my subsequent 5$s for the cycling to play my Mountebanks more often (or the money). With 9 Ironmongers and Curses gone and an extra Province for me (and an exra Curse for him), I start rushing Duchies. After a lot of blocked Mountebank attacks I can finally get the 6th curse into his deck and reach a comforting win. It's almost funny that I never had an opportunity to trash my Embargo.

So, he went first three times and I'm in a 2-1 lead, that's a good match position.

2-1

Game 4

Masquerade, Village, Bishop, Marauder, Wandering Minstrel, Band of Misfits, Catacombs, Stables, Altar, Farmland
Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140716/log.517000c9e4b082c74d7e6868.1405537365277.txt

assemble me starts, luser wins assemble me wins

Band of Misfits is great with all those powerful 3$ and 4$ cost cards. I decide to build some kind of engine that can buy one Province per turn. He's buying more components and less money. I'm taking a points lead, but after 4 Provinces my deck stalls and I'm worried that he might catch up with BoM as Bishop. Finally, he trashes something and buys the last Province. I think he would have won the game but later, I realize that he had trashed a Duchy and I have won by one point.

3-1

Game 5

Great Hall, Bridge, Island, Monument, Talisman, Band of Misfits, Ill-Gotten Gains, Rogue, Trading Post, Adventurer
Provinces / Shelters

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140716/log.517000c9e4b082c74d7e6868.1405537735170.txt

assemble me starts, luser wins

I had just been thinking that I had no standard IGG rush or Rebuild game for a while and: There we go. We both decide that double Monument into IGG is the way to go. But before the first IGG, we both decide to pick up a Trading Post on 5$. He's able to get to Province, I'm not. At the end, I'm taking the penultimate Duchy for a three point lead. On his turn, he has a Trading Post to trash a curse and 5$ for the last Duchy.

3-2

Game 6

Hamlet, Doctor, Procession, Throne Room, Bandit Camp, Butcher, Ghost Ship, Horn of Plenty, Knights, Soothsayer
Provinces / Shelters

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140716/log.517000c9e4b082c74d7e6868.1405538291623.txt

assemble me starts, assemble me wins

luser says he'd like 5/2 here so I reveal my 5 coppers and say something like yes, but I'm not sure what to go for. Soothsayer looks good, Doctor with Overpay is great and the top Knight is Dame Anna. I'm not a big Knights fan in general and rather want that Soothsayer later. I really want to open Doctor so I just go for it. Soothsayer Golds + Butcher looks pretty good to me. He gets Dame Anna early and I'm a bit worried about that, but I stick to my plan. I guess his Knight hits are only mediocre and that early Doctor really accelerated my deck here and feel I'm ahead. I happily pick up a Province early for it being Knight prove. The Throne Room is probably a bit wacky but it helps me to play double Soothsayer, so I guess that worked out as well. I actually don't trash Golds for Provinces, but he can't make up my early (points) lead.

4-2

So, finally I could win a league match :). Good luck to luser for his upcoming games and sorry for that match result thing...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:36:47 pm by assemble_me »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 06:51:02 pm »
+1

Game 2
Black Market, Hermit, Masquerade, Mining Village, Worker's Village, Horn of Plenty, Pillage, Stables, Border Village, Fairgrounds

BM deck: Procession, Apprentice, Royal Seal, Gardens, Bazaar, Saboteur, Highway, Goons, Counterfeit, Native Village, Develop, Steward, Ironworks, Laboratory, Vineyard, Wharf, Menagerie, Duchess, Haven, Monument, Hunting Grounds, Moneylender, Hamlet, Thief, Chapel

Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140716/log.517000c9e4b082c74d7e6868.1405535364678.txt

luser starts, luser wins

This time it's clearly an engine board. Fairgrounds is very appealing with a strong Black Market deck. So we're both going for the engine. I can't really tell why, but his deck is coming together much better. I had a bad turn 11 with only money in hand and that probably nailed it for him. I'm not sure if he could end it faster but loosing the Horn split big time made it probably impossible to catch up.

On Turn 14 you had an automatic win. Gain BV/Duchy for 3 pile, gain Province with HoP and buy one Province.

I would say you undervalued draw here, it looks like you both should have gotten more Stables before so many HoPs. You also hit $4 quite a lot unfortunately. I don't like the Silver buy on Turn 10, just get Border Village.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 03:42:57 pm »
+1

shraeye vs KingZog 2-4

Game 1: Video+commentary and the Log
Pearl Diver, Vagrant, Forager, Herald, Explorer, Governor, Hunting Party, Merchant Ship, Altar, ExpandGovernor, Hunting Party, Herald, Explorer all compete for my attention.  Turns out that Governor was the best to do.
0-1

Game 2: Video+commentary and the Log
Courtyard, Crossroads, Lighthouse, Moat, Develop, Hermit, Lookout, Embassy, Stables, HaremI open Lookout/nothing because of a misclick, things go downhill from there.
0-2

Game 3: Video+commentary and the Log
Transmute, Chapel, Native Village, Lookout, Watchtower, Conspirator, Envoy, Plaza, Tournament, EmbassyTournament game, other cards are pretty blah...the game hinges on who gets Princess, the only +Buy
0-3

Game 4: Video+commentary and the Log
Chapel, Hamlet, Herbalist, Lighthouse, Feodum, Apprentice, Graverobber, Outpost, Rebuild, Altar
KingZog surprises me with a Feodum/Graverobber combo in what I thought would be a straight Rebuild board.
0-4

Game 5: Video+commentary and the Log
Haven, Fishing Village, Baron, Spy, Wandering Minstrel, Catacombs, Harvest, Junk Dealer, Torturer, King's Court
A true engine board; King's court happens, Junk Dealer/Harvest for payload, Baron for +Buy.
1-4

Game 6: Video+commentary and the Log
Develop, Philosopher's Stone, Armory, Rats, Cartographer, Catacombs, Outpost, Rogue, Vault, Witch
Witch slog; Philosopher's Stone helps the late-game.
2-4

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 06:47:09 pm »

shraeye vs KingZog 2-4

Pearl Diver, Vagrant, Forager, Herald, Explorer, Governor, Hunting Party, Merchant Ship, Altar, ExpandGovernor, Hunting Party, Herald, Explorer all compete for my attention.  Turns out that Governor was the best to do.
0-1

Courtyard, Crossroads, Lighthouse, Moat, Develop, Hermit, Lookout, Embassy, Stables, HaremI open Lookout/nothing because of a misclick, things go downhill from there.
0-2

Transmute, Chapel, Native Village, Lookout, Watchtower, Conspirator, Envoy, Plaza, Tournament, EmbassyTournament game, other cards are pretty blah...the game hinges on who gets Princess, the only +Buy
0-3

Chapel, Hamlet, Herbalist, Lighthouse, Feodum, Apprentice, Graverobber, Outpost, Rebuild, Altar
KingZog surprises me with a Feodum/Graverobber combo in what I thought would be a straight Rebuild board.
0-4

Haven, Fishing Village, Baron, Spy, Wandering Minstrel, Catacombs, Harvest, Junk Dealer, Torturer, King's Court
A true engine board; King's court happens, Junk Dealer/Harvest for payload, Baron for +Buy.
1-4

Develop, Philosopher's Stone, Armory, Rats, Cartographer, Catacombs, Outpost, Rogue, Vault, Witch
Witch slog; Philosopher's Stone helps the late-game.
2-4

Since we played in 2 parts, I dont remember the first 3 games too well. Game 3 Shraeye took Followers first which I think is the reason I won. Game 4 I used Rebuild+Feodum to gain economy that is often lacking in Rebuild games, and Graverobber solidifies by making them actually worth points when I gain them back. Game 5 I stalled and also my Baron couldn't find an Estate till like turn 9 or something. Game 6 was just a slog, I don't know if PStone was worth it, but I just bought it for fun to see if I could make it worth it.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 12:45:48 pm »

shraeye vs mpsprs 3-3

Poor House, Oracle, Steward, Workshop, Horse Traders, Pirate Ship, Thief, Young Witch, Golem, Hoard, Hunting GroundsA slog with a lot of terminal actions.  I sort of fall into the situation where I want to do too much; that and I consistently undervalue Horse Traders.  As a stream-viewer (KingZog) pointed out, Golem probably should have been more seriously considered here.  Thoughts?
0-1

Loan, Oasis, Oracle, Talisman, City, Duke, Merchant Guild, Mine, Pillage, Rabble
Cities split 6-4, which is super helpful.  Went full-engine with some of almost every card (Oracle, City, Merchant Guild, Mine, Rabble, Oasis). 
1-1

Transmute, Moat, Pawn, Scheme, Philosopher's Stone, Farming Village, Spy, Counting House, Soothsayer, Goons
Counting house saves me from a slow start!!  Extra coppers from Goons' +Buy helps power Philosopher's Stone and Counting House.
2-1

Squire, Market Square, Scheme, Trade Route, Watchtower, Gardens, Navigator, Young Witch, Council Room, Library, Altar
watchtower/YW, with Gardens finish...  Market Square + Watchtower means there are always lots of little decisions about what order to buy things in.  Library is fun.
3-1

Pawn, Market Square, Philosopher's Stone, Advisor, Feodum, Island, Plaza, Explorer, Trading Post, Expand
painfully close...twice I was a single coin token shy of winning.  Silver-heavy game with Trading Post, Explorer, Feodum.  Feodums could get big here.
3-2

Fortune Teller, Workshop, Feodum, Quarry, Remodel, Count, Embassy, Market, Rebuild, Hunting Grounds
Rebuild game in which I can't hit 5 until turn 9...that's never going to go well
3-3

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 03:35:19 pm »

For shraeye

Game 1 - The Pirate Ships are terrible. Second Steward looks bad, and I'm not sure about the Workshop, I guess it's ok. Turn 13 you should take +2 coins and buy a Gold or a Hoard, trashing YW/Copper is very bad. Horse Traders definitely looks good on this board. As does Hoard, which is ignored by both players.

Game 6 - Expect to not hit $5 much if you open Workshop and add Feoda on turns 4 and 5.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 11:10:25 pm »

Game 6 - Expect to not hit $5 much if you open Workshop and add Feoda on turns 4 and 5.
Yeah, i think i mentioned this during the stream.  I certainly didn't do grand on that last one.  Thanks for the comments!

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 06:02:42 am »
+2

D5, assemble me vs. dunduks

Today it's time for my third league game right after my vacation break. I'm playing against dunduks who got a real head start and will hardly lose his first place in our group. That makes me the underdog in this game but anything is possible in this league, I think :)

As always, please leave comments as tiny as you may think they'd be. I'll appreciate it very much. Thanks.

Game 1: Flip that Hag

Duchess, Wishing Well, Workshop, Caravan, Feodum, Pirate Ship, Sea Hag, Band of Misfits, Explorer, Adventurer
Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140729/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1406656571905.txt

Dunduks starts

No trashing and Sea Hag, that probably means Sea Hag slog. He opens Sea Hag / Workshop on 4/3. I mirror his opening. My plan is to use the Workshop to get a reasonable amount of Silvers to make Feodum worth picking up. He uses it to gets Caravans and I decide to add some too, but I don't want THAT many. He manages to flip my Sea Hag twice before I can even play it, and I already feel like I can't win this any more, but the turns he played his Hag he couldn't buy anything and I already have a nice amount of Silvers. So, I can spike $8 in turn 8 and take that lucky Province. I'm losing the Curse split 3-7 but I can even get a second Province and manage to count my Silvers. With 8-0 points lead, Caravans and Curses gone and 8 Silvers in my deck I draw Workshop + 4$. I decide it's time to rush Feoda and I pick up two. Even with that much crap in my deck I can get to 4$ often enough and on an off 3$ I get the missing Silver to get 3 point Feoda. He can pick up three Provinces until the game ends, but that's not good enough.

1-0

Game 2: Plenty of Fuel for that Horn

Hermit, Menagerie, Storeroom, Warehouse, Conspirator, Mining Village, Baker, Horn of Plenty, Mandarin, Forge
Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140729/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1406657579544.txt

assemble me starts

Here we have a huge Horn of Plenty engine board where almost every card looks playable, maybe except for Mandarin (but you could build that Mandarin / Horn "golden" deck combo, but no one went for it and it's maybe to wacky to set up, although I've never played it or even seen it played in a video). There's Menagerie for draw and Warehouse to help it activate, Baker and Conspirator for extra $$, Storeroom for $$ and +Buy, Mining Village for extra Actions and Hermit to trash starting Estates and to get more of those juicy 3$ cards. With Baker, we both open 3/5. I'm going for Hermit/Baker where he goes for Warehouse/Horn. Usually, I'm a big fan opening Warehouse, but here I think Hermit is just better. Also, I'm not a big fan opening Horn; with the Warehouse it can work out but I think it's quite risky. We're both building our engines and our decks are quite similar, but he can win the Menagerie Split 6-4 where I have an extra Conspirator and an extra Warehouse. Also, although I see many cards of my deck, I manage to draw two of my Estates after I see my Hermit and can't trash them. I buy an in-between Province as piles are running. He decides to use his Horns to pick up Duchies but as I'm getting my mega turn I can pile out Estates for the win.

2-0

Game 3: Tortured Platinum

Death Cart, Plaza, Silk Road, Talisman, Throne Room, Cartographer, Harvest, Mint, Torturer, Border Village
Colonies / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140729/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1406659032870.txt

Dunduks starts

This board clearly looks like a Torturer engine to both of us and we both open Plaza/Silver on 4/3. I have five Coppers on turn 3 and I'm really inclined to buy Mint. I guess I'd take it next time here, but I just go for the Torturer. I'm getting a second Silver which he doesn't. He can pick up some extra Border Villages and gets two Throne Rooms. After my fourth Torturer I decide to pick up a Cartographer first and I buy a Platinum as soon as I can. My Platinum helps me to get to Colonies and he has to use his coin tokens to keep up. As the Curses are gone there are only two Border Villages left for the three pile ending. I had already thought about getting Border Village Duchy over my second Colony. But he's quite close and my engine isn't fireing consistently. After a dud hand on my side he goes for BV+Duchy but I can answer with a Colony to retake the lead. Now he has a dud hand and with seven coin tokens my win is guaranteed. I really like my Platinum buy here.

3-0

Game 4: The Torturer strikes back

Beggar, Smugglers, Swindler, Feast, Fortress, Procession, Quarry, Bazaar, Contraband, Torturer
Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140729/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1406659873853.txt

assemble me starts

And the next Torturer engine right away. There's also Procession / Fortress for extra fun. I open Smugglers / Silver because I expect to gain lots of nice cards from it and he opens Quarry / Swindler. I guess Quarry is OK if you're really desperate to get 5$ actions. Not sure about Swindler with Fortress around, it's probably still good. Smugglers were OK but maybe I should have taken a Swindler instead. Probably my biggest problem here was to accept WAY to many curses. I guess I've really played this one badly.

3-1

Game 5: Trash-o-mania

Herbalist, Great Hall, Market Square, Herald, Nomad Camp, Remake, Talisman, Butcher, Farmland, Harem
Provinces / Estates

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140729/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1406660671682.txt

Dunduks starts

This board revolves around the interaction between Market Square, Remake and Butcher. He opens Remake / Market Square and I really don't like my 2/5 here. I'm opening Butcher because I want it anyway and after the second shuffle our decks are mostly similar. I'm picking up a second Butcher where he manages to trash more Coppers and picks up more Heralds for draw. With Gold, Butcher and two Market Squares I start going for Provinces. His extra building pays of: Right before the end he can double Province and take a lead that is big enough that I can't catch up. So, building more was probably the right call here, I guess I sometimes forget how good Herald can be in such a trimmed deck.

3-2

Game 6: I count on my Tunnel

Transmute, Sage, Tunnel, Watchtower, Island, Count, Embassy, Venture, Harem, King's Court
Provinces / Shelters

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140729/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1406661240340.txt

assemble me starts

This is clearly a board where Tunnel can shine. It works with Count, Embassy and maybe Venture. I don't like King's Court here. The best you can do is to basically guarantee a Province if you KC your Embassy or you can pick up all the Duchies if you use Count. But is that going to happen? I think a simple Embassy plan should be faster with Tunnel support. I'm having 2/5 here and go for Count. It can activate Tunnel and a little trashing seems useful for the money deck, too. And of course, I don't want to make the early Silver gift to him. He buys a Count but gets a lot of Islands before his first Tunnel. With my Embassy I start my Province buying, Gold gaining machinery. He picks up King's Court, which, as I said, I don't really like here. With 4 Provinces gone and a 6 points lead for me he gets his Embassy, I answer buying my second Embassy over Duchy to increase reliability. I'm still a bit worried that he might pull of something crazy with his King's Court but the best he can get is buying Province / gaining Duchy once. My Embassies and Golds carry me to the win.

4-2

Wow, what a game. I really didn't expect to lead 3-0 after three games and I'm also happy to not totally screw things up afterwards. Besides that, Goko did a really nice job for us with perfectly alternating start players and we also didn't have to restart our final game.
Good luck to Dunduks for his upcoming matches, I think he still has very good chances to advance to C.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:12:39 am by assemble_me »

Dunduks

• Bishop
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 06:47:21 am »
+1

assemble me, tnx for report.

I just want to say that at turn 18  when "You had already thought about getting Border Village Duchy over your second Colony." BV buy was win because there are too many points between us and you'll byu last BV next turn.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 04:40:58 am »

assemble me, tnx for report.

I just want to say that at turn 18  when "You had already thought about getting Border Village Duchy over your second Colony." BV buy was win because there are too many points between us and you'll byu last BV next turn.
I think you're right. I guess I didn't look at my coin tokens during that turn. I counted them now and I should have had 6 and that would have been enough to ensure the win.

Breezy D

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 09:32:41 am »
+1

Due to a general lack of time, I haven't been writing up my games during the league. But Temron asked me about feedback on the games, so I thought I'd make the effort. Also for a few of these games I felt I was in a great position but lost in the endgame and I'd love to learn from my mistakes!

Black Market, Chancellor, Alchemist, Marauder, Militia, Navigator, Plaza, Embassy, Festival, Hunting Grounds
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140731/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1406852409229.txt

Temron chose militia as an initial attack and I chose marauder. Temron used hunting ground for draw and I went for alchemists. I think these two choices left Temron with more junk cards in deck and a need for villages to increase his hand. With black market, we each got trashers however Temron wound up with trading post and I had lookout. This left me with a thinner deck that could just about draw itself and set me up well to pile out for the win.

Transmute, Courtyard, Shanty Town, Alchemist, Cartographer, Merchant Ship, Pillage, Trading Post, Altar, Grand Market
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140731/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1406853195177.txt

Temron began on 5/2 with a trading post. This thinned out his deck and set him up well to pick up many grand markets and win the alchemist split.

On 3/4 I opened silver/potion. An initial shanty town might have been better than silver and would have provided more draw or let me play my altar and trader together. Or maybe I should have went gold over altar and bought a trading post over cartographer the following turn.

Anyways, I was chasing after Temron the whole game and wasn't surprised that he won this one.

Beggar, Menagerie, Ironmonger, Pirate Ship, Baker, Contraband, Graverobber, Merchant Guild, Torturer, Altar
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140731/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1406854100527.txt

With Baker on the board we both open silver torturer. I chose a baker on my next 5, Temron went for a second Torturer. I liked baker because I thought coin tokens might make it easier to pick up Ironmongers with smaller hands. I'm not sure that was right or not but I did pick up 7 Ironmongers which consistently game me extra actions for Torturer chains.

However Temron also hit 3 estate/2copper hands on both T4 and T6, which greatly slowed him down. His T6 hand was a direct consequence of drawing 3 coppers with Torturer. In this case, playing a baker instead would have left him with a better subsequent hand and more early Ironmongers.

This slow start probably gave me the edge to take the lead.

One other note: With 6 coins on T5, Temron bought an altar. I'm not sure that was  great move as it added a third terminal to the mix. I think I would have went for Ironmonger.

Great Hall, Swindler, Fortress, Moneylender, Apprentice, Ghost Ship, Highway, Mystic, Saboteur, Grand Market

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140731/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1406854696098.txt

Apprentice and fortress made this a great board for draw. Moneylender helped thin out our decks and build to grandmarkets. Swindler added some surprises.

On T15 I could have gone double colony but I was afraid of a dud hand on T16 so kept building. There are a number of ways I could have played the endgame differently.

What sealed my fate though was swindler hitting a colony leaving only 2 colonies for Temron to buy for the win. Had swindler hit anything else I would have been fine. This swindler action is fitting though since Temron's swindler hit 3 of my estates early on.

Moat, Squire, Market Square, Oracle, Smugglers, Workshop, Cutpurse, JackOfAllTrades, Harvest, Witch
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140731/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1406855124906.txt

A game with a combo of squire, joat, and witch (market square tossed in for fun)

I thought I had the lead with witches and squire but wound up with more curses.

The game was close for a bit then it wasn't.

I wonder whether double jack with markets for golds would have been quicker.

Candlestick Maker, Lighthouse, Steward, Bishop, Remake, Trader, Mine, Mint, Hoard, Bank
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140731/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1406855966764.txt

We both went remake into mostly big money.

A few times on hands with 2 coins I chose to buy nothing over candlestick maker or lighthouse hoping to speed up my cycling. That might have been a bad idea.

This is one game I wonder what others might do.

This was a good set of games with Temron. They were a nice challenge to play and I think Temron and I were well matched.

luser

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 10:42:55 pm »

Due to a general lack of time, I haven't been writing up my games during the league. But Temron asked me about feedback on the games, so I thought I'd make the effort. Also for a few of these games I felt I was in a great position but lost in the endgame and I'd love to learn from my mistakes!

Black Market, Chancellor, Alchemist, Marauder, Militia, Navigator, Plaza, Embassy, Festival, Hunting Grounds
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140731/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1406852409229.txt

Temron chose militia as an initial attack and I chose marauder. Temron used hunting ground for draw and I went for alchemists. I think these two choices left Temron with more junk cards in deck and a need for villages to increase his hand. With black market, we each got trashers however Temron wound up with trading post and I had lookout. This left me with a thinner deck that could just about draw itself and set me up well to pile out for the win.
This was decided purely by not going for marauders. with marauder/silver opening a embassy/hunting grounds/plaza will deal ruins faster than you got money density to hit 3p. Also with militia weakens alchemists when played each turn as they allow you redraw to 6

Transmute, Courtyard, Shanty Town, Alchemist, Cartographer, Merchant Ship, Pillage, Trading Post, Altar, Grand Market
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140731/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1406853195177.txt

Temron began on 5/2 with a trading post. This thinned out his deck and set him up well to pick up many grand markets and win the alchemist split.

On 3/4 I opened silver/potion. An initial shanty town might have been better than silver and would have provided more draw or let me play my altar and trader together. Or maybe I should have went gold over altar and bought a trading post over cartographer the following turn.

Anyways, I was chasing after Temron the whole game and wasn't surprised that he won this one.

Well here you need to know what is important and what is not. Alchemist split is not as three alchemists are enough to draw all terminals consisting of 6 silvers, potion and trading post, a grand market split is important. So you should open silver/courtyard and get trading post, potion and 3 alchemists, 2 cartographers and as many gm you can, I could get 6 by turn 12. Altar is mistake as trading post trashes better except copper->cart but you do not need that many of them.

Beggar, Menagerie, Ironmonger, Pirate Ship, Baker, Contraband, Graverobber, Merchant Guild, Torturer, Altar
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140731/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1406854100527.txt

With Baker on the board we both open silver torturer. I chose a baker on my next 5, Temron went for a second Torturer. I liked baker because I thought coin tokens might make it easier to pick up Ironmongers with smaller hands. I'm not sure that was right or not but I did pick up 7 Ironmongers which consistently game me extra actions for Torturer chains.

However Temron also hit 3 estate/2copper hands on both T4 and T6, which greatly slowed him down. His T6 hand was a direct consequence of drawing 3 coppers with Torturer. In this case, playing a baker instead would have left him with a better subsequent hand and more early Ironmongers.

This slow start probably gave me the edge to take the lead.

One other note: With 6 coins on T5, Temron bought an altar. I'm not sure that was  great move as it added a third terminal to the mix. I think I would have went for Ironmonger.

You both missed strongest engine there, torturer is mistake as it helps oponent more than you. A correct opening is contraband/silver and create menagerie engine, torturer just helps with hands that otherwise did not activate menagerie or altar fodder.

You start with contraband/silver and if oponent is smart to deny you altar gain a gold then get altar, ironmorgers, bakers, merchant guilds and for extra fun gaining provinces by graverobbing bakers gained by altar.

Great Hall, Swindler, Fortress, Moneylender, Apprentice, Ghost Ship, Highway, Mystic, Saboteur, Grand Market
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140731/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1406854696098.txt

Apprentice and fortress made this a great board for draw. Moneylender helped thin out our decks and build to grandmarkets. Swindler added some surprises.

On T15 I could have gone double colony but I was afraid of a dud hand on T16 so kept building. There are a number of ways I could have played the endgame differently.

What sealed my fate though was swindler hitting a colony leaving only 2 colonies for Temron to buy for the win. Had swindler hit anything else I would have been fine. This swindler action is fitting though since Temron's swindler hit 3 of my estates early on.

Well here you both should get more apprentices and fortresses you would need less treasure.  swindler is not that hot here it helps when it hits fortress.

Moat, Squire, Market Square, Oracle, Smugglers, Workshop, Cutpurse, JackOfAllTrades, Harvest, Witch
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140731/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1406855124906.txt

A game with a combo of squire, joat, and witch (market square tossed in for fun)

I thought I had the lead with witches and squire but wound up with more curses.

The game was close for a bit then it wasn't.

I wonder whether double jack with markets for golds would have been quicker.

Here witch looks ignorable as 2 jacks and two squires a silver flood is enough, you made mistake of buying too many squires which act like copper and slowed your cycling and trashing.

Candlestick Maker, Lighthouse, Steward, Bishop, Remake, Trader, Mine, Mint, Hoard, Bank
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140731/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1406855966764.txt

We both went remake into mostly big money.

A few times on hands with 2 coins I chose to buy nothing over candlestick maker or lighthouse hoping to speed up my cycling. That might have been a bad idea.

Here you should try make a hoard engine, you had too much silver there. A basic idea is trash to deck that contains only two hoards and then greening will generate massive amount of gold, you could empty 8 provinces in about 10 turns after setup.

Fastest way for that is get mint and hoard and for that stewards are better than remake as 2 cards allow find extra coppers and draw two cards once they did trashing.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 11:42:37 pm »

i'd like to offer a second perspective on the games

You both missed strongest engine there, torturer is mistake as it helps oponent more than you. A correct opening is contraband/silver and create menagerie engine, torturer just helps with hands that otherwise did not activate menagerie or altar fodder.

You start with contraband/silver and if oponent is smart to deny you altar gain a gold then get altar, ironmorgers, bakers, merchant guilds and for extra fun gaining provinces by graverobbing bakers gained by altar.

this doesn't sound correct. there is no way to deal with quickly enough to make menagerie a thing. it's only effective as a counter to torturers. the correct way to play this board is probably to focus heavily on ironmongers. open ironmonger/ironmonger, get alter with first 6$, baker/merchant guild with 5$, ironmonger with 4$. get some torturers later, and some menageries if your opponent gets torturers.

Well here you need to know what is important and what is not. Alchemist split is not as three alchemists are enough to draw all terminals consisting of 6 silvers, potion and trading post, a grand market split is important. So you should open silver/courtyard and get trading post, potion and 3 alchemists, 2 cartographers and as many gm you can, I could get 6 by turn 12. Altar is mistake as trading post trashes better except copper->cart but you do not need that many of them.
I don't think you go alchemists at all. You don't need a lot of draw, you just need a slim deck and lots of grand markets. open shanty town/silver and don't buy another treasure for the remainder of the game. Altar is better than trading post, as you don't want to have silver, but you might be forced to get trading post anyway. gained 5$'s should be exclusively cartographers or pillages.

luser

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 08:43:49 am »

this doesn't sound correct. there is no way to deal with quickly enough to make menagerie a thing. it's only effective as a counter to torturers. the correct way to play this board is probably to focus heavily on ironmongers. open ironmonger/ironmonger, get alter with first 6$, baker/merchant guild with 5$, ironmonger with 4$. get some torturers later, and some menageries if your opponent gets torturers.
Shelters dude, that makes a menagerie stronger and ironmorger weaker. You have problem that ironmonger and necro is only source of actions and wasting action on torturer is merchant guild you do not play.

I don't think you go alchemists at all. You don't need a lot of draw, you just need a slim deck and lots of grand markets. open shanty town/silver and don't buy another treasure for the remainder of the game. Altar is better than trading post, as you don't want to have silver, but you might be forced to get trading post anyway. gained 5$'s should be exclusively cartographers or pillages.
That is just awfully slow, Three silvers will get you to grand markets faster and what I tried its beated by alchemist bm of banker bot. You want to trash with altar which takes 2 cards, play pillage that takes card, play 2 spoils for grand market, have and have dead shanty town in hand. I do not see how you want double province when you need first spend two spoils for one grand market and need like 3 cartographers to match these, then you could on next two turns get single grand market and then you could do something interesting.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 02:36:15 pm »

Shelters dude, that makes a menagerie stronger and ironmorger weaker. You have problem that ironmonger and necro is only source of actions and wasting action on torturer is merchant guild you do not play.

That games was with Estats, though: http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140731/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1406854100527.txt

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 04:10:56 pm »
+1

D5: EgorK vs assemble_me
My 4th game this season, this time against EgorK, the only opponent I played against last season. I'm doing well this season, so let's see how this game turns out today. Last season we played 3-3.
As always, I love to read about your thoughts on those games

Game 1:

Beggar, Pearl Diver, Develop, Great Hall, Steward, Storeroom, Urchin, Baron, Feodum, Bandit Camp
Provinces / Estates

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140806/log.505d7a160cf2ef979299a48e.1407341685651.txt

assemble me starts

We both build some enginy kind of decks here. He opens Steward/Silver. I decide that I also want to attack and go for Urchin/Urchin. I'm lucky to collide them in turn three already. I get a bunch of Bandit Camps, Stewards for the draw and Storeroom for +Buy. He goes for a very thin deck with money, two Stewards and a Bandit Camp. I'm not building for double Province turns here. Since we're even on points and I'm first player he goes for the penultimate province, but I can Province+Estate for the win. Mercenary might have been kind of risky here, but it probably payed off. Maybe a midgame Beggar could have been nice for Mercenary fodder.

1-0

Game 2:

Fishing Village, Masquerade, Navigator, Remodel, Silk Road, Wandering Minstrel, Golem, Royal Seal, Border Village, Nobles
Provinces / Estates

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140806/log.505d7a160cf2ef979299a48e.1407342160996.txt

EgorK starts

On 5/2 he opens Royal Seal/- and I of course open Masquerade on 3/4. I decide I just want to go for straight forward Masquerade Big Money and pick up Silver with it. He goes for Fishing Villages, Masquerades and Nobles. With a thin deck he can reliably buy a Province every turn. I didn't think just Nobles and Fishing Village would be good enough to build an engine but: I was wrong.

1-1

Game 3:

Poor House, Doctor, Fishing Village, Alchemist, Caravan, Feodum, Monument, Plaza, Inn, Tribute
Provinces / Shelters

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140806/log.505d7a160cf2ef979299a48e.1407343166520.txt

EgorK starts

We both try to build decks with lots of Monuments here. There's no +Buy but with a lot of Monument an engine seems nice still. I'd like to get a really thin deck and would gladly open Doctor on 4/3 or 5/2, but I have 3/4. He has 4/3 but goes for the Potion right away. So we both get Fishing Village and Potion first. I get Doctor on turn 3 for 4$. I don't think I will get a lot of money to make a big overpay viable so I rather want it early. We both start picking up Alchemists, Monuments and Fishing Villages. I also get some Caravans, he picks up an early Gold. With my thinner deck, I can play my Monuments more often and get a points lead. His mid game Doctors don't hit well. While he has already bought a Province I rather keep buying Alchemists and do still have a lead because I can always draw my deck and play all the Monuments (and win the Alchemist split 6-4). I think about just running piles but join him buying Provinces. Even my "oooops" moment ending my actions prematurely after drawing my deck can't stop me and I win convincingly.

2-1

Game 4:

Fishing Village, Masterpiece, Shanty Town, Sea Hag, Market, Pillage, Rebuild, Treasury, Vault, Wharf
Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140806/log.505d7a160cf2ef979299a48e.1407343797320.txt

EgorK starts

There's Rebuild which is always a big deal. There's also Sea Hag and I think it's hard to ignore Sea Hag here. He opens Fishing Village/Sea Hag where I open Silver/Sea Hag. I'm not not convinced that Rebuild is really better here and decide to join him building that Fishing Village / Wharf Engine, which is usually very strong. He gets his Wharf in turn 4 and also has a second one when I get my first one in turn 8. I get 6 curses and only pick up 3 Wharves and think I have to go for points aggressively. In the end, his better deck helps him to catch up and win. I feel Rebuild should have done better than that... The good news is I will start the last two games.

2-2

Game 5:

Cellar, Herbalist, Pawn, Menagerie, Steward, Herald, Treasure Map, Inn, Trading Post, Altar
Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140806/log.505d7a160cf2ef979299a48e.1407344768649.txt

assemble me starts

This is a nice engine board. There's everything you need except for an attack, the question really is which components you choose. We both decide Herald is the way to go. I open Steward/Silver where he opens Steward/Herald. I don't really like Herald as an opening here, it's not that great early and there are alternatives for draw and actions. My Silver helps me to an Altar in turn 5 which helps me to pick up extra Heralds. With a reasonable amount of Heralds I decide to pick up two Treasure Maps for the money, because that would be enough money for double Province turns, he just buys Golds the usual way. With both Treasure Maps in hand next turn I draw my deck and buy my first Province. One dud hand follows and I buy Menagerie + Pawn for reliability, then I have two double Province turns for the win. After the match, I realized that Treasure actually wasn't the best idea, as a Treasure Map revealed by Herald could have been really bad without the other one in my hand. Here it just worked perfectly. I guess sometimes even something dumb can pay off if you're lucky... I still like my early Silver and my Altar, they helped me for an early lead in building the engine.

3-2

Game 6:

Cellar, Lighthouse, Market Square, Bishop, Bureaucrat, Rats, Salvager, Scout, Ill-Gotten Gains, Border Village
Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140806/log.505d7a160cf2ef979299a48e.1407345430192.txt

assemble me starts

Here we have an IGG board, which is always a big, big deal, but there's also lot of trash for benefit stuff going on. Bishop and Salvager trash that stuff very well, IGG is nice fodder itself and there's also Border Village. You can also activate Market Squares for extra fun. There are also Rats, but no one went for them. I'm opening Silver/Salvager. He decides to open Bishop/Market Square, which signals he wants to trash more and hit 5$ less. I think Salvager is better in IGG games, but I also get a Bishop on a 4$. Turn 3 I can buy my first IGG which is always great as first player. He picks up three more Market Squares and another Bishop. I only get one Market Square and pick up Border Village + IGG whenever I can. After my third IGG he decides to join me in buying those. I can get two Provinces fast and my Bishop helps me for extra points. His extra Golds help him to catch up a bit but the game ends too fast for him.

4-2

Here we go, third 4-2 in a row and before my last match I have actually real chances to get promoted to C. Who would have thought that? Not me, for sure!
Good luck for Egor in his upcoming matches!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:40:52 am by assemble_me »

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 08:15:23 am »
+6

D5: Victor Savenije vs. Assemble Meme

I'm playing for the promotion today! Wow, I wouldn't have expected that. My iso and goko rating both tell me I should struggle around the last positions in our division but the opposite is true: If I win, in other words, get at least 3.5 points, I will get promoted. I'm happy that I don't totally feel under pressure - as said before, winning this group would be a little sensation.

Game 1

Squire, Apothecary, Bridge, Herald, Talisman, Golem, Count, Knights, Rebuild, Soothsayer
Provinces / Shelters

Victor Savenije starts

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140812/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1407868157008.txt

We have a great engine board here, but there's also Rebuild. He encourages me to ignore Rebuild, but I go for it anyway opening double Silver. He opens Silver/Potion. I go for Soothsayer on my first 5$ for extra Golds and Curses for him and pick up Rebuilds and Duchies afterwards. He builds a cool engine with all the available stuff here; Count for trashing, Herald and Golem as Draw/Village, Apothecary for more draw, Bridge as payload and also a knight. Before the game ends, he says he didn't consider the synergy between Knights and Bridges to go for Knights more heavily. But he doesn't need it, he gets two big turns and buys all the green cards for the win. So, the engine was probably much better here than Rebuild, I also think that my Soothsayer was a mistake against a strong trasher like Count, I probably should have picked up a Count myself to gain Duchies instead. For his deck, I'm not convinced you really need Potion. If you can get all Heralds uncontested in a thinned deck, that's a lot of draw. But if both players go for the engine, you probably want the potion cards... Anyways, it worked out very well for him.

0-1

Game 2

Vineyard, Chancellor, Treasure Map, Explorer, Mandarin, Market, Merchant Guild, Pillage, Rogue, Goons
Provinces / Estates

assemble meme starts

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140812/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1407869356407.txt

Not a lot is going on on this board, I just want to play BM with Goons. Vineyard doesn't look really good with only Market and Goons as +Buy and no cheap cantrips. I'm going for a double Silver Opening. He has 5/2 and opens Pillage. After my second shuffle I can pick up two Goons. He picks up a Rogue along the way to recycle his Pillages which is OK I guess and goes for Goons, too. I'm getting a points lead as he doesn't follow me on Duchies right after four Provinces are gone. Duchies are emptied fast. There's only one Province left and I pick up two Mandarines as I try to hit 8$ to end the game for a win. But he has Goons both turns, so that I can't buy the province and with extra buys from markets he gets enough VP tokens and Estates to actually gain a seven point lead. With also the Estates gone, I decide to get more Goons and use all my buys for more VP tokens. I try the Mandarin trick again putting two Silvers on top of my deck and can finally hit 8$ for the win. So, although this board didn't look all that spectacular, the game was actually very tense with both me and him turning the tables when it had already looked quite hopeless for either of us. He says that it was probably a mistake on his side not to pick up any Golds. Maybe i should have delayed going for Duchies a little longer.

1-1

Game 3

Pawn, Apothecary, Bishop, Death Cart, Smithy, Butcher, Count, Explorer, Library, Mystic
Provinces / Estates

assemble meme starts

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140812/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1407870348724.txt

I want to build an Apothecary engine here, Apothecary/Mystic looks really good. I want to go for it, adding Butcher to trash Estates into Pawns for +Buy, so I open Potion/Silver. He opens Bishop/Silver and tries to go for a golden Deck with Count for trashing. I'm a bit worried, I didn't see that from the start but Apothecary seems stronger here. He can't get his deck under control. I don't play optimally but still manage to take the lead and win convincingly.

2-1

Game 4

Duchess, Embargo, Squire, Forager, Death Cart, Scout, City, Mine, Minion, Expand
Provinces / Shelters

Victor Savenije starts

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140812/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1407871977567.txt

The big thing here is Minion. I open Forager/Silver and he opens Forager/Death Cart. His Death Cart doesn't really help him early and I can win the Minion split 6-4, but it's not all that bad for him, because you can add Cities now for more draw. He gets a second Death Cart which helps him to a double Province turn. That means I'm behind and have to think a long time because I don't see a good way to come back. I add Duchies and pick up Duchesses with them for more money. I actually wanted to pick up a Death Cart myself somewhere, but couldn't find the right time for it. His Death Carts probably won the game for him, as I can't catch up.

2-2

Game 5

Nomad Camp, Walled Village, Apprentice, Counterfeit, Ghost Ship, Governor, Knights, Minion, Harem, Forge
Provinces/Estates

assemble meme starts

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140812/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1407873303296.txt

Here we have another crazy Governor board with Counterfeit and Apprentice to help for more craziness. Forge could work too, but no one went for it here and probably the other components are just better.
I have to think for a long time if I want to open Governor or Counterfeit on 5/2. Ghost Ship seems possible, too. I decide to go for Governor first. He has 2/5 and chooses Counterfeit, adding Apprentice next. My next 5s are two Counterfeits. We both add a Nomad Camp along the way. With 4 Governors on both sides he has a big turn for double Governor winning the split 6-4, I pick up a second Apprentice and a Province. He can get a big quad Province turn next and I feel I'm almost dead. I'm having a "dud" hand without Apprentices or Governors, but I still have 10$ and two buys for double Duchy. The good thing is, he has a real dud hand with three Provinces and two Counterfeits. Now my good cards are to come, I blow up a Gold and an Estate with my Apprentices finding three Governors and enough money to remodel two Golds and buying the last Province.

3-2

Game 6

Chapel, Pearl Diver, Oasis, Watchtower, Wishing Well, Mining Village, Talisman, Trader, Haggler, Mint
Provinces / Estates

Victor Savenije starts

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140812/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1407874323064.txt

So this is my last game this season. I have to draw at least to get promoted. But so far today, the start player has always won. He opens Chapel/Haggler on 2/5 and I go for Chapel/Wishing Well on 4/3. I guess Haggler is much better but his Chapel misses the shuffle and also haggling the Mint doesn't work as you'd wish it would. Still, he manages to get the economy back into his deck faster and not having the opportunity to trash his Estates early turns out to be quite useful. We're even on Provinces but he has the extra Estate and I have to go for Duchies with lots of 8$ hands and he has to miss 5$, which almost can't happen here, and it doesn't. Maybe I should have gotten a second Silver over the second Wishing Well or the second Haggler. Not too sure if just ignoring Chapel would have been better here...

3-3

Wow, what a match. Actually it was pretty much fun. Thanks a lot to Victor/Zappie for playing and for having a nice chat along the way. As said before, I'm not terribly worried to have missed getting promoted; I would have liked the challenge but I probably would have gotten punched hard by those big boys in C ;). I've played well this season and can be proud with this result, but still, it was so close... [Add Freddie Mercury meme here ;)]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:57:30 am by assemble_me »

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 08:58:23 am »
+2

Game 6 - His 5/2 is huge here but Chapel on T5 puts you in the lead.  Your turn 5 should be a Silver instead of Wishing Well.  The 1st WW is correct imo as you significantly lower your chances of drawing chapel on T5.  Then on T6, trash a single copper and estate instead of 2 copper and estate.  This allows you to buy another Silver instead of a worthless Pearl Diver.

If you did those things your deck would have, 1 Chapel, 1 Wishing Well, 4 Copper and 3 Silver.  Ignoring Cantrips for calculating money density you would have $1.25/Card.  In your deck you actually had $1/Card (also ignoring Cantrips).  BM/Chapel is usually pretty weak.  If you go for it you should have a pretty good reason to.  In this game you do because Haggler will be played often and will maintain your deck's integrity while greening.  However in BM/Chapel style games you need to be careful not to be too aggressive in trashing.  It should be noted that Mint can be skipped.  Haggler will just be better as it gives +$2 and with Province also gains Gold.

If you had done the things I mentioned on turns 5 and 6 I think you could have easily walked away with a win.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 09:41:13 am »

Game 6 - His 5/2 is huge here but Chapel on T5 puts you in the lead.  Your turn 5 should be a Silver instead of Wishing Well.  The 1st WW is correct imo as you significantly lower your chances of drawing chapel on T5.  Then on T6, trash a single copper and estate instead of 2 copper and estate.  This allows you to buy another Silver instead of a worthless Pearl Diver.

If you did those things your deck would have, 1 Chapel, 1 Wishing Well, 4 Copper and 3 Silver.  Ignoring Cantrips for calculating money density you would have $1.25/Card.  In your deck you actually had $1/Card (also ignoring Cantrips).  BM/Chapel is usually pretty weak.  If you go for it you should have a pretty good reason to.  In this game you do because Haggler will be played often and will maintain your deck's integrity while greening.  However in BM/Chapel style games you need to be careful not to be too aggressive in trashing.  It should be noted that Mint can be skipped.  Haggler will just be better as it gives +$2 and with Province also gains Gold.

If you had done the things I mentioned on turns 5 and 6 I think you could have easily walked away with a win.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts. In many points what you say supports what I said and felt. I might have picked up that second Silver over the second WW myself (as seen in my post) but I probably wouldn't have come up with the idea of trashing only one Copper that next turn. And yeah, I mostly don't like Chapel in BM but with Haggler I thought it should be good. But I felt my build up was too slow, it took too long until I had my first Province+Gold turn. Now I have a clue why.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:45:19 am by assemble_me »

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 10:57:02 am »
+1

You like the Chapel/WW opening, though? I would be inclined to try Chapel/MV, hoping to trash it to gain an early Haggler. Looking at his actual draws, it seems that would have been unsuccessful: the draw was perfect for WW, and not good for MV; but still, having that optional $2+card floating around would have helped. It looks like it would have enabled a Haggler one shuffle earlier than in the actual game.

matildha

• Swindler
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2014, 01:30:10 pm »

i'll be back

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 09:09:19 am »

shraeye vs AHoppy 2-4

Storeroom, Warehouse, Conspirator, Moneylender, Navigator, Rats, Golem, Cartographer, Rebuild, Grand Market
Rebuild game. I try to mix things up with Golem and a Grand Market as well. Tense finish, but in the end, I don't make it.
0-1

Doctor, Advisor, Tournament, Harvest, Highway, Hunting Party, Mountebank, Rabble, Rebuild, Soothsayer
Colony game, where the idea is to trash a bit with Doctor, use Mountebank to slow the other, and Hunting Party for consistency. Rebuild also plays a role in the endgame.
We both open doctor/Silver, and my doctor does very little for me early game.  I feel like I must have played it badly. On our first 5, we both ignore Rebuild (it's a Colony game) and buy Mountebanks; curses end up splitting 5-5. AHoppy gets a T9 Province and mixes in a Tournament; this is likely the deciding factor, and I'm unable to catch back up.
0-2

Candlestick Maker, Steward, Baron, Throne Room, Bandit Camp, Cache, Jester, Mystic, Torturer, Border Village
Border Village/Torturer is a good combo, Steward trashing helps thin to get there, and Jester also does a lot of damage.  Everything is helped by the presence of Throne Room.
Also Candlestick Maker helps me with consistency, and that's a card AHoppy looks off entirely.  I'm not sure that's the right decision, but I do get frustrated with having too many in my own deck.  Thus, the optimum is likely between 0 and 3. AHoppy ends up with Mystics, a card that I never really give a thought to unless there are obvious activators around (cards that let me put back things in particular order). I disagree with AHoppy's play of Steward for draw instead of trashing early on; but I think the game is decided by valuing Jester over Mystic, and winning the ThroneRoom split 7-3 to keep my engine running.
1-2

Duchess, Embargo, Haven, Great Hall, Herald, Remodel, Embassy, Rabble, Tactician, Expand
Very unclear what direction this board is suited for. Probably BM+Embassy is a strong option here, but I open 5/2 and don't want to get an early Embassy. We both settle for Tacticians and Rabbles also, which sort of gives too many terminals.
2-2

Stonemason, Marauder, Moneylender, Noble Brigand, Rats, Council Room, Mint, Stables, Upgrade, Nobles
A board with a lot of power at the 5-level.  AHoppy opens 5/2 and grabs upgrade, and I'm forced to open Moneylender/Silver trying to hit 5 and catch up. AHoppy hits a 5 copper turn and buys Mint, that early lead keeps him solidly in front the entire game. I try to play Noble Brigand to hold him back, but it doesn't work out, despite a high percentage of successful hits.
2-3

Pearl Diver, Apothecary, Alchemist, Death Cart, Council Room, Ghost Ship, Mystic, Rogue, Saboteur, Trading Post
There are again a lot of 5-cost cards, and we are forced to make the choice of what terminal we want.  I pick Rogue (incorrectly, though I get a bit lucky), and AHoppy picks Council Room. We both try to stock up on Alchemist/Apothecaries, but my 2nd potion is likely a mistake. Death Cart purchase on Turn 13 is very much a mistake.
2-4

luser

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 10:13:14 pm »

shraeye vs AHoppy 2-4

Storeroom, Warehouse, Conspirator, Moneylender, Navigator, Rats, Golem, Cartographer, Rebuild, Grand Market
Rebuild game. I try to mix things up with Golem and a Grand Market as well. Tense finish, but in the end, I don't make it.
0-1

Here potion was mistake as golem is more expensive than gold. What both of you ignored is warehouse which helps rebuild by cycling and avoiding situations when you cant rebuild estate because its in hand. It also synergizes with conspirators so I would open either moneylender/silver or conspirator/silver then get 2 rebuilds on 5 then duchy, conspirators at 4 and warehouses at 3, possibly getting warehouse on 4 when there would be too many conspirators.

Doctor, Advisor, Tournament, Harvest, Highway, Hunting Party, Mountebank, Rabble, Rebuild, Soothsayer
Colony game, where the idea is to trash a bit with Doctor, use Mountebank to slow the other, and Hunting Party for consistency. Rebuild also plays a role in the endgame.
We both open doctor/Silver, and my doctor does very little for me early game.  I feel like I must have played it badly. On our first 5, we both ignore Rebuild (it's a Colony game) and buy Mountebanks; curses end up splitting 5-5. AHoppy gets a T9 Province and mixes in a Tournament; this is likely the deciding factor, and I'm unable to catch back up.
0-2
No deciding factors was mainly that initially he trashed estate instead copper with doctor and gave you curse+copper and got hunting party shuffle earlier than you, also having 6 silvers in colony game did not help. His province was likely mistake, prizes do not help that much here and its 3+ extra uniques. Also rebuild antisynergizes with hunting parties it will cause reshuffle and you will draw only junk discarded by parties for next few turns.

As game goes you should read article about hunting party, gold instead second hunting party was mistake as you want play mountebank each turn. I would open silver/silver, got mountebank followed by hunting parties, I would buy doctor when I could overpay to trash 5+cards

Candlestick Maker, Steward, Baron, Throne Room, Bandit Camp, Cache, Jester, Mystic, Torturer, Border Village
Border Village/Torturer is a good combo, Steward trashing helps thin to get there, and Jester also does a lot of damage.  Everything is helped by the presence of Throne Room.
Also Candlestick Maker helps me with consistency, and that's a card AHoppy looks off entirely.  I'm not sure that's the right decision, but I do get frustrated with having too many in my own deck.  Thus, the optimum is likely between 0 and 3. AHoppy ends up with Mystics, a card that I never really give a thought to unless there are obvious activators around (cards that let me put back things in particular order). I disagree with AHoppy's play of Steward for draw instead of trashing early on; but I think the game is decided by valuing Jester over Mystic, and winning the ThroneRoom split 7-3 to keep my engine running.
1-2

Here with 5-2 I would get torturer and pray it slows down oponent a bit. Jester tends to be weaker than torturer unless you get lucky and hit opening buy. A 3-4opening is better as you could open baron/steward or double steward which will quicky trash, and with 6 get border villages+torturers for draw. A second steward is needed, you ended without any of coppers trashed. Here you need one candlestick maker for buy if you did not get baron, I would also get bandit camps for money, you do not need that many throne rooms with trim deck. I would add jester when you could draw deck to gain extra cards, junking here is sorta ignorable as with running engine steward will trash these.

Duchess, Embargo, Haven, Great Hall, Herald, Remodel, Embassy, Rabble, Tactician, Expand
Very unclear what direction this board is suited for. Probably BM+Embassy is a strong option here, but I open 5/2 and don't want to get an early Embassy. We both settle for Tacticians and Rabbles also, which sort of gives too many terminals.
2-2
Here I would get embassy instead tactician and gold instead expand. Ahoppy heralds are look too slow as you could embargo them and trying remodel copper to duchess to herald looks slow and uninteded tactician could prematurely end turn.

Stonemason, Marauder, Moneylender, Noble Brigand, Rats, Council Room, Mint, Stables, Upgrade, Nobles
A board with a lot of power at the 5-level.  AHoppy opens 5/2 and grabs upgrade, and I'm forced to open Moneylender/Silver trying to hit 5 and catch up. AHoppy hits a 5 copper turn and buys Mint, that early lead keeps him solidly in front the entire game. I try to play Noble Brigand to hold him back, but it doesn't work out, despite a high percentage of successful hits.
2-3
Here he got quite lucky but I think that with his mistakes you had chance. You should not get marauder which is ignorable here and get silver instead. For brigand I would try him at turn 5 hoping it hits his gold. then build stables engine.
However if he instead upgrading mint into gold and nobles instead upgrade estate then get few stables, gold, council room and use mint to hit double province territory you would not have much chances.

Pearl Diver, Apothecary, Alchemist, Death Cart, Council Room, Ghost Ship, Mystic, Rogue, Saboteur, Trading Post
There are again a lot of 5-cost cards, and we are forced to make the choice of what terminal we want.  I pick Rogue (incorrectly, though I get a bit lucky), and AHoppy picks Council Room. We both try to stock up on Alchemist/Apothecaries, but my 2nd potion is likely a mistake. Death Cart purchase on Turn 13 is very much a mistake.
2-4
Here main problem was potion missing reshuffle. Here I would go for apothecary/mystic combo, possibly with trading post to trim deck.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 20 queries.